Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Mick TAYLOR with the STONES in 1981
Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: October 2, 2016 22:13

HMS
"Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance. Ronnie Wood was not happy with Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos."

Don't worry about it HMS. Ron couldn't possibly know how they used to sound with Taylor on stage, back in the early 7-tees.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 3, 2016 02:54

DonParker
HMS
"Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance. Ronnie Wood was not happy with Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos."

Don't worry about it HMS. Ron couldn't possibly know how they used to sound with Taylor on stage, back in the early 7-tees.

Actually, I bet Ron was very aware of how the Stones sounded with Taylor. When he first played with them in 1975, he clearly tried to duplicate some of the licks Taylor was known for on certain songs.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2016 03:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
DonParker
HMS

Actually, I bet Ron was very aware of how the Stones sounded with Taylor. When he first played with them in 1975, he clearly tried to duplicate some of the licks Taylor was known for on certain songs.

Ronnie was admittedly hammered on booze and tons coke during this entire period (c.1981)- there's an old interview somewhere where he claims to have spent apprx. $1,000/day getting high on freebase.
In 1975 he may have been trying to duplicate some of Taylor's licks, but all the recorded evidence suggests he came nowhere near succeeding.
By the time the '81 blur and haze of non-stop partying sessions were in full throttle, any attempt to remember or emulate Taylor's spirited guitar playing was a thing of the past.
Glad Ronnie was able to recover from that dark period...

Date: October 3, 2016 08:31

By 81 they mostly played new material or other covers. That's why it was interesting having Taylor on board for this show, imo.

Date: October 3, 2016 11:34

Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash
DonParker
HMS

Ronnie was admittedly hammered on booze and tons coke during this entire period (c.1981)- there's an old interview somewhere where he claims to have spent apprx. $1,000/day getting high on freebase.
In 1975 he may have been trying to duplicate some of Taylor's licks, but all the recorded evidence suggests he came nowhere near succeeding.
By the time the '81 blur and haze of non-stop partying sessions were in full throttle, any attempt to remember or emulate Taylor's spirited guitar playing was a thing of the past.

It amazes me that Ronnie often played very well in 1981, given what he was doing to his brain at the time. As mentioned in another thread, he did some of his best guitar work here, on many songs like BL, Neighbours, LIB, JMI, BOB and others. As for 1975, I didn't feel like he was trying to copy Mick Taylor but you could hear him restate certain of Taylor's melodic themes at times, but in his won ragged Woody-style.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: October 3, 2016 13:32

DandelionPowderman
By 81 they mostly played new material or other covers. That's why it was interesting having Taylor on board for this show, imo.

My point exactly DP, nothing more, nothing less, and of course the usual iorr fun. smiling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 3, 2016 13:59

tjkrol
Monsoon Ragoon, thanks for the info. Disc 3 & 4 are misdated then? It states December 15, 1981. Right?

CD 3&4 on OMS/EVSD are the 15th December, without Mick Taylor. But he is also not really hearable on the soundboards of the 14th IMHO.

Date: October 3, 2016 14:11

Monsoon Ragoon
tjkrol
Monsoon Ragoon, thanks for the info. Disc 3 & 4 are misdated then? It states December 15, 1981. Right?

CD 3&4 on OMS/EVSD are the 15th December, without Mick Taylor. But he is also not really hearable on the soundboards of the 14th IMHO.

Scroll back a few pages in this thread for a compilation of his playing where he is audible indeed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2016 20:01

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash
DonParker
HMS

It amazes me that Ronnie often played very well in 1981, given what he was doing to his brain at the time. As mentioned in another thread, he did some of his best guitar work here, on many songs like BL, Neighbours, LIB, JMI, BOB and others. As for 1975, I didn't feel like he was trying to copy Mick Taylor but you could hear him restate certain of Taylor's melodic themes at times, but in his won ragged Woody-style.

Sorry if I misundertsood, but you first said you thought Ronnie in 1975 "clearly tried to duplicate some of the licks Taylor was known for" which in my mind is the same as trying to copy.
But yes, for the 1981 tour Ronnie was playing well considering all he was going through.

Date: October 3, 2016 20:21

Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash
Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash
DonParker
HMS

Sorry if I misundertsood, but you first said you thought Ronnie in 1975 "clearly tried to duplicate some of the licks Taylor was known for" which in my mind is the same as trying to copy.
But yes, for the 1981 tour Ronnie was playing well considering all he was going through.

Guess I sort of contradicted myself there, lol. I guess I'm just saying that in 1975, Ronnie was clearly repeating some melodic lines that I've heard Taylor play on certain songs in 72-73. But he didn't seem to be totally trying to mimic Taylor in terms of tone, technique etc....

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 3, 2016 22:11

In 75 Ronnie was on tour with the Stones, but do not think he had much time for rehearsal, he was still with the Faces and if I'm not mistaken it was just finished the tour Faces.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 3, 2016 22:54

kleermaker
behroez
D. But most important is the fact that Taylor's guitar is hardly audible on the bootlegs of that show. Wood must have had great problems with Taylor's presence: really threatening for him.

He did have a problem with Taylor's presence in 2013 so why would he have in 1981?

I have never played an instrument in my life and maybe that is part of the reason, but I don't know how you guys can listen to the Stones and decide who is doing what on the guitar. I mean there are times when Taylor played with them when I can tell but other then that I could never tell the difference between Richards and Wood or even sometimes between Richards and Taylor.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 3, 2016 23:17

Me too. Plus I cannot tell Bill Wyman apart from Darryl Jones.

Let any drummer do Charlies´ job, I wouldn´t hear any differencesmoking smiley

Btw, it´s astonishing people can tell the difference between Richards/Wood, even Richards/Wood cannot most of the times according to Richardssmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 3, 2016 23:26

It's astonishing though. All this fuzz about a guitarist who left the band more than 40 years ago. It's almost like a cult. Maybe Taylor was the second Christ? Who knows?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 3, 2016 23:47

Stoneage
It's astonishing though. All this fuzz about a guitarist who left the band more than 40 years ago. It's almost like a cult. Maybe Taylor was the second Christ? Who knows?

He gave up his career and stardom for somebody else´s sins, not minesmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 3, 2016 23:56

Stoneage

I'm listening to this show and can't grasp why Taylor is so highly regarded. He clearly interrupts Ronnie's solo on Beast Of Burden, and he also plays a lick in the wrong key during the first verse of Let It Bleed. Not very charming if you ask me.

Date: October 3, 2016 23:58

<I have never played an instrument in my life and maybe that is part of the reason, but I don't know how you guys can listen to the Stones and decide who is doing what on the guitar. I mean there are times when Taylor played with them when I can tell but other then that I could never tell the difference between Richards and Wood or even sometimes between Richards and Taylor.>

I don't know how to describe it but I've often felt I could tell who was playing what in the Stones. It was more clear cut when Taylor was in the band, but I don't think Woody sounds like Keith at all, at least when it comes to lead guitar. Woody is a bit flashier and faster with his licks, where Keith is usually more slow-burning soulful bluesy licks...Of course there are exceptions. I always thought the solo in She Was Hot was pure Keith but Woody says that the second half is him imitating Keith. It's mixed to sound like it's one guitar.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home