Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: "Beatles Reunion" at the 2012 Olympics?
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 15, 2011 12:15

Led Zeppelin have done a One-Off show with Jason Bonham´s son replacing the original band member.

It was a success.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 15, 2011 12:48

I think that's the most fruitful idea coming out from promoters to attract sponsors. Organize the Olympics involve huge amount of money, Great-Britain cannot afford currently, other than by putting more pressure and harm on its people. Thus, calling upon their most valuable and tangible asset is not surprizing. Wether it is a good idea depends on each's judgment.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 15, 2011 12:51

NedKelly
The Beatles will never reunite. Paul and Ringo have taste enough to not let that happen.

They had a lapse of taste in the mid 90s...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 15, 2011 14:26

marquess
Led Zeppelin have done a One-Off show with Jason Bonham´s son replacing the original band member.

It was a success.

Led Zeppelin are not the Beatles. And theyve actually done three 'one-off appearances' with a stand in drummer down the years that I'm aware of.

Plus there's only one of them missing.... I mean, the Beatles without Lennon. Seriously.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 15, 2011 14:35

Gazza
marquess

It was a success.

Led Zeppelin are not the Beatles. And theyve actually done three 'one-off appearances' with a stand in drummer down the years that I'm aware of.

Plus there's only one of them missing.... I mean, the Beatles without Lennon. Seriously.

I'd like to add: the Beatles without Harrison? Seriously?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 15, 2011 14:39

Agreed. I prefer George's solo stuff to John's for starters, but while I wasnt attempting to minimalise George's contributions, a Beatles show without the guy who wrote about half of their songs is simply laughable.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 15, 2011 14:42

Hasnt Paul been the torch bearer for the Beatles music in recent years? He doesnt seem to need Ringo to "get the feel". I used to almost sneer at Mcartney, didnt care one one or another... but over the years his sticking to the music, like a working man (kind of like Dylan (but even better)) has earned my respect.

Paul has been out there playing and playing and playing. I have never seen him live (too pricey on this recent tour) but I have watched some of his recent shows, and he seems to be having a blast playing his songs, Wings songs and tons of Beatles songs... with no Ringo in sight. Paul's set list have been somewhat amazing.

No disrespect to Ringo, but he is not really needed to have Beatles songs played... maybe just hire Paul and that is it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-15 14:46 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 15, 2011 14:52

Gazza
Agreed. I prefer George's solo stuff to John's for starters, but while I wasnt attempting to minimalise George's contributions, a Beatles show without the guy who wrote about half of their songs is simply laughable.

Totally agree. The point is, there is no Beatles anymore. It's nice to attend a McCartney show where he plays old Beatles, Wings and solo stuff in a mix that makes the show a trip down memory lane. But to hear him and Ringo, with Dhani and Julian, doing Hard days night, Help, Something, Taxman, Here comes the sun,Come together or Strawberry fields would be completely and utterly wrong.

Date: July 15, 2011 15:00

NedKelly
Gazza

Totally agree. The point is, there is no Beatles anymore. It's nice to attend a McCartney show where he plays old Beatles, Wings and solo stuff in a mix that makes the show a trip down memory lane. But to hear him and Ringo, with Dhani and Julian, doing Hard days night, Help, Something, Taxman, Here comes the sun,Come together or Strawberry fields would be completely and utterly wrong.

thumbs up Perfectly said Ned

EDIT-
and they dont really need to hype a Beatles aspect to sell tickets, the opening and closing ceremonies sell out everytime no matter who plays.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-15 15:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 18, 2011 07:59

McCartney just played 2 shows at Yankee's Stadium... review of it here [music-mix.ew.com]

"McCartney’s nearly two-hour and 45-minute extravaganza spanned his output from the past 50 years. Chronological hodgepodge was clearly his goal from the outset, opening with late Beatles psychedelic tripper “Magical Mystery Tour,” followed by Wings shout-anthem “Jet,” and then early Beatles Dorian-scaled “All My Loving.”

Throughout it all he never left the stage for even a short break. His one costume change was to take off his Nehru jacket, leaving a white shirt with black suspenders. But his Larry King couture—and a few more noticeable wrinkles on his face—notwithstanding, he seemed to get more youthful and energetic, insouciant locks ever more boyishly tousled, as the sticky summer night in the Bronx unfolded. “Who is this Derek Jeter guy?” he kidded at one point. “Somebody said he’s got more hits than me.” Oh, did I mention McCartney knows how to a work a crowd?" more at [music-mix.ew.com]

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 18, 2011 09:22

the rubbish story with the sons is so old. it was in the 80ies when there were roumors that julian will fill the space for his father. i don´t belive it, serious, will belive it when i see it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 18, 2011 11:25

Let Johnny Rotten with his P.I.L. close it....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:33

This will never happen.

