Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: What's The Greatest Live Album Of All Time
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 6, 2010 11:13

Most of the pre 1975 James Brown live albums are hard to beat

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 6, 2010 15:18

Johnny Winter: Captured Live
The Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: October 6, 2010 15:56

polythene sam
Another vote for JB at the Apollo

And another one, as well the first one ('63) as the two parts of '65

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:27

The Quine tapes? im a big Velvets fan but i dont like these recordings much they are very cold sounding. I love "1969" and "Live at Maxs" though especially the special edition "The legendaly guitar amp tape" is a great live bootleg too.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 6, 2010 22:41

humanriff77
The Quine tapes? im a big Velvets fan but i dont like these recordings much they are very cold sounding. I love "1969" and "Live at Maxs" though especially the special edition "The legendaly guitar amp tape" is a great live bootleg too.

I'm a big VU fan and love Live at Max's and 1969 too. Didn't know about the 'legendary guitar amp tape", I will have to seek that out. Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and count me as another vote for James Brown 'Live at the Apollo'!

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 7, 2010 04:36

Love You Live
Love Power Peace
Say It Live and Loud: Dallas, 1968

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 7, 2010 13:31

Depending on the day...

Brussels Affair - Rolling Stones
Europe 72 - Grateful Dead
Live at the Filmore - Allman Brothers
Live at Leeds - The Who
Before The Flood - Dylan and The Band
Gratitude - Earth, Wind & Fire
Live at Budokan - Cheap Trick
Ya Ya's - Rolling Stones
Live at the Apollo - James Brown
Band of Gypsies - Hendrix

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 7, 2010 15:49

spsimmons
Believe it or not, my favorite is REO Speedwagon "You Get What You Play For". Very hard rockin' album. Not the soft ballad drivel that the later REO became.

ezactly right - a fine album.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 7, 2010 15:50

I love Cheap Trick at Budokan

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 7, 2010 18:42

Wasn't Cheap Trick's live album actually done in a studio?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 7, 2010 20:23

Maybe we should start a new thread for live albums that aren't as live as they puport to be. Sadly some of my favourite bands seem to have been the biggest culprits, and they were all great live bands who never used any trickery during their performances. So:

Judas Priest - unleashed in the East (a.k.a. Unleashed in the studio)

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Kiss alive 2 - Tomorrow and tonite was a completely studio version with audience added

AC/DC - If you want blood - I read recently that Bons vocal was a studio cut. May explain why the Glasgow Apollo video footage has never been released despite other songs that were filmed at the gig being available.

Cheap Trick at Budokan / UFO live - not surprised to read here about total overdubs.

But....didn't the Stones do this also in the 60's?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 20:25 by letitloose.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 7, 2010 23:52

Ya Ya's
Brussels Affair
Stupidity by Dr Feelgood

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: October 8, 2010 15:10

STATUS QUO LIVE! It's pure energy, the crowd at the Glasgow Apollo, the introduction, the band firing up their instruments and the PA before they start of. The production is great and I never played an album more often in my youth than this one.

KISS ALIVE! Allthoygh heavily dubbed Ace Frehley's double distortion les Paul sound rips though your body, especially on my ancient Japanese vinyl version. The intro to Cold Gin never sounded fiercier!!

Iron Maiden Life After Death one of the only post 70's classic live albums that captures a band in full flow with an amzing setlist, especially the side 4 recorded in 1984 at london's Hammersmith Odeon is killer.

Oh, we are at a Stones Forum? To me Get Yer Ya Ya's is the only GREAT Stones live album, official one I mean. The deluxe version with the bonustracks is stunning and it's right there at the top for me with Status Quo Live! Alos Still Life I am very fond off despite being too cut up to experience it as a true live document I have great and fond memories of it, it's more nostalgia than great but that's what maybe makes an album a classic? The later Stones live albums never added up to the Legacy in my opinion. Heavily dubbed, strange song combinations and running order, especially the 99 one of which i now even recall the title...uh No Security? I DO like Stripped though especially the Toshiba Studios material. i heard there's outtakes of those sessions on a bootleg Stripped Companion. Does anyone know where Ican dowbnload that one for on my Ipod? Love to hear those songs!

Date: October 8, 2010 17:23

you know maiden themselves say live after death might be the worst live maiden album. bruce says the mix is bad and his voice was tired that night since it was towards the end of the tour

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 9, 2010 08:47

Hi Letitloose. The AC/DC Apollo vids have been released on Family Jewels and Plug Me In DVD's. The music on the videos is identical to the If You Want Blood Album including vocals. I read previously that that album doesn't have any overdubs on it. Not sure if it's true or not!
Also, I don't think Budokan has much overdubs. If anything, they could get rid of some of the screaming! In the liner notes to the deluxe version double CD which contains the whole concert, Robin Zander says that he's talking slow before the songs like Surrender and I Want You.. because he was speaking to a Japanese audience who might not understand English that well.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 9, 2010 10:39

mickijaggeroo
Besides the obvious Stones live albums, Live and Dangerous by Thin Lizzy still does it for me.

I would quote this as a studio album winking smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 11, 2010 02:50

Kiss Alive! I'm not the only one!
I know most of it was smoothed out in the studio but I don't care.
People laugh when I mention this, but the guitars sting and the songs have a gritty feel. These guys were Stones fans and who can hear it.
The great Lester Bangs considered this lp a masterpiece.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: October 11, 2010 04:00

I've made a cd with my favourite Stones bootleg versions, nothing beats that one! Apart from bootlegs:

1 Ya-Ya's
2 Aretha Franklin: Live at Fillmore West
3 James Brown: Live at the Apollo

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: October 11, 2010 15:48

The Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Anthology is a good one.
How about Jackson Browne's Running On Empty? Recorded on stages, hotel rooms,and buses...I sure that some studio work may've gone into it but the concept was pretty different.
InstaLive from Mansfeild Mass. Allamn Brothers Band 2004- opened with Mountain Jam and never stopped until they ended with Mountain Jam 2+ hours later.
Derek and The Dominos at the Fillmore

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: October 11, 2010 21:44

For me it's Ya-Yas. How often are the live versions better than the studio versions? Right here. The solo on Sympathy is one of the best live solos ever.

Chicago's Live at Carnegie Hall & J Geils Full House also merit a mention.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home