Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Official: Exile re enters at #1 in U.K. after 38 years
Posted by: moosman ()
Date: May 24, 2010 04:44

My daughter is going away to college and every penny is precious. Today, she asked to borrow the new Exile so she could download it. I told her no. Then, I reached into my wallet and pulled out enough money for her to buy her own copy. She understood right away. I want exile to be the number one record in America. I truly think I'm losing my mind.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 24, 2010 04:51

Fabulous news, thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 24, 2010 04:57

Gazza
"Let's see how well this one does, shall we? If it does shit, I'm not going through all this again..." - Mick Jagger, early 2010.

I hate that Mick loathes his participation in these projects. Can't he delegate this job to someone who actually wants to do this? It's a shame that this process was so "painful" for him.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 24, 2010 05:14

moosman
My daughter is going away to college and every penny is precious. Today, she asked to borrow the new Exile so she could download it. I told her no. Then, I reached into my wallet and pulled out enough money for her to buy her own copy. She understood right away. I want exile to be the number one record in America. I truly think I'm losing my mind.

Good story Moosman, thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: May 24, 2010 05:24

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but it's the extra "bonus" tracks, including Plundered My Soul, that sold it.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 24, 2010 05:27

3DTeafoe
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but it's the extra "bonus" tracks, including Plundered My Soul, that sold it.

Great...so that will give Mick the incentive to do more of these old/new song hybrids.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 24, 2010 05:30

Anybody know what the final sales figures were? I know as of Friday the Stones were only up by 600 albums.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 24, 2010 06:05

ChefGuevara
How does Exile stands against other Stones Albums on overall sales?
Has this second push made it one of their best selling albums ever?

I doubt it. You don't have to sell that many albums to have a #1 nowadays .... especially if your competition's albums all suck.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 24, 2010 06:54

Gazza
James Kirk
Happy Times!!!

Hat's off to the GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD!

If someone had told you in 1964 that the Stones would have the #1 album in 2010 you would have thought they were nuts,

Unless it was a posthumous release.

Amazing achievement - even more amazing that it was a reissue of an album which wasnt even one of the biggest sellers to begin with.

First act ever to have number 1's in FIVE decades, I believe.

don't know bout the sales figures in '72 but it was a number one album in 1972.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 24, 2010 08:16

Many youngsters in Australia are into it. When buying the SD version in a JB HiFi store the album was on constantly and three copies sold to teenagers while I was waiting for my SD version to be brought out from the back. The guy passing it to me said they sold out of the SD version country wide and that he had bought one because him and "his mates knew it is the greatest album ever made". He wouldn't have been more than 21.

Andrew Johnson could have done well to listen to "Black angel" don't you think Tod?

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 24, 2010 09:35

squando
Many youngsters in Australia are into it. When buying the SD version in a JB HiFi store the album was on constantly and three copies sold to teenagers while I was waiting for my SD version to be brought out from the back. The guy passing it to me said they sold out of the SD version country wide and that he had bought one because him and "his mates knew it is the greatest album ever made". He wouldn't have been more than 21.

Andrew Johnson could have done well to listen to "Black angel" don't you think Tod?

No. 6 in Australia, according to the latest ARIA charts. I didn't even expect that, considering the shit that normally dominates the charts here.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2010 09:47

I wonder if this will encourage them to further open the vaults and to perhaps revisit more of Exile when and if they next tour. Great news though.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 24, 2010 11:39

open the vaults versus new record?
maybe this project shows m & k that these are not completely opposite operations.... hint cool smiley

i think universal did a great job on this

maybe is fartched but i wonder if all this buzz over exile in these months can have a little "cultural" effect on the "music scene" that is on new kids... i hope so

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 24, 2010 11:59

what next then ?

Sticky Fingers

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:11

Report from the Daily Mail.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:14

andy js
what next then ?

Sticky Fingers

I hope so! Let It Bleed or Beggars would be equally acceptable tho'!

Date: May 24, 2010 12:20

Thanks for the info OneHit. You hit the nail on the head regarding the radio here these days. Just checked it out the Exile was #1 here back in the day. Wonder if an album here has ever re-entered the top 10 38 years after release? The only album I can think of the made a reassurgence is Bat Out Of Hell. And I don't know if that made #1 either time it made top 10. Think there was about 15 years between initial release and rerelease.

Sticky Fingers would be my bet for the next one. Reissuing BS as a single (and even WH in light of Ms Boyle) would be a winner along with more outtakes from the period. The Marquee show cleaned up for dvd would be an idea although they apparently dislike the show. Mind you the Circus show eventually surfaced legally so who knows? The acoustic version of ADTL would be a great addition - Jagger could even sing the proper lyrics to it - would be great I think. Am surprised it didn't make the cut for Exiles reissue. Would have been better than "I gotta have a song to sing on the album too Mick" the alternate Soul Survivor rendition. Music's great but Keith's mumbling nowhere melodically lyrics are amazingly bad.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:24

[new.uk.music.yahoo.com]

"In fact best to deal with that straight away, for the biggest selling album of the week is extraordinarily not one of the big new releases by some up to date artists, but instead an album which is no less than 38 years old this month. 'Exile On Main St.' is the disc in question, the tenth album released by the Rolling Stones and home to the Top 10 hit single 'Tumbling Dice'. First released in June 1972, the album shot straight to Number One, although its chart life was short lived and it dropped off the listings for the final time in late September. The occasion of 'Exile On Main St.'s chart return is a brand new remastered version which adds 10 new tracks and features alternate takes of two more. To general amazement the album has outsold everything else on the market this week to take a masterful turn at the top of the charts.

