Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Ronnie In Concert - London 19th October
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 20, 2010 18:20

TE
Just to scream in the church.
The management isn't totally mad.
It's just what a bunch of artists do these days.
Let some pay a bit extra for a great ticket.
Stones, McCartney, now Ronnie etc.

Get me wrong or not. I would love to go back to the Licks tour
when we sat up all night pressing F5/Refresh to get great
seats. But when artists don't sell records any more...
Gotta find a way to get paid. Ugly but...

TE
Oslo

You can't be serious. Ronnie Wood is not on the same level as the Stones or McCartney. To excuse it because he 'doesnt sell records anymore' (when DID he?) is preposterous. And its not 'a bit extra' either. Its a promotional gig, not a tour, so the profit argument doesnt hold up.

Its taking the piss. Pure and simple.

Justifying this sort of nonsense only encourages it to keep happening. Never mind a declining record industry. At this rate, the concert industry will die on its arse as well. And the sort of tossers who spend $500 for a 1 hour promotional gig just to say they were there will be mainly responsible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-20 18:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 20, 2010 18:30

Did anyone see the look on Ronnie's face on the BBC One Show last week when he thought Chris Evans had forgotten to mention the album & concert? Chris then assured him that he hadn't forgotten and he asks him during the last segment of the show (just before Ronnie crushes a load of cars in that giant vehicle thing).

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 20, 2010 18:42

WeLoveYou
Did anyone see the look on Ronnie's face on the BBC One Show last week when he thought Chris Evans had forgotten to mention the album & concert? Chris then assured him that he hadn't forgotten and he asks him during the last segment of the show (just before Ronnie crushes a load of cars in that giant vehicle thing).

Yes, I noticed that ... you couldn't exactly have missed it. He looked really worried actually !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 20, 2010 20:07

The ticket prices remind me of that crazy CC club gig that myself and several other guys on the board attended.That was near on 300 quid and thats a few years back.There would have been a time I might have been tempted,but I don't think it's worth it anymore.
The real fans once again losing out to a load of tossers who are the in crowd and have no interest in music.
I probably won't even waste my time trying to get a bog standard ticket either.The hassle of travelling down to London mid week is another factor.Oh and I think LUFC are playing Leicester that evening.How times change...

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 20, 2010 20:18

Gazza
TE

TE
Oslo

You can't be serious. Ronnie Wood is not on the same level as the Stones or McCartney. To excuse it because he 'doesnt sell records anymore' (when DID he?) is preposterous. And its not 'a bit extra' either. Its a promotional gig, not a tour, so the profit argument doesnt hold up.

Justifying this sort of nonsense only encourages it to keep happening. Never mind a declining record industry. At this rate, the concert industry will die on its arse as well. And the sort of tossers who spend $500 for a 1 hour promotional gig just to say they were there will be mainly responsible.

Gazza, agree with you. Just don't think the management is totally mad. It's wrong in a way but it is pure business. Cheapest Fanasylum deal during ABB was 1,300 USD I think. Ronnie at 500 USD is not bad. And as you said, just to say you have been there. I would never paid that. But some will.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 20, 2010 20:31

i would love to go.
but... i am not gonna pay that much money.
At highest E 150,0-
takes a lot of money for the trip and hotel.
hope to get a ticket anyway.
One Love Jeroen

Date: September 20, 2010 20:47

TE
Gazza
TE

TE
Oslo

Gazza, agree with you. Just don't think the management is totally mad. It's wrong in a way but it is pure business. Cheapest Fanasylum deal during ABB was 1,300 USD I think. Ronnie at 500 USD is not bad. And as you said, just to say you have been there. I would never paid that. But some will.

TE
Oslo

<<< It's wrong in a way but it is pure business >>>

Pure business SENSE surely means that you price something so that MORE people rather than FEWER can actually afford it, or are prepared to pay for it. Are you seriously suggesting that pricing this gig at $495 meets that criteria ? That's crap.

