Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Anyone like the A bigger bang album?
Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: September 14, 2010 15:39

I'm just curious. I've just read some of the threads here, and the newer albums always get bashed by people here. Am I the only one who actually like a lot of the songs one the albums released from 89 and onwards?

Would the Stones fans been better off without Rough justice, She saw me coming, back of my hand, Almost hear you sigh, Sad sad sad, Mixed emotions, Don't stop, I go wild, Thru and thru, You got me rocking, Slipping away, Are you already over me, Always suffering, Oh no, not you again, To tight, Thief in the night, You don't hav to mean it, Out of control, Saint of me, Sparks will fly, Flip the switch, Rain fall down, Infamy, How can I stop, and so on?

I know I wouldn't. smiling smiley

Re: Anyone like the A bigger bang album?
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 14, 2010 15:46

ABB is okay, but not great. It sounds like a workout for a tour, so I sometimes do some exercises like pushups while listening to it. Dangerous Beauty is a great track, but the album was done a bit too fast, it sounds unfinished.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 14, 2010 15:55

ABB is great - especially It won't take long, Rain fall down, Oh no not you again,Laugh I nearly died. I've heard those tracks hundreds of times.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:09

Started to listen to it again this week. I like it, not a classic by any strectch but there is some good stuff, If they left off a few songs it would be better, I like it better then Bridges but not as much as voodoo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:16

For a Stones album, A BIGGER BANG sounds okay

(a) if one hasn't heard any Stones for a long time (happens very rarely)

or

(b) if one isn't able to listen any other Stones (happens very rarely)

or

(c) if one occasionaly hears a tune from it in some odd place (such as radio) (happens very rarely)

Even if any of those possibilites might happen, there is no occurrance of any kind of sentiment that "I want to listen it again."

So, yeah, I like it.tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:18

Sure, the stones would still be the stones even if they disbanded before SW; sure, none of the post TY albums can be considered essential; but you are damn right, we would have missed some great, great music.

As an album ABB is the one that I like best. It grew up well. Probably it could have been better if they had worked on it more, but on the other hand, who knows. There is a bunch of great rock and roll songs in it, that's for sure. It's honest. It's not meant to be anything special, yet in many ways it is.

C

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:20

NedKelly
Would the Stones fans been better off without
I'll answer this on a case-by-case basis.
NedKelly
Rough justice
Maybe.
NedKelly
She saw me coming
Yes.
NedKelly
back of my hand
Yes.
NedKelly
Almost hear you sigh
No.
NedKelly
Sad sad sad
No.
NedKelly
Mixed emotions
No.
NedKelly
Don't stop
No.
NedKelly
I go wild
No.
NedKelly
Thru and thru
Yes.
NedKelly
You got me rocking
No.
NedKelly
Slipping away
Maybe.
NedKelly
Are you already over me
Maybe.
NedKelly
Always suffering
Maybe.
NedKelly
Oh no, not you again
Yes.
NedKelly
To tight
Maybe.
NedKelly
Thief in the night
Yes.
NedKelly
You don't hav to mean it
Yes.
NedKelly
Out of control
No.
NedKelly
Saint of me
No.
NedKelly
Sparks will fly
No.
NedKelly
Flip the switch
No.
NedKelly
Rain fall down
Yes.
NedKelly
Infamy
Yes.
NedKelly
How can I stop
Yes.

I think the bottom line is that I don't like ABB, although I do like most of their other recent albums.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:26

Don't care of those sad people. ABB is as fantastic as exile or sticky. Don't pay attention to all these guys who have the UNIK THOUGHT. Let them with ac//dc or bruce springsteen. A bigger bang or bridges are MUSIC and not only cliches...
They always try to tell you what's beautifull...

Date: September 14, 2010 16:38

GetYerAngie
ABB is great - especially It won't take long, Rain fall down, Oh no not you again,Laugh I nearly died. I've heard those tracks hundreds of times.

...To each his own, but I might wanna add additional 'thumbs up' for "Rough Justice", "driving too fast", "This place is empty" and "Biggest mistake"!!
It's a góod album; all around.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:40

I´m not sad.
A Bigger Bang is a good record,it´s the one I like the most since Undercover
and of course it´s not as fantastic as Exile or Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:43

Shezeboss
Don't care of those sad people. ABB is as fantastic as exile or sticky. Don't pay attention to all these guys who have the UNIK THOUGHT. Let them with ac//dc or bruce springsteen. A bigger bang or bridges are MUSIC and not only cliches...

even "just wanna see his face" is about 2million times better and more rock n roll than any chord on ABB.
ABB is a colelction of mediocre - awfull songs (with 2 or 3 great tracks).
it has no soul, no direction, no message....
sticky and exile are masterpieces in rock history.

Date: September 14, 2010 16:43

I like it. Best since VL, imo.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:48

A true genius on the big bang, Stephen Hawking

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:56

guitarbastard
Shezeboss

even "just wanna see his face" is about 2million times better and more rock n roll than any chord on ABB.
ABB is a colelction of mediocre - awfull songs (with 2 or 3 great tracks).
it has no soul, no direction, no message....
sticky and exile are masterpieces in rock history.

Exile didn't exactly get the ultimatesoul and direction label glued to it in the days it was released. please be aware of that. And to even think or expect that the Stones would set the pace in rock music today would be rather stupid to me. Thank god that we get new bands for the younger generations to enjoy and follow. If we didn't the music developement would stop, and that would be a pity for all of us.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:16

I've always liked it. I don't like ALL of it though. They could have easily left off Rain Falls Down, Streets Of Love and Back Of My Hand and it would have been considerably better.

