Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Stones show "semi-confirmed" in Sweden next summer and band members have been informed about tour
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2010 14:11

JumpingKentFlash
I'm pretty sure we'll get a tour next year. Remember in 2005 when you signed up for RollingStones.com? You got an e-mail telling you about the benefits and ".... exclusive pre-sales, should the band announce shows". Well guess what. Some days ago I got a mail from the new RS.com titled "Welcome to the world of the Rolling Stones we'll be in touch soon". It has this line in it: "We promise to keep you up-to-date on all news, exclusives, free downloads, live dates and everything else to do with the Stones". I'm 99% sure of a tour next year, but as always: Nothing's set in stone.

there's been a rollingstones.com since about 2002, Kent.

For the recoprd, they also posted a similar message in June 2004 when the memberships expired inviting you to renew your sub (for $100) which would give you priority tickets should the band tour. And then it took another year and (and another $100) before they announced anything.

The new site is hardly going to exclude 'live dates' from a pledge to inform you of 'everything to do with the Stones'. Plus, youve kinda overlooked the fact that hasnt been much in the way of 'news, exclusives and free downloads' either. Just because they'll inform if something happens doesnt mean to say that it will.

That said, I agree that its pretty likely they'll tour in 2011. But not for anything connected to their official site.

Re: Stones show "semi-confirmed" in Sweden next summer and band members have been informed about tour
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: August 19, 2010 15:15

Whatever the tour dates, and i'm sure they will tour. My main aim will be to check the boys out in Europe this year. Although it's good in North America and the UK the best outdoor gigs I've been to are the ones which will manage to maintain the 'festival seating' principle I like to get in, wander around the field etc. With the set seats I fell constrained and hemmed in. The last few UK concerts have been restrictive in that way. Best day of the UK tour for me was Slaine castle, just how a concert should be.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 19, 2010 15:18

Lorenz
the big news is that the band members (and I am sure they mean the horn section, lisa, bernard and blondie here) are told not to take any jobs then.That is quite solid!

Or quite disappointing depending on how you look at it.

Date: August 19, 2010 15:26

Monkeytonkman
Whatever the tour dates, and i'm sure they will tour. My main aim will be to check the boys out in Europe this year. Although it's good in North America and the UK the best outdoor gigs I've been to are the ones which will manage to maintain the 'festival seating' principle I like to get in, wander around the field etc. With the set seats I fell constrained and hemmed in. The last few UK concerts have been restrictive in that way. Best day of the UK tour for me was Slaine castle, just how a concert should be.

Slane is in the UK? That'll go down well. LOL.

Slane was horrible. Enjoyable show, but it quickly dawned on me why I hadnt been to a gig there in 12 years. Venue in the middle of nowhere (buses parked 4 miles away) and a bloody nightmare to get out of - climbing that hill in the mud in darkness isn't something I ever want to repeat.

As for the all-seated thing - they also had seated tickets on the pitch in Germany in 2007 and somewhere else - was it Scandinavia?

Its a growing trend by the Stones and Cohl to maximise revenue in more 'affluent' countries - ie, charging higher prices for pitch seats instead of leaving them as (less expensive) general admission tickets. 2003 it was London only, 2006 the rest of the UK, 2007 UK, Germany etc. No doubt the next tour will see this expanded even further.

Its the Stones' decision to do this. There's no law restricting these shows to being 'all seated'.

I take your point that it kills the atmosphere a bit. Then again, London crowds are a bit sterile anyway, compared to other parts of the UK and Europe. Seeing the Stones in Spain was a wonderful experience.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 19, 2010 15:36

Gazza
As for the all-seated thing - they also had seated tickets on the pitch in Germany in 2007 and somewhere else - was it Scandinavia?

Helsinki. Rome as well.

Date: August 19, 2010 15:55

Slane is in the UK? That'll go down well. LOL.

Slane was horrible. Enjoyable show, but it quickly dawned on me why I hadnt been to a gig there in 12 years. Venue in the middle of nowhere (buses parked 4 miles away) and a bloody nightmare to get out of - climbing that hill in the mud in darkness isn't something I ever want to repeat.

Its a growing trend by the Stones and Cohl to maximise revenue in more 'affluent' countries - ie, charging higher prices for pitch seats instead of leaving them as (less expensive) general admission tickets. 2003 it was London only, 2006 the rest of the UK, 2007 UK, Germany etc. No doubt the next tour will see this expanded even further.

Its the Stones' decision to do this. There's no law restricting these shows to being 'all seated'.

I take your point that it kills the atmosphere a bit. Then again, London crowds are a bit sterile anyway, compared to other parts of the UK and Europe. Seeing the Stones in Spain was a wonderful experience.[/quote]

Absolutely agree that it's the Stones decision, and it's true that more and more of mainland Europe and Subscribing to the seated format.

As for Slane being the (ahem) best gig in UK bit, no offence Meant! haha.

but for my money, lots of the things you describe as horrible' are all part of a great gig. Rain, mud, trudges, people going and dancing where they want, the Camaraderie, not being confined to a slip strip of seating space, where many people choose to take advantage of the seat being provided! Not really my bag.

