Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: 100 Years Ago: Unique Stones Song
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 29, 2010 00:51

straycatblues73
kleermaker
whitem8
More accurate to say it is glam, the melding of funk with rock, then add Jagger's glam outfits and makeup. Bamb! Glam rock.

Objection, Your Honour! I don't hear "Jagger's glam outfits and makeup" on 100 Years Ago. Nothing glam in it, neither in the lyrics nor in the music. I hear some different musical styles synthetically put together (rock, ballad, some funk' maybe) as well as conspicuous changes of mood, both in the lyrics and in the music. It's a nostalgic, somewhat melancholic and 'angry' ("I warn you!" ) song. No glam but real drama (paradise lost).
Romantic? Sustained!

wanna hear stones glam ? listen to parachute woman , glitter/glam with a distorted guitar following the lead melody a good five years before it became popular.

Haha! I've never thought of Parachute Woman that way, but it is kind of true! It's not too far fetched to compare the song to The Jean Genie (Bowie) or various Marc Bolan boogies, such as Get It On.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 29, 2010 05:46

The famous promo clip for "Jumpin Jack Flash" seems to pre-empt Glam rock by 2 or 3 years, with Brian Jones's face painted gold (check it out!) and everyone looking pretty in makeup. A few bands from around that time started doing things that way... Hard edged guitar songs delivered by dudes in L'Oreal... My understanding is that it started back in Detroit with The MC5 (ever seen a photo of Fred Sonic Smith dressed up as "Sonic Man"? Complete with superhero cape!), Iggy Pop covering himself in glitter, and Alice Cooper, etc.

Whenever I see Brian Jones in "Jumpin Jack Flash" I can see where Marc Bolan got his inspiration for the glam image he used later on. BTW Brian looks cooler than anybody ever in that clip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-29 06:01 by bolexman.

Posted by: psustoned ()
Date: June 29, 2010 09:09

The last few days I've had the lyric:

Call me lazy bones
Ain't got no time to waste away
Lazy bones ain't got no time to waste away

stuck in my head...while I've been working..haha

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 29, 2010 11:45

I always wondered about the fade out of the song on the album. Who decided to fade out
during this crazy wah wah solo? It seems to me Mick Taylor is just about reaching a higher
level at the moment someone turns the volume down.

BTW, I love the rehearsal version from Rotterdam too. Must be because I lived in the town at the time
(as a 6 year old, what the hell did I know about them Stones boys at the time).

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 29, 2010 12:47

We all know that the Stones changed after Exile slightly....became less roots sounding and slightly more pop. But I've been thinking lately that this is in part because of the fashion in the early 70s for funky wah-wah and clavinet sounds (check out Jeff Beck, Stevie Wonder, Ike & Tina Turner among others). 100 Years Ago and Criss Cross/Save Me both have plenty of these. I guess it was Mick T and Billy P that pushed them in this direction then, plus Mick has often said he wanted to move away from roots music. In hindsight perhaps they should have stuck the path, the big four might then have become the big six or seven.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-29 12:50 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 29, 2010 13:32

LieB

Haha! I've never thought of Parachute Woman that way, but it is kind of true! It's not too far fetched to compare the song to The Jean Genie (Bowie) or various Marc Bolan boogies, such as Get It On.

smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 29, 2010 14:25

WeLoveYou
We all know that the Stones changed after Exile slightly....became less roots sounding and slightly more pop. But I've been thinking lately that this is in part because of the fashion in the early 70s for funky wah-wah and clavinet sounds (check out Jeff Beck, Stevie Wonder, Ike & Tina Turner among others). 100 Years Ago and Criss Cross/Save Me both have plenty of these. I guess it was Mick T and Billy P that pushed them in this direction then, plus Mick has often said he wanted to move away from roots music. In hindsight perhaps they should have stuck the path, the big four might then have become the big six or seven.

