Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: New Station To Station has arrived
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 13, 2010 08:40

whitem8
So Nikolai, tell me about the 5.1 mix. Is that all that's on the DVD?

AB summed it up succinctly. A disappointment. The CD is incredible, and have I mentioned the vinyl ...?grinning smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 13, 2010 10:02

cc
Erik_Snow
I think the early 2002 shows featured Bowie's finest performances of the last 30 years.

Erik, if by early you mean October 2002, that would include the small club show I saw at St. Ann's Warehouse in NYC ... a magical evening, just weeks after I saw the Stones at Roseland. And it was a better show!

haven't been able to order my copy of the Station to Station reissue yet, but will shortly ... I may prioritize the Iggy/Williamson Kill City disc, if my finances dictate a choice.

St Ann's Warehouse....lucky you, I read a review about that concert somewhere. Yes I meant the summer and autumn shows 2002. My sentence above was a bit incorrect; I meant that the 2002 shows were superior to 2003 and 2004 (Reality tour)
By 2003, I think Bowie changed his singing - and the mood created onstage, a bit - and I don't regard those later shows as high as the 2002 shows. But maybe I've just "heard the wrong shows"....but to me, he was more "into it" in 2002.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 13, 2010 10:07

ab
The 5.1 surround mix of Station to Station can be summed up as follows: the trains at the beginning of the title track swirl around the room, then the album is primarily front, rear and subwoofer speakers with the rear speakers being echo off the back wall of the soundstage. If you're expecting to be bombarded from all angles all the time, you may be disappointed. Try the stereo surround mix instead.

So not like the stunning Young Americans 5.1 mix then? What a real shame.

Date: October 13, 2010 11:37

Silver Dagger
ab
The 5.1 surround mix of Station to Station can be summed up as follows: the trains at the beginning of the title track swirl around the room, then the album is primarily front, rear and subwoofer speakers with the rear speakers being echo off the back wall of the soundstage. If you're expecting to be bombarded from all angles all the time, you may be disappointed. Try the stereo surround mix instead.

I found it odd that Maslin did such a great job on the CD, but couldn't do the same for the 5.1.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 13, 2010 18:34

Although not about the album, you guys might enjoy reading this.

[www.slate.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 14, 2010 04:43

Thanks loog, i will give a look....what caught my eye was the bit on the Hunger, which I thought was fantastic! And he was great in it.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: October 14, 2010 09:28

I saw the N.Y. show at the Roseland where they performed all of Low followed by all of Heathen (we were going to be in New York so I joined the fan club a couple months before to secure tix) and, as great as it was to see Bowie in a small-ish venue (and it was great), I recall that a lot of people were hoping Ziggy would get the full album treatment given that it was the 30th anniversary of that classic and they were selling lots of Ziggy paraphernalia at the merch booth. Still, in retrospect and having picked up the boot of the show, getting to hear all of Low was pretty cool.

On the other hand, the Reality tour show I caught (Vancouver) was just a blast and all through the set I was thrilled by the song selection-All the Young Dudes! Under Pressure! Panic in Detroit! Five Years! Ziggy!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 14, 2010 10:05

You are very lucky andrewm! I am envious, I would have loved to see that show. While you may have wanted Ziggy, Low and Heathen are more alike. Which is why Bowie did that show, he really was inspired by LOW when making Heathen. I asked him about this when I met him and he nodded and winked and said maybe he should have called it High.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-14 10:06 by whitem8.

Date: October 14, 2010 11:34

I saw the Low/Heathen show did at the Royal Festival Hall in London. We were three rows from the stage. An incredible experience.

Date: October 14, 2010 11:35

whitem8
Thanks loog, i will give a look....what caught my eye was the bit on the Hunger, which I thought was fantastic! And he was great in it.

An underrated film - and a haunting performance by Bowie. Directed by Tony Scott, when he still had aspirations to be an auteur.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 14, 2010 12:57

Nikolai
Silver Dagger
ab

I found it odd that Maslin did such a great job on the CD, but couldn't do the same for the 5.1.

Got mine last night and yes, it sounds amazing. I'm a bit confused as it says it's taken from the original analogue recording. Has it been tweaked? I'd have thought that they would have needed to do a digital transfer to beef up the sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-14 15:10 by Silver Dagger.

Date: October 14, 2010 13:14

Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
ab

Got mine last night and yes, it sounds amazing. I'm a bit confused as it says it's taken from the original analogue recording. Has it been tweaked? I'd have thought that they would have need to do a digital transfer to beef up the sound.

Maslin went back to the original tapes - as opposed to the digital files (as per the 1999 EMI reissues) - transferred them to digital and worked on them. I suspect a little bit of remixing went on, because you can hear stuff on the 2010 CD you can't on the 1985 master (included in the box).