The Beatles are bigger than the Olympics now. smileys with beer

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: July 18, 2011 23:07

Sleepy City
I honestly believe that The Beatles owe much of their "legendary" status to the fact that they split at their peak. If they'd have carried on as the Stones did The Beatles' hits would've included things like 'Ebony & Ivory' & 'Say, Say, Say'... now try & imagine it the other way round, with The Beatles continuing & The Rolling Stones splitting after 'Let It Bleed'.

Interesting viewpoint Sleepy City, after thinking about it I have to agree with you. Thanks for sharing it.

Date: July 19, 2011 03:02

considering john and george are dead, no there won't be a reunion. kids don't matter

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 19, 2011 03:09

How about The Whotles..a combo of The Who and Beatles

Paul-Bass
Pete-Guitar
Roger-Vocals
Ringo-Drums

Or Led Whotles

Just add JPJ on keys
Jimmy and Robert as they are.

Date: July 19, 2011 04:39

Bingo
How about The Whotles..a combo of The Who and Beatles

Paul-Bass
Pete-Guitar
Roger-Vocals
Ringo-Drums

Man... that is a really good idea...
and it fits together the missing pieces perfectly...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 19, 2011 08:55

I'd love to see Yoko there too...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 19, 2011 10:19

After Page at the closing ceremony for the last Olympics they should open with Zep. It has a nice continuity if nothing else.

They'll probably put Macca on stage with Take That and Queen. And why not? The Olympics has already sold its soul.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 18:16

Max'sKansasCity
McCartney just played 2 shows at Yankee's Stadium... review of it here [music-mix.ew.com]

"McCartney’s nearly two-hour and 45-minute extravaganza spanned his output from the past 50 years. Chronological hodgepodge was clearly his goal from the outset, opening with late Beatles psychedelic tripper “Magical Mystery Tour,” followed by Wings shout-anthem “Jet,” and then early Beatles Dorian-scaled “All My Loving.”

Throughout it all he never left the stage for even a short break. His one costume change was to take off his Nehru jacket, leaving a white shirt with black suspenders. But his Larry King couture—and a few more noticeable wrinkles on his face—notwithstanding, he seemed to get more youthful and energetic, insouciant locks ever more boyishly tousled, as the sticky summer night in the Bronx unfolded. “Who is this Derek Jeter guy?” he kidded at one point. “Somebody said he’s got more hits than me.” Oh, did I mention McCartney knows how to a work a crowd?" more at [music-mix.ew.com]

I was at that second show at Yankee Stadium, more because Paul was the last one on my list of top tier musicians to see last. It was a great show. And it was incredible his stamina. Not once did he ever leave the stage for 2 hours and 45 minutes. He talked minimally to the audience and that's not a criticism either - he just went from song to song to song. He never even took a swig of water - for nearly 3 hours!! And he rocked. 39 songs played when the smoke finally cleared. The guy is 68 years old!

Granted, he doesn't run all over the place like Mick does, but for slightly cheaper tickets than the Stones charge, our boys could learn several things from Sir Paul. However, I seriously doubt if Mick's voice could hold up for 3 hours. Maybe if the Stones only played a handful of shows like Paul does these days.

Paul does it right - just a few shows each year. Never overdoes it, never over-saturates the market or the demand, and he'll always, always, always sell out because of that.

I was glad I got the chance to see him play live finally, and in the house that Jeter built no less!!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 18:20

ALso a great set list from both shows! And Paul is 69.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 18:23

Did he already have his birthday? I thought it was upcoming - thanks for correcting whitem8!! Sorry about that!!

The only surprise was no Sgt Pepper's either night.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 19, 2011 20:32

VoodooLounge13
Did he already have his birthday? I thought it was upcoming - thanks for correcting whitem8!! Sorry about that!!

The only surprise was no Sgt Pepper's either night.
He played The Night Before for the first time ever!
1. Hello Goodbye
2. Junior's Farm
3. All My Loving
4. Jet
5. Drive My Car
6. Sing The Changes
7. The Night Before
8. Let Me Roll It/ Foxy Lady
9. Paperback Writer
10. The Long And Winding Road
11. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
12. Let 'Em In
13. Maybe I'm Amazed
14. I've Just Seen A Face
15. I Will
16. Blackbird
17. Here Today
18. Dance Tonight
19. Mrs Vandebilt
20. Eleanor Rigby
21. Something
22. Band On The Run
23. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
24. Back In The USSR
25. I've Got A Feeling
26. A Day In The Life / Give Peace A Chance
27. Let It Be
28. Live And Let Die
29. Hey Jude

Encore
30. Lady Madonna
29. Day Tripper
30. Get Back

Second Encore
31. Yesterday
32. Helter Skelter
33. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

Sound Check Set List

1. Get Back
2. Matchbox
3. Honey Don't
4. Blue Suede Shoes
5. C Moon
6. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
7. Celebration
8. Coming Up
9. Ebony & Ivory
10. All My Loving
11. Only Mama Knows
12. Magical Mystery Tour
13. Midnight Special
14. The Sun Is Shining
15. Petroushka
16. Dance Tonight
17. Leaning On A Lampost
18. Yesterday
19. Lady Madonna

Date: July 20, 2011 05:20

VoodooLounge13

I was at that second show at Yankee Stadium....... I was glad I got the chance to see him play live finally, and in the house that Jeter built no less!!!

smiling smiley Props to you... I admire Pauls set list and how he has never stopped. He seems like a great guy.

