Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 97
Re: OT WORLD CUP 2010 in South Africa - the IORR thread
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 1, 2010 13:31

Max'sKansasCity
Is it OK for fans to start rooting for another team, when their country is out?

Absolutely Max, especially when you decide to start rooting for Holland smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 1, 2010 20:01

Here are my bets for the quarterfinal:

Netherlands: Brazil 3:1

Uruguay: Ghana 2:1

Argentina: Germany 1:2

Paraguy: Spain 1:3

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 1, 2010 20:10

open-g
How to get Americans (USA) to watch Football during 2010 FIFA World Cup grinning smiley

funny

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 1, 2010 20:21

Havo

Interesting. No extra time, no penalties after the extra time? Most conspicuous bet: Netherlands - Brazil 3-1. Wow!

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 1, 2010 20:38

kleermaker
Havo

Interesting. No extra time, no penalties after the extra time? Most conspicuous bet: Netherlands - Brazil 3-1. Wow!

Netherlands 1x5 Brazil

Uruguay 2x1 Ghana

Argentina 1x2 Germany

Paraguy 0x2 Spain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-01 20:39 by carlostones10.

Date: July 1, 2010 21:24

carlostones10
kleermaker
Havo

Netherlands 1x5 Brazil

Uruguay 2x1 Ghana

Argentina 1x2 Germany

Paraguy 0x2 Spain

Let me guess... carlostones10 is a Brazilian.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 1, 2010 21:58

Too bad that Havo and carlostones didn't join our pool. That way they could have proven how much they really know.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 1, 2010 22:12

I'm almost fully positive that Netherlands will finally win the cup.They kinda deserve it after presenting us with what is arguably the most beautiful football in the international competition in almost each tournament they participated in.I love their unique style of controlling the ball in the middle of the pitch for as long as possible thus tiring the opponents defense line before heading toward the goal.Argentina also seems to have a good chance of winning the cup but I am afraid that the madman at their wheel might swerve in the wrong direction.Great players dont necessarily make great coaches,

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 1, 2010 22:22

Your right stones_serb, they deserved it after all does years........and I think they have a great team and a great keeper. We all know Brasil is great too but I wasn't impressed with their playing ....seems that all the teams play the same kind of game these day's.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 1, 2010 22:27

kleermaker
carlostones10
kleermaker
Havo

Netherlands 1x5 Brazil

Uruguay 2x1 Ghana

Argentina 1x2 Germany

Paraguy 0x2 Spain

If Brazil score five against Holland, I'll GET a 'Brazilian'....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2010 22:52

Havo

So maybe Holland v Germany final???

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 1, 2010 23:03

That is Havo's wish ..........

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 2, 2010 00:31

Gazza
kleermaker
carlostones10
kleermaker
Havo

Netherlands 1x5 Brazil

Uruguay 2x1 Ghana

Argentina 1x2 Germany

Paraguy 0x2 Spain

If Brazil score five against Holland, I'll GET a 'Brazilian'....
If you do,please don't post any pictures of it.confused smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 2, 2010 00:46

There will be some surprises (and that isn't counting what the refs might doconfused smiley)...so I can see Netherlands vs Argentina.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 2, 2010 00:51

MKjan
There will be some surprises (and that isn't counting what the refs might doconfused smiley)...so I can see Netherlands vs Argentina.

Surprise....if you had chosen Ghana vs Paraguay.....

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 2, 2010 00:56

shortfatfanny
MKjan

Surprise....if you had chosen Ghana vs Paraguay.....

that would be a surprise as well....

Posted by: Rockandosis ()
Date: July 2, 2010 01:05

Messi are sick? mmmmmmspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I have doubts (jajajaja)

Tomorrow come on URUGUAY URUGUAY URUGUAY !!!!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 2, 2010 01:12

Rolling Hansie
Max'sKansasCity
Is it OK for fans to start rooting for another team, when their country is out?

Absolutely Max, especially when you decide to start rooting for Holland smiling smiley

AWESOME ORANGE !!!!!!!
I will keep it kind of low key on this board ....but around here I am going a lil crazy,
Orange it is ...... tick tock tick tock time is coming up ...LETS GO!!!!!

