Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Return of Lisa Fischer
Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: September 12, 2010 02:59

[soulbounce.com]

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Re: OT: The Return of Lisa Fischer
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 09:23

horrible song...

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 12, 2010 11:33

Lisa's my favourite member of the backing band! So extremely talented - she works with all the biggest names in the business - and so sweet, humble and loyal. She's been with the Stones for decades - and they all love her.
I'm happy to see she's going to pursue her solo career again. She has made sacrifices to work for the likes of the Stones. I believe she started doing that shortly after she won her Grammy.
I take every chance I can get to hear - and see - Lisa. A wonderful person and so extremely talented. I wish her all the best of luck!
Go GIRL! Here she is with some of her colleagues.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 12, 2010 12:06

Not my favourite kind of music. But Lisa can still sing. And I agree with Addicted, Lisa is lovely.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 12, 2010 15:39

Lisa is class, they just don't use her enough...she nails Gimme Shelter and there are other songs which she could do more on instead of just backing...Keith could do 'Make No Mistake' with her as a duet instead of some of the other songs that ceased to work live.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 12, 2010 17:10

crumbling_mice
Keith could do 'Make No Mistake' with her

Oh man, what a great idea. I would love that

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: September 12, 2010 17:21

Rolling Hansie
crumbling_mice
Keith could do 'Make No Mistake' with her

Oh man, what a great idea. I would love that

thumbs up That would be so awesome...

Date: September 12, 2010 18:35

Make No Mistake! Yes, I'd lend my ears to that duet - since they will never perform Gimme Shelter again live. Sadly.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 12, 2010 19:17

Addicted
Make No Mistake! Yes, I'd lend my ears to that duet - since they will never perform Gimme Shelter again live. Sadly.

Why is that Addicted?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 12, 2010 19:19

Oh. Well. I was going to chime in with 'I hope they don't do Gimme Shelter like they have with her again'.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: September 12, 2010 22:27

skipstone
Oh. Well. I was going to chime in with 'I hope they don't do Gimme Shelter like they have with her again'.

i also hope so..
smileys with beer

Posted by: Max Volume!!! ()
Date: September 12, 2010 22:58

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 13, 2010 00:52

Lisa is lovely and has a great a** (SOrry girls I'm a guy) but I have grown tired or her doing Gimme Shelter and Monkey Man with Mick its gotten boring!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 19, 2010 06:37

This is interesting. There must be a very good reason for laying "Gimme Shelter" to rest. Mick just played at MSG with U2, Fergie, and Will i. Am last November. Is it a question of Lisa not hitting the notes any more? That's the only thing I can think of. Don't tease us, Addicted.

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: September 19, 2010 08:40

She is a great background singer, but the song is horrible, sounds like some trash from the 80´s.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:09

Lisa's lovely, and she is maybe the sweetest part musically and visually of the Las Vagas package (even though sometimes I discover myself thinking that the things aren't in the best possible way if I find myself paying more attention to back singer's visual "attributes" and to than to music in a Rolling Stones concert... which surely is not the fault of Lisa!).

Anyway, I also agree that better to let "Gimme Shelter" to remain retired - they have played it to death, and made the most magical rock song of all-time an tiresome show cliche (I guess the reason to not play it can't be Lisa's voice but Keith's fingers - the last versions I have heard of it tried with all Vegas-tricks to cover the lack of Keith's ability to play the famous riff). But if the new Tour (?) will have any EXILE flavor, Lisa will have lots to do.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 11:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: September 19, 2010 16:47

Hahaha Love the assgrab pic grinning smiley

Date: September 19, 2010 17:52

Rocky Dijon
This is interesting. There must be a very good reason for laying "Gimme Shelter" to rest. Mick just played at MSG with U2, Fergie, and Will i. Am last November. Is it a question of Lisa not hitting the notes any more? That's the only thing I can think of. Don't tease us, Addicted.

I asked CL if they could play "Gimme Shelter" once. This was at the European Tour opening in Brussels, and he was on his way to see MJ, to discuss the set list for the opening show. (We had rooms in the same hotel corridor. Yes, Stones security looked well after us all!) He said: No, we are never going to do "Gimme Shelter" again, I'm sorry.
He did not go into details about why, but comming from the band leader, I knew he would never make that up. They're all aware how much this song means to a lot of us.

And about the pic of Lisa and Mick and his hand on her bum... Yes, it's funny. It's from the O2 in August 2007, I think. I took that photograph standing next to an Australian gentleman! Some Rockman, or something. >grinning smiley< I think he might have been a little envious of Jagger at that moment...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 19, 2010 19:34

Thank you as always, Addicted.

I find it hard to accept the theory posted earlier that the opening is beyond Keith. I'm not a musician, but it doesn't strike me as more challenging than many other Stones songs for Keith. I would suspect it has to do with the notes Lisa has to hit during the song or a personal reason the band wishes to keep private.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 19, 2010 20:03

Don't think they stop such a song because of Lisa! And personal reasons?

But "if" Keith can't play relativly simple but quintessential Stones songs like Gimme Shelter, Jumpin J. Flash, etc anymore, - why still go on?! Where's the sense of it all?
I did my life with the Stones and I'm grateful for it but that way it's getting more and more embarrassing . .

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 19, 2010 20:10

the song structure is simple, but the guitar picking in the intro is pretty tough--note that he was already playing something simpler on the '72 tour (and maybe '69... I haven't listened to that version in a while).

but the vehemence of Chuck's comment does suggest some more personal or enmotional reason...

Date: September 20, 2010 11:36

Hey guys - Rocky Dijon, CousinC and cc. Please don't read a lot of stuff into that post of mine!
As I wrote: Chuck DID NOT GO INTO DETAIL about why they'll never play Gimme Shelter again.
And I can't understand how anyone who was not present can come up with a conclusion about what he really meant. I was there, and a Swedish pal - hi Max!, and Chuck left us puzzled.
There was no way we could figure out WHY. The speculations here are quite pointless.

Date: September 20, 2010 12:03

I won't speculate, but is there a slight possibility that Chuck meant "not again on THAT tour"?

Date: September 20, 2010 16:18

No - he said never.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 20, 2010 16:43

I don't like that song so much, but I saw her live with Blondie a while ago and got to talk a bit after the show. She was just unbelievable sweet. We Austrians are rather reserved people and she really took me by surprise by giving me a big hug instead of shaking my hand or something.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 20, 2010 16:54

a new mystery/controversy for us fans to ponder. Mr. Leavell says 'never again' regarding Gimme Shelter live. WHY??

Addicted, or BV, please ask Mr. Richards...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2010 17:32

Addicted
No - he said never.
And yet,mick did it with U2 at the rock & roll HOF concert. So it's clearly not him who has a problem with playing it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 20, 2010 17:32

But Addicted - no more Gimme Shelter!
If that isn't something to be puzzled about on a Stones forum!?

Date: September 20, 2010 21:42

sweetcharmedlife - When I spoke with Chuck, it was about the Stones, not about what the various members could do solo - or with others in the future. CL couldn't possibly know anything about that.

duke Richardson: I'm going to meet Keith, in November, and if it comes up like a natural part of the conversation, I can ask. And if it feels right, and not out of line or inappropriate, I can post his answer, but only if he's ok with it. I would never quote online from personal conversations with anyone - and particularly not conversations with Keith. I have too much respect for the man to break the trust. I've never reported from any other conversations with him, either.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:20

thanks for considering it, Addicted! smiling smiley

I'd be curious about Keith's response regarding GS ...after all, Keith wrote it

its only one of the most iconic songs ever!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home