Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 15
OT: 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 5, 2010 18:33

Opening ceremonies are just 7 days away on February 12.

Do you watch any events?

Are you a fan of skiing, skating, sledding, hockey, curling or snowboarding?

Will the Americans win the gold in hockey?

The big story out of Vancouver is no snow. So far...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 20:10 by bv.

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver
Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: February 5, 2010 18:35

The Sicilian
Opening ceremonies are just 7 days away on February 12.

Do you watch any events?

Are you a fan of skiing, skating, sledding, hockey, curling or snowboarding?

Will the Americans win the gold in hockey?

The big story out of Vancouver is no snow. So far...
Hockey and Ski-jumping for me,trouble with Vancouver its the mildest climate in Canada,I live in Ontario,drove thro British Colombia a couple of years ago,Man!!what stunning scenery.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 5, 2010 18:40

Go Lindsey go! [sports.yahoo.com]

Date: February 5, 2010 18:43

[Winter Olympics Medals History]

For a complete listing of medals by country for all events separately and cumulatively since 1924. Also official olympic site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 18:43 by The Sicilian.

Date: February 5, 2010 19:05

What country will you be cheering for?

I am USA all the way.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 5, 2010 19:11

The Sicilian

I am USA all the way.

You better see this thread and choose USA: [www.iorr.org]

You can add the following text: "Hurray, hurray, I back the USA, anyway!!!"

But I don't see any link to the Stones (a British band, Italian guy). It seems very Off Topic to me.

Date: February 5, 2010 19:21

kleermaker
But I don't see any link to the Stones (a British band, Italian guy). It seems very Off Topic to me.

When you have been around here longer than a month you'll understand how things work.

Re: OT: 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 5, 2010 20:15

All I know is our country and most of our business will close down almost completely while the winter olympics are on. The Norwegian people are winter sports crazy. We use to be in the top three nations of gold medals and medals and points in general during the winter olympics, because all there is to do in this cold arctic country up north is really to ski, ski ski.

Even myself, I just ski. 50-100 km every week. Just have to do it. I don't care about the Olympics, but when we start getting medals I am sure the business calls will vanish and we will all be stuck in front of the TV at work, like we do every four years.

Yes. I am looking forward to Vancouver 2010. Finally. Don't like sports but like mots people I love my country and I love it when we make medals...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 5, 2010 20:39

watch during the opening ceremony when the Greek flag is brought in and the greek national anthem is played during the raising of the Greek flag.very cool !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 5, 2010 20:44

Who said patiotism is the granddaddy of wars?
"Que le meilleur gagne" = may the best win and f#ck flags and national anthems >grinning smiley<

The Olympics are just one corporate-sponsored big dope show anyway : cortisone, creatin, synthetic EPO just ask Lance grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 20:47 by dcba.

Date: February 5, 2010 21:02

dcba
The Olympics are just one corporate-sponsored big dope show anyway : cortisone, creatin, synthetic EPO just ask Lance

Corporations don't compete in the events.

Lance is a champion and owns France. But I digress...

Date: February 5, 2010 21:09

We are born to compete. It is in our genes. Any business expert do know this. Just watch a two years old child. And on. It's all about winning. Who want to loose?

Bjornulf

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 21:17

We had the mildest January on record in the Vancouver area. Was pretty cold and snowing before Christmas but since then it's been mild/raining. Olympic torch comes through my hometown just outside of Vancouver this weekend.
Lots of road closures happening around the city and obviously huge increase in security. I think the reality is most Canadians only care about mens hockey and hopefully Canada is in the gold medal game.

Date: February 5, 2010 21:22

bv
We are born to compete. It is in our genes. Any business expert do know this. Just watch a two years old child. And on. It's all about winning. Who want to loose?

We're not evolved enough yet. But we're still in the process of evolution to more cooperation. We can do without competition, but we can't do without cooperation. Without that we're all doomed to gloom. Any historian does know this. Any child too.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 5, 2010 21:26

dcba
Who said patiotism is the granddaddy of wars?
"Que le meilleur gagne" = may the best win and f#ck flags and national anthems >grinning smiley<

The Olympics are just one corporate-sponsored big dope show anyway : cortisone, creatin, synthetic EPO just ask Lance grinning smiley
Tad bit bitter about Lance winning all those TDF are wegrinning smiley.....He's cleaner than you are.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 5, 2010 21:27

The Greek
watch during the opening ceremony when the Greek flag is brought in and the greek national anthem is played during the raising of the Greek flag.very cool !!!!!!!!!!

The chanches for the Greek to win many medals (even gold ones!) with speed skating seem surprisingly high this time!

