Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT-Most Influential Album Of Past 25 Years
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: June 13, 2010 16:23

U2's 'Achtung Baby' has been crowned the most influential album of the past 25 years in a magazine poll.

The Irish band's 1991 album beat Prince's 'Sign O' The Times' at two and The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead' at three to the Spin Magazine title.

Spin listed the staff-voted top 125 albums of the past 25 years to celebrate the magazine's quarter of a century in the business.

Completing the top five are Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and Radiohead's 'OK Computer' at four and five respectively.

Defending the unlikely number one, Spin Magazine editor Charles Aaron said: "Unlike Radiohead with 'OK Computer' and 'Kid A,' U2 took their post-industrial, trad-rock disillusionment not as a symbol of overall cultural malaise, but as a challenge to buck up and transcend.

"Struggling to simultaneously embrace and blow up the world, they were never more inspirational."

The top 10 is as follows:

1. U2 - 'Achtung Baby'
2. Prince - 'Sign O' The Timnes'
3. The Smiths – 'The Queen Is Dead'
4. Nirvana – 'Nevermind'
5. Radiohead – 'OK Computer'
6. Public Enemy - ' It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back'
7. Guns N' Roses – 'Appetite For Destruction'
8. PJ Harvey – 'Rid Of Me'
9. Pavement – 'Slanted and Enchanted'
10. Nine Inch Nails – 'The Downward Spiral'

Re: OT-Most Influential Album Of Past 25 Years
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 13, 2010 16:24

No mention of A Bigger Bang....?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 13, 2010 16:47

29years ok too?

Friday Night in San Francisco /Paco/John/Al.
Influenced a 10000000000 guitar players to take it really serous.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 13, 2010 18:47

CRACKER - KEROSINE HAT

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 13, 2010 19:02

White Stripes - Elephant

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 13, 2010 23:53

Edith Grove
White Stripes - Elephant

Agree...love this album.

I think most of the list looks pretty good though.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 13, 2010 23:57

ABB

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2010 00:11

mickscarey
ABB

I would prefer ABBA.cool smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 14, 2010 03:05

treaclefingers
Edith Grove
White Stripes - Elephant

Agree...love this album.

Not really. "Most Influential" just means "Which album has inspired the most copycats?" I'd put Nirvana at the top of the list, and Pearl Jam, who aren't even on it, at #2.

Date: June 14, 2010 03:23

tatters
treaclefingers
Edith Grove
White Stripes - Elephant

Agree...love this album.

Not really. "Most Influential" just means "Which album has inspired the most copycats?" I'd put Nirvana at the top of the list, and Pearl Jam, who aren't even on it, at #2.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the definition of "Most Influential". Without your input, I think that the majority of us may have been lost.

Keep up the good work!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 14, 2010 03:36

treaclefingers
tatters
treaclefingers
Edith Grove
White Stripes - Elephant

Agree...love this album.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the definition of "Most Influential". Without your input, I think that the majority of us may have been lost.

Keep up the good work!>grinning smiley<

Well, clearly the folks at Spin magazine don't know what it means. Achtung Baby's a pretty good album, but who exactly has been influenced by it? What famous, influential artist of TODAY heard that album when it first came out and thought "Wow! That's amazing! I'm gonna put a band together and we're gonna do music that sounds just like that!"

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 14, 2010 03:41

IMO RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic...hands down!

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 03:45

The Strokes first record

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: June 14, 2010 04:19

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 14, 2010 05:56

Most influential to me:

Elvis Costello & The Attractions: Blood & Chocolate
The Replacements: Pleased To Meet Me, Don't Tell A Soul
Tom Waits: Rain Dogs, Mule Variations
Liz Phair: Exile In Guyville
Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels On A Gravel Road, Essence

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 14, 2010 06:10

Bingo,

regarding RHCP it's Magik not Magic.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 14, 2010 07:31

Any of a few Guided by Voices albums: Propellor, Bee Thousand or Alien Lanes. Low-fi, warts and all, indie rock could still rule!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:13

agree with RHCP, and there should be some Wilco there. The White Stripes and Pearl Jam sorely missed. All these have been hugely influental, but none surpassed. I would like to add the Stone Roses and Oasis, SR 1st album especially.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:37

It's Dirty Work, and don't do it again...

