Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Best Albums of 2010 - the definitive IORRers end of year list
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 13, 2010 18:42

Last year around this time we had a thread about IORR members' favourite albums of the year.

I got maybe 5 or 6 albums based on recommendations from this board.

Although 2010 isn't out yet I've got 8 favourites that I'm sure will fight for space in my own top 10 list.

It would be great to hear what has been spinning your wheels over the year so far.

Here's my list:

Los Lobos - Tin Can Trust A wonderful band that seemed to have missed out over here because most people know them only for their one big hit, La Bamba. One to wow your listeners with in the wee, small hours. Laid back rock par excellence.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Mojo Best thing they've done for a good 20 years. Great bluesy, tuneful rock.

Teenage Fanclub - Shadows They are a national treasure here in the UK and how they are not bigger than they are beggars belief. Great, great Byrds influenced mellow rock.

Paul Weller - Wake Up The Nation A superb re-invention. He's thrown everything bar the kitchen sink at this one. Punky, psychedelic, contemplative singer-songwriter stuff. It's all there.

School Of Seven Bells - Disconnect From Desire Great New York based guitar/synth pop trio making the kind of dreamy sound textured music that the Cocteau Twins made in the 80s. And featuring two gorgeous Mexican identical twin sisters on guitar and keyboards!

Driveby Truckers - The Big To Do Good honest Southern/Stonesy bar room guitar rock. These guys are on a roll right now and I'm looking forward to seeing them in London soon.

Amorphous Androgynous - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind Vol 2 - Great DJ mix of old and new psychedelia.

John Grant - Queen Of Denmark A beautiful, haunting modern day singer-songwriter album from a guy that was in another underrated band called The Earlies. Very dream-like textures.

I've heard in many quarters that upcoming releases from Neil Young and Robert Plant are also meant to be really strong contenders. Neil's is apparently one of those decade highs that will sit comfortably next to Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Goldrush, Freedom, and Sleeps With Angels.
And Robert Plant has apparently come up with an album worthy of following his great Raising Sand album with Alison Krauss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-19 12:26 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Best Albums of 2010 - so far
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 13, 2010 20:03

imo the new tom petty is overrated, great sound but i think less songwriting. works good live for jams etc but not song by song, anyway, like it though

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 20:13

IMHO Brant Bjorks album "Gods and Goddesses" is the best album of 2010.I'm also really digging John Fruscaintes solo album "The Empyrean" but heard today its already been out since 2009. Tom Petty album has its moments but also I think some of it is high class filler. Looking forward to hearing the new Los Lobos and Tennage Fanclub records you mention, i liked the last TF record form a couple of years back.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 13, 2010 20:13

So far, Croweology hands down.

Wingless Angels II is good also. Probably even better than no. I

Gorillaz is good too.

C

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 13, 2010 20:43

Also upcoming with Bruce Springsteen - The Promise - "Save My Love" [www.brucespringsteen.net]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 13, 2010 20:56

GREAT
Otis Redding ~ Live On Sunset Strip
the Black Crowes - Croweology
the Derek Trucks Band - Roadsongs
Jimi Hendrix - Valleys Of Neptune

PRETTY OK
Jerry Lee Lewis - Mean Old Man
the Dead Weather - Sea Of Cowards
Magic Slim & the Teardrops - Raising the Bar
Dave Holland - Pathways
Marc Ford - Fuzz Machine
Cyndi Lauper - Memphis Blues
the White Stripes - Under the Great Northern Lights
VA - the Bert Berns Story Vol. 2

NOT SO GOOD
Joe Bonamassa - Black Rock
Steve Miller Band - Bingo!
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Mojo
Widespread Panic - Dirty Side Down
Jeff Beck - Emotion & Commotion
Axel Zwingenberger - the Magic Of Boogie Woogie
the Black Keys - Brothers
Katie Melua - the House

Date: September 13, 2010 21:05

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the Steve Miller too. No original material. nd a bit too smooth for me. Still, hope his gig in London next month is better.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2010 21:06

Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues.

Just out today.

Superb record, and even better than anything his dad has released in over a decade.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 13, 2010 22:10

The best album of 2010 is for me "Infestation" by Ratt. An absolute killer kick a** album!!!

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: September 13, 2010 22:33

Gazza

Just out today.

Superb record, and even better than anything his dad has released in over a decade.

I second that!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 13, 2010 23:32

Flamingo - Brandon Flowers

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 23:40

The Jim Jones Revue Burning Your House Down

Absolutely Fcuking AWESOME! thumbs up

Date: September 14, 2010 01:45

i have a list on another computer so i'll post it later but there was a lot of good hard rock/metal this year compared to other years. also before anyone see's my list and gets angry the following releases will not be counted due to the fact it is archived material or re-recordings of old material

hendrix- valleys of neptune
black crowes- croweology
springsteen- the promise

sorry but i don't count really old material being just released or redone

Date: September 14, 2010 01:46

found my list:

1 ratt- infestation :had little hope for this album and it blew me away
2 jeff beck- emotion and commotion :beck godlike as always
3 overkill- ironbound :not a huge fan of the band but one of the best new releases from an older thrash band
4 tom petty-mojo : Most of the songs have an allman brothers feel. nice bluesy album
5 nevermore- obsidian conspiracy : wow the five year wait was worth it. great vocals
6 ringo starr- y not :i've liked ringo's newer albums but this is his best album since the late 90's album vertical man
7 black label society- order of the black: for me this is BLS 4th best album
8 scorpions- sting in the tail :their last album supposedly but i thought humanity hour 1 was stronger
9 willie nelson- country music :willie's best album since the early 80's
10 keel- streets of rock :solid return to form by one of the best 80's singers

i expect the new accept and flotsam and jetsam to take 2 spots on this list so willie nelson and keel will fall which is a shame since both albums are good.