My only concerns is which country the refs and FIFA want, I hope it is Holland
HUP HOLLAND HUP

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 2, 2010 01:17

Interesting again....
No one gives a penny for Spain,mmmmmmm.
I prefer be quiet.

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: July 2, 2010 01:44

carlitosbaez
Interesting again....
I prefer be quiet.

Carlitos
Tenerife

You're mistaken, Carlitos. I liked Spain very much against Portugal. They really kept on going and attacking and deserved to win without any doubt. Spain is a very good team, a better footballing team than Paraguay, so they have a big chanche to come very far and maybe even win the cup. Very well possible.

Date: July 2, 2010 01:44

Anyone noticed declaration of Jagger to FIFA.com?
EFE Mick Jagger, cantante de los Rolling Stones, destacó la actuación de la selección argentina por su "fantástica capacidad goleadora", a diferencia de Inglaterra, eliminada por Alemania en octavos de final del Mundial.

"Creo que (Argentina) tiene una fantástica capacidad goleadora, algo que Inglaterra no dio la sensación de poder igualar. Después de ver a (Carlos) Tévez contra México, te das cuenta de lo buenos que son; creo que son impresionantes", declaró a fifa.com.

Jagger recordó que "todo el mundo daba como favorita a España antes del torneo", pero añadió que eso está por ver: "No sé si va a ser tan potente. Alemania, por su parte, hace algunas jugadas estupendas. Creo que el torneo está completamente abierto ahora mismo".

A la pregunta de por qué apoyaba a Estados Unidos frente a Ghana, el cantante respondió: "Un poco, sí. No tengo parientes ghaneses, pero sí tengo muchos estadounidenses. Apoyo a Inglaterra y mi equipo es Inglaterra, pero estando en el palco con 30 americanos no me voy a poner a apoyar a Ghana, seamos realistas".

Ahora que Inglaterra y Estados Unidos han sido eliminados, se inclina por Brasil. "Mi hijo, que es mitad brasileño, está absolutamente loco por el fútbol, como la mayoría de los brasileños. Espero que lo haga mejor que Inglaterra".

Date: July 2, 2010 01:47

Rolling Stones frontman Sir Mick Jagger is back at the FIFA World Cup™ for a third time. He has been seen on TV as an enthusiastic football fan at the Round of 16 games featuring USA and Ghana, as well as his beloved England playing against Germany.

In an exclusive interview, FIFA.com caught up with Sir Mick to discuss his thoughts on South Africa 2010™ as he prepared to head to the Brazil v Chile game in Johannesburg.

FIFA.com: You've been spotted taking pictures at a few games at the FIFA World Cup™. So far, how have you enjoyed the matches?
Sir Mick Jagger: Well, I watched the rounds on TV when I was back in England, and I came for the post-group stage. I was kindly invited to go to the USA game [v Ghana, in Rustenburg]. I’ve got a large extended US family, so they said ‘Go!’ you know, but it was quite a long way. I didn’t realise how far it was! But it was fun. I enjoyed it, it was a good match, but USA lost, though they did pretty good.

You seemed to be supporting USA against Ghana...
I kind of was... I don’t have any Ghanaian relatives but I’ve got lots of American ones. I support England and my team is England. When I was there and you’re with 30 Americans in the box, I’m not going to support Ghana really, let’s face it!

Who will you be supporting now that England and USA have gone out?
Well, my son is half-Brazilian and absolutely mad keen on football, like most people who are Brazilian, so we are going to see Brazil [v Chile] tonight. I hope they do better than England did.

You were sitting next to former President Bill Clinton at the Ghana match. How was he after the game?
Well, they were a bit disappointed. Obviously, every team wants to get as far as they can but I think they were kind of almost happy with getting past the group stage and obviously very happy coming top in that group. We always thought we were going to that game to see England play because we thought that was a relatively easy group.

What are you impressions of the first FIFA World Cup to be played in Africa? That’s quite special.
Yes, it’s very special. I was actually here about six months ago, just on holiday, and obviously everyone was so revved up for it and so proud. It’s a lot of work, but I think through it all it seems to be going well, there haven’t been any major problems... there’s the odd thing here and there but you’ll always get that. I think they should be really happy with it. I hope the host nation has enjoyed it as much as everyone who has visited.