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:39

It looks like Spin magazine are trying to list the "most influential", not "the best"... interesting idea.

On that criteria alone, I would suggest:

- Nirvana "Nevermind".

- Eric Clapton "Unplugged". It kickstarted the whole Unplugged phenomenon, which was everywhere in the 1990s. It won endless Grammys and everyone followed with an unplugged album of their own. You might say that the success of this album is related to Nirvana's "Nevermind" album, as it reflected a desire/fashion to strip away the 1980s pomposity and artifical click-tracks. A back-to-authenticity approach... And hey, Nirvana themselves would be influenced by Eric Clapton's success and record their own Unplugged album... All of which leads to an interesting question- can we trace the current popularity of 'roots' music (such as Wilco) to the unplugged phenomenon?

- My Bloody Valentine "Loveless". This was incredibly influential amongst musicians and music fans. Its good too.

- Me personally I hate Oasis, but even I can see from over here in Australia that "Definitely Maybe" was incredibly influential in the UK and caused many kids to pick up a guitar. So I guess that should be on the list.

- NWA "Straight Outta Compton". This was really influential, it helped make gansta rap very popular, for better or worse.

- Beck "Odeley". This was a commercial success and the cut-up sampling production techniques by the Dust Brothers influenced many many musicians. "Odeley" is interesting because Beck's own approach to music compliments the cut-up style (eg: recycling pop culture).

- Bob Dylan Bootleg Series 1-3. This boxset was a big success, and in my opinion it influenced countless other successful bands to open their vaults... Springsteen, Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, etc. It showed that you could release new material from the past and people would still love it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 08:40 by bolexman.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:41

Beck Odelay

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 14, 2010 09:02

Just looked it up; it's a list of 125 with many of our suggestions scattered throughout. spin list

Unless I read too fast and missed them, I was surprised it didn't include Peter Gabriel's So, Paul Simon's Graceland, U2's Joshua Tree, Depeche Mode's Violator, The Cure's Disintegration.

Posted by: 69boogie ()
Date: June 14, 2010 09:43

treaclefingers
Edith Grove
White Stripes - Elephant

Agree...love this album.

Wrong.

That's the problem right there, it's not about what you love, and therefore think is great, it's about influence. If your going to try and pick an album as being influential, you have to be willing to legitimately consider albums you hate, but that have had a major impact on what's come after them.

In my opinion, it's Nevermind, an album of which I only like half and hate the other. Unfortunately, the half I don't like, songs such as In Bloom and Come As You Are, seems to be the part that has influenced so much of what has come since.

I think the list is pretty accurate, although I think a few things, such as Sign O' The Times, Rid Of Me, and It Takes A Nation Of Millions are stretches. I think the performers are influential, but the albums not so much, mostly because I don't really hear them in today's music.

Date: June 14, 2010 10:00

69boogie
treaclefingers
Edith Grove
White Stripes - Elephant

Agree...love this album.

Wrong.

That's the problem right there, it's not about what you love, and therefore think is great, it's about influence. If your going to try and pick an album as being influential, you have to be willing to legitimately consider albums you hate, but that have had a major impact on what's come after them.

In my opinion, it's Nevermind, an album of which I only like half and hate the other. Unfortunately, the half I don't like, songs such as In Bloom and Come As You Are, seems to be the part that has influenced so much of what has come since.

I think the list is pretty accurate, although I think a few things, such as Sign O' The Times, Rid Of Me, and It Takes A Nation Of Millions are stretches. I think the performers are influential, but the albums not so much, mostly because I don't really hear them in today's music.

Just because I express a preference for this album doesn't automatically disqualify it for contention.

Just because you are rude doesn't automatically disqualify you from having an opinion.

