Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
steel Wheels/urban jungle---Voodou lounge--Bridges---Licks--A bigger bang--Your fav???
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:30

Well--for me "A bigger Bang"

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: steel Wheels/urban jungle---Voodou lounge--Bridges---Licks--A bigger bang--Your fav???
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:35

Licks - for the different set lists and variety of songs

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: steel Wheels/urban jungle---Voodou lounge--Bridges---Licks--A bigger bang--Your fav???
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:36

But Voodoo is right up there!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:41

The best for me(and in my opinion the dvds and cds avail. prove it) is one you left out--NO SECURITY!!!!!!!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:48

In rough order, No Security, Bigger Bang, Licks, Bridges, Voodoo, Steel Wheels. They seemed to gain a bit more confidence after the overly careful '89-90 tours...And D. Jones took a couple tours to find his groove.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 12, 2010 01:35

ALL of them!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 12, 2010 01:44

its close but i will go with SW because billy boy was still there and its also the best ever show opener IMO before SMU was considered a warhorse, but they are all great tours from the vegas era that is

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: August 12, 2010 02:46

Licks!! The energy, the tracklist and the way they performed the songs!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 12, 2010 06:36

Bridges, closely followed by No Security. Licks is great too but Bridges had NEW songs as well as some very well played old songs.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: August 12, 2010 06:44

Voodoo

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 12, 2010 09:30

Urban Jungle
Licks
Voodoo
No Security

Date: August 12, 2010 09:53

Voodoo Lounge is my Fav. IMO some of their best rockers from the past 20 years on this album such as Love is Strong, You Got Me Rockin - Classic Stones.
I am also fond of Steel Wheels which was a resurgence for the Stones after the 80s dry spell. I just listened to this album recently and forgot how good these songs were. Mixed Emotions - excellent single.
I think that the last couple of albums have lost a little of that raw energy of Voodoo and SW.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 12:07

Licks, great set lists, good energy, Ronnie and Keith playing well. Cool stage, and two front row seats!
Voodoo next,
No Security,
Bridges
Steel Wheels

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 12, 2010 12:34

skipstone
Bridges, closely followed by No Security. Licks is great too but Bridges had NEW songs as well as some very well played old songs.

thumbs up

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 13:04

skipstone

it frightens me how often i agree with your posts lately. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 12, 2010 13:11

Licks, by a mile, setlist wise,

Playing: BtB or NO security

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 13:11 by Rik.

Date: August 12, 2010 13:33

The quality of the SW/UJ tours was superior, imo. They played better, much better. That being said, the VL show I attended was stunning, and I love some of the club shows from the Licks tour. The Licks show I attended in Stockholm Stadium was disappointing. The 2006/2007 shows I saw were great, especially Oslo 2007, which is in the top 3 shows I attended - so this is difficult smiling smiley

Judging from the boots, the 89/90 shows are much better, though. Compare Atlantic City or 7th Of July with boots from other tours - and I think the result is given, as far as the quality of playing (especially from Keith) goes.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 12, 2010 13:40

"and I think the result is given, as far as the quality of playing (especially from Keith) goes."

that's true

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 12, 2010 16:32

Stoneswashed, you've been making me laugh lately!

It is funny though how such a great tour Licks was with the diversity of the set lists. Possibly their best tour ever in that regard. They really were on top of what they were doing.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 12, 2010 17:08

The BtB and the No Security tour are my favourites, Voodoo had very strong and rather weak nights. 89/90 had fantastic shows (Tokyo forexample). During Licks Keith Richards played many autopilot shows, and during the ABB tour the guitars were not good, in 2007 they were horrible. One can check out the Bangalore 2003 concert which is pretty decent and copare it to ABB shows in 2005. The decline in the guitar department is shocking, I wonder what happened between 2003 and 2005.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 12, 2010 17:09

No security
Voodoo
Bang
Licks
Bridges
Steel Wheels

Date: August 12, 2010 17:21

windmelody
The BtB and the No Security tour are my favourites, Voodoo had very strong and rather weak nights. 89/90 had fantastic shows (Tokyo forexample). During Licks Keith Richards played many autopilot shows, and during the ABB tour the guitars were not good, in 2007 they were horrible. One can check out the Bangalore 2003 concert which is pretty decent and copare it to ABB shows in 2005. The decline in the guitar department is shocking, I wonder what happened between 2003 and 2005.

And compared to Atlantic City/Tokyo/7th Of July (London) 1989/90, Bangalore was a joke, imo. The "mystery" in the guitar department (especially with Keith) happened after 1990. It's even obvious on the Main Offender solo shows.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 12, 2010 17:36

Steel Wheels (it's the only tour I've seen, but I've been a fan for 32 yrs)
went to two of the shows in Oct 89 Shea Stadium

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 12, 2010 18:18

If you take a look at these tours just realize what fantastic work the Stones did: every tour a legend in it`s own, full of newest technic and always the biggest at the time.
So Steel Wheels never was my favourit musically (beside Mick`s haircut) but I think it was the most enthusiastic one after the long break and nearly breakup in the 80ies: seeing the best stage ever (Steel Wheels) in the darkness of Shea Stadium, with the best intro ever (CD with SMU) after all these years , first time since 1982, was a totally freak out!! All other tours were fantastic and some I loved more , but Steel Wheels was the blueprint of the new era, everything was new at the time.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 12, 2010 22:34

Regarding the stage designs I loved the Cobra.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 12, 2010 23:09

Steel Wheels - 1st Vegas tour, but Bill was still in, making it feel like their last 'legitimate working functioning band' tour. Plus it was my first time seeing them.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 12, 2010 23:11

Licks. It was a great concept of playing three different formats.
My only regret is that I wasn't able to catch a club show and
unfortunately the chance of future ones are slim.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 12, 2010 23:12

isn't it kinda the same tour with a few breaks in between? the vegas tour.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:09

bridges, my first tour

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:48

Based on the shows I saw live and the bootlegs & videos...

SW/Urban Jungle (I saw 3 shows) - Not so much. Too choreographed & Vegasy for me. Piano version of MR. Songs from SW album weak. I do miss Bill!

VooDoo (2 shows) - Much better! I liked the setlist and the VL songs played better live. The band sounded rawer (but a far cry from '73 as all shows since then have been IMO)

Bridges (3 shows) - Even better! B2B songs were great live! The band was cooking on the good nights.

No Security (2 shows) - About as good as it gets! Stripped down stage, back to arenas. more like the old days. Ronnie MIA at times but Keith in good form.

Licks (2 shows) - Great. The MSG show aired on HBO was as good as the band gets since the resurgence after Steel Wheels. Great set list. MR, CYHMK, Gimme Shelter SFM!

Bigger Bang (2 shows) - Some standout shows (Saitamo,Buenos Airies,Austin), but the rust is starting to show.

Just IMO!

Ross

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home