Actually, I think Mick was following trends even when the Stones were rootsy around Banquet to Exile. Country and blues was very hip in those days, post-67, when bands like The Byrds, Burrito Brothers, Buffalo Springfield, The Band, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin and all the heavier blues-based rock bands were very influential. Look at how the Beatles moved toward a heavier group-based sound on their last records. This coincided with several other things for the Stones: Keith was at his peak as a guitar player and songwriter (before smack took over too much), the Jagger-Richards songwriting relationship was at its best, Mick Taylor was newly on board along with several of their best and most bluesy session men (Hopkins, Keys, etc.), and perhaps most importantly, the Stones own blues roots fitted perfectly with those current trends.

Then, as Keith (and some of the others in the Stones camp) drifted into drug haziness, leaving more room for the melodic Taylor and the pop writer Jagger, and musical trends shifted from heavy blues towards funk, prog, glam and soft rock, the musical evolution that took place within the Stones around -73 seems very natural.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 29, 2010 15:03

I found an interesting comment on this topic,on which I agree. Sorry if it has been posted before. :

"The no song writing credit was definitely part of the reason. Especially as he was writing more and more and was the one responsible for the Stones branching out from their usual blues-rock into more sophisticated work like Time Waits For No One, Winter, Can You Hear The Music etc. I mean did Richards ever write songs like that before or after Taylor was in the group? Hardly. Even a song like Sway which people assume is a standard Richards riff rocker - Richards had nothing to do with writing it and does not appear on any version of it. Jagger and Taylor wrote it and Jagger plays rhythm guitar. The Exiles and Goat's Head album are considered by most serious Stones fans to be primarily Jagger-Taylor albums, done while Richards was seriously incapacitated due to his heroin problem.
You also have to look at several other reasons for Mick's decision to leave the Stones.. Taylor was a young artist who wanted to improve as a player and sitting around not playing wasn't going to cut it. That was part of another reason -- he was a much better player than anybody else in the Stones - and playing three chord rock songs wasn't going to help him improve as an artist. Even while a member of the Stones he was jamming with Jack Bruce and they were talking about working together and which is what he eventually did when he quit the Stones. But Bruce basically used him for a tour to promote his own work and the idea of a real group creating new music together never happened.

Taylor hadn't been with the Stones when they 'made it' and thus never felt like a true member and never assumed he'd spend the rest of his career with the band. For those who saw the band during the tours of 72 and 73 or have heard bootleg copies of those concerts, it was obvious Taylor was playing at a level the rest of the band couldn't hope to achieve. And that had to be very boring for him. I don't think looking forward to 40 more years of playing Bitch, Brown Sugar and Midnight Rambler every time he stepped on a stage was a pleasant thought for him, From the vantage point of today, one could say he made a mistake, but I personally don't think he did. He's created some incredible music since he left the Stones while the Stones sank into a mediocrity that is truly depressing to those of us who were big fans of theirs from 64 to 74. People who see them now and rave about them have no idea what that band was capable of. The whole band should have hung it up when Wyman did. And in truth, the Stones as a band capable of making artistic statements and exciting cutting edge rock died the day Taylor left. Wood is a sorry substitute and Richards isn't close to the player he was before his heroin addiction problems. If you judge artistic success by money only, you could say he made a mistake, but it would mainly prove you don't know what is truly important to someone who has a true artists's temperament. The fact the Stones were willing to sink to what they became rather than give their best player the proper credit due to him, and haven't bothered to rectify that injustice in the 35 years since is an enormous blot on their legacy in my opinion."

Mike Cormany.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 29, 2010 16:45

LieB
WeLoveYou

Actually, I think Mick was following trends even when the Stones were rootsy around Banquet to Exile. Country and blues was very hip in those days, post-67, when bands like The Byrds, Burrito Brothers, Buffalo Springfield, The Band, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin and all the heavier blues-based rock bands were very influential. Look at how the Beatles moved toward a heavier group-based sound on their last records. This coincided with several other things for the Stones: Keith was at his peak as a guitar player and songwriter (before smack took over too much), the Jagger-Richards songwriting relationship was at its best, Mick Taylor was newly on board along with several of their best and most bluesy session men (Hopkins, Keys, etc.), and perhaps most importantly, the Stones own blues roots fitted perfectly with those current trends.

Then, as Keith (and some of the others in the Stones camp) drifted into drug haziness, leaving more room for the melodic Taylor and the pop writer Jagger, and musical trends shifted from heavy blues towards funk, prog, glam and soft rock, the musical evolution that took place within the Stones around -73 seems very natural.