Like any Englishman, you would have been disappointed to see England go out but why do you think England can’t match those expectations that are always there?
Well, obviously England always thinks of itself as a top international country, so that’s your expectation. It’s not like the United States that thinks: ‘OK, we’re glad to be in it... we’re not lucky to be in it, but proud to be in it’, whereas England you want them to go at least to the semi-finals, you know you expect it. When they don’t come up to that expectation, well... the higher the expectation, the bigger the disappointment, obviously. It has to be said, though everyone’s a pundit, that they didn’t really play. In this tournament they only scored three goals, so you are never going to win much if you only score three goals. You cut away the rest of it and that’s really where you’re left. I mean, you can let a few in but you’ve got to score a lot more, so that’s not what they did.

I hope the host nation has enjoyed it as much as everyone who has visited.Sir Mick Jagger
How many other FIFA World Cup finals have you been to?
I’ve been to two. I was at the France one [1998] and I was at it when it was in Germany [2006]. I think that was the only two. I sometimes get a bit confused with my European Cups, but I’ve definitely been to two.

Do you have any special memories of the finals?
My special memory, which was unfortunately not 100 per cent happy, was England v Argentina at St Etienne [1998], which was at a small ground in a very small town and it was an amazing match, for anyone that wasn’t there. I think David Beckham got sent off in that match for a pretty marginal incident, but it was an amazing game, England-Argentina, and that was one of my definite really stark memories of the World Cup. In 1966, God knows where I was, in America on tour I should think! This is my third World Cup and I’m very pleased to have brought my youngest son to it and it’s a great thing to be able to do, so I’m really having a good time.

You’ve been watching the games from home from the start. Which teams and players have impressed you so far?
Argentina. I think they’ve got fantastic scoring ability, which is what we were talking about earlier, which England didn’t seem to be able to match in this tournament. With [Carlos] Tevez, last night you could see how good they were against Mexico, so I think they are impressive. I mean, everyone fancied Spain pre-tournament. We’ll see, but I don’t know if they are going to be as good, and Germany have got some very good moves. I think this is quite wide open, this tournament, as we speak.

Where does your love of football stem from? Were you any good at it at school?
Useless, but actually I never played soccer at school. I went to a school that only played rugby and soccer was kind of frowned on, but we did play at the weekends. We didn’t play very seriously, but we always loved soccer and my family was always a great Arsenal-supporting family. I support Arsenal, but my eldest son goes every week, and I don’t go every week. We come from a family of keen supporters.

The sound of this FIFA World Cup has undoubtedly been the vuvuzela. What do you think of them?
Yes, it’s pretty mad really! It wasn’t as loud in the two games that I have been to as I was led to believe, but we’ll see tonight. It’s kind of odd rhythms that it sets up and you get used to it. You see so much of it on telly, so it’s not a surprise, but it is pretty loud in the stadium.

Have you had the chance to catch any South African music while you have been here?
I haven’t yet but I hope to now we’ve got a little bit of respite, so I hope to go and hear some live music in the next couple of days.

What are your plans from here? Are you going to stay with Brazil all the way?
We’ll see how Brazil do and then stay with that!

[www.fifa.com]

Date: July 2, 2010 01:51

Pic from the interviw today,

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 2, 2010 01:58

carlitosbaez
Interesting again....
I prefer be quiet.

Carlitos
Tenerife

Sure, Spain could go all the way although they still don't seem as compelling as Argentina, Germany and Brazil.People just usually tend to prefer traditionally better teams like Germany,Holland, Argentina and Brazil.This time however Spain came to the tournament as the biggest contender from Europe and as such there are some heavy expectations laid on them.That might be one of the reasons why so many people are let down by their performance so far.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 2, 2010 01:59

In the USA, football is that game that dominates winter Sundays and features Lycra, helmets and men so large they should come with their own zip code.

Elsewhere, football is football. The round-ball sport, the beautiful game, with its biggest prize to be handed out here on July 11.

Soccer? Pah, a silly American term created by a nation that has its own national obsession.

No country has been snootier toward the USA’s use of the term “soccer” than England. Before the Group C opener between the two sides in Rustenburg, the Sun newspaper even ran a spoof front page urging Fabio Capello’s side to win the “soccerball world series.”

But let’s take a halftime break here.