Gimme a general admission ticket. Be it at a stadium or at a festival. people can mix and mingle a lot better and I find it a lot more conducive to a 'party' type atmosphere.

Of course I'll be going to the UK dates if they occur. But of course the best dates will be the ones where we have more freedom to be who we want

'We Piss anywhere man'

Rock on

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 19, 2010 18:46

No seating at the Scandinavian shows, Gazza. Only in Finland, but that´s not Scandinavia.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: August 19, 2010 18:53

All right, let´s hope they play in Gothenburg at ullevi and not Stockholm Stadium...it sucks.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: August 19, 2010 19:00

YYEEESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Chheeeerrrss!!!smileys with beer

Date: August 19, 2010 19:30

mickijaggeroo
No seating at the Scandinavian shows, Gazza. Only in Finland, but that´s not Scandinavia.

Yeah baby. Now thas what I'm talking about!! Bring it on

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 19:55

FolkyFireKitten1
Sweet words to my ears... errr... my eyes... THANKS!

LOL

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 19, 2010 20:16

Who's Driving Your Plane?
the real question is why are you wasting your time looking for photos of bernard fowler?

I was wondering the same thing.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 19, 2010 20:25

JumpinJeppeFlash
All right, let´s hope they play in Gothenburg at ullevi and not Stockholm Stadium...it sucks.

I disagree big time. I'd prefer Stockholm Stadium because it's smaller and if there's gonna be just ONE Stones show in Sweden I want it to be in the capital of Scandinaviasmiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2010 20:35

The Stones
JumpinJeppeFlash

I disagree big time. I'd prefer Stockholm Stadium because it's smaller and if there's gonna be just ONE Stones show in Sweden I want it to be in the capital of Scandinaviasmiling smiley

Well, have you ever been to a show at ullevi or Stockholm stadium? The sound at Stockholm stadium sucks and during the licks tour in 2003 the crowd sucked as well.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 19, 2010 20:35

StonesTod
The Greek
we have been done this road before and it turned out to be a non starter the last couple of years.

for the life of me, i can't understand why ppl get so excited about the slightest bit of optimistic news, when being a nay-sayer and pessimist is so much more satisfying.
are you looking into my soul or lack there of ?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 19, 2010 20:48

The Stones
JumpinJeppeFlash

Well...Stockholm can claim to be the capital of Scandinavia or whatever they like, but Göteborg is the Rock n Roll capital of Scandinavia winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: August 19, 2010 20:59

mickijaggeroo
The Stones
JumpinJeppeFlash

Well...Stockholm can claim to be the capital of Scandinavia or whatever they like, but Göteborg is the Rock n Roll capital of Scandinavia winking smiley

Totally agree!

thumbs up

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 19, 2010 21:02

So that means there is time from now until July 2011 to write, record and release a new album! Great!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 19, 2010 21:02

Gazza

Yeah - seats on the pitch in Frankfurt. I didn't mind the seats, but the echo at Commerzbank Arena (if it's still called that) is terrible, although not as bad as Amsterdam Arena, which is the worst venue soundwise that I have ever seen.

I'm always looking for an excuse to get to Paris, so Stade de France for me - easy access, decent sound, and pretty easy to get near the front of the stage.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 19, 2010 22:23

Maybe the two months rehearsals would allow them to play Glastonbury late june?

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 19, 2010 22:27

trainarollin
Who's Driving Your Plane?
the real question is why are you wasting your time looking for photos of bernard fowler?

I was wondering the same thing.
I've already answered that! Read the dam*ed thread, will ya?!

And yes, Gothenburg's Ullevi is a far better stadium than Stockholm. I've seen all the Ullevi shows over the years, and the crowd's a lot better than in Stockholm. However - the best Stones concert ever in Sweden must have been the one at Cirkus in 2003. I can't get that one out of my head.
If you don't have the bootleg from Stockholm's Cirkus - get it! Worth every penny!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 19, 2010 22:49

Addicted
the best Stones concert ever in Sweden must have been the one at Cirkus in 2003.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 19, 2010 23:45

Is it just me, or do I feel a "semi-collective" sigh of (hmmm - don't quite know how to describe it) apprehension (shall we say) - that if they've given "notice of intent" to the same set of backing musicians for 2011/2012 as they've used for a while now ... we oughtn't really be sitting here with expectations of seeing/hearing something significantly different to what we've had over the last decade or even longer ?

I'll gladly take 'em in whatever shape or form they appear, just bloody glad they're still around really, but at the same time the thought of seeing/hearing another Licks/ABB recycled does regrettably fill me with a certain amount of dread.

