Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: "Beatles Reunion" at the 2012 Olympics?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:30

I have been hearing all kinds of rumors all over the net and on several mainstream media outlets tonight that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr will close the 2012 Olympics with John Lennon's and George Harrison's sons standing in for their fathers.

McCarthey himself when asked didn't deny the story.
[www.nme.com]
[scoop.today.com]
[londonist.com]
[music.msn.com]

Re: OT: "Beatles Reunion" at the 2012 Olympics?
Date: July 12, 2011 06:31

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been rumors out there that the Stones have been asked to be part of the same event?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:45

I would rather see the dead Beatles represented by impersonators or holograms or maybe even stand up cardboard cutouts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 06:47 by tatters.

Date: July 12, 2011 06:51

Pretty insulting if the promoters would prefer half of the Beatles to close the show than the 100% intact Rolling Stones to close it out.

For what it's worth the rumor is they want the Stones to open and what's left of the Beatles to close.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 12, 2011 07:02

tatters
I would rather see the dead Beatles represented by impersonators or holograms or maybe even stand up cardboard cutouts.
lmao... Oh yeah Baby, that would be groovy

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 12, 2011 07:12

James Kirk
Pretty insulting if the promoters would prefer half of the Beatles to close the show than the 100% intact Rolling Stones to close it out.

Well, depending on how some of us old-timers look at it, 60% intact is more accurate.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 12, 2011 07:48

Jah Paul
James Kirk

Well, depending on how some of us old-timers look at it, 60% intact is more accurate.
Yeah.. But the old timers could reach a max of 80% if Bill would show up.... And imagine, for those that prefer the Taylor era, if both Bill and Taylor show up they have their 100%.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 12, 2011 08:57

It will end up being a big cluster mess featuring the following in some capacity:

Paul McCartney, Elton John, George Michaels, Andale, Brian May, Mick Jagger, Tom Jones, David Bowie, Bon Jovi, Tina Turner, Don Was, AC/DC, Pete Towshend, Roger Daltrey, Sade , Bettye LaVette, and Annie Lennox.

The encore will be Paul McCartney and Jeff Beck doing "Day in the Life' with vocals.

If Brian May cannot make it, Tommy Thayer will sit in. Ringo will join in if he's not playing a Rib Festival with Dr. John soemwhere in North America.

Posted by: mrD ()
Date: July 12, 2011 10:39

I would be very surprised if they did, but Lennon did say they were more popular then Jesus. But never thought they would proof it with a second coming at the Olympics.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 12, 2011 10:45

I heard the original line-up of Lynyrd Skynyrd will perform at the opening of the Paralympics 2012.

Mathijs

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 12, 2011 13:01

I do not care much about the Olympics, but it would be a bad idea if the Stones or Paul and Ringo would perform. It would almost force commedians to make fun of old men around seventy opening the "games of the youth". Normally the openings of sport events are pathetic and boring by the way.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 12, 2011 13:23

Blue
Jah Paul
James Kirk

Yeah.. But the old timers could reach a max of 80% if Bill would show up.... And imagine, for those that prefer the Taylor era, if both Bill and Taylor show up they have their 100%.

The Stones with Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie and Bill is 100% Stones. Taylor is no longer a guitarist in the band. Ronnie has been a full time member three times longer than Brian and Taylor combined.

My wish for The Stones would be Bill back in the game, then we would have the famous roll back and the band would be running on all cylinders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 13:25 by NedKelly.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:13

Great idea. Lets mark a showcase to youth and athleticism by only inviting performers who are over 60.

Cant really see the organisers going for that as the image of London they're looking for...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:25

Gazza
Great idea. Lets mark a showcase to youth and athleticism by only inviting performers who are over 60.

Cant really see the organisers going for that as the image of London they're looking for...

It depends how old the organizers are. Is Vera Lynn still around?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 16:26 by tatters.

Date: July 12, 2011 17:29

Yes..but as the head of the organising committee is Sebastian Coe, I wouldnt really blame him for not wanting the cream of British talent to be exclusively represented by a bunch of wizened septeguenarians.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 12, 2011 18:31

It ain't really a "Show" without Dwight Yoakam.

Date: July 12, 2011 18:32

tatters
Gazza

Gazza, I couldn't disagree with you more. What the organizers of this event are looking for is a spectacle and to showcase the best of their nations talents. I think it's safe to say that they don't care how fit any of the performers are. By your way of thinking all the artists involved should have to qualify by running the 40 yard dash in under 4.5 seconds.

Even half of the Beatles, plus the offspring of the Lennon and Harrison (and I'm sure a bunch of other celebs on stage as well) to sing"All You Need Is Love" or whatever other Beatles tune to close out the games is a BIG story...Keep in mind that the Beatles are the biggest selling group of the last decade worldwide. There is still a massive audience. If Lennon and Harrison were alive and the Beatles decided to tour even at this late date they would simply crush all records on the books and a new Beatles cd by all four members would sell millions and millions of copies.

