Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: 100 Years Ago: Unique Stones Song
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 16:04

I don't see anything progressive about 100 Years! More accurate to say it is glam, the melding of funk with rock, then add Jagger's glam outfits and makeup. Bamb! Glam rock. Great track with some very interesting bits, the segues, the hard funk, then mellow contemplative moments. Great and underrated track!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 26, 2010 16:48

whitem8
More accurate to say it is glam, the melding of funk with rock, then add Jagger's glam outfits and makeup. Bamb! Glam rock.

Objection, Your Honour! I don't hear "Jagger's glam outfits and makeup" on 100 Years Ago. Nothing glam in it, neither in the lyrics nor in the music. I hear some different musical styles synthetically put together (rock, ballad, some funk' maybe) as well as conspicuous changes of mood, both in the lyrics and in the music. It's a nostalgic, somewhat melancholic and 'angry' ("I warn you!" ) song. No glam but real drama (paradise lost).
Romantic? Sustained!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 26, 2010 17:38

His Majesty
skipstone
Prog Stones? That's probably the dumbest thing I've read this year.

eye rolling smiley

Better to take a look at your own postings before dishing out such a comment. It is dumb to view the term progressive in a narrow minded way.

100 Years Ago is progressive within the context of the music of The Rolling Stones.

I see. It's just that that term, prog rock, is such a professor-esque 'hey we're musical geniuses' kind of arrogant term. At least that's what it's come to mean to me. Which basically translates to BORING.

So that's why I disagree with 'Prog Stones'. But now that you've put it in the proper context...

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 20:01

kleermaker
whitem8
More accurate to say it is glam, the melding of funk with rock, then add Jagger's glam outfits and makeup. Bamb! Glam rock.

Objection, Your Honour! I don't hear "Jagger's glam outfits and makeup" on 100 Years Ago. Nothing glam in it, neither in the lyrics nor in the music. I hear some different musical styles synthetically put together (rock, ballad, some funk' maybe) as well as conspicuous changes of mood, both in the lyrics and in the music. It's a nostalgic, somewhat melancholic and 'angry' ("I warn you!" ) song. No glam but real drama (paradise lost).
Romantic? Sustained!

wanna hear stones glam ? listen to parachute woman , glitter/glam with a distorted guitar following the lead melody a good five years before it became popular.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2010 20:15

straycatblues73
kleermaker
whitem8

Romantic? Sustained!

wanna hear stones glam ? listen to parachute woman , glitter/glam with a distorted guitar following the lead melody a good five years before it became popular.

The entire Jones/ Taylor era was great.We love you,Ruby Tuesday,In another land(Perks!)Monkey man, she's like a rainbow...etc.
The entire Taylor era was great too. Too many songs to mention the '63-76 era.
Taylor peaks on a hundred years ago.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 21:04

whitem8
I don't see anything progressive about 100 Years!
as far as the stones go it's about as progressive thing they ever did. wish they would of experimented in that vein a little bit more

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 26, 2010 21:08

the vocal harmony that mick does on the line "Mary and I used to sit upon her gate," and the little trill in his vocal, is very beautiful, and not something he often did.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 26, 2010 23:57

Why do many people put down Keith's contribution to this song. He wrote the song. He also sings on it!

Date: June 27, 2010 00:43

flilflam
Why do many people put down Keith's contribution to this song. He wrote the song. He also sings on it!

Because Keith didn't actually contribute to it? I dunno, that might have something to do with it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 27, 2010 02:02

skipstone
flilflam

Because Keith didn't actually contribute to it?

you can't put down something that doesn't exist, can you? hmmm...getting a little too existential here perhaps....

Date: June 27, 2010 03:37

There´s nothing progressive or glammy about 100 years ago.
It´s just a great mid-tempo rocker.
Peter Gabriel and Marc Bolan are just second grade musicians, for example, thank you, please try to hear more music carefully.
Also feel the meaning of the word 'derivative'.
Try so much more to listen to so much more music of several eras and learn the real time when a kind of music groove really started to flow around.

Something that wasn´t talked about:
Jagger´s lyrics on this ione are really nostalgic and great music poetry.
Nothing more to say about Taylor and Preston greatness on this one than above said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-27 10:10 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Date: June 27, 2010 12:15

flilflam

[www.timeisonourside.com]

According to Taylor Jagger wrote it.