Take off the last 3 songs, which I do happen to like, and the album is suddenly quite good.

OOPS. I forgot about (HA HA!!!) Sweet Neo Con! Take that egg off and it helps even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-14 20:16 by skipstone.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:24

A forgettable album, it adds next to nothing. Laugh I Nealry Died and Dangerous Beauty are the only two great songs on ABB, the only two that earn their places in the cataloque.

This is an album for the fans, 'neutral' music lovers can find better albums to spend their money on.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:51

Loved the approach (Mick and Keith working without the others, Mick playing lots of guitar and even bass), which is why the content was so disappointing. There is just no way to make poor or mediocre material shine.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 14, 2010 18:20

I loved Bang when it was 1st released....Just like i loved Undercover album when it was 1st released but the problem
with both albums is its really kind of dull after you play it a few times..

The new Exile--Rarity cd is 100 times better because everytime i play that i like it better..
Bang seems to be kind of flat...Not much too keep you coming back for more..

I love the Stones albums because you get something different everytime you play it but with Bang i think it would have been far better if we Saw more of Keith in its writing....Its really a Mick Jagger album....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 14, 2010 18:25

I like it a lot. The 3 only tracks I can't stand are Rain Falls Down, Look What The Cat Dragged In and Dangerous Beauty. Other than those, I love all the rest of the album - a lot!

Date: September 14, 2010 20:16

I think it's strictly a matter of taking it for what it is. One can be disappointed with it when comparing it to Exile blah blah blah. Or one can enjoy it. It is what it is. I like it better than Dirty Work so, ha ha, it's not so bad. I still play it so it must not be all bad. It IS more together and cohesive than Bridges To Babylon. It IS more aggressive and distinctly tighter than Voodoo Lounge.

I certainly didn't have any expectations when it came out other than I hope it's better than Keys To Your Love and Stealing My Heart and Don't Stop so perhaps that's why I like it. It's beyond a matter of opinion on that regard. If you're going to have expectations and compare it to their huge albums band wise you are not going to like it. Because of the mere fact that it is NOT like a lot of their other albums.

It's not Exile, it's not Some Girls, it's The Rolling Stones in 2005, not 1969 or 1972. It's only an album, it's not like you paid $300 for the damn thing like one would for a show.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 14, 2010 20:24

I thought it was a great effort but the "filler" material really stinks it up--and badly. If they only made a leaner album--it'd be something I'd consider to be a top favorite.

Remove:
Rain Fall Down
Streets of Love
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place is Empty
Sweet Neocon

Add:
Under The Radar
We Don't Wanna Go Home

Sure, I could make a new mix and remove the songs I don't like--but the fact that they recorded and included them in the album is still dissapointing.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 20:27

To me all the rockers in this album sound the same...and they are not very good, Strets Of Love is really bad and Rain Fall Down sounds like a third-rate Hot Stuff...they didn't put that much of an effort it seems.

Date: September 14, 2010 20:29

That's funny. I've never really cared for We Don't Wanna Go Home. Under The Radar, as cool of a song as it is, doesn't sound finished. But the whole album has a stripped down quality to it.

For me, and this is how I have it on a play list, a severely edited version of the LP works much better:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand (ironic, innit?)
She Saw Me Coming
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 14, 2010 20:42

Nice move on the edited LP.

I enjoyed the production and the "home made" feel to the album---very much compatible with the Stones. Unfortunately, the sub-par songs really spoil it for me when I'm pressing "skip" as many times as I do.

Honestly, if they had not included those songs, ABB would've given me something to think about when naming my top 5 Stones albums...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 14, 2010 20:45

i gave it the ol' college try for a year or two. it just doesn't cut it. life's too short to waste trying to like something that's no good. i doubt i'll ever bother with it again.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 20:48

Nice album, perharps it's too long...There are 3-4 songs that are really bad:Infamy,dangerous beauty,sweet neocon and streets of love, but also 4-5 awesome songs:Rough justice,She saw me coming,it won't take long,Laugh I nearly died and Oh no,not you again my hands...A great album!

Date: September 14, 2010 21:05

I listened to A Bigger Bang while doing A LOT of driving after Katrina since everything was in doubt and I had no idea what I had to return to. The album came out right after the storm hit after I had done a lot of travelling just to get somewhere to be for a little while and find a new vehicle. I didn't get it for another month when I wound up in Alabama. I listened to it in my truck, exclusively, and played it A LOT when I was going between Louisiana and Alabama through all kinds of destruction and seeing boats in places they shouldn't be to get what I could of my life back together.

So it became a good driving record. So it's one of those albums for me. It has an unfortunate history within my life but it was one of the few things or moments or whatever one wants to call 'it' that cheered me up. That and finding Abita Amber in Fairhope, AL was about it. So maybe I have some kind of strange attachment to the album. I dunno. It helped me through it all.

And I still like it.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 21:11

none of the newer records i completely love. but from the new ones it´s btb, which is great first and than actually comes abb in my world.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 14, 2010 21:18

No, no. no , no , no and no a million times to the power of a zillion - it's dreadful, an abomination, awful, embarrassing. On the positive side though - No!

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 14, 2010 21:19

The generally negative view of ABB on this board has always mystified me. Of the records that the Stones made since 1989, it is the only one I truly enjoy. For me, it is a good record because it's actually about something. It's a break-up album and probably reflects Mick's break-up with Jerry Hall. Generally I can't think of songs more meaningless than Flip The Switch or You Got Me Rocking. At least ABB has a theme.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home