Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Suspicious of bass on Exile bonus tracks
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 21, 2010 14:27

Gangster-of-love
As far as I remember Mick said in an interview, that bass and drums on the bonus tracks are untouched.
So here we have 2 possible explications for the sound:

1. Don Was played the bass
2. During the original sessions anyone else played the bass part who isn't credited

A guy named Bill Plummer played on at least one track ,didn't he ?smoking smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 21, 2010 14:35

On first listen I thought it was Charlie on Following the river.

But after some more spins I doubt it too! Not 100% sure but some little things just sound different.
That's strange because they've said that the drums (and bass) were all fine and ready on the tapes.

Well, Don Was mentioned that he was tempted to play some bass (on Dancing in the light as he said) when alone at home because nobody would ever know it . .

But he also said that he would never really do that . .

And the "new" Exile credits have been done so odd and badly arranged that everything might be possible.

But after all if it wasn't for Mick J. there would have been no new Exile with bonus stuff that we all asked for so often.
So lets not be too critical.

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: June 21, 2010 14:46

The original Rolling Stone report from March or so said that "Following The River" was the only song to receive new lyrics/vocals, but they didn't quote Jagger directly on that...to my knowledge, he's never been quoted as saying that. He HAS been quoted as saying the original bass & drums "were all there" and needed no new overdubs at all. He also said "Plundered My Soul", as a backing track, was "perfect" and required no editing (just overdubs...he admitted that neither he nor Mick T. were on the track, the only guitar on it was Keith's, so the two Micks overdubbed new parts on it). For "I'm Not Signifying", Mick said the only new overdub was his harmonica, and the vocal was vintage. Don Was goes out of his way in recent "Exile" interviews to praise the bass playing of Wyman on the "new" songs, calling him a "genius" and marveling at the parts he came up with, so if they ARE in fact new Was parts, he's a very shrewrd con man. Keith has said he only added some acoustic "here and there" (interestingly, he said he couldn't remember which song or songs, which speaks volumes of his involvement level in this project), but his rather loose solo on "Aladdin/So Divine" must be new, and the really clean electric lead toward the end of "Sophia/Pass The Wine" also sounds like a new addition to me, based on the tone and playing style. If any of these cuts ARE completely new, they were very careful to ensure that vintage tape hiss was added at audible levels to fool us all.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 21, 2010 15:09

when you guys are complaining that the bass on the new tracks doesn't sound like Bill - you mean Bill Plummer - right??

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 21, 2010 15:34

Yes we're fooled, whatever you think of the bonus tracks. Those are two different things.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 21, 2010 17:53

If Don Was did indeed overdub bass and said it's Wyman he'd be very sloppy to say such a thing because Bill's memory seems to be very sharp and it would be very embarrassing for Was and Jagger if that is the case and would undermine the credibility of the integrity of 'unearthing' such tunes.

It makes more sense for Was to record with the Stones on new tracks, like he did with I'm Gonna Drive or whatever during the Voodoo sessions, not something that is from 1971.

That's just wrong.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 21, 2010 17:58

billwebster
I remember that in the original sessions, bass was played by whomever was around at the time of recording (Wyman, Richards, Taylor, Plummer).

I think the Plummer stuff was overdubbed when they mixed and recorded in L.A.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 21, 2010 18:12

skipstone
If Don Was did indeed overdub bass and said it's Wyman he'd be very sloppy to say such a thing because Bill's memory seems to be very sharp and it would be very embarrassing for Was and Jagger if that is the case and would undermine the credibility of the integrity of 'unearthing' such tunes.

It makes more sense for Was to record with the Stones on new tracks, like he did with I'm Gonna Drive or whatever during the Voodoo sessions, not something that is from 1971.

That's just wrong.

Again, I am going strictly on sound. Doesn't sound like Bill's tone or playing style (especially if it's supposed to be Bill circa 1971) on a few of these songs. Compare bass on these songs with, say, bass on Ventilator Blues or anything else he plays on from the original album.

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: June 21, 2010 18:15

maybe we can collect ALL the overdubs done for the bonustracks. (or is it written down in another thread?)
let´s start:

sophia loren/pass the wine

mick: harmonica, vocals, percussion
keith: lead guitar in the end of the song
...the brass - new or old?

plundered my soul
mick: vocals, acustic guitar
mick t. lead guitar

i ain´t signifying
mick: harmonica

following the river
mick: vocals, ?acustic guitar?
keith: ?acustic guitar?
...female vox new...
...charlie on drums or maybe jimmy miller?

dancing in the light
mick: vocals, guitar

so divine
mick: vocals (verses only??)
keith: guitar solo

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: June 21, 2010 18:35

Thanks CMan.

There was an later interview Mick did with a Chicago paper that was online where he certainly expanded his list of what overdubs were done.

