Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Stones song you cant stand that others like
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 29, 2010 23:10

You Can't Always Get What You Want - monotonous, toward the end I just want to scream, "OK, enough already!!"

Don't Stop - please, stop. Pseudo-rock.

Most R&B and soul covers they sing. Stick with what your strength is.

Beast of Burden - no particular reason, just never did anything for me.

Probably lots more. It is impossible to like everything any band puts out.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 29, 2010 23:26

You're all Crazy. (not a song title).

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 29, 2010 23:45

Doxa
Edward, you don't give SOME GIRLS rest at all...grinning smiley

- Doxa

I think you make a good point, Doxa, as always! I wish i could be more complimentary with regards to the album, and i really do try! Maybe i have a blind spot where the charm of Some Girls in concerned - the point i'm really trying to make is it's the album where i feel there's the biggest discrepancy between critical opinion, and my own personal viewpoint. It's certainly better than anything post Tattoo You,in my opinion, despite it being my least played of the original Rolling Stones 1964-81 album releases, aside from the UK release 'The Rolling Stones No2', which may well be the least distinctive album of the Stones career, although perhaps not the worst. The big four aside, consistency has really never been the Stones forte when it comes the quality of album tracks, although i think Some Girls' sequencing - in the way the tracks tend to compliment each other as an overall sound, is one of its major strengths. There are no real peaks and valleys with Some Girls, yet the album as a whole tends to wear very thin pretty quickly, because of its predominantly one dimensional sound.

'The Rolling Stones No2' is perhaps the only album of the Stones first decade which shows no particular progress or development. I believe it is just a much less effective version of the Stones debut, without much of the energy and spontaneity. The Stones seemed to have used many of their most effective cover songs on their debut, unfortunately, and their own songs such as 'What A Shame' and 'Grown Up Wrong', tends to show them still in the early stages of learning to write effective and memorable songs, although maybe 'Off The Hook' is a little better. No original compositions matches their first self penned released song, 'Tell Me' off their debut album. The covers 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love' and 'Time Is On My Side' tends to work best. The follow up 'Out Of Our Heads' was much more full blooded, more rock 'n' roll fury, very similar in pace to their self titled debut, although 'Out Of Our Heads' was equally influenced by soul music, which was, in terms of it being on a consistent level, a first.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 00:00 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 29, 2010 23:57

Edward Twining
Most of the tracks off Some Girls, the most overrated album of the Stones career.

Edward, we certainly do not always agree and we sometimes put different accents, which is good. But on this one we agree, which is also good!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2010 00:02

can't stand v. overrated. as a courtesy to those around us, let's please remind ourselves the thread to which we are contributing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2010 00:13

Erik_Snow
brandanman2
I love the Rolling Stones, they are one of my most favorite music bands of all-time, but I could never stand the following:

You can't always get what you want (so annoying, as much so as Hey Jude is)
Beast of Burden
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Midnight Rambler
Under my Thumb (the only good thing is the music, but that's not enough)
Out of time (see previous)
Tell me you're coming back (too Beatles like)
Something happened to me yesterday (see previous)
19th Nervous Breakdown
We Love You
Dandelion
You can't catch me

There are probably more, but these are the top ones.

So you love Rolling Stones, but don't like their songs ? I see

From the perspective of saving time, might have been a little easier coming up with a list of songs you actually like brandanman2 (or is it brandanman the second?)

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 30, 2010 00:20

'Time Waits For No One' and 'Tops'.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: July 30, 2010 00:35

StonesTod
can't stand v. overrated. as a courtesy to those around us, let's please remind ourselves the thread to which we are contributing.

You're right Tod. So I correct myself. All the tracks off Some Girls.

Posted by: brandanman2 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 08:59

Erik_Snow
brandanman2
I love the Rolling Stones, they are one of my most favorite music bands of all-time, but I could never stand the following:

You can't always get what you want (so annoying, as much so as Hey Jude is)
Beast of Burden
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Midnight Rambler
Under my Thumb (the only good thing is the music, but that's not enough)
Out of time (see previous)
Tell me you're coming back (too Beatles like)
Something happened to me yesterday (see previous)
19th Nervous Breakdown
We Love You
Dandelion
You can't catch me

There are probably more, but these are the top ones.

So you love Rolling Stones, but don't like their songs ? I see

I love the Rolling Stones, I really do! But, that does not mean I have to like all of their songs. There are a fair number, I like, and to the poster who said it would be easier to list the songs I do like. I can, and I will, they include:

(I can't get no) Satisfaction
Get off of my Cloud
As tears go by
Paint it black
Honky Tonk Women
Ruby Tuesday
The Last Time
It's only rock and roll (but I like it)
She's a rainbow (I guess)
Mother's little helper
Let's spend the night together (perhaps)
Angie

There are of course many more, but I cannot think of any more right now. I am tired, I guess, but do not cut me down to size. I love the Rolling Stones, and I do not need anyone to tell me otherwise.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 30, 2010 09:38

Oh No Not You Again - why they chose to do this one live makes me want to pound my head on the table. no melody whatsoever. none. zilch. even Can't Be Seen was infinitely catchier than this one. so many good tunes on BB that were not done on the tour and they chose promote this stinker. even harder to fathom that folks in the crowd were singing along. not singing, actually. more like talking along. oh the humanity.

Flip the Switch - same as above, different tour.

Slave & Hey Negrita - people keep calling out to hear these live. i would not even pick my nose with them. well, might wipe the ass, but that's as far as it goes.

