Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drums on Honky Tonk Woman - Charlie or Jimmy?
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 27, 2010 09:04

I know that the cowbell is played by Jimmy Miller. But I heard that he also played the drums on the track. Is that true? It's definitely not Charlie's drumming style and the fact that I never heard a live version that sounded as good as the recorded one makes me think that it is really not Charlie who played it.

Re: Drums on Honky Tonk Woman - Charlie or Jimmy?
Date: July 27, 2010 09:53

Maybe Bill played drums!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 27, 2010 11:00

Jimmy Miller has played the drums on the HTW original version. CW has played on Country Honk.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 27, 2010 14:28

Charlie plays the Drums, he sais so himself in the "according to the Rolling Stones" book. He explains that he is playing the drums, Jimmy is on the Cowbel and one of them comes in at the wrong place but it worked so they left it as it was.

Jimmy does however play drums on the b-side (You Can't Always Get What You Want).
Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 14:28 by vudicus.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 27, 2010 14:34

Charlie played on HTW but Jimmy showed him how to play . .

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:10

For someone so important to the Stones, there isn't that much out there about Jimmy Miller. I'd love to read more about his life. looked into blogs, etc. and will keep looking.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:31

He must have taught Charly how to play the drums or played himself while he produced the Stones. Thats why this period in the Stones career is so special together with MT playing the guitar. It just sounds so much different than before or afterwards.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:32

It's Charlie and it's the best drumming (and best recorded drum SOUND) on ANY Rolling Stones record.

Date: July 28, 2010 03:54

Bimmelzerbott
the fact that I never heard a live version that sounded as good as the recorded one makes me think that it is really not Charlie who played it.

It has always sucked live, but I think that has more to do with the guitars than with Charlie. Any time you've got a record with overdubbed guitar parts (HTW sounds as if it's got several guitars overdubbed on top of one another) it's always difficult to recreate it live.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 28, 2010 04:00

In terms of drumming style, I think Jimmy Miller played with a somewhat lighter hand than Charlie Watts. Less ponderous . .

Date: July 28, 2010 04:02

jamesjagger
He must have taught Charly how to play the drums or played himself while he produced the Stones. Thats why this period in the Stones career is so special together with MT playing the guitar. It just sounds so much different than before or afterwards.

"The Holy Trinity"

Jimmy Miller, Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 28, 2010 07:07

Charlie! Sacreligious!

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 28, 2010 09:13

tatters
Bimmelzerbott
the fact that I never heard a live version that sounded as good as the recorded one makes me think that it is really not Charlie who played it.

It has always sucked live, but I think that has more to do with the guitars than with Charlie. Any time you've got a record with overdubbed guitar parts (HTW sounds as if it's got several guitars overdubbed on top of one another) it's always difficult to recreate it live.

I disagree. To me it has to do with the drums and not with the guitars. The recorded version just rocks. The drum entry, after the cowbell intro. is just awesome. There is some punch and groove in it that they never ever were able to recreate live. There is ALWAYS something missing when they play it, and I think it's because Charlie never played it the way it was recorded.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 28, 2010 14:02

To me you're right!

He always played different and I never really liked his live drumming on HTW.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:38

Bimmelzerbott
tatters
Bimmelzerbott

I disagree. To me it has to do with the drums and not with the guitars. The recorded version just rocks. The drum entry, after the cowbell intro. is just awesome. There is some punch and groove in it that they never ever were able to recreate live. There is ALWAYS something missing when they play it, and I think it's because Charlie never played it the way it was recorded.

I don't think Charlie CAN play it the way it was recorded. He has to play it the way Keith likes to play it. It's Keith who is just sluffing it off onstage. He's always the one who starts it off by just playing the opening notes, very slowly, over and over again. There's no way Charlie can stick to the recorded version when Keith is so far off from it. If Charlie started it off, and made Keith follow what HE was doing, it might sound a little more like the original, but that's not how the Stones operate.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:45

Bimmelzerbott
tatters
Bimmelzerbott

Charlies "explanation" for that is that he came in half a beat off and thus was never able to repeat that in concert. I posted an article that claimed that Jimmy Miller did a lot more drumming for the Stones than he is given credit for, and it caused quite a hullabaloo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 15:47 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:48

CousinC
Charlie played on HTW but Jimmy showed him how to play . .

CORRECT! Story was Charlie was having a difficult time finding the proper beat for Honky Tonk. Jimmy showed him, then Watts took it from there. Yes, morons, it is Charlie playing.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 28, 2010 17:13

The push/pull between the drums and guitar on the intro is sublime- Keith and Woody have always dumbed that part waaay down when they play it live. Too bad, its a classic.

Date: July 28, 2010 17:14

All this talk about Jimmy having to "show Charlie how to play" makes it sound as if he was standing there pointing with his finger at the drums. "Okay, first, hit this one! Now, hit this one!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 02:17 by tatters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 28, 2010 17:43

I actually prefer the Love You Live version over the single.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 28, 2010 17:55

skipstone
I actually prefer the Love You Live version over the single.

That is a great version. Keith's solo smokes.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:36

Yeah Keith's solo smokes - it's my all time favourite Keith solo actually. In fact, I dare say that that song is their best live recording ever. Mainly because of how Charlie changed the beat and Keith just makes the song and riffing much more sleazy to match Charlie's rhythm.

And ironically, Mick sings it fantastic. It's just way more laid back and not so cumbersome and that kind of cinder block foundation that is so tight and cubicle of the studio recording.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:52

I wonder what Jimmy actually showed Charlie?
To my ear, the only kind of different part is the
bass drum pattern. Instead of playing on 1 and 3
it's got that delayed 1st beat and double second beat.
Not really that unique but different from what the Stones
usually do and does fit the guitar pattern well.

As for the live version, I watched a you tube video of it.
Wonder if they played better because they were not all spread
out across a large stage, but we're closer together?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:58

Bimmelzerbott
tatters
Bimmelzerbott

charlie obviously plays the wrong pattern live. he does this with many songs.

absolutely not a fan of his drumming the last 20 years or so.

he used to be quite good though.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 28, 2010 21:40

I have always had the opinion that the drums on HTW are very much unlike Charlie, and very much like Miller....But there's various statements it is Charlie...I do remain conspicious though.

Mathijs

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 28, 2010 22:40

mitchflorida
jamesjagger

"The Holy Trinity"

Jimmy Miller, Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins

Mick Taylor basically has nothing to do with HTW - the songs was more or less finsihed and he came on with some few overdubs (probably ones that Keith could have played himself). Mick T himself has stated that in an interview from 1979.

Date: July 29, 2010 00:51

I read the opposite. This was Mick Taylor's audition with the Stones and he hit it out of the park.

The studio version never fails to impress me. Live version? Keith's monotonous intro sounds like a lullaby in comparison.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 29, 2010 02:34

charlie obviously plays the wrong pattern live. he does this with many songs.

absolutely not a fan of his drumming the last 20 years or so.

he used to be quite good though.[/quote]

Are you insane? In the last twenty years, Watts' playing has taken off into the Stratosphere.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 29, 2010 02:41

Carnaby
Are you insane? In the last twenty years, Watts' playing has taken off into the Stratosphere.
yeah, he's totally another vinnie colaiuta.

Date: July 29, 2010 06:17

If Jimmy Miller actually did the drumming, would they really want to publicize that? It would damage the credibility of Charlie Watts in the eyes of the public.

Dave Clark frequently had a session drummer do his work in the recording studio, but he certainly never publicized it or game him credit on the album notes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home