Just understand, it is only an opinion...and just like *ssholes, everybody's got one!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:24

But Dirty Work is still the most influential album of the past 25 years if you can register how many shit-alums there are issued after it...

Date: June 14, 2010 10:26

Come On
But Dirty Work is still the most influential album of the past 25 years if you can register how many shit-alums there are issued after it...

Now that, IS PHUNNY!

Date: June 14, 2010 11:57

bolexman
It looks like Spin magazine are trying to list the "most influential", not "the best"... interesting idea.

- Nirvana "Nevermind".

- Eric Clapton "Unplugged". It kickstarted the whole Unplugged phenomenon, which was everywhere in the 1990s. It won endless Grammys and everyone followed with an unplugged album of their own. You might say that the success of this album is related to Nirvana's "Nevermind" album, as it reflected a desire/fashion to strip away the 1980s pomposity and artifical click-tracks. A back-to-authenticity approach... And hey, Nirvana themselves would be influenced by Eric Clapton's success and record their own Unplugged album... All of which leads to an interesting question- can we trace the current popularity of 'roots' music (such as Wilco) to the unplugged phenomenon?

- My Bloody Valentine "Loveless". This was incredibly influential amongst musicians and music fans. Its good too.

- Me personally I hate Oasis, but even I can see from over here in Australia that "Definitely Maybe" was incredibly influential in the UK and caused many kids to pick up a guitar. So I guess that should be on the list.

- NWA "Straight Outta Compton". This was really influential, it helped make gansta rap very popular, for better or worse.

- Beck "Odeley". This was a commercial success and the cut-up sampling production techniques by the Dust Brothers influenced many many musicians. "Odeley" is interesting because Beck's own approach to music compliments the cut-up style (eg: recycling pop culture).

- Bob Dylan Bootleg Series 1-3. This boxset was a big success, and in my opinion it influenced countless other successful bands to open their vaults... Springsteen, Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, etc. It showed that you could release new material from the past and people would still love it.

wrong. TESLA released a successful live "unplugged" album in 1990 which the people at MTV say inspired them to create the unplugged series. also a bon jovi performance of "wanted dead or alive" that was unplugged at some awards show. mariah carey and paul mccartney both appeared for MTV unplugged before clapton

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 14, 2010 12:15

Beastie Boys!

C

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 14, 2010 12:38

keefriffhard4life
bolexman

- Nirvana "Nevermind".

wrong. TESLA released a successful live "unplugged" album in 1990 which the people at MTV say inspired them to create the unplugged series. also a bon jovi performance of "wanted dead or alive" that was unplugged at some awards show. mariah carey and paul mccartney both appeared for MTV unplugged before clapton

You miss my point. Clapton's Unplugged was incredibly popular. A phenomenon of sorts. McCartney's Unplugged did not have any success that was even remotely comparable to Clapton's, for example. We are talking cultural success here. Clapton's album was everywhere, and suddenly every man and his dog was cutting an Unplugged disc... I also believe the success of the Unplugged format was closely linked to the impact that 'grunge' had in the early 1990s. Public tastes had changed, and 'authenticity' was suddenly fashionable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 12:44 by bolexman.

Date: June 14, 2010 13:12

bolexman
keefriffhard4life
bolexman

- Nirvana "Nevermind".

You miss my point. Clapton's Unplugged was incredibly popular. A phenomenon of sorts. McCartney's Unplugged did not have any success that was even remotely comparable to Clapton's, for example. We are talking cultural success here. Clapton's album was everywhere, and suddenly every man and his dog was cutting an Unplugged disc... I also believe the success of the Unplugged format was closely linked to the impact that 'grunge' had in the early 1990s. Public tastes had changed, and 'authenticity' was suddenly fashionable.

well you say grunge played a part in it yet poison, ratt, kiss, great white and a few other pop metal bands were on unplugged. most of the time the artists had no say if mtv released the album. they sign a contract to play the MTV unplugged series and know MTV may release the album or may not.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home