Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: lets talk about the band TRAFFIC
Date: January 2, 2011 05:14

i always liked them but i am just getting into them a lot lately. what a great and somewhat underrated band.

Re: OT: lets talk about the band TRAFFIC
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2011 05:27

Spent alotta-lotta time with that Mr Fantasy ....And Traffic had it's
mighty moments....Forty Thousand Headmen ...Feelin' Alright.... and Low Spark floated around the room

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 2, 2011 05:53

Love the band--One of my favorites
"

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: January 2, 2011 06:11

Such an underrated band. Love Shootout & Low Spark. The live LP on the road is definitely worth a listen.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: January 2, 2011 06:53

Love the first two albums and John Barleycorn must die.Traffic might as well be one of the most underrated bands ever.They do not get nearly as much praise as they deserve whereas some other somewhat inferior sixties acts generate far more interest.For instance, as great as Cream was I do think that Traffic was far more intriguing as the band and had better songwriting chops.As for playing and vocals, not many people can compete with Steve Winwood's pipes.The guy still has a very powerful and colorful voice.When I saw him with Clapton he managed to steal the show despite Clapton's incredibly inspired performance that night(something that i frankly did not expect as I thought Clapton was somehwat washed up as a player).They sounded like a perfect combo and I wish they would tour again and delve into more of Traffic's excellent material ranging from haunting Freedom Rider to guitar fests such as Everymother's son and Stranger to myself, soulful 40 000 headmen or jazzy Giving it to you.

Also the contribution of Cpaldi Wood and Mason is just as important as Winwood's.These guys should have been the next Beatles

Date: January 2, 2011 06:56

"

?

Date: January 2, 2011 06:59

stones_serb
Love the first two albums and John Barleycorn must die.Traffic might as well be one of the most underrated bands ever.They do not get nearly as much praise as they deserve whereas some other somewhat inferior sixties acts generate far more interest.For instance, as great as Cream was I do think that Traffic was far more intriguing as the band and had better songwriting chops.As for playing and vocals, not many people can compete with Steve Winwood's pipes.The guy still has a very powerful and colorful voice.When I saw him with Clapton he managed to steal the show despite Clapton's incredibly inspired performance that night(something that i frankly did not expect as I thought Clapton was somehwat washed up as a player).They sounded like a perfect combo and I wish they would tour again and delve into more of Traffic's excellent material ranging from haunting Freedom Rider to guitar fests such as Everymother's son and Stranger to myself, soulful 40 000 headmen or jazzy Giving it to you.

Also the contribution of Cpaldi Wood and Mason is just as important as Winwood's.These guys should have been the next Beatles

don't know why you though clapton was washed up but anyways i like CREAM a lot more but lets not get into that. traffic was a great mix of jazz, rock and r&b. i think its the interplay between steve's piano/organ and the woodwind stuff that makes the band so unique. also cool that when mason was gone winwood took over guitar duties on the albums and the quality guitar playing never really dropped off.

Date: January 2, 2011 07:03

keefriffhard4life
stones_serb

don't know why you though clapton was washed up but anyways i like CREAM a lot more but lets not get into that. traffic was a great mix of jazz, rock and r&b. i think its the interplay between steve's piano/organ and the woodwind stuff that makes the band so unique. also cool that when mason was gone winwood took over guitar duties on the albums and the quality guitar playing never really dropped off.

Well I was simply wrong about Clapton for I had heard one of his recent live albums which just didn't sound like vintage Clapton.Agree about Winwood's guitar playing skills.I love his fat sound and the restrain he demonstrates when soloing, he rarely plays a redundant note and he can rip when it's needed.

Date: January 2, 2011 07:05

to be honest until last year i didn't even know winwood could play the guitar. well play well enough to solo. i'm sure most musicians are able to noodle on the guitar enough to get a song structure

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: January 2, 2011 18:59

On their concerts in the last two years Clapton and Winwood played not only songs from their Blind Faith cooperation but also several Traffic songs - we just watched their DVD from MSG New York.

They'll do five concerts together in May this year in the RAH London.

I think they recapture at least part of that Traffic spirit from the 70s.