I skipped his recent stop in Kansas City because the ticket prices were/ARE just crazy over priced, for face value, crappy, 50-1000th row seats, priced like they are front row seats?? FK THAT!!!

If I was in NY at the time of this "historic show" I would/might have paid up.... but I just cringe at ticket prices (FACE VALUE) these days for what I consider crappy seats. I am willing to pay up, but if I do, I wanna be close. e.g. I had no problem paying $350 for 7th row (to scalpers) for the St Louis B2B recorded live show, it was historic, we had 7th row, we were close, it was awesome... but these days... the freeking tickets are face value $350-$500... so 7th row scalped is now $900-$2000.00 ..... and I wont pay that.

The moral? GET IT WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD!!! (and I did)
I used to be one of the best customers of local scalpers... I happily paid 2-3 time face for front row, and I sat front row cener A LOT... over and over and over.... back when face value was $7-$30.00 I was happy to pay $21-$50-$90 FOR FRONT ROW, I am glad I got it while the getting was good.....

anyway.... Good for you for going to McCartney at Yankees Stadium, it sounds like a it was a great show... and that set list speaks for itself.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 21, 2011 15:56

I can't believe that the media hardly covered McCartney at Yankee Stadium! I'm just hearing about this now, 5 days later! I guess in Massachusetts, home of the Boston Red Sox, anything to do with the Yankees is minimalized!! I'm glad I got to see Paul solo a few years ago because it is really something and for music lovers, it's a must! Paul deserves a lot of credit for his stamina and for delivering to the fans a show well worth the ticket price. I hope I can see him one more time. After one of his shows, you really feel GOOD !! It's a bit of a nostalgic trip but anything that can make you feel that great is a fine thing!

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:01

bluesinc.
the rubbish story with the sons is so old. it was in the 80ies when there were roumors that julian will fill the space for his father. i don´t belive it, serious, will belive it when i see it.

That was rumoured for Live Aid. Glad it never happened.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:30

Sleepy City
I honestly believe that The Beatles owe much of their "legendary" status to the fact that they split at their peak. If they'd have carried on as the Stones did The Beatles' hits would've included things like 'Ebony & Ivory' & 'Say, Say, Say'... now try & imagine it the other way round, with The Beatles continuing & The Rolling Stones splitting after 'Let It Bleed'.

Interesting thoughts indeed. But the thing is that I don't believe that would happen.

That was the great thing about Lennon / McCartney working together. McCarteny would be ashemd to even present some of his later stuff to Lennon. I believe that Lennon's opinion was one of the very few Macca took really seriously and he would never want to make a fool of himself in fron of Lennon.

On the other hand Paul is a guy with great sence of melody and...how to say it...commercial stuff? Not exactly what I want to say, but hope it is clear. He would never allow some of the later John's stuff to appear on a Beatles record.

Those two guys were so different, but their cooperation was what it was - the greatest pop/rock songwriters ever. Even in the later years, when I believe they wrote pretty much separately, but still I think that one was always able to add something to the otherone's song, that pushed it in the rigt direction.

Anyway, Macca these days really is a terrific live act and he indeed is the one who carries the torch of The Beatles. And he does it with dignity and doesn't need to strees the point that he is THE guy from The Beatles.

Ringo would be a nice bonus in his show. I saw Ringo for the first time the last Sunday and was positively surprised, how enjoyable his show was. Expecting to se the "professional ex-Beatle..." Well, okay, he is, but his show was really nice anyway. But still no match for McCartney show today.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:30

don't call it "beatles reunion", please.....

Date: July 21, 2011 16:43

andrea66
don't call it "beatles reunion", please.....
I agree, I dont understand the point of that..... McCartney playing the Olympics is pretty big unst itself.... and there are many reason NOT to call it a reunion.... London does not need it, The Olympics do not need it, we dont need it, The Beatles no longer exist, they refused a reunion when it was possible, why do it now?

Of course I may be missing something, I could be wrong about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 16:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2011 06:04

Ringo says he will be unavailable to take part in any Beatles reunions during the 2012 Olympics because his 2012 summer tour of America is "already set".

[www.wcsx.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home