Date: February 5, 2010 21:27

Everyone is competing. With their brother, sister, friend or collegue. Everybody want to be seen. Even at the pub. Darts. At football games. Crying out loud. At parties. Telling stories. With your partner. Listen to me. Attention. Respect. Talking, running, performing, reading, being smart. Anything. I can't see anyone who want to join in at the end of the queue, and just stay there. Just like being at the last row or the worst seat in a Stones show. Just don't make sense. We are built to survive... and to compete...

Bjornulf

Date: February 5, 2010 21:29

The Sicilian
kleermaker

When you have been around here longer than a month you'll understand how things work.

Explain, please. I'm not smart enough to discover that myself.

Date: February 5, 2010 21:35

If you don't care about the winter olympics then just move on to the next thread on IORR. This thread is marked OT so there is no point in making a big deal about it. Also it is Friday night and no need to make a big riot. Enjoy Vancouver! PS. I can't go unfortunately, but I love Vancouver. Because of Stones shows, final shows of the tours, 1994, 2006, and because of the Cannucks...

Bjornulf

Date: February 5, 2010 21:35

The Sicilian

I am USA all the way.

Cheering for a country seems rather foolish to me.

Date: February 5, 2010 21:42

bv
Everyone is competing. With their brother, sister, friend or collegue. Everybody want to be seen. Even at the pub. Darts. At football games. Crying out loud. At parties. Telling stories. With your partner. Listen to me. Attention. Respect. Talking, running, performing, reading, being smart. Anything. I can't see anyone who want to join in at the end of the queue, and just stay there. Just like being at the last row or the worst seat in a Stones show. Just don't make sense. We are built to survive... and to compete...

I respect your opinion on this issue, but don't present it as a fact.
I can tell you that in order to survive we need cooperation and can do without competition, but not the other way around.

Date: February 5, 2010 22:06

kleermaker
I can tell you that in order to survive we need cooperation and can do without competition, but not the other way around.

I am just a single person among five billion or so on earth. It's just a personal opinion. Please do not expect me to add a quote under everythink I post saying: "This is my personal opinion and not facts deefined by thousands of research reports".

A lot of the olympics competitions are about corporation. Team effort. Hockey games, curling, 4 x 10 km ski and so on. Even ski jumping is team effort. Everybody knows it. I think we are made to compete, and to be social of course. It is possible to do two things at the same time. But if there is only space for one single person in the boat and you are two people then just one will be showing up eventually. Call it sad fact or call it survival of the fittest...

Legal and public notice: This is my personal opinion and not a public fact of course.

Bjornulf

Date: February 5, 2010 22:14

Okay, bv, that's clear. The last sentence of my former post you quoted is, btw, not my opinion but a fact.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 6, 2010 03:34

Canada is looking for a gold medal. Any gold medal, We are the only country ever to host an Olympics (twice, in fact) and never win one. I'll be following the speed skating, if only to see what Steven Colbert and the US team will do to try to psych out the competition. Also interested in a skier from Ghana who is their first Winter Olympic athlete ever - he stands to capture attention the way many underdogs did, such as Eddie the Eagle in Ski Jump and the Jamaican Bobsled team. Hopefully politics won't overshadow the event - the organizing committee is coming in for a lot of local criticism and the cost overruns look massive, so there is a local group promising as much civil disruption as possible. If they can find a parking space. Vancouver is a great city, and the drive to Whistler is as beautiful as it gets. Still, I'd rather be there for the Stones!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 6, 2010 03:46

Every Canadian, myself included, knows that the US will not win the gold in hockey.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 6, 2010 03:48

bv

I´m from Sweden and I work with people from all the nordic countries and I think that the Norwegians are just a little bit too patriotic. There´s something not entirely healthy about the way you behave when it comes to competition. Am I wrong?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 6, 2010 04:15

It's OH TEN!

As in...'010!

Get it right!

HA HA HA HA!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 6, 2010 04:22

I like the Downhill.

Whatever happened to Franz Klammer? I know it's been a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-06 04:57 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 6, 2010 04:23

Go Shawn White.... me, snowboarding 15 years and will be glued to the TV every night

Date: February 6, 2010 04:42

kleermaker
bv
Everyone is competing. We are built to survive... and to compete...

BV is correct on that and yes it is a fact. From animals of Africa to humans all over the world. Your statement is pure hypothetical unsubstantiated opinion.

Ask the person standing in line at a job fair with his resume if they are in competition with hundreds or even thousands of other applicants for a select few openings. Good competition breeds integrity and character.

Cooperation fosters the status quo. Ask Neville Chamberlain what cooperation accomplished. "Peace in our time". Yeah, right on brother.

Anyways this is an olympic thread which means we all show our colors and pride.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home