There was a VHS available "Traffic live in Danta Monica" - don't know if you can get that on DVD - it's fantastic!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 2, 2011 19:11

funny I really wonder what a classically trained violinist or somebody would do given a guitar and Chuck Berry album.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 2, 2011 22:39

Reggae has nothing on Traffic for good smoke music

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 2, 2011 23:59

Great great band that encompassed so many different musical styles and still sounded organic and natural in everything they did. Mr Fantasy is my favourite as it was so groundbreaking on its release. But they made at least three other stone classics in Traffic, the second album, John Barkeycorn and of course Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys. They are one of the bands I turn to when I need a smile on my face.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: January 3, 2011 01:06

Universal is releasing a 2-CD Deluxe Edition of John Barleycorn Must Die. The original due date was February 7th, but CD Universe now lists it as being for Februarry 22nd. There's rumors going around that we are going to see Deluxe Editions for other Traffic albums as well.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 3, 2011 03:02

I didn't know until reading this thread that Winwood played guitar--thanks!

just earlier today I heard a cover of "Feelin' All Right," maybe by Ray Charles?!?

made me want to listen more to Traffic, though I haven't looked as fondly on them since I learned that "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" is thought to be an insult of Mott the Hoople. What snobs!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 3, 2011 03:11

Date: January 3, 2011 05:10

72stones
Universal is releasing a 2-CD Deluxe Edition of John Barleycorn Must Die. The original due date was February 7th, but CD Universe now lists it as being for Februarry 22nd. There's rumors going around that we are going to see Deluxe Editions for other Traffic albums as well.

any clue whats on the deluxe edition?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 3, 2011 05:30

Big Traffic fan.

Clapton has always been better when one or more other musicians of stature are there to challenge him. He tends to coast when he's just playing with his own band. (Winwood, too, raises his game when he's with other headliners.)

I saw Clapton and Winwood at the 2d Crossroads festival in '07. They were the highlight of the 11 or so hour show.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 3, 2011 07:20

Funny. How long will this thread continue before the name "Jimmy Miller" comes up?

Miller's work with Winwood seems to have set up a few of those great Stones tracks perfectly: the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin'" ("Jumpin' Jack Flash") and "I'm A Man" ("Gimme Shelter") as well as "Feelin' Alright" ("You Can't Always Get What You Want") and "Pearly Queen" ("Dear Doctor").

Hat's off to Jimmy for making some of the best rock'n'roll records of all time...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 3, 2011 12:13

keefriffhard4life
72stones

Here you go.

Traffic’s “John Barleycorn Must Die”, their seminal 4th album from 1970 has been remastered and expanded to 2CDs and is due on 7th February 2011.

Disc One has been restored to it’s original 1970, 6-track running order while Disc Two, which was compiled by Steve Winwood contains Alternate mixes of “Stranger To Himself” and “Every Mother’s Son” and the first version of “John Barleycorn Must Die” plus 7 songs recorded live in 1970 at the Fillmore East in New York – available officially for the very first time!

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

THE ORIGINAL ALBUM REMASTERED

01: Glad ( 6:59 )
02: Freedom Rider ( 5:30 )
03: Empty Pages ( 4:34 )
04: Stranger To Himself ( 3:57 )
05: John Barleycorn Must Die ( 6:27 )
06: Every Mother’s Son ( 7:08 )

DISC TWO

ALTERNATE TAKES & LIVE Previously Unreleased *

01: Stranger To Himself Alternate mix ( 4:10 )
02: John Barleycorn Must Die First version ( 5:10 )
03: Every Mother’s Son Alternate mix ( 7:01 )
04: Back Stage and Introduction ( 1:44 ) *
05: Medicated Goo Live ( 4:38 ) *
06: Empty Pages Live ( 5:03 ) *
07: Forty Thousand Headmen Live ( 4:50 ) *
08: Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring Live ( 5:21 ) *
09: Every Mother’s Son Live ( 7:08 ) *
10: Glad / Freedom Rider Live ( 14:40 ) *

*Recorded Live at The Fillmore East on the 18th and 19th November 1970

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 3, 2011 12:25

I love their 1st two albums, and have a bit of a soft spot for John Barleycorn Must Die.

I think their 2nd album is the best of the bunch though, really like the production on that one, especially on 40,000 Headmen and No Time To Live.

Date: January 3, 2011 12:35

The obvious bridge between Stones and Traffic is Jimmy Miller. To me the production of a song like "Gimme Some Lovin" is huge in the Stones' development. This is what Miller was great at: the use of percussion, the recording of a Grand Piano, and the use of air and space.
Sympathy for the Devil and Gimme Some Lovin are close cousins to me.