Live With Me - reminds me of a plugged toilet. the dueling guitar chords are the flush and the ensuing overflow. not really a bad song, just can't get the image out of my head. it all started when i first heard the LiveR version where Mick goes "i think we got a problem". Mick's plunging away but Charlie keeps filling it back up with you know what. it's a bad image. i hope none of you see this, too!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 09:46 by josepi.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 30, 2010 09:54

Bitch
Child of the moon
Midnight rambler (studio version)
The entire Dirty Work album

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 30, 2010 09:57

Probably 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' (the single), although to say i can't stand it is putting it a little too strongly. I think the song is a way of the Stones denouncing themselves and their role as serious musical artists. Maybe many artists are in the business to purely entertain, i think to a large degree it is true of the Stones too, although up to that point the Stones had proved to be much more than that, with their truly inspiring accomplishments, both musically, and of course lyrically. Entertaining is of course the ultimate goal, but there are many ways to go about it. Particuarly by the time of the song's release the british charts were full of real fun novelty type acts - 'The Rubettes', 'Mud', etc. even the 'Wombles' ! Somehow with this single, and with a number of the songs that feature on the 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' album (such as 'If You Can't Rock Me' and the uninspiring cover of the Temptations 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg') the subtlety and musical textures which were such a prominant feature of the best of the Stones music are pretty much gone, and sloganism takes over. That's not to say that the song doesn't have a certain charm, i quite like the tempo, Jagger's campy vocal, and Keith's Chuck Berry riffs, but on the whole the song sounds very forced and contrived ultimately. Maybe Slade were an influence on the Stones at this point in time, as i have read somewhere, especially relating to the sloganist inspired title, although as good as Slade were they were never really a match for the Stones at their best. To a degree, like much of the Stones music, however, 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' does represent the musical climate of the time pretty much. However, this isn't always exclusively true of the Stones. It's just a shame the Stones being so barren of inspiration should decide to follow. A couple of years earlier they would have managed to find their own way.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-31 00:19 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 30, 2010 15:56

Angie
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
The studio version of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (way better in cool smiley
Fool to Cry
Far Away Eyes
Undercover of the Night

It's not fair to mention the four new ones on 40 Licks. I'm not aware of anyone who likes them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 15:58 by baxlap.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 30, 2010 17:12

Edward Twining
Most of the tracks off Some Girls, the most overrated album of the Stones career.

I concur!

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: July 30, 2010 17:23

Koen

How many like 'Gomper'?

I think Gomper is one of those songs you either love or hate with no in-between. Personally, I think it is a work of art (and not everybody loves art). There's a lot going on in this song - it's both mystical and haunting. It's a good representation of stretching the imagination and going beyond the mainstream. The mood of TSMR could never be recreated today.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 30, 2010 17:43

crazymama
Shattered - it really gets on my nerves!

agree! and never understood why they insist on performing even worse live versions over and over again....

Date: July 30, 2010 17:49

guitarbastard
crazymama

agree! and never understood why they insist on performing even worse live versions over and over again....

blame stonesdoug

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 30, 2010 17:50

StonesTod
guitarbastard
crazymama

blame stonesdoug

why? ;-)

Date: July 30, 2010 17:50

Edward Twining
Probably 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' (the single), although to say i can't stand it is putting it a little too strongly. I think the song is a way of the Stones denouncing themselves and their role as serious musical artists. (...)

A couple of years earlier they would have managed to find their own way.

Yeah, that was a deadly move. Music isn't the appropriate vehicle to express 'self-mockery'.

With GHS (the 'autumn' album), large parts of IORR (the band already disintegrating) and B&B (the 'hotchpotch' album) they still could find their own way for a great deal, but after the GHS/1973 Tour they were also wandering and finally lost their way. With Some Girls they were seriously trying to find their own way back or better said: a way out. Time has proven it was neither really theirs nor a way out.

Date: July 30, 2010 19:12

guitarbastard
StonesTod
guitarbastard
crazymama

blame stonesdoug

why? ;-)

cos it's his fave stones tune and he has clout

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2010 20:37

StonesTod
guitarbastard
StonesTod
guitarbastard
crazymama

blame stonesdoug

why? ;-)

you did not tell him about shidoobee

Date: July 30, 2010 21:08

The Greek
StonesTod
guitarbastard
StonesTod
guitarbastard
crazymama

blame stonesdoug

why? ;-)

stonesdoug and shidoobee are synonmous....sorta like love and marriage or a horse and carriage - you can't have one without the other.....

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:17

salt of the earth
jigsaw puzzle
sister morphine

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:18

nonfilter
'Time Waits For No One' and 'Tops'.

[www.non-filters.com]

Time Waits is masterpiece end of.

John Nicholls

Posted by: brandanman2 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:20

baxlap
Angie
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
The studio version of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (way better in cool smiley
Fool to Cry
Far Away Eyes
Undercover of the Night

It's not fair to mention the four new ones on 40 Licks. I'm not aware of anyone who likes them.

Uh, I like "Angie" and I am sure there are many who do. I agree about the other songs, though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:20

StonesTod
The Greek
StonesTod
guitarbastard
StonesTod
guitarbastard
crazymama

blame stonesdoug

why? ;-)

stonesdoug and shidoobee are synonmous....sorta like love and marriage or a horse and carriage - you can't have one without the other.....
i knew that ,i did not know if the other person did though

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 31, 2010 00:58

Miss You

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 31, 2010 01:58

teleblaster
I've never been a big fan of Shattered.
+1

Me neither. It's a non-song to me.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 31, 2010 03:45

"Rock And A Hard Place" is a big, pompous, stinking turd, but I am not sure it qualifies for this thread as I can't recall anyone admitting they like it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 31, 2010 04:03

Lies and Shattered .........to name only two.

There are some you mentioned that are my favorites ..We Love You and Jig Saw Puzzle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home