Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anyone have this pic yet ?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 16, 2010 03:33

NOVEMBER 27, 2009

Rolling Stones in Baltimore -- 40 years later
This week in 1969, the Rolling Stones performed a sold-out show at the Baltimore Civic Center (now called the 1st Mariner Arena).

Now, 40 years later, here is The Baltimore Sun's recount of the show. There were fistfights and at least one karate chop to the throat, but somehow, no one was arrested. Oh, and the Stones played.

Rolling Stones Rock Civic Center

The shrieks of thousands of young females filled the Civic Center last night as the Rolling Stones, the English rock group, brought their brand of the electric apocalypse to Baltimore.

Mick Jagger, the head Rolling Stone, pranced out on the stage dressed in a red scarf, silver collar and a black costume amid the hysterical roar of the 13,000 persons who filled the Center to capacity ...

Crowd Mostly Orderly

Thousands more had been turned away in what was the Stones' first appearance in Baltimore in two years.

The crowd of youngsters was, for the most part, orderly, although one teen-aged miss leaped into the orchestra pit and nearly climbed up onto the stage before two burly guards carried her bodily to the sidelines.

Meanwhile, Jagger gyrated and leapt across the stage as he sang in an electric atmosphere of light and sound.

His four companions with electric guitars and a set of drums stood expressionless -- or benumbed -- by the giant sound which issued from a series of 9-foot-high speakers.

Swayed With Music

And in the final moments of a thunderous encore, several hundred kids climbed on their seats and began to sway in time with the music.

The Stones' act was preceded by B.B. King, who led a well-received funky blues group, and Terry Reid, who performed with another English group which was also well received.

During the B.B. King recital, a wild fistfight broke out between Civic Center guards and four youths whom they attempted to question in the mezzanine.

At one point, a youth who attempted to interfere was held over a ramp railing by a guard who karate-chopped him in the throat.

Councilman Robert C. Marshall (D., 4th) whose detective service works at the Civic Center, said that there were no arrests, but could not explain the incident.

No Arrests Made

About 30 youths had gathered around the struggling guard, screaming "Pig, pig, oink oink." One of the four youths, who had been sprayed with mace and clubbed over the head, managed to escape briefly, but was brought back into custody bleeding profusely from the mouth.

Captain Anton Glover of the Eastern district police said he thought the youths had been disorderly. He said no arrests were made, however.

(AP photo of the Rolling Stones in 1969. Also, special thanks to Sun archivist Paul McCardell for digging up the clip.)

[weblogs.baltimoresun.com]

Re: Anyone have this pic yet ?
Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: June 16, 2010 03:43

yes

Date: June 16, 2010 03:48

copsnrobbers
yes

Aw, damn, and I thought I found something new!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 16, 2010 11:13

THe pic comes from rehearsals at Lyceum Theatre 21/12/69......Rockman posted it on IORR a few months ago

Date: June 16, 2010 12:26

Erik_Snow
THe pic comes from rehearsals at Lyceum Theatre 21/12/69......Rockman posted it on IORR a few months ago

Thanks for clearing that up.
Somehow, I didn't think that some newspaper photographer from Baltimore took that shot.

Date: June 16, 2010 12:36

I thought they didn't have the Hi-Watts in the US confused smiley You're sure it's not a promo pic taken before the US tour?

Date: June 16, 2010 12:47

DandelionPowderman
I thought they didn't have the Hi-Watts in the US confused smiley You're sure it's not a promo pic taken before the US tour?

Lyceum Theatre is in London - they did 4 London shows in December that year

Date: June 16, 2010 12:52

Edith Grove
Somehow, I didn't think that some newspaper photographer from Baltimore took that shot.

I must say the article you posted was very.....strickt; is that the proper word...? Very formal and objective. Like a description of what's happening in a battle in world war I.....in a desert on the other side of the world. Don't think the journalist *let himself go* during the concert

Date: June 16, 2010 13:15

Erik_Snow
Edith Grove

I must say the article you posted was very.....strickt; is that the proper word...? Very formal and objective. Like a description of what's happening in a battle in world war I.....in a desert on the other side of the world. Don't think the journalist *let himself go* during the concert

Yeah, it seems the reporter was "strictly" there for observing the surroundings about the show, not the show itself. Objective for sure.

Something I find interesting about the article (not Stones-related) is that a Baltimore city councilman provided the "detective service" at the venue.
No ethics violation there? eye rolling smiley

Date: June 16, 2010 13:33

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Lyceum Theatre is in London - they did 4 London shows in December that year

Ah, of course. My bad. I completely forgot that smiling smiley

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: June 16, 2010 13:45

Mick must have been expecting high water at the Lyceum!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 16, 2010 14:00

Sacke
Mick must have been expecting high water at the Lyceum!

Yeah, but he did not warned the other Stones.............. ;-)

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 16, 2010 14:35

...or this:

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 16, 2010 14:45

hey Edith.....congrats on hitting the 7000 posts mark.

i had not seen this pic..thanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 16, 2010 16:00

[www.iorr.org]
winking smiley

misterfrias
It sure does, SwayStones, but someone posted an identical thread a few days ago:

[www.iorr.org]

winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 16, 2010 16:49

Yep

Date: June 16, 2010 17:30

SwayStones
[www.iorr.org]
winking smiley

misterfrias
It sure does, SwayStones, but someone posted an identical thread a few days ago:

[www.iorr.org]

winking smiley

Uh, sorry Ms. Stones! confused smiley

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 16, 2010 17:49

I wish we could get the audio for that!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 16, 2010 23:51

SwayStones
[www.iorr.org]
winking smiley

misterfrias

[www.iorr.org]

winking smiley

You still holding that against me, Sway? winking smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 17, 2010 00:31

i never seen that one thank you. it's great. if just for a sec u forget those beautiful iconic faces it looks like any other north jersey rockin' bar band at the time. i love this. it's a REAL band man. this is such an exciting beautiful pic. !

Posted by: curt ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:21

Have had an 8 x 10 of this one for about the last 22 years.
On really good photographic stock at that...

Posted by: crackedglauzer ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:28

Thanks for posting! I saw it once on the cover of a dvd and I was looking for it.
Really great pic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-17 07:31 by crackedglauzer.

Posted by: crackedglauzer ()
Date: June 17, 2010 08:06

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: June 17, 2010 08:20

You can get the photo of the band in the first post from Pictopia.com. That's where I got mine along with one from The Marquee Club in '71.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 17, 2010 08:23

As Pete Townshend wrote, "The place is really jumping to the Hiwatt amps..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2010 00:50

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peter ()
Date: June 18, 2010 07:14

I was at this Baltimore show....and it SMOKED !!! peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home