<<< Cheapest Fanasylum deal during ABB was 1,300 USD I think >>>

So ? Would you like to guess at how many such "deals" remained unsold and were relinquished closer to show time at infinitely more appropriate prices ? LOADS I should think.

<<< Ronnie at 500 USD is not bad >>>

Absolute bollocks. If you can't turn a buck in a 400 seat venue because of overheads, then pick a slightly bigger venue and price tickets more affordably. Then you'll stand a chance of actually getting a respectable number of bums on seats perhaps. Are you seriously suggesting that $500 is an appropriate price to charge for a gig of this nature, and by this particular artist ? If so, I think you're nuts, you're not residing in the same world as the majority of mere mortals - unless of course you subscribe to the belief that certain shows these days are simply not pitched at "mere mortals", merely people with more $$$$$$$ than f***ing brains !!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 20, 2010 20:50

Ronnie thinks he is more popular then he really is!

Date: September 20, 2010 21:51

TE
Gazza
TE

TE
Oslo

TE
Oslo

TE

Well, the thing is it costs the same to put a band together for a show in a 2,500 seater (like Drury Lane) than it does to put a band together for a show in a 400 seater.

Allow for Ronnie having maybe 200 on the guest list, and you're left with the following two possible alternatives

Ambassador - 140 tickets @ £40 (£5600) 60 Fan Asylum tickets @ £300 (£18,000)
Total gross - £23,600

Drury Lane (or somewhere similar) 2,300 tickets @ £40 - Total gross : £92,000.

If money has to be an issue, then the answer is simple. Play a bigger theatre. At £40 a ticket, Ronnie would have no problem selling out a theatre in London. He did it last time.

A 2,500 capacity theatre is still a wonderfully intimate gig. And you get a fair crack of the whip for everyone re: ticket availability, a better payday for him and an enthusiastic crowd of people who value the man's work supporting him. Everybody wins.

The Drury Lane show five years created a huge feelgood factor amongst those of us lucky to witness it. This kind of arrangement smackes of delusions of grandeur and runs the risk of having the opposite effect.

Judging the value of your audience solely on the depth of their wallet isn't very rock n roll, it makes for crappy audiences and creates a bad feeling amongst what fans you have left.

Playing a club show instead which will mostly consist of hangers on and posing high rollers does him no favours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-20 21:54 by Gazza.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:11

Exactly,
can't understand money being the issue....
Still, wish I could be there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-20 22:14 by Harm.

Date: September 20, 2010 22:14

I just replied regarding bad management. I more or less said that the management isn't totally mad when it comes to money. If they can sell 20-30 tickets x 2 for 500 USD. Clever. It sucks for the rest of us but. I never justified the fan side of it. Only the money bit.
If Ronnie do a half empty one the 19th, then I was wrong with his management.

Everybody knows the ticket price will NOT be 495 USD. That is Fanasylum and
those willing to throw out some extra bucks to make sure to be there.
Worth it or not, ask them, not me.

TE
Oslo

Date: September 20, 2010 22:26

Gazza
TE
Gazza
TE

TE
Oslo

TE
Oslo

TE

Well, the thing is it costs the same to put a band together for a show in a 2,500 seater (like Drury Lane) than it does to put a band together for a show in a 400 seater.

Allow for Ronnie having maybe 200 on the guest list, and you're left with the following two possible alternatives

Ambassador - 140 tickets @ £40 (£5600) 60 Fan Asylum tickets @ £300 (£18,000)
Total gross - £23,600

Drury Lane (or somewhere similar) 2,300 tickets @ £40 - Total gross : £92,000.

If money has to be an issue, then the answer is simple. Play a bigger theatre. At £40 a ticket, Ronnie would have no problem selling out a theatre in London. He did it last time.

A 2,500 capacity theatre is still a wonderfully intimate gig. And you get a fair crack of the whip for everyone re: ticket availability, a better payday for him and an enthusiastic crowd of people who value the man's work supporting him. Everybody wins.