The Olympics want the Stones and what's left of the Beatles because they are simply bigger than life acts that no other nation in world could match no matter how old they are.

Date: July 12, 2011 18:33

Gazza

Gazza, I couldn't disagree with you more. What the organizers of this event are looking for is a spectacle and to showcase the best of their nations talents. I think it's safe to say that they don't care how fit any of the performers are. By your way of thinking all the artists involved should have to qualify by running the 40 yard dash in under 4.5 seconds.

Even half of the Beatles, plus the offspring of the Lennon and Harrison (and I'm sure a bunch of other celebs on stage as well) to sing"All You Need Is Love" or whatever other Beatles tune to close out the games is a BIG story...Keep in mind that the Beatles are the biggest selling group of the last decade worldwide. There is still a massive audience. If Lennon and Harrison were alive and the Beatles decided to tour even at this late date they would simply crush all records on the books and a new Beatles cd by all four members would sell millions and millions of copies.

The Olympics want the Stones and what's left of the Beatles because they are simply bigger than life acts that no other nation in world could match no matter how old they are.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 12, 2011 18:46

James Kirk
If Lennon and Harrison were alive and the Beatles decided to tour even at this late date they would simply crush all records on the books and a new Beatles cd by all four members would sell millions and millions of copies.

Not if Elvis decided to do a world tour.

Date: July 12, 2011 18:52

I honestly believe that The Beatles owe much of their "legendary" status to the fact that they split at their peak. If they'd have carried on as the Stones did The Beatles' hits would've included things like 'Ebony & Ivory' & 'Say, Say, Say'... now try & imagine it the other way round, with The Beatles continuing & The Rolling Stones splitting after 'Let It Bleed'.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 12, 2011 19:06

James Kirk
I have been hearing all kinds of rumors all over the net and on several mainstream media outlets tonight that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr will close the 2012 Olympics with John Lennon's and George Harrison's sons standing in for their fathers.

[www.nme.com]
[scoop.today.com]
[londonist.com]
[music.msn.com]

As much as I love the Stones this would be the rock event of the Century! I also have heard rumors that the sons of the Beatles are going to come together to mark the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014. How awesome would that be!

Date: July 12, 2011 19:15

stonescrow
I also have heard rumors that the sons of the Beatles are going to come together to mark the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014. How awesome would that be!

Maybe one of Brian Jones' sons can tour with the Stones (& did Ian Stewart have any sons?).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2011 19:29

NedKelly
Blue
Jah Paul
James Kirk

The Stones with Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie and Bill is 100% Stones. Taylor is no longer a guitarist in the band. Ronnie has been a full time member three times longer than Brian and Taylor combined.

My wish for The Stones would be Bill back in the game, then we would have the famous roll back and the band would be running on all cylinders.

No, the real Rolling Stones is the version with Bill and Taylor. Legitimacy is gained by the quality of work done by that lineup, not simple longevity of a member. Ronnie could be in the band for 100 years and not gain the same legitimacy. I will always think of him as a replacement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 19:36 by 71Tele.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2011 19:30

OK, Paul and Ringo are fine, but no one is allowed to call this a "Beatles Reunion", as that is an impossibility.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 12, 2011 19:31

Mathijs
I heard the original line-up of Lynyrd Skynyrd will perform at the opening of the Paralympics 2012.

Mathijs
Save your A material for the late set at the chucklefest.thumbs down

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 12, 2011 19:43

James Kirk
Gazza

I agree with you, James Kirk.

Date: July 12, 2011 19:55

James Kirk
Gazza

Hmm...the keyword in my post was 'only'. Pretty much every act mentioned as possibles in this thread are veterans.

Note that at the Closing Ceremony at the Beijing Olympics where there were a few English acts performing as the games were handed to the London organisers they had a mix of old performers (eg Jimmy Page) and young (Leona Lewis).

The fact that the Beatles are still huge isnt the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 20:00 by Gazza.

Date: July 12, 2011 19:56

stonescrow
James Kirk

[www.nme.com]
[scoop.today.com]
[londonist.com]
[music.msn.com]

As much as I love the Stones this would be the rock event of the Century! I also have heard rumors that the sons of the Beatles are going to come together to mark the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014. How awesome would that be!

As a Beatles fan I can safely say that it would be absolutely f***ing awful in every way. And that it wont happen.

That shit belongs in a museum or a freak show. Not on a concert stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 19:57 by Gazza.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 12, 2011 21:12

Gazza
stonescrow
James Kirk

[www.nme.com]
[scoop.today.com]
[londonist.com]
[music.msn.com]

As a Beatles fan I can safely say that it would be absolutely f***ing awful in every way. And that it wont happen.

That shit belongs in a museum or a freak show. Not on a concert stage.
I seriously doubt McCartney would ever consider it.

Date: July 12, 2011 21:36

sweetcharmedlife
I seriously doubt McCartney would ever consider it.

I also seriously doubt that Dhani, Julian or Sean would.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home