I'm sure the threads when the first RS article appeared have all the quotes. I was going to gather them all up for comparison purposes, but have never got around to it. Maybe I'll do it this week -- seems like the topic is not dying out!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 21, 2010 18:44

FoolToCry
maybe we can collect ALL the overdubs done for the bonustracks. (or is it written down in another thread?)
let´s start:

sophia loren/pass the wine

mick: harmonica, vocals, percussion
keith: lead guitar in the end of the song
...the brass - new or old?

plundered my soul
mick: vocals, acustic guitar
mick t. lead guitar

i ain´t signifying
mick: harmonica

following the river
mick: vocals, ?acustic guitar?
keith: ?acustic guitar?
...female vox new...
...charlie on drums or maybe jimmy miller?

dancing in the light
mick: vocals, guitar

so divine
mick: vocals (verses only??)
keith: guitar solo

"Following The River" - original track + instrumental overdubs + new vocals ??

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: June 21, 2010 18:50

Drums on Following the River sounds more like Jimmy Miller to me.
We don't know how finished/unfinished most of the songs were, so anything's possible. Don't think any recorded tracks are deleted. More a question if the different instruments were recorded in the first place, so therefore had to be added before release.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 21, 2010 21:03

First post from me here in eons. My two cents.

There is definitely a lot of very ODD things going on with these tracks, particularly Following The River.

As for bass tone, people who are saying "this doesn't SOUND like Bill's bass in 1972," one thing I would point out is that they can do MIRACLES with EQ and compression etc. on a solo bass track these days. So what you need to listen for to judge more is, the PLAYER, the licks, the style, feel, etc. Who knows. But the SOUND of the bass is not going to sound exactly like 1972 anymore, if they are mixing in 2010 from the original multi-track tapes.

At first listen to Finding The River, I was like, "Ahh, Charlie" but then the more I listen, the more I kind of lean towards the possibility of maybe Jimmy Miller question mark. A couple of the fills are just not very Charlie-esque. Isn't Jimmy Miller also playing drums on "Shine A Light" which is kinda similar in feel? That straight backbeat thing...the chorus of both songs have that on their drum parts. One has to wonder, if they opened up the original tape box from 1972 for this song/session, and it said "Jimmy M on drums" scrawled on it, no doubt that would open up a Pandora's Box of grieving widows and heirs demanding payment if the Stones acknowledged it was him.

BUT -- one OTHER thought that does occur to me...Keep in mind, in its original form, this song would have been a very plodding, very slow, very basic jam of a song idea without all these dramatic layers of stuff piled on top of it. Nicky Hopkins was doing most of the actual PLAYING on the basic track, Keith is sort of a non-factor. With no vocal, no lead instruments, not much Keith, and no idea where the song was headed, if it WAS Charlie playing drums, they really didn't give him very much to work with here. And for argument's sake, let's toss in, it was probably late at night/early in the morning

And it's easy to imagine that, probably some of the folks in the room could have sensed, hey, this track really isn't very good, and isn't going anywhere....Let It Loose is also slow and plodding, but Charlie is WAY more into it, way more involved, playing-wise. Probably because that was already A SONG with vocals, when they recorded it, instead of these aimless "Keith has a vague idea he wants to try" instrumentals like they did in the '70s.

So I'm wondering, if Charlie doesn't sound all that hot on Finding The River, maybe it's because he knew the SONG wasn't all that hot? And was kind of zoning out? Not really into it? When I listen to it like THAT, I think it actually does sound like Charlie, again -- albeit a very BORED Charlie who senses the song is not really happening, and just wants to get the thing DONE so they can knock off for the night. Playing deliberately NOT to make a mistake, he's not "reaching" for his fills or being dramatic, just tapping the hi hat keeping time, etc. etc. Because he knew the song was probably a lame duck? You gotta wonder.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-21 21:06 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 21, 2010 22:25

Turning To Gold
One has to wonder, if they opened up the original tape box from 1972 for this song/session, and it said "Jimmy M on drums" scrawled on it, no doubt that would open up a Pandora's Box of grieving widows and heirs demanding payment if the Stones acknowledged it was him.

is this true, that if someone like Jimmy Miller played on the original track, he or in this case his estate would be due royalties? I would have thought that this would be a session-player case, that they were only due whatever they were paid, if anything, at the time of the session. I don't think Clydie King gets royalties from Exile, for example. Anyway, Miller at least continues to earn royalties for his estate as the producer of the album.

I totally agree on the point about how contemporary mixing techniques might make an old "signature" sound unrecognizable, even if this wasn't Was's plan.

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: June 22, 2010 03:10

cc
Turning To Gold
One has to wonder, if they opened up the original tape box from 1972 for this song/session, and it said "Jimmy M on drums" scrawled on it, no doubt that would open up a Pandora's Box of grieving widows and heirs demanding payment if the Stones acknowledged it was him.

is this true, that if someone like Jimmy Miller played on the original track, he or in this case his estate would be due royalties? I would have thought that this would be a session-player case, that they were only due whatever they were paid, if anything, at the time of the session. I don't think Clydie King gets royalties from Exile, for example. Anyway, Miller at least continues to earn royalties for his estate as the producer of the album.