big surprises:
ozzy- scream: his best album in 15 years

biggest letdowns:
-heart- red velvet car: 6 years for a less than 40 minute album with bad production
-zz top-still no new album
-crosby,stills and nash- no new album. how long does it take to complete a cover tunes album?
-aerosmith- more than likely over as a band and no new album since 2001 of original material
-rob zombie- hellbilly deluxe 2: rob's worst solo album. sounds nothing like the first hellbilly album
-slash- self titled: compared to the previous works of slash since leaving GNR this album is just mediocre. i had high hopes for it too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2010 02:44

Bear Family's MASSIVE 15CD set of Hank Williams coming in about 4-5 weeks will be a BIG ONE .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 04:14

Peter Wolf's Midnight Souvenirs is an excellent record and is a must have!!

Date: September 14, 2010 10:07

Rockman
Bear Family's MASSIVE 15CD set of Hank Williams coming in about 4-5 weeks will be a BIG ONE .....

Jesus - not a 15CD Hank Williams set on its way. I just got the 10CD so called Complete Hank Williams. Hate it when this happens.

Date: September 14, 2010 10:10

Gazza

Just out today.

Thanks Gazza and Crazy Dadda. I'll investigate today. Been having a bit of a Steve Earle phase of late. Not heard anything since Revolution Blues which was good but not great. Really miss the quality of albums like Train A Coming, El Corazon and Transcendental Blues. Be interested to hear his Townes Van Zandt tribute though.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:19

This thread reminds me that I haven't bought anything that was released this year except of the Exile re-issue so far. There is so much from the existing music that I have to discover :-) But I'll try to find some inspiration in this thread

Edit: I almost forgot I bought The Magic Of Boogie Woogie, which is truly great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-14 10:21 by Happy24.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 11:03

keefriffhard4life
found my list:

4 tom petty-mojo : Most of the songs have an allman brothers feel. nice bluesy album
9 willie nelson- country music :willie's best album since the early 80's

Lot of people here seem to like it but Tom Petty's MOJO was a real let down for me. Mostly crap songs played well isn't good enough for me to listen to it much.

Willie's Country Music is great but if you think it's his best since the early 80s...I don't know. The Tribute to Cindy Walker from a couple years ago was as good as ANYTHING he has ever done.
Two Men and the Blues was fantastic and CountryMan and It Always will be all were great.

I don't keep up with everything new coming out but my favorites from this year besides Willie's cd were:

Reform School Girl by Nick Curran
Brothers by The Black Keys
Ghost Train by Marty Stuart

I buy a lot of old stuff that is new to me.

Date: September 14, 2010 11:36

willie had weak vocals on those albums. imo his voice sounds better on his newest album than it has in a long time. plus it reminds me of his 70's stuff a bit

Date: September 14, 2010 12:03

kidquick185
Peter Wolf's Midnight Souvenirs is an excellent record and is a must have!!

Second that, fantastic album! thumbs up

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 14, 2010 14:41

The Black Keys - Brothers
The Black Crowes - Croweology
Tom Jones - Praise & Blame
Tom Petty - Mojo

Date: September 14, 2010 14:47

mr edward
Tom Petty - Mojo

Oh yeah - I forgot the Tom Jones. Brilliant album. Fire and brimstone stuff. He sounds like a pre-war preacher from the American bible belt.

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: September 14, 2010 15:10

Ronnie Wood - I Feel Like Playing!!!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:23

I´d add,
Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues
Eilen Jewell-Butcher Holler : A Tribute to Loretta Lynn

Two impressive albums!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:25

Silver Dagger
mr edward
Tom Petty - Mojo

Oh yeah - I forgot the Tom Jones. Brilliant album. Fire and brimstone stuff. He sounds like a pre-war preacher from the American bible belt.

Well said! Greatest musical surprise of the year!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2010 18:21

Silver Dagger
Gazza

Just out today.

Thanks Gazza and Crazy Dadda. I'll investigate today. Been having a bit of a Steve Earle phase of late. Not heard anything since Revolution Blues which was good but not great. Really miss the quality of albums like Train A Coming, El Corazon and Transcendental Blues. Be interested to hear his Townes Van Zandt tribute though.

Steve peaked with the post-rehab trilogy of Train A-Comin (his greatest album), I Feel Alright (which ran it close) and El Corazon. Followed by 'The Mountain'. Only Copperhead Road is on the same level - The Revolution Starts Now (to give it the right title) is the best one since then. I was a bit disappointed in 'Townes', to be honest. Its not bad, I just thought it might be a bit better. I wish he'd get back with the Dukes again or do another bluegrass record.

Each of Justin's albums has improved on the one before. The only negative is that its quite short (31 minutes). Its absolutely superb, however. Looking forward to seeing him when he plays near me in November.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 14, 2010 18:27

Intriguer by Crowded House. It's amazing. After a few plays it will worm it's way into your subconscious.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 14, 2010 20:04

Hombre por dios!!!

JordiStones
Ronnie Wood - I Feel Like Playing!!!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home