I agree with what you say here. In 2010 we have the benefit of hindsight, but back in the early 1970s nobody knew where the music scene was going to go, or what was going to happen to the Stones. I believe Jagger worked very hard to keep the Stones on the radio and in the charts after Exile. Keith had become too incapacitated with the drugs. Jagger was wanting to keep his band at the top of the music game, and that meant following trends (or at least incorporating some) to a certain degree. And like you say Lie B, the Stones always did this anyway.

I think it is interesting to see how funk (and reggae after that) became a source of inspiration for the Stones, just as blues had been in the 60s. Jagger seems to have worked very hard to keep the Stones alive in the 70s but he rarely gets recognition for this... although, I remember reading an interview with Keith where he acknowledged Jagger "watched his back" during a heavy time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-29 16:52 by bolexman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 29, 2010 16:49

Amsterdamned
I found an interesting comment on this topic,on which I agree. Sorry if it has been posted before. :

"The no song writing credit was definitely part of the reason. Especially as he was writing more and more and was the one responsible for the Stones branching out from their usual blues-rock into more sophisticated work like Time Waits For No One, Winter, Can You Hear The Music etc. I mean did Richards ever write songs like that before or after Taylor was in the group? Hardly. Even a song like Sway which people assume is a standard Richards riff rocker - Richards had nothing to do with writing it and does not appear on any version of it. Jagger and Taylor wrote it and Jagger plays rhythm guitar. The Exiles and Goat's Head album are considered by most serious Stones fans to be primarily Jagger-Taylor albums, done while Richards was seriously incapacitated due to his heroin problem.
You also have to look at several other reasons for Mick's decision to leave the Stones.. Taylor was a young artist who wanted to improve as a player and sitting around not playing wasn't going to cut it. That was part of another reason -- he was a much better player than anybody else in the Stones - and playing three chord rock songs wasn't going to help him improve as an artist. Even while a member of the Stones he was jamming with Jack Bruce and they were talking about working together and which is what he eventually did when he quit the Stones. But Bruce basically used him for a tour to promote his own work and the idea of a real group creating new music together never happened.

Taylor hadn't been with the Stones when they 'made it' and thus never felt like a true member and never assumed he'd spend the rest of his career with the band. For those who saw the band during the tours of 72 and 73 or have heard bootleg copies of those concerts, it was obvious Taylor was playing at a level the rest of the band couldn't hope to achieve. And that had to be very boring for him. I don't think looking forward to 40 more years of playing Bitch, Brown Sugar and Midnight Rambler every time he stepped on a stage was a pleasant thought for him, From the vantage point of today, one could say he made a mistake, but I personally don't think he did. He's created some incredible music since he left the Stones while the Stones sank into a mediocrity that is truly depressing to those of us who were big fans of theirs from 64 to 74. People who see them now and rave about them have no idea what that band was capable of. The whole band should have hung it up when Wyman did. And in truth, the Stones as a band capable of making artistic statements and exciting cutting edge rock died the day Taylor left. Wood is a sorry substitute and Richards isn't close to the player he was before his heroin addiction problems. If you judge artistic success by money only, you could say he made a mistake, but it would mainly prove you don't know what is truly important to someone who has a true artists's temperament. The fact the Stones were willing to sink to what they became rather than give their best player the proper credit due to him, and haven't bothered to rectify that injustice in the 35 years since is an enormous blot on their legacy in my opinion."

Mike Cormany.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what do you find interesting in this load of BS?

C

Date: June 29, 2010 17:07

<"The no song writing credit was definitely part of the reason. Especially as he was writing more and more and was the one responsible for the Stones branching out from their usual blues-rock into more sophisticated work like Time Waits For No One, Winter, Can You Hear The Music etc. I mean did Richards ever write songs like that before or after Taylor was in the group? Hardly.>

Boy, people forget fast! Have anybody ever heard a song called Ruby Tuesday that Keith wrote by himself 8 years earlier? Was that song also "the usual blues-rock routine"? What about I Am Waiting, Have You Seen Your Mother, Paint It, Black etc..? Blues rock?