Needless to say this shatters all manner of chart records. Never before has an album returned to Number One almost 38 years after it was last at that position, and never before has any act re-released one of their old collections more or less intact and seen it storm the charts in the manner it did when first recorded. Not even the arrival of the CD era in the 80s and the non stop appearance of newly mastered versions of classic albums managed to produce a golden oldie Number One. What the Rolling Stones have done here is a genuine chart first."

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:31

Monday 24th May 2010

[news.bbc.co.uk]

[www.independent.co.uk]

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

[www.mirror.co.uk]

plus no doubt lots of other places as well ............

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: Official: Exile re-enters at #1 in U.K. after 38 years (Sales on Page 3)
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:33

From Music Week:

"The battle for artist album chart honours was an intriguing one this week, pitching the repackaged Rolling Stones classic Exile On Main Street against Faithless’ new set, The Dance.

The Stones took an early lead but their advantage was whittled away to the extent that it looked as though it would be the third time in a row they would have had a midweek sales advantage overturned and end as runners-up in less than eight years, replicating the fate of 2002's Forty Licks and their last studio album, 2005’s A Bigger Bang.

In the end, however, the Stones prevailed, with Exile On Main Street racking up sales of 31,287, over a thousand more than The Dance.

It’s the album’s first appearance in the chart since 1972 when, as a double vinyl set, it reached number one in a 16-week stay on the list. That is a much shorter chart run than many of the band’s other albums but even before its upgrade it was by far the most popular album in the band’s catalogue, outselling nearest challenger Sticky Fingers by 25% in the 16 years of the Millward Brown/OCC era.

Faithless topped the chart with fourth studio album No Roots in 2004, and returned to the summit the following year with Forever Faithless: The Greatest Hits. However, their subsequent album To All New Arrivals, peaked at a lowly number 30, precipitating the band’s departure from Sony – but that album was released at the end of November so its sales on that first week, despite its poor chart performance, were 28,198 – just 6.04% less than the 29,901 copes that The Dance sold last week.

Debuting at number two, The Dance is the first release on Faithless’ own label Nate’s Tune – named after a two minute instrumental on To All New Arrivals – and comes hot on the heels of first single, Not Going Home, which debuted and peaked at number 42 a fortnight ago.

LCD Soundsystem achieve their best chart placing to date, debuting at number seven (13,224 sales) with new album This Is Happening, easily besting the number 20 peak of the New York dance/punk act’s self-titled 2005 debut.

Debuting even more strongly, German rock ‘n’ roll revivalists The Baseballs enter at number four (18,212 sales) with their first album Strike!, which has been a hit over much of Europe. The album features tongue-in-cheek retro style versions of contemporary hits like Umbrella, Don’t Cha and Bleeding Love.

After debuting last week at number one, Keane’s Night Train crashes to number six (13,934 sales)."

SUMMARY ALBUMS

01 Rolling Stones (31,287)
02 Faithless (29,901)
04 Baseballs (18,212)
05 Lady GaGa (15,808)
06 Keane (13,934)
07 LCD Soundsystem (13,224)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-24 12:34 by georgelicks.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:41

Excellent!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:51

Wow, I am really happy and impressed. I didn't expect that at all. Shame is that I still don't have my copy - it still didn't get to our local store. At least I will help to keep he high sales a bit longer :-) I hope it is a big big encouragement for the Stones and we wil see some action soon.

Re: Official: Exile re-enters at #1 in U.K. after 38 years (Sales on Page 3)smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 24, 2010 12:56

Now prepare for some more outtakes on other re-releases smiling bouncing smiley

Date: May 24, 2010 13:08

Quite amazing really.

In the UK

#1 albums - 12 (11 studio; 1 live)
#2 albums - 10 (7 studio; 1 live; 2 compilation)
#3 albums - 6 (4 studio; 1 live; 1 compilation)
#4 albums - 4 (1 studio; 1 live; 2 compilation)

with 4 other top 10 jobbies totalling 36 top 10 LPs in the UK, 32 of which made the top 4.

Pretty bloody impressive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 06:43 by squando.

Date: May 24, 2010 14:03

In fact, baby, it's 56 years and 1 month...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2010 14:06

Beelyboy
Gazza
James Kirk
Happy Times!!!

Hat's off to the GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD!

If someone had told you in 1964 that the Stones would have the #1 album in 2010 you would have thought they were nuts,

Unless it was a posthumous release.

Amazing achievement - even more amazing that it was a reissue of an album which wasnt even one of the biggest sellers to begin with.

First act ever to have number 1's in FIVE decades, I believe.

don't know bout the sales figures in '72 but it was a number one album in 1972.

It was, but compared to Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, Tattoo You and even Voodoo Lounge its nowhere near their best selling album.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 24, 2010 15:30

I read that last week in the US the No 1 was the poorest selling number one of all time.

Considering the way the promotional wheels have been turning it's no surprise is it?

Next week?

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: May 24, 2010 15:48

Great news!! Wooo hooooo smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2010 17:25

THE ROLLING STONES: ENGLAND'S NEWEST HITMAKERS! grinning smiley

Is America ready for them?

- Doxa

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 17:33

Just the greatest band in the world!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home