The Drury Lane show five years created a huge feelgood factor amongst those of us lucky to witness it. This kind of arrangement smackes of delusions of grandeur and runs the risk of having the opposite effect.

Judging the value of your audience solely on the depth of their wallet isn't very rock n roll, it makes for crappy audiences and creates a bad feeling amongst what fans you have left.

Playing a club show instead which will mostly consist of hangers on and posing high rollers does him no favours.

Gazza
I probably put it a bit wrong in the first way, yes.
My bet is that Ronnie wanted a tiny place. Then of course it's a bit wrong to drag in Fanasylum. But, I don't know. You get some extra bucks. But I think Ronnie's real thing about this is to have a tiny venue.
And yes, you get those people who just want to be there.
(Opening night Fenway park, 1st row empty, almost)

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:37

What if it's a Rolling Stones concert .....eye popping smiley

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:45

Well maybe Ronnie is pricing the "public sales" tickets more in the £100 range...

The Fan Asylum thing has always been overpriced for me - it only made sense on the Licks Tour when it saved you the hassle to fight or queue up for a rare club ticket which could arguably be estimated to a few $100..

For multiple stadium shows, some might argue that the Fan Asylum saved you the hassle of booking multiple shows and hotels... And organized your stay with fellow Stones fans, in case you are anxious about travelling on your own.

However, I queued up for hours in Utrecht before finally getting in. I only have wonderful memories of these hours. Also I have traveled a few countries to see Stones show, sometimes by myself. And I have never actually attended a show alone. I always end up meeting some people I've already met at other Stones shows... These are things and memories Fan Asylum won't buy.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:51

Reading this kind of stuff almost makes me not want to be there at all. Even in the 'cheap seats'. Who of sound mind would pay that sort of money to see a one-hour ronnie wood show?

If I can't actually get tickets for this then I don't think I'll give a sh*t.

I saw Paul McCartney at the Electric Ballroom, Camden in 2007. It's a tiny venue. He was promoting his latest album, played about half of it, plus loads of hits. The show was about 105 minutes long, and it was FREE. All you had to do was keep a look out on the internet, and then when it was announced get to the venue on the day of the show if you could. We got wristbands and then were told to come back later. Got in and were stood about 12 feet away from him. Amazing. THAT is how to do a promotional gig for a new album.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: September 20, 2010 22:55

gwen
Well maybe Ronnie is pricing the "public sales" tickets more in the £100 range...

The Fan Asylum thing has always been overpriced for me - it only made sense on the Licks Tour when it saved you the hassle to fight or queue up for a rare club ticket which could arguably be estimated to a few $100..

For multiple stadium shows, some might argue that the Fan Asylum saved you the hassle of booking multiple shows and hotels... And organized your stay with fellow Stones fans, in case you are anxious about travelling on your own.

However, I queued up for hours in Utrecht before finally getting in. I only have wonderful memories of these hours. Also I have traveled a few countries to see Stones show, sometimes by myself. And I have never actually attended a show alone. I always end up meeting some people I've already met at other Stones shows... These are things and memories Fan Asylum won't buy.

Spot on Gwen, nothing is like a few hours with friends. My personal best is 8 hrs in Halifax to get the front row. Then 5 hrs wait before it started.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 21, 2010 11:01

I wonder. If the Stones can attract say a 100,000 people in the UK when they tour you only need 0.1% to be obsessive and wealthy enough to want a ticket.

Rows 3-6? What happened to the first 2 rows. Liggers or totty a la Shine a Light?

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 21, 2010 11:28

£40 is the maximum I'd pay to see Ron Wood, heck it's the most I'd pay to see pretty much *anyone*.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:30

Personally, I think that evan £40 is a little too much to attend a Ronnie Wood gig.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:44

the higher the ticket price the better. High ticket prices do not only kept the lower classes away form 'culture' angry smiley - they also prevent me from thinking about going to Ronnie's show and from wasting a lot of money smiling smiley

(millionaires play for millionaires etc…)

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:44

i'm prepared to spend a maximum of £50 to attend this concert. Not a penny more.

