Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Did the female back up make exile horrible
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 16, 2010 04:25

.....<<But what they add to Let it Loose renders it all the more sublime,>>

.......word.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 16, 2010 05:25

drewmaster
Slick
tipps
Did the female back up make exile horrible
on the album? absolutely not...

but they do help to ruin any exile songs performed by the vegas stones.

The frequent use of backup singers and horns on Exile, IMO, makes it more of an "ensemble" record than a "core 5" Rolling Stones album (compared to Sticky Fingers, for example, where a larger share of what you hear is Mick, Keith, Mick T, Bill, and Charlie). In a sense, it foreshadows the number of musicians who would be on stage with the Stones in the later part of their career.

I would also suggest that because the female back-ups and horns are so prominent, it is less a "rock and roll" record than a homespun gospel album.

Drew

I would say it's more of a rock & roll record because it is closer to the roots that made rock & roll: Blues, R&B, Boogie, gospel, and country. It may be less of a "Rock" record, which I think is a good thing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 16, 2010 05:36

71Tele
drewmaster
Slick
tipps
Did the female back up make exile horrible
on the album? absolutely not...

but they do help to ruin any exile songs performed by the vegas stones.

The frequent use of backup singers and horns on Exile, IMO, makes it more of an "ensemble" record than a "core 5" Rolling Stones album (compared to Sticky Fingers, for example, where a larger share of what you hear is Mick, Keith, Mick T, Bill, and Charlie). In a sense, it foreshadows the number of musicians who would be on stage with the Stones in the later part of their career.

I would also suggest that because the female back-ups and horns are so prominent, it is less a "rock and roll" record than a homespun gospel album.

Drew

I would say it's more of a rock & roll record because it is closer to the roots that made rock & roll: Blues, R&B, Boogie, gospel, and country. It may be less of a "Rock" record, which I think is a good thing.

Yes, agree with 71Tele...and what the hell is wrong with a little variety? It's not like they made an album even close to Exile previously...what was the closest, Let it Bleed maybe (and even then, miles different). Exile rolls more than it rocks, and is the better for it.

To complain that it doesn't rock enough??? WTF? Go buy an AC/DC album...you won't feel weighted down by all the variety.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:15

kleermaker
"The frequent use of backup singers and horns on Exile, IMO, makes it more of an "ensemble" record than a "core 5" Rolling Stones album (compared to Sticky Fingers, for example, where a larger share of what you hear is Mick, Keith, Mick T, Bill, and Charlie). In a sense, it foreshadows the number of musicians who would be on stage with the Stones in the later part of their career." Quote drewmaster/Drew.

An interesting opinion. Those who love Exile (me too) should not be blind for it. Imo it there's too much horns on Exile. Sometimes I think: why a sax solo again, I want to hear Mick T. playing the solo instead of Keys. I'm also not fond of the sax as an instrument. As for the backup vocals: I have no problem with them on Exile, they are not dominant and often fit in well. But later the backup vocals were replacing an essential part of the band itself, covering its shortcomings.
No, i disagree. Everything on Exile On Main Street is perfect. The sax solos are great in my opinion. I would not change a thing.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:29

how is this still a thread?? its pure sacrelige. did i spell that right? prob not. anyway, this thread is ridiculous. to even think that about exile

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home