Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Santana - Can't You Hear Me Knocking Featuring Scott Weiland
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:58

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Santana - Can't You Hear Me Knocking Featuring Scott Weiland
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 21, 2010 02:58

Love it.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 21, 2010 03:11

interesting. dont like santana, kinda even hate scott weiland.
but this version rocks! well, its a killer song...but well...i'm impressed!
where's that version from?
thanks for posting....

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 21, 2010 04:20

The original by the Stones was heavily influenced by Santana.
This version rocks..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 21, 2010 06:25

Sounds like Alice Cooper singing. That's not a compliment.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: September 21, 2010 07:59

Not bad, Carlos overplays it though and it never finds the groove.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 21, 2010 11:27

This is one of my all time top favorite Stones song. And to be fair, it is hard for me to listen to this objectively. There are parts of it that are ok, but like was posted above it has no GROOVE. It lacks that soul punch of a groove that just hooks you into the trance of decadence. Could have, should have, and possibly would have been better with less of a "produced" arrangement with a more of a kick. I think the Crowes do a much better cover of this...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:05

ROPENI
This version rocks..

This time it's the other way around. He must be a Stones fan to play it like this.smiling smiley

Date: September 21, 2010 13:50

Fantastic version! Really puts things in perspective, imo. Yeah, we are fans of the Stones, and we love "our" guitar players, but Carlos Santana is an incredible guitarist, no doubt about it, whether one likes his style or not.

I've never cared much for Weiland, but this time he did a good job, imo.

I'm gonna put on Santana's three first albums now winking smiley

Posted by: novica ()
Date: September 21, 2010 14:18

great version !thumbs up

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 21, 2010 15:36

About a third of this album is tremendous including this track despite the whole effort being little more than guitar karoake.

A third is mediocre including Whole Lotta Love and a third of it is just plain awful including Smoke On The Water and Joe Cocker's 'Little Wing.'

Definitely a download title

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 21, 2010 16:06

The backup singers (on "Can´t you hear me knocking") seems quantized....so sterile...too on-beat.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 21, 2010 18:46

RobberBride
The backup singers (on "Can´t you hear me knocking") seems quantized....so sterile...too on-beat.

The whole album has a mechanized vibe like a band just played to the originals and then Carlos soloed over top without ever having interacted with other LIVE musicians. I'm guessing that's exactly how it was done.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 21, 2010 18:51

I am a big fan of Weiland, appreciate some of Santana's work and I love the Stones original but this take just doesn't cut it for me. The first part of the song totally lacks the groove of the original. Overplayed, overproduced, superfluous. Then again, it's next to impossible to surpass the original.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 21, 2010 19:50

I respect Santana, but this is disappointing . If this would be the original nobody would remember this one. The question comes to my mind: what is it what the Stones make so special ? At least they let their music breath (don`t play ten notes in every second) , the groove, room , dirt, and feel ! Santana has feel, but not on this one. By the way this was a choice of Weiland and as far as I remember Santana doesn`t really like the Stones..

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 21, 2010 20:45

There is no soul in this version.
Could be a machine playing together with Santana's guiatr.
The only somehow good thing on this song is Santana's guitar - the rest seems so mechanic /sterile. Stones guitar playing is much more sophisticated.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 21, 2010 21:21

I'll just find a download. I'm not giving Carlos anymore money. He can he a real douche bag in person.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 21, 2010 21:23

trainarollin
I'll just find a download. I'm not giving Carlos anymore money. He can he a real douche bag in person.

we douche bags need money just as much as the next jackass.

Date: September 21, 2010 21:40

how is santana a douche trainarollin?

Date: September 21, 2010 22:45

T&A
trainarollin

how do you like this song by carlos? to me carlos rocks and he could play anything he wants and put his own dna stamp on it and it's classic carlos!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 21, 2010 23:47

It is a version. At least someone had the balls to give it a go.

Date: September 21, 2010 23:56

The Greek
T&A
trainarollin

how do you like this song by carlos? to me carlos rocks and he could play anything he wants and put his own dna stamp on it and it's classic carlos!

haven't listened to it yet. will await my free illegal download and get back to you. but, i like douche bags like carlos alot, so i'm pre-inclined to like it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2010 00:06

Santana is a guitarist who can't shut up : he constantly adds little fills bits of riffs that make this version tirering... Plus the tempo is MUCH too fast.

This botched cover makes me realize how clever and tasty the Stones were in studio.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: September 22, 2010 00:30

ROPENI
This version rocks..

I read an interview with Keith a few years back and he said it was not influenced by Santana. I can't remember where I read it. Maybe when he was on the cover of Billboard magazine a few years back.

Rob

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:35

originalstones
ROPENI
This version rocks..

I read an interview with Keith a few years back and he said it was not influenced by Santana. I can't remember where I read it. Maybe when he was on the cover of Billboard magazine a few years back.

Rob

With all due respect, Keith can sometimes talk shit,not to start anything but in the original,the second part of that song is pure Santana groove,but many times the Stones have been known,not to give credit where credit is due....

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: September 22, 2010 02:15

Damn. I had high hopes for this, and really wanted to like it. I just read the interview with Santana in the new (3D!) issue of Guitar World and was all excited about it... (btw, if you're a Zep fan, the new issue of GW is great!)

In general, I like Santana lot, especially his early stuff. That said, I gotta agree with those that said Carlo didn't find the groove on this...it sorta has a 'paint by numbers' feel to it. Same goes for his version of Whole Lotta Love, unfortunately (just checked it out on youtube).

In the GW interview, Carlos talks about getting together top musicians for this album that he really liked to interact with, and that they kept him on top of his game...I'm surprised that the end product doesn't have more warmth to it.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 22, 2010 02:59

the aim of a cover is NOT to sound exactly like the original.
i really like the drumin. it's a modern version but it rocks! and it has attitude....dig it!

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: September 22, 2010 03:45

Love it as I'm sure T&A will once he hits download button.

Date: September 22, 2010 17:56

crossfire deux
Love it as I'm sure T&A will once he hits download button.

love it indeed. don't agree with the criticisms at all. santana in all his glory covering a fabulous song. brilliant.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 22, 2010 19:05

(Keith and I) both played on (the intro) actually, it was one of the few, well not of the few Stones tracks because lots of tracks we recorded with the Stones in those days were actually by and large recorded live the way you would play them onstage, sometimes even in 1 or 2 takes. Very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, I mean other things may have been overdubbed, but very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, they were usually sort of done with the backing track so they were done live.

- Mick Taylor, 1995

On that song, my fingers just landed in the right place and I discovered a few things about that tuning (open G) that I'd never been aware of. I think I realized that even as I was cutting the track.

- Keith Richards, 2002

Can't You Hear Me Knocking... is one of my favorites... (The jam at the end) just happened by accident; that was never planned. Towards the end of the song I just felt like carrying on playing. Everybody was putting their instruments down, but the tape was still rolling and it sounded good, so everybody quickly picked up their instruments again and carried on playing. It just happened, and it was a one-take thing. A lot of people seem to really like that part.

- Mick Taylor, 1979

(The jam at the end wasn't inspired by Carlos Santana.) We didn't even know they were still taping. We thought we'd finished. We were just rambling and they kept the tape rolling. I figured we'd just fade it off. It was only when we heard the playback that we realized, Oh, they kept it going. Basically we realized we had two bits of music. There's the song and there's the jam.

- Keith Richards, 2002

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2142
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home