If Mr Wood is happy to play, exclusively, infront of the likes of Kate Moss and the usual list of celebrity-bore coke heads, thats his funeral, and i won't be losing too much sleep.

Date: September 21, 2010 15:32

Adrian-L
i'm prepared to spend a maximum of £50 to attend this concert. Not a penny more.

If Mr Wood is happy to play, exclusively, infront of the likes of Kate Moss and the usual list of celebrity-bore coke heads, thats his funeral, and i won't be losing too much sleep.

Hmm ... I've been thinking about these runaway ticket prices that seem to be all the rage these days, and I have the answer you'll be pleased to know.

The artist pays us the audience to attend. The price we charge varies according to our scale ratings:

Celebrity status scale

A, B, C or D - A is for being the current darling of the media, and D is for no-one knowing who you are, what you are, where you came from, where you're going, what you've done, who you've done, you are in fact entirely insignificant and of no f***ing use to the artist whatsoever.

Attentiveness scale

1 to 10 - 1 is for turning up late because you fancied 10 pints in the pub round the corner before remembering where you were actually heading that evening, and 10 is for turning up 7 hours early and occupying the centre seat of row 1 from 30 seconds after the venue opens its doors, until 45 minutes after the artist has left the stage ... (or else when the cleaners call security and you get unceremoniously ejected from the venue in floods of tears)

Familiarity with material scale

1 to 10 - 10 is for singing along with every line of every song and intermittently boring the pants off the people sitting around you by explaining to them where the artist(s) wrote it, when they wrote it, and that in fact you possess each and every one of the 50 alternative versions of the song on cassette; 1 is for annoying the f**k out of the people sitting all around you by professing that you're sure Barry Manilow wrote and performed "Satisfaction" before this upstart Jagger and Richard duo got hold of it ......... !

There that should sort it ... no more stupid ticket prices from hereon !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-21 15:37 by paulywaul.

Date: September 21, 2010 15:54

Braincapers
I wonder. If the Stones can attract say a 100,000 people in the UK when they tour you only need 0.1% to be obsessive and wealthy enough to want a ticket.

Rows 3-6? What happened to the first 2 rows. Liggers or totty a la Shine a Light?

Ronnie's legal team?

Date: September 21, 2010 18:16

gwen

In which case, he has serious delusions of grandeur. Think it was about £40 at the most to see him in 2005. Being tabloid fodder for the last couple of years doesnt make him suddenly a hot attraction musically. Can understand that kind of dough for the Stones, but Ronnie?

I think Ronnie's last album sold about 5,000 copies. As a solo attraction, he's not a big deal. £100 to see him play a few songs that hardly anyone will buy for just over an hour in a theatre?

Unless you're guaranteed a superstar line up, anyone who pays that is off their tits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-21 18:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 24, 2010 13:45

I´d really want to go, but can´t make it this time.

Date: September 24, 2010 14:37

Somebody on the french forums reports prices from £75 to £150.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 24, 2010 14:51

gwen
Somebody on the french forums reports prices from £75 to £150.

does that include a 'meet & greet' ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 24, 2010 14:55

Probably a meet & greet with Ronnie's bodyguard should you try too hard to get on stage !

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 24, 2010 14:56

Gazza
gwen

In which case, he has serious delusions of grandeur. Think it was about £40 at the most to see him in 2005. Being tabloid fodder for the last couple of years doesnt make him suddenly a hot attraction musically. Can understand that kind of dough for the Stones, but Ronnie?

I think Ronnie's last album sold about 5,000 copies. As a solo attraction, he's not a big deal. £100 to see him play a few songs that hardly anyone will buy for just over an hour in a theatre?

Unless you're guaranteed a superstar line up, anyone who pays that is off their tits.

Must be rough over in merry old Engerland. Only takes me about 3 hours to make that much. And how often to you get a chance to watch the Woodman play?

Date: September 24, 2010 15:06

£100 is more than 1 working day for an average worker in england. Probably closer to 2 or 3 days for most people.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home