Imo, we should know by now that the Stones very early became masters of making a wide range of music without losing their unique sound.

As far as 100 Years Ago goes, it sounds like it's written as a simple, but effective folk music tune, but dressed in glam and funk (read modernized) - thanks to Taylor and Preston. A very easy song to write by Jagger's standards. Imo, it's a great, great song, which I've played a lot myself.

Date: June 29, 2010 17:33

liddas
Amsterdamned

Mike Cormany.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what do you find interesting in this load of BS?

C

His Exile story is a bit too much of the good.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 29, 2010 17:44

DandelionPowderman
<"The no song writing credit was definitely part of the reason. Especially as he was writing more and more and was the one responsible for the Stones branching out from their usual blues-rock into more sophisticated work like Time Waits For No One, Winter, Can You Hear The Music etc. I mean did Richards ever write songs like that before or after Taylor was in the group? Hardly.>

Boy, people forget fast! Have anybody ever heard a song called Ruby Tuesday that Keith wrote by himself 8 years earlier? Was that song also "the usual blues-rock routine"? What about I Am Waiting, Have You Seen Your Mother, Paint It, Black etc..? Blues rock?

Imo, we should know by now that the Stones very early became masters of making a wide range of music without losing their unique sound.

As far as 100 Years Ago goes, it sounds like it's written as a simple, but effective folk music tune, but dressed in glam and funk (read modernized) - thanks to Taylor and Preston. A very easy song to write by Jagger's standards. Imo, it's a great, great song, which I've played a lot myself.

Very true. The Keith myth started sometime around when he started using the open G tuning, and he propagated it himself as well as it being promoted by others. For some reason he decided to break with his old pop songwriting self, which I think is a shame, though we have seen flashes of it at times in songs like "Slipping Away".

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: June 29, 2010 17:47

DandelionPowderman

Ruby Tuesday was probably co-written with Brian Jones, unless we are to believe Keith came up with that recorder melody and piano on his own. Those other songs you list were heavily influenced by Brian, but as usual the Jagger/Richards rubberstamp won the day. Let's face it, Mick and Keith received an enormous amount of help from Brian and MT from 1963 to 1974.

Date: June 29, 2010 18:07

neptune
DandelionPowderman

Ruby Tuesday was probably co-written with Brian Jones, unless we are to believe Keith came up with that recorder melody and piano on his own. Those other songs you list were heavily influenced by Brian, but as usual the Jagger/Richards rubberstamp won the day. Let's face it, Mick and Keith received an enormous amount of help from Brian and MT from 1963 to 1974.

Where are your sources from, when you state that these songs are heavily influenced by Brian?

Btw, the recorder never plays the melody on Ruby Tuesday. You think Keith's own story when he claims he wrote the song on piano is false?

Spice and icing on the cake are very different than actually writing a rock/pop song, which we don't have proof that Brian ever did.

Date: June 29, 2010 18:09

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Very true. The Keith myth started sometime around when he started using the open G tuning, and he propagated it himself as well as it being promoted by others. For some reason he decided to break with his old pop songwriting self, which I think is a shame, though we have seen flashes of it at times in songs like "Slipping Away".

As well as Feel On Baby, Sleep Tonight, The Worst, How Can I Stop, Losing My Touch and This Place Is Empty - to name a few...

Date: June 29, 2010 19:13

neptune
DandelionPowderman

Yep.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 29, 2010 19:34

Amsterdamned
Let's face it, Mick and Keith received an enormous amount of help from Brian and MT from 1963 to 1974.

Of course, they were part of the band. Just as they got help from Ronnie after he joined. There is a difference between writing and arranging a song. You can write the chords and melody, but what the band does with it remains to be seen.

Date: June 29, 2010 19:35

DandelionPowderman
Where are your sources from, when you state that these songs are heavily influenced by Brian?

Btw, the recorder never plays the melody on Ruby Tuesday. You think Keith's own story when he claims he wrote the song on piano is false?

My sources are my ears when I hear the sitar on PIB, the dulcimer on I Am Waiting, the recorder on RT, etc. as evidence of Brian's influence on these songs. You can say Keith wrote Ruby Tuesday, but Brian's recorder and piano MAKE the song.