Coupled with their team’s humiliating exit from the World Cup it might be another rude awakening to the Brits that soccer isn’t an American term, it is actually an English one. And it isn’t some modern fad that shows disrespect to the world’s most popular sport, it dates back to the earliest days of the game’s professional history.

Indeed, until the last few decades, even Englishmen would routinely refer to their favorite pastime as soccer, just as often as they would say football.

Clive Toye, an Englishman who moved to the U.S. and became known as the father of modern American soccer, bringing Brazilian legend Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, takes up the story.

“Soccer is a synonym for football,” said Toye, who helped launch the North American Soccer League in the late 1960s. “And it has been used as such for more years than I can count. When I was a kid in England and grabbed a ball to go out and play … I would just as easily have said: ‘Let’s have a game of soccer’ as I would use the word ‘football’ instead. And I didn’t start it.”

To trace the origin of “soccer” we must go all the way back to 1863, and a meeting of gentlemen at a London pub, who congregated with the purpose of standardizing the rules of “football,” which was in its infant years as an organized sport but was growing rapidly in popularity.

Those assembled became the founding members of the Football Association (which still oversees the game in England to this day). And they decided to call their code Association Football, to differentiate it from Rugby Football.

A quirk of British culture is the permanent need to familiarize names by shortening them. “My friend Brian Johnston was Johnners,” said Toye. “They took the third, fourth and fifth letters of Association and called it SOCcer. So there you are.”

So forget that English condescension and carry on calling it soccer, safe in the knowledge that you’re more in tune with the roots of the sport than those mocking Brits.

Date: July 2, 2010 02:15

We don´t have football these days, but what about LARISSA?????

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 2, 2010 02:23

I'm diggin Paraguay right about now.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 2, 2010 05:14

Still 12 hours to go

2 girls 4 abreast

Still 11 3/4 hours to go

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 2, 2010 08:20

carlitosbaez
Interesting again....
I prefer be quiet.

Carlitos
Tenerife
Don't you worry, Spain is ready for it. Be glad that the attention, just for now, is going to other teams.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 2, 2010 09:59

"In 1966, God knows where I was, in America on tour I should think!"

(by courtesy of Nico Zentgrafs website)
Good memory, Mick. You’ve been to the USA indeed around the 1966 World Cup touring since 24 June! The usual set seemed to be:
Not Fade Away / The Last Time / Paint It Black / Stupid Girl / Lady Jane / The Spider And The Fly / Mothers Little Helper / Get Off Of My Cloud / 19th Nervous Breakdown / Satisfaction
11th July: Houston, Texas, Sam Houston Coliseum
England - Uruguay 0:0
12th July: St. Louis, Missouri, Kiel Convention Hall
14th July: Winnipeg, Canada, Stadium
15th July: Omaha, Nebraska, Civic Auditorium
16th July England – Mexico 2:0
19th July: Vancouver, Canada, Pacific International Exhibition Forum
20th July: Seattle, Washington, Center Coliseum
England – France 2:0
21st July: Portland, Oregon, Memorial Coliseum
22nd July: Sacramento, California, Memorial Auditorium (2 shows)
23rd July: Salt Lake City, Utah, Davis County Lagoon
23rd July: Phoenix, Arizona, unidentified venue –unsure
Salt Lake City and Phoenix on the same day?! Wasn’t there a story about a Oxford University Debutantee Ball concert, too?!
Anyway, England – Argentina 1:0 quarter final
24th July: Bakersfield, California, Civic Auditorium (2 shows)
25th July: Los Angeles, California, Hollywood Bowl
26th July: San Francisco, California, Cow Palace
Happy birthday, Mick, and congratulations to your team defeating Portugal by 2:1 in the half final, qualifying for the final
28th July: Honolulu, Hawaii, Honolulu International Center
famous “last concert ever”…
(Not Fade Away / The Last Time / Paint It Black / CW's introduction bit / Lady Jane / Mother’s Little Helper / Get Off Of My Cloud / 19th Nervous Breakdown / Satisfaction)
Note: Broadcast live by Hawaiian radio (K-POI).
30th July final England-Germany 4:2
1st August: US radio (WABC) 'The In Sound', New York. Host: Harry Harrison. interview with MJ & KR by phone call (transmitted on the same day)
After that from 3 August onwards recordings for Between the Buttons in Los Angeles.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 97

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home