I totally agree on the point about how contemporary mixing techniques might make an old "signature" sound unrecognizable, even if this wasn't Was's plan.

I'm not so sure that'd be an issue...'cause Miller's already credited with percussion on some of the new tracks, and of course production. His heirs probably get a producer's royalty, or fee, and maybe session fees for the percussion. Why would drums be any different?

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 22, 2010 04:53

The drums on Plunder My Soul verses sound like a digitally sampled loop to my ears. I would bet money that Charlie is not the drummer.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 22, 2010 06:55

Some journalist needs to ask Mr.Wyman what he thinks about the bass. With his memory and detail, I would think he would have the answer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2010 12:07

punkfloyd
The drums on Plunder My Soul verses sound like a digitally sampled loop to my ears. I would bet money that Charlie is not the drummer.

If it is not Charlie,it's a very good copy..
I think it's Charlie,loop or not..

Date: June 22, 2010 13:23

Sounds like classic Charlie on PMS to me.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 22, 2010 15:57

69boogie
71Tele
I have listened to the "new" Exile tracks a number of times now, and have noticed that the bass on the more "Jaggerized" songs like "Following The River" sounds much different in tone and even style than Bill's playing. Don Was is a bass player. Could they? Would they? It's not like they haven't wiped Bill before, as on some of the original Exile tracks. I've been listening to Bill for forty years, and this just sounds - different. Maybe some magic was worked with eq, and it was brought up more in the mix, but I am starting to wonder.

For the love of god, get over it already. What does it really matter, since the Stones are pretty much done for at this point. Just how much can you pick one album apart. It won't belong before you guys will be discussing how the disc labels were printed, and did they dare possibly use this kind of cheap ink instead of the much better other kind.

Give it a rest.

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:10

71Tele
crumbling_mice
I stated at the time of release that I didnt think any of these bonus tracks came from the exile era...and some sound positively recent in sound quality. We have, as they say in the smok, been mugged off!

"Soul Survivor", "Good Time Women", "Loving Cup" and "Title 5" are all from the Exile era or before. The only one that I think successfully a marries a real Exile outtake to the modern overdubs is PMS.

There's no doubt in my mind that Title 5 is from the Between the Buttons sessions. The sound is that of a Vox Conqueror, Charlie's drumming in his typical early 60's way.

Concerning the slide guitar on most tracks -it's obvious which slide is done by Taylor (on Signifying for example), and to my ears all other slide guitars are done by Jagger.

Drums on FTR could be Miller, there are certain simularities to his style and sound.

Concerning the editing of Plundered: I guess that the original track was 20 minutes of Keith, Watts and Wyman, and they edited it down and only used the good bits.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:17

Mathijs
There's no doubt in my mind that Title 5 is from the Between the Buttons sessions. The sound is that of a Vox Conqueror, Charlie's drumming in his typical early 60's way.

Mathijs

They are shown using Vox UL-760's during Between the Buttons sessions. Probably used Fender amps for the RCA sessions.

They started using the all solid state amps circa April 1967, the European tour being the first time they are shown using them. So Title 5 is most likely a Satanic Majesties era outtake.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:52

Title 5 was to be the B-side to What To Do from Aftermath. Come on fellas, don't you know that?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2010 17:15

skipstone
Title 5 was to be the B-side to What To Do from Aftermath. Come on fellas, don't you know that?

grinning smiley

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: June 22, 2010 17:18

69boogie
For the love of god, get over it already. ... Give it a rest.

Is anyone out there being forced to read various comments and threads? Am I one of the lucky ones that does not have a gun to his head?

I check out the threads that interest me and I ignore the others. It's worked out pretty well. (This method also works with books, movies, blogs, other bands, various hobbies, choice of friends, etc.) Not everyone enjoys the same things ...

Date: June 22, 2010 17:31

redsock
69boogie

Is anyone out there being forced to read various comments and threads? Am I one of the lucky ones that does not have a gun to his head?

I check out the threads that interest me and I ignore the others. It's worked out pretty well. (This method also works with books, movies, blogs, other bands, various hobbies, choice of friends, etc.) Not everyone enjoys the same things ...

69Boogie has a problem with my posts, for some reason. Indeed, he's the one who should get over it.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:20

One of the most interesting posts since a long time.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:37

71Tele
redsock
69boogie

69Boogie has a problem with my posts, for some reason. Indeed, he's the one who should get over it.

well, he's clearly a troll, so you can just ignore him--but what to do about someone like Father Ted, who appears to have taken him seriously? Poor sap...

Date: June 22, 2010 19:06

cc
71Tele
redsock
69boogie

well, he's clearly a troll, so you can just ignore him--but what to do about someone like Father Ted, who appears to have taken him seriously? Poor sap...

Don't know about Father Ted. I would say to both of them that I was somehow under the impression that this was a place where we discuss the music of the Rolling Stones. Sorry to have offended either of their sensibilities.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home