I also like how back in those days it seems like there was such camraderie among the British Blues, R&B clans. Dave Mason, Rik Gretsch, Capaldi, Wyman, Watts, Lennon...people got around.

annot. Apologies to Rev. Robert; I just see that he said much of what I had to say already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-03 12:36 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 3, 2011 13:31

Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life
72stones

Here you go.

Traffic’s “John Barleycorn Must Die”, their seminal 4th album from 1970 has been remastered and expanded to 2CDs and is due on 7th February 2011.

Disc One has been restored to it’s original 1970, 6-track running order while Disc Two, which was compiled by Steve Winwood contains Alternate mixes of “Stranger To Himself” and “Every Mother’s Son” and the first version of “John Barleycorn Must Die” plus 7 songs recorded live in 1970 at the Fillmore East in New York – available officially for the very first time!

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

THE ORIGINAL ALBUM REMASTERED

01: Glad ( 6:59 )
02: Freedom Rider ( 5:30 )
03: Empty Pages ( 4:34 )
04: Stranger To Himself ( 3:57 )
05: John Barleycorn Must Die ( 6:27 )
06: Every Mother’s Son ( 7:08 )

DISC TWO

ALTERNATE TAKES & LIVE Previously Unreleased *

01: Stranger To Himself Alternate mix ( 4:10 )
02: John Barleycorn Must Die First version ( 5:10 )
03: Every Mother’s Son Alternate mix ( 7:01 )
04: Back Stage and Introduction ( 1:44 ) *
05: Medicated Goo Live ( 4:38 ) *
06: Empty Pages Live ( 5:03 ) *
07: Forty Thousand Headmen Live ( 4:50 ) *
08: Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring Live ( 5:21 ) *
09: Every Mother’s Son Live ( 7:08 ) *
10: Glad / Freedom Rider Live ( 14:40 ) *

*Recorded Live at The Fillmore East on the 18th and 19th November 1970
i think i'd rather keep the version i have with the 2 winwood demo tunes

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 3, 2011 13:35

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:07

They never had a hit single in the USA. Not even Empty Pages or Rock And Roll Stew. Paper Sun, which I've always considered THE great psychedelic single, perfectly capturing the this-flowerpower-thing-will-be-over-by-the-time-you've-heard-this 1967 vibe, barely even charted in the States. Amazing that Paper Sun was recorded even as The Spencer Davis hit I'm A Man was still climbing the charts. Those two records, both of them incredible, couldn't have been more different from one another. Dave Mason played the sitar on Paper Sun, and, unlike some other rock guitar players who dabbled with that instrument, sounds as if he really knew how to play it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 02:02 by tatters.

Date: January 4, 2011 17:15

stones_serb

As for what might have been, it's interesting to note that Winwood and Mason reached their creative peaks, apart from one another, but still at the same time. Traffic's John Barleycorn and Mason's Alone Together were released almost simultaneously, in the summer of 1970. Imagine if Mason had still been in Traffic. That could have been one of the four or five greatest rock albums of all time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-04 17:21 by tatters.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:59

His Majesty
I love their 1st two albums, and have a bit of a soft spot for John Barleycorn Must Die.

I've always felt that John Barleycorn Must Die was almost a solo project for Winwood having written much of the material and playing a great deal of the instruments. At that time there were only three members;

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:10

tatters
Paper Sun, which I've always considered THE great psychedelic single...

Certainly one of them. I also like Hole In My Shoe, but I don't think they recorded other interesting tracks.

tatters
... barely even charted in the States.

Strange, because it sounds commercial enough. A great single indeed.

Date: January 4, 2011 20:44

yeah they get played more now on classic rock stations than they did in the bands heyday

Date: January 5, 2011 01:40

lsbz
tatters
Paper Sun, which I've always considered THE great psychedelic single...

Certainly one of them. I also like Hole In My Shoe, but I don't think they recorded other interesting tracks.

tatters
... barely even charted in the States.

Strange, because it sounds commercial enough. A great single indeed.

Paper Sun was a top 5 hit in the UK, but in the U.S., it peaked at #94. Yeah, it is strange. Very few singles capture the spirit of '67 as perfectly as that one. And it's not as if Steve didn't already have an audience. Gimmie Some Loving and I'm A Man were both top 10 hits in the States. Maybe DJs didn't realize it was the same guy singing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home