Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Ladies and Gentleman" Review by David Risser
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: September 16, 2010 16:01

Rolling Stones Revive Drug-Driven Rock in Concert Movie: Review
2010-09-15 23:00:01.1 GMT

Review by David Risser
Sept. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Mick Jagger takes another swig of bourbon and dances like a demon. Keith Richards looms from the wings in a drugged-out haze, trading solos with slide guitarist Mick Taylor in the shadows. This is 1972 and the Rolling Stones are at their prime.
“Ladies and Gentlemen -- The Rolling Stones” hasn’t been seen in cinemas for more than three decades. The movie, which had a complex quadraphonic soundtrack, had a short release in
1974 near the end of Richard Nixon’s presidency. It now shows in more than 530 U.S. theaters today for a one-night stand. It’s a flashback to the tour that promoted the double LP “Exile on Main Street,” regarded by critics as among the band’s best.
The film release, by a division of National CineMedia Inc., Eagle Rock Entertainment and Omniverse Vision, portends more concert-like events in theaters. Digital projection is prompting performers to dig into the archives to reinvigorate interest, and to beam live events to people who can’t make it to the real thing, Omniverse co-founder Austin Shaw said.
“There’s a whole generation who never saw Jimi Hendrix on stage or who never saw Pink Floyd perform,” said Shaw, who helped form the London-based company this year after producing film and television for Andrew Lloyd Webber. Omniverse will broadcast a “Les Miserables” concert next month to more than 1,000 screens and air a Bon Jovi gig in November. The Stones film will also be shown in Europe and Australia this month before its DVD release next month.
“There’s always a new audience for great music,” Shaw said. “We’re hoping this film will capture the imagination.”

Playful Jagger

“Ladies and Gentlemen” captures the band performing at four shows in Texas. It comes with a playful, self-deprecating interview by Jagger recorded this year, shown at the premiere last week in London and also intended for the DVD release.
The frontman, uncharacteristically warming to nostalgia, describes raiding Western Costume Co. in Hollywood for exotic clothes. He says that the group was sometimes sloppy on the tour, which is legendary for its trail of drug use.
Still, the Stones were in high form when filmmakers Steve Gebhardt and Bob Freeze did their work.
“Everyone’s very together and on,” Jagger said.
The film, shot simply and artfully in 16 millimeter, was done without enough light, according to Jagger. The dark adds a menacing tone that fits the violence of “Midnight Rambler” and gives a small-club feel on slower numbers.
The screen goes eerily black as players move in and out of the frame, mimicking a live viewer’s perspective. There are no audience-rousing pans of the crowd, no “life on the road”
interviews on buses, no boorish paeans to roadies and no exit runs for the limos.

‘Sweet Virginia’

“Ladies and Gentlemen” is just the singers and the songs.
The Stones rip though some of their best Exile work, from “All Down the Line” to “Sweet Virginia,” slowing down to an oozy, bluesy crawl on “Love in Vain” from 1969’s “Let it Bleed.”
“You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “Tumbling Dice” are stripped of backup singers and smooth edges. “Dead Flowers,” with its “needle and a spoon” line, is a reminder of the drug infusion. Jagger’s gyrations and clinging trousers might presumably risk a ban in several U.S. states.
Drummer Charlie Watts and former bassist Bill Wyman do an excellent job in keeping rhythm, while the Jagger-Richards interplay is all the more obvious on the small stage.
The film follows the reissue of the “Exile” recordings, part of the financial juggernaut that is the “world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band.”
Polished it ain’t, and Martin Scorsese it’s not. The director’s recent “Shine a Light” film is a slick coronation.
This one is rawer, and all the better for that.
Rating: ***.

*T

Re: "Ladies and Gentleman" Review by David Risser
Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 16:26

One night only and its a work/school night. Makes no sense to me. How about a Friday or Saturday night?

Date: September 16, 2010 16:41

Pretty good and accurate review I would say - it is definitely worth taking note of what Jagger has to say in the pre-film interview regarding the lighting in particular. It is also, especially by today's standards, highly unusual not to have any crowd shots in a concert film apart from a one or two briefly shown towards the end - which is a great improvement in my opinion.
Great to hear the, suprisingly good, sound in a cinema too!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 16, 2010 16:49

The film, shot simply and artfully in 16 millimeter, was done without enough light, according to Jagger.

Well, I guess that puts THAT discussion on here recently to rest about it being shot in 16mm !!!!

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 16, 2010 16:59

I can't wait!

In high school, when there were no parties we left the suburbs for downtown to see the midnight showing at the Biograph theater, I believe.

Saw that film in the mid 70s at midnight dozens of times, havent seen it since.

Taking the kids and a friend for her 50th. Gonna be a good night!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: September 16, 2010 18:04

In 4 hours I will expiirence L&G in the cinema (Pathe Groningen).

Mr. Fancyman

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 16, 2010 18:15

Four hours away in London. Or 3 hours 45 mins to be exact.

Sounds like it's a live satelite feed if it's being shown at 2000 in London and 2100 in (presumably) the European mainland...?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 16, 2010 18:31

chelskeith
I can't wait!

In high school, when there were no parties we left the suburbs for downtown to see the midnight showing at the Biograph theater, I believe.

Saw that film in the mid 70s at midnight dozens of times, havent seen it since.

Is that the one that used on be on 57th between 7th & Broadway? The first time I saw Blow Up was there and I have fond memories of it - that Yardbirds scene is so great!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 16, 2010 18:40

I never saw L& G on theaters.That's crazy that we had to wait almost 40 years !!!!

La Géode,Paris,October the 7th .smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 16, 2010 18:49

Thanks for the review, rlngstns !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 16, 2010 19:24

jjflash73
One night only and its a work/school night. Makes no sense to me. How about a Friday or Saturday night?

I agree.
I can only figure that theatres aren't yet ready to gamble away a valuable room in prime-time for a nostalgic concert film that may or may not bring in a full house.

Elvis '72 was packed, I hope this one is too...maybe then they will consider at least a 1 or 2 week run?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:51

I am not willing to gamble on the sound system used at my nearby theater. Saw Shine A Light there and wished I was at home with my 5.1 surround. Wish luck to all seeing across the world.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home