Date: June 27, 2010 16:26

Mathijs
His Majesty
skipstone
Prog Stones? That's probably the dumbest thing I've read this year.

eye rolling smiley

Better to take a look at your own postings before dishing out such a comment. It is dumb to view the term progressive in a narrow minded way.

100 Years Ago is progressive within the context of the music of The Rolling Stones.

Well, I guess I should have said progressive, not glam. Is Hunky Dory glam or prog? Ziggy Stardust? Diamond Dogs?

Mathijs

I'am sorry to say you have to brighten your horizon again.

Hundred years ago is a very good and flexible rock song with a bit funky Billy Preston , a great Taylor and Jagger, a great Charlie and Bill on bass I presume, The different tempos are clearly put after each other .The song has nothing to do with prog nor glam.

The Stones (Jagger) looked a little glam in '73,but than the entire concert...

Glam has to do with appearance like Bowy (you mentioned) or Alice Cooper.
Prog has to do with the music itself, integrating different styles,like jazz and uneven signatures and polyfonic singing at the same time.

Best prog bands where King Crimson,Uria Heep and Gentle Giant imo. I like the GG most, saw them live in'76 and their skills where amazing and sheer beauty.You don't like them I presume.winking smiley :

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 27, 2010 16:38

Three Friends! thumbs up

Date: June 27, 2010 16:44

His Majesty
Three Friends! thumbs up

Yes, that song comes straight from heaven,the Hammond gives me goose bumps.thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 27, 2010 17:01

Alway's have mixed emotion about this song, it has some great parts but I never liked the singing/jelling of Mick's voice over the Wah Wah guitar.. too messy in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-27 18:29 by NICOS.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 27, 2010 18:22

Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me.

Oh, it doesn't matter what they say in the papers
'Cause it's always been the same old scene.
There's a new band in town
But you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine...
Aimed at your average teen

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:46

For me this song reall captures what I love so much about Goats Head Soup. The mood, the changes, the meloncholy bleeding into angst! It also makes me wonder what a 70's Jagger solo LP would have been like.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 28, 2010 00:55

Amsterdamned

Best prog bands where King Crimson,Uria Heep and Gentle Giant imo. I like the GG most, saw them live in'76 and their skills where amazing and sheer beauty.You don't like them I presume.winking smiley :

To state you like this is to state you love reading James Joyce's Ulysses before bedtime.

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2010 01:04

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

To state you like this is to state you love reading James Joyce's Ulysses before bedtime.

Mathijs

Sometimes it's ugly to look in your own mirror. winking smiley

Date: June 28, 2010 01:09

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs

Well, that is a witty remark of you Mathijs. I do appreciate it. Go on in that way.

Date: June 28, 2010 01:13

It's the two Stooges again replying within a minute...

Mathijs

Date: June 28, 2010 01:19

Mathijs

Mathijs

Keep me out of it please,I got my own opinion,"professor".

Date: June 28, 2010 01:29

Mathijs

Mathijs

You were witty once, exceptionally. So go easy, don't exaggerate.
Besides, it were three Stooges.

Date: June 28, 2010 12:25

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

You were witty once, exceptionally. So go easy, don't exaggerate.
Besides, it were three Stooges.

There are quite a few stooges here.
Fortunately the world of music is bigger than the Rolling Stones.Some people's musical perception is very poor though. winking smiley

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:34

NICOS
Alway's have mixed emotion about this song, it has some great parts but I never liked the singing/jelling of Mick's voice over the Wah Wah guitar.. too messy in my opinion.

the jagger / taylor improvisations, i think this is exactly what jagger liked so much and why he was so miffed when MT left.

Date: June 28, 2010 18:09

My bright horizon reeks of oil and you want to talk about King Crimson?

Ha ha - StonesTod - how does one dig half a hole?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 28, 2010 18:12

skipstone

Ha ha - StonesTod - how does one dig half a hole?

is this a riddle? hmmm....with half a shovel?

Date: June 28, 2010 22:37

Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Now I know you've paid to see me!

Mathijs

Date: June 29, 2010 00:22

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Now I know you've paid to see me!

Mathijs

Only if it brings me tax refund.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home