Weird emotions !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 19, 2010 23:47

paulywaul
another Licks

With arena and club gigs ... yes please

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 19, 2010 23:57

Rolling Hansie
paulywaul
another Licks

With arena and club gigs ... yes please

Good point

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: August 20, 2010 03:20

Scandinavian Stadiums:I prefer Stockholm against Gothenburg. Stockholm had very good shows in 95 & 03 and I think none of the Ullevi-shows in 98 and 07 was good. (82- Gothenburg was my 2 first and was the best I've ever seen at a stage at that point!!) The 2 worst stadiums in Scandinavia is in my homecountry Norway: Bergen (It's not a Stadium, it's a field - God, forbid them to ever play there again!) and near where I live, Valle Hovin - Oslo. (But they did a fantastic show there in 07 - best one ever at Valle Hovin.) Don't forget the best one: It's in Copenhagen. "Parken" is a fantastic stadium. Intimate, good sound and the Stones always do extremly good shows there - remember "Fool to cry" in 95!! I have seen all the shows in Parken exept 90, and I really hope they will do several shows there again! - I'll be there!!
"Parken" as a first choice for me - Best one in Scandinavia.

Per-Arne

Date: August 20, 2010 04:23

mickijaggeroo

Thanks, Vilhelm. Knew they were sitting 'somewhere up north'...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 20, 2010 07:16

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
I'm pretty sure we'll get a tour next year. Remember in 2005 when you signed up for RollingStones.com? You got an e-mail telling you about the benefits and ".... exclusive pre-sales, should the band announce shows". Well guess what. Some days ago I got a mail from the new RS.com titled "Welcome to the world of the Rolling Stones we'll be in touch soon". It has this line in it: "We promise to keep you up-to-date on all news, exclusives, free downloads, live dates and everything else to do with the Stones". I'm 99% sure of a tour next year, but as always: Nothing's set in stone.

For the recoprd, they also posted a similar message in June 2004 when the memberships expired inviting you to renew your sub (for $100) which would give you priority tickets should the band tour. And then it took another year and (and another $100) before they announced anything.

The new site is hardly going to exclude 'live dates' from a pledge to inform you of 'everything to do with the Stones'. Plus, youve kinda overlooked the fact that hasnt been much in the way of 'news, exclusives and free downloads' either. Just because they'll inform if something happens doesnt mean to say that it will.

That said, I agree that its pretty likely they'll tour in 2011. But not for anything connected to their official site.

Actually there's been a rollingstones.com since 1997 if I'm not mistaking. The old website was www.the-rolling-stones.com, but I can't quite remember how it looked. Sometime around 1999 it was redesigned with a No Security skin, and you could listen to God-awful remixes of Out Of Control and the like (I remember enthusiastically telling my brother that there was a version of a Stones song he'd never heard on their website. "It's called In Hand With Fluke". Of course after actually hearing it, we hurled).

Didn't know about the 2004 sign-up mention of live dates you mention (Thanks). I just thought it sounded plausible, because of the 2005 sign-up mention.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:15

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash

Actually there's been a rollingstones.com since 1997 if I'm not mistaking. The old website was www.the-rolling-stones.com, but I can't quite remember how it looked. Sometime around 1999 it was redesigned with a No Security skin, and you could listen to God-awful remixes of Out Of Control and the like (I remember enthusiastically telling my brother that there was a version of a Stones song he'd never heard on their website. "It's called In Hand With Fluke". Of course after actually hearing it, we hurled).

Didn't know about the 2004 sign-up mention of live dates you mention (Thanks). I just thought it sounded plausible, because of the 2005 sign-up mention.

You're really lucky to get some news from the new rs.com, Kent. I registered on May and only got one e-mail at that time, for their new store, but nothing else since then and if I want to stay updated, I have to go on their facebook page, which is way more active... Not sure they're very serious on the new 'official' site. Like others, I think it's only to sell items on their stores and nothing else: when you don't want to click on their f*cking flags, it keeps coming back and coming back each time you change the pages... With the result that many of my Stones fans friends are pissed-off and don't visit that site anymore. Seeing all this, I suppose one can reasonably think fans won't get anything from them.

(I tried to stay polite, but even Keith new site as it is now is more... human.)

Edit: when I say I received nothing else, I meant nothing else than stuff they sell, of course.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 14:27 by FolkyFireKitten1.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:24

Per-Arne
Scandinavian Stadiums:I prefer Stockholm against Gothenburg. Stockholm had very good shows in 95 & 03 and I think none of the Ullevi-shows in 98 and 07 was good. (82- Gothenburg was my 2 first and was the best I've ever seen at a stage at that point!!) The 2 worst stadiums in Scandinavia is in my homecountry Norway: Bergen (It's not a Stadium, it's a field - God, forbid them to ever play there again!) and near where I live, Valle Hovin - Oslo. (But they did a fantastic show there in 07 - best one ever at Valle Hovin.) Don't forget the best one: It's in Copenhagen. "Parken" is a fantastic stadium. Intimate, good sound and the Stones always do extremly good shows there - remember "Fool to cry" in 95!! I have seen all the shows in Parken exept 90, and I really hope they will do several shows there again! - I'll be there!!
"Parken" as a first choice for me - Best one in Scandinavia.

Per-Arne
My first choice for a concert arena in Scandinavia at the moment would be the Telenor Arena in Oslo. Capacity: 23000. Biggest indoor arena in Northern Europe. AC/DC loved the place, the facilities are brilliant. (og det er enda nærmere der du bor, Per-Arne!)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home