Date: June 29, 2010 19:39

Koen
Of course, they were part of the band. Just as they got help from Ronnie after he joined. There is a difference between writing and arranging a song.

Well, we know Keith had nothing to do with Sway and 100 Years Ago, but he's given songwriting credit for those. How do you explain that?

Date: June 29, 2010 19:42

neptune
Koen
Of course, they were part of the band. Just as they got help from Ronnie after he joined. There is a difference between writing and arranging a song.

Well, we know Keith had nothing to do with Sway and 100 Years Ago, but he's given songwriting credit for those. How do you explain that?

Say what you like ,your mission is doomed I'am afraid.winking smiley

Date: June 29, 2010 20:02

neptune
Koen

Keith is actually on Sway, singing. His "japanese thing"-riff became Moonlight Mile. 100 Years Ago I don't know the story of, except for Taylor himself saying it was a Jagger song written way back. It's interesting that he didn't mention his own songwriting contribution while he was at it, don't you think?

Neptune: That's what bandmates are for; MAKING the songs even better than the sketch they were presented by the writer. Of course Brian improved the songs I mentioned, but I strongly doubt he WROTE even a bar of them...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 29, 2010 21:29

Easy - same way Lennon and McCartney shared credits to the end with thier handshake to share. Look at the original songwriting credit to Give Peace a Chance. You really think Paul helped write it?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 29, 2010 21:44

neptune
Koen

Keith got credit for Sway just like Lennon got credit for "Yesterday" - they had a joint songwriting/publishing partnership, both names are on songs by either writer or both. In terms of recorders and sitars (as well as guitar solos for that matter): No matter how good a part is or what it "contributes" to the recording, it does not entitle one to songwriting (composing) credit. If someone were to record Ruby Tuesday with no recorder, it's still the same song, just a different arrangement. Arrangements and parts are completely different from composing, i.e. creating the song. Think of a recording and a song as two separate entities (which it is legally), the composition, which entitles the writers to publishing royalties, and the record, which is the artist's expression of the song (and entitles the artist (Stones in this case) to revenues from sale of the record). Both are owned and dealt with separately. A recorder or drum part is part of the record, not the song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-29 21:49 by 71Tele.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 29, 2010 22:33

If a thread reaches 4 pages of posts, no matter how distant the initial subject may have been, there is good chance that the discussion turned into a "Brian Jones / Mick Taylor were ripped off their writing credits" debate rather than a "Mick Taylor is god / Ron Wood shit" one.

Incredible.

C

Date: June 29, 2010 23:47

liddas
If a thread reaches 4 pages of posts, no matter how distant the initial subject may have been, there is good chance that the discussion turned into a "Brian Jones / Mick Taylor were ripped off their writing credits" debate rather than a "Mick Taylor is god / Ron Wood shit" one.

Incredible.

C

Yes ... this thread was very interesting for a while, but turned into the usual endless banter ... and I have nothing to add right now.

Date: June 30, 2010 01:55

LieB
liddas

Incredible.

C

Yes ... this thread was very interesting for a while, but turned into the usual endless banter ... and I have nothing to add right now.

Certain things seem to come up a lot, like the difference between songwriting and adding parts to a song. A lot of the feeling about Jones and Taylor not receiving proper credit is based in a misconception about these issue, I think...The original thread (about "100 year Ago") was more interesting, I agree.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 30, 2010 04:12

I started this thread. Please end it now. We are all bored. I still love the song.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: June 30, 2010 16:05

Before this ends, how about a quick nod to Charlie's drumming during the "you're gonna kiss these days goodbye" part? He rocks it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 30, 2010 16:20

neptune
Koen

Well, we don't know if Keith had anything to do with Sway and 100 Years, or do we? We assume it is a Jagger song, but we don't know that for sure. It could have been written by Keith, or by both, they could have rehearsed it endlessly with the entire band present, but all we know for sure is that for the basic track Keith wasn't present, and he did not feel the need to overdub guitar. 100 years sounds like a Jagger song, but he could have borrowed melodies from tunes written by Richards.

I mean, they have spent months and months writing songs together, so how can we be sure who wrote what, unless it is specifically mentioned in an interview?

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2179
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home