Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Official: Exile re-enters at #1 in U.K. after 38 years (Sales on Page 3)
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 17:37

Do you have news about US salles? I know is number 1 in amazon us store.

Date: May 24, 2010 17:56

Georgelicks. You are the conveyor of good news. I'm glad you keep us all informed. With the CD so high in the charts, it's a shame the group won't be touring it.

I do have a general comment about this release. Why now instead of it's 40th anniversary in 2012?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2010 18:11

Because its been out of print since they left EMI. Leave it to 2012 and that means it would have been deleted for over three years.

The same reason why ALL their EMI era albums were remastered and reissued last year - Exile being the excpetion because UMG asked them to do something 'extra' for it.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 19:37

Stones are a still in activity Band, they don't want live in the past, so they'll touring next year with a new studio album (hoping that this time they'll play 4-5 new songs...)

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 24, 2010 19:43

The problem there is, the VAST majority of any Stones crowd are going purely for nostalgic reasons. They don't want to hear any new shit

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 20:05

The last albums are shit comparate to the old stuff, but in my opinion are still good albums comparate to the last albums of others band, thinking that are four young middleaged boys that rockin' & Rollin' from fifty years...
ABB is a good album in my opinion:"She saw me coming", "It won't take long","Oh no, not you again", "Laugh,I nearly died", "Back of my hands" are awesome!
The last U2 albums is shit comparate to ABB or VL...Perharps they're most "trendy" than the Stones, but their last stuff is really shit!
We must thinking in the present:the Stones are still able to make good albums...The past has been glorious and amazing, but we must living in the present, no nostalgia or Vegas Band:a very good Band still in activity!Can't wait for a new studio album!!

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 25, 2010 04:21

carlostones10
Do you have news about US salles? I know is number 1 in amazon us store.

It's looking like a #2 debut in the United States, but a #1 in Canada.

P.S. Those #'s are not final and could change.

Date: May 25, 2010 04:47

squando
Quite amazing really.

In the UK

#1 albums - 11 (10 studio; 1 live) - I did read somewhere Exile second time 'round makes 12 but I can find only 11.
#2 albums - 10 (7 studio; 1 live; 2 compilation)
#3 albums - 6 (4 studio; 1 live; 1 compilation)
#4 albums - 4 (1 studio; 1 live; 2 compilation)

with 4 other top 10 jobbies totalling 35 top 10 LPs in the UK, 31 of which made the top 4.

Pretty bloody impressive.

Squando, which one is the #1 Live album?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 25, 2010 04:59

Stones reissue gamble pays off

Monday May 24, 2010
By Ben Cardew

Universal's gambit of treating the reissue of The Rolling Stones’ Exile On Main Street as a frontline release rather than a catalogue album has paid off spectacularly, with the album entering the chart at number one.

The album, which adds additional material to the original 1972 release, last week sold 31,287 units to become the most successful repackage of Stones material since Universal secured the rights in 2008 from EMI of the band’s post-1971 catalogue.

The result means Exile In Main Street is the first studio album to return to number one as a reissue in the UK.

Mick Jagger tells Music Week, “Working with Universal on the Shine A Light project proved they understood how we work and with this number one in the UK, it is great news for everyone involved. Looking back to ’72 it was worth the effort and, yes, Exile… is a great record that has stood the test of time.”

The reissue programme started with Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup, It’s Only Rock‘n’Roll and Black and Blue in May 2009, followed by Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You, Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang later that year. All of the reissues are through Polydor via UMG companies around the world.

The re-release of Exile…, however, was separate to the main reissue programme. Polydor issued the album last Monday, with 10 previously unreleased tracks from the period, some of which have sub-sequently been re-worked. The album is generally priced at £5.99 for the standard CD version and £11.99 for the deluxe edition.

“We treated it as if it was a new album,” says Polydor UK general manager Orla Lee. “It is about engaging with a new audience and having new material from the time.”

Treating the album as a frontline release meant that Polydor issued two of these new songs – Plundered My Soul and Following The River – as “focus tracks” to radio and TV, creating new videos for both. Plundered My Soul was first out of the blocks and made the Radio 2 C-list, as well as picking up considerable airplay on Kerrang! Radio. Following The River has just gone to radio.

“Rather than it being a reissue, there are new songs. They’ve been doing lots of interviews, radio, TV and lots of [media] takeovers,” says Lee, who explains that the band were intimately involved with the project.

Bernard Doherty, CEO of LD Communications and now in his third decade as the Stones’ PR, explains the press campaign was laid out six months ago “with meticulous planning but the band wanted it to have a rock‘n’roll feel in that all the interviews and media coverage didn’t all drop at once, it needed to gather momentum”.

“Our first cover was three months ago with Uncut, then we had playbacks of the bonus tracks to media, arranged a number of screenings of the Stones in Exile documentary,” he adds.

This frontline approach also extends to the advertising campaign behind the reissue. “We haven’t just approached it as one ad in Record Collector – although we have done that. It has been a far-reaching campaign with the full frontline approach,” adds Lee.

She sees the album campaign as a sustained one with further activity to follow, including repromotion around Father’s Day in June.

“It is a global campaign,” Lee adds. “The midweeks around the world are very strong.”

“Considering Exile… is now in its fourth decade and has been reissued twice before, this is a remarkable achievement,” adds Doherty.

Keith Richards says, “Maybe because it was a double album, we knew there was going to be a sort of reaction to it in a way, just because it was very different. It shows our determination, the Stones’ point of view, that we insisted it was a double record, that you couldn’t split it up in other words. That was what we did. We’re the exiles and this is what we’re doing. It was made with that kind of attitude.

“Every tour when we plan the setlist, Exile is one of those records you can look at and say ‘We’ve gotta do Tumbling Dice and Happy and there’s always Sweet Virginia and Shine a Light.’

“When you’re in a little bit of doubt about what to play, you say, ‘Let’s listen to Exile and we’ll find something.’”

Following the re-release, there are understood to be more Rolling Stones reissues in the pipeline, also including previously un-released tracks.

Source: Music Week

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 25, 2010 05:06

Exile On Main Street – Sales breakdown

Monday May 24, 2010

By Christopher Barrett
Exile On Main Street, is this week, the first album to return to number one as a reissue in the UK. Here we break down the Rolling Stones album’s 31,287 first week sales by format.

CD = 28,519

Digital bundles = 2,279

Vinyl = 490

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2010 06:17

georgelicks
Exile On Main Street – Sales breakdown

Monday May 24, 2010

By Christopher Barrett
Exile On Main Street, is this week, the first album to return to number one as a reissue in the UK. Here we break down the Rolling Stones album’s 31,287 first week sales by format.

CD = 28,519

Digital bundles = 2,279

Vinyl = 490

Wow...a couple of interesting notes...for Stones fans at least, the "CD" isn't dead, outselling Digital what, 11 or 12 to 1! Second thing I didn't realize is first reissue to REENTER at NUMBER 1.

Nice stat.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 25, 2010 06:40

Hi Palace

Yayas #1
SOL #2
LYL #3
SL #4

They bagged 3 #2s in the 00s - 40 Licks; ABB and SAL.

If any of them had reached #1 instead of #2 that would have meant they'd made a #1 album in the UK for six decades running:

60s - RS 1; RS 2: Aftermath: LIB
70s - GYYO; SF; Exile; GHS
80s - ER
90s - VL
00s - nudda
10s - Exile

well there you go. it is 12 #1s so I will go back and correct my mistake.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home