Now, the vinyl version of the 2010 reissue is cut from analogue as opposed to digital, making it sound even better than the CD.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: October 14, 2010 21:49

Could someone please upload the Low/Heathen boot from Roseland ballroom?

couldn´t find it to download - please help

thx

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 15, 2010 05:35

Erik_Snow
I think the early 2002 shows featured Bowie's finest performances of the last 30 years. But if we're speaking of his entire career....1976 and 1978 are my favourites, by far.

As a young just turned 13 year old, I saw my first concert in 1976 when Bowie brought his show to Buffalo at the old Aud where "Heartbreakers In Buffalo" was recorded a year earlier. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to attend that show.

I didn't even pay, a friend of mine went with me and we snuck in a couple hours early and hid up in the ceilings by the roof. I remember being amazed by the soundcheck. I kept asking my friend if the concert was going to be loud as I had no idea what to expect.

What really freaked me out was that black n white silent film they played at the start of the show with that guy getting his eye slit. Then on comes Bowie with his white ruffled shirt and black pants belting out songs from the mic stand on a plain black stage with what I think was just white lighting. What a thrill and lasting memory. I still have that stub sitting on top of my concert stub pile.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 15, 2010 06:38

Footage of 1976 pretour rehearsals in Vancouver:

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 18, 2010 01:11

>What really freaked me out was that black n white silent film they played at the start of the show with that guy getting his eye slit

It's a woman -- UN CHIEN ANDALOU, a short film by Luis Bunuel & Salvador Dali.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 18, 2010 01:27

Glam Descendant
>What really freaked me out was that black n white silent film they played at the start of the show with that guy getting his eye slit

It's a woman -- UN CHIEN ANDALOU, a short film by Luis Bunuel & Salvador Dali.

Yeah man !!I remember that well, freaked me out too back then

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 18, 2010 01:33

loog droog

[www.slate.com]

Thanks for that. I had BAAL on a double 7" set; is it available on DVD?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:54

Not as far as I know.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 18, 2010 03:01

...Word On A Wing to Stay...quite the sequence...great memories.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: October 18, 2010 07:32

Feb. 6, 1976..Bowie played the Cow Palace in SF, Ca...I remember a great show but also how frail he appeared...I took a lot of photos that night which you can view on my website.. www.peterstupar.com

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: October 18, 2010 10:11

Great photos, peter! thank you for the link. And great site!

Date: October 18, 2010 12:42

Glam Descendant
loog droog

[www.slate.com]

Thanks for that. I had BAAL on a double 7" set; is it available on DVD?

No, bizarrely. Then again, Cracked Actor isn't available either. The BBC have probably wiped the tapes.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: October 18, 2010 13:36

we were shown "un chien andalou" at school... needless to say the eye-scene got some reactions!
The live discs of this new Station To Station are fantastic, I was only 11 when they played Helsinki with this band, all I knew about Bowie was that the neighborhood bad girl was a fan and showed us these pictures of this weird guy with red hair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-18 13:38 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 18, 2010 14:26

got mine this morning; (+ Bristish Steel 30th anniversary)
Nice to see "Original analog master" on a cd ..

"MAY 8, 76 GUESTS MICK KEITH AND BILLY WATCH THE SHOW FROM THE WINGS
THE STONES ARE STAYING AT THE MONTCALM HOTEL"

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: October 18, 2010 15:55

I bought mine in Spain, friends were laughing on such "Spanish souvenir" taken to Russiasmiling smiley

Great the edition has that history of album and tour ...

toomuchforme :"MAY 8, 76 GUESTS MICK KEITH AND BILLY WATCH THE SHOW FROM THE WINGS

...And about working on Station in Jamayka and spending time at Keiths )

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 18, 2010 17:54

toomuchforme

"MAY 8, 76 GUESTS MICK KEITH AND BILLY WATCH THE SHOW FROM THE WINGS

this is a quote from the booklet or?

Date: October 18, 2010 22:27

Has anybody the bootleg of the 2002 roseland show and can upload it somewhere or help me with a link to a download please?

I need to hear it!

thx

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 19, 2010 00:01

Koschi
Has anybody the bootleg of the 2002 roseland show and can upload it somewhere or help me with a link to a download please?

I need to hear it!

thx

Paris 2002, real excellent concert, with 11 bonus tracks from Roseland 2002 (incl. all the songs from "Low" ) : [www.dimeadozen.org]

Royal Albert Hall 2002 - the entire Low was performed.... :
[www.hungercity.org]

Date: October 19, 2010 08:35

Thank you very much erik

downloading Paris right now - can´t wait to hear it

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home