Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Official: Exile re enters at #1 in U.K. after 38 years
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:24

How does Exile stands against other Stones Albums on overall sales?
Has this second push made it one of their best selling albums ever?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:54

SATISFACTION!

You CAN always get what you want!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:55

MKjan
Yes!! and this has to also mean there will be some people listening to these great songs for the first time....

Or that we've all just bought it for about the 5th time each :-)

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:58

Doxa
It is really a long time since I listened to an album that happened to be a number one in UK charts...tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Ha-ha, same as me. They did a great job promoting this album and this is the result.Of course other then being their best album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:04

ChefGuevara
How does Exile stands against other Stones Albums on overall sales?
Has this second push made it one of their best selling albums ever?

Absolutely nowhere near the top.

Plus, dont forget that it takes a lot less sales to top the charts in 2010 than it did in the 70s. Record sales are in the toilet all over.

And we're talking one week's chart position. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be selling in large numbers for several weeks or months. There's been a few months of hype and promotion pushing this - thats obviously going to tail off pretty soon.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:05

great news! I wanted to buy THe deluxe-version in my hometown yesterday---sold out!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:42

Great! Great news for symbolical reasons…

I mean, actually, charts peak positions aren't a clear figure as for the level of the sales. Peak positions are depending on the conditions of every week. "Some Girls" went to #2 on UK chart, "Voodoo Lounge" went to #1, but i suppose "SG" did better than "VL" in british market, as anywhere else. But, as i said, there is a CLEAR symbolical importance here.

At the prospect of a new studio album, i think Universal can do very good job. Look what happened to ABB, which IMO is a good album: ABB has sold well everywhere except USA. Despite the comparatively poor sales in the USA, the album spent two weeks at #1 and four of five weeks (i can’t remember the exact number) on top 10 of the Global Chart. As we know, USA is the capital of the marketing. Without a decent marketing, good sales is unfeasible there. And Virgin’s “marketing” was really bad....

Anyway, speaking about peak positions on charts, maybe “Exile” offers the first #1 since 1994, but all the Stones studio albums since 1981 had a position on top 5 and that means stability. And my question is why the hell do industry count only UK and USA charts, considering as secondary market for example Germany, the biggest european country, where the Sones have #1 almost always? Heeee….????

Georgelicks, what about Exile on Global Chart?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:51

[news.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:01

Great stuff!

I really hope Mick and keith now realise that there is a strong market out there for a proper re-issue series,even if the numbers aren't as big as this one.I didn't buy last years re-issues but bought this one without hesitation and i would imagine there are thousands like me.It isn't rocket science.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:01

So that means the Stones have had number one albums in each decade of their existence in the UK because 2010 is the last year of the first decade of the Twenty Hundreds. 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s - FIVE decades in a row with at least one number one album on the charts.

Not so for the United States - last #1 being Tattoo You in 1981. But whatever. No matter what - it's @#$%& cool!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:31

great news

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:37

Gazza
Yes, indeed.

Right Mick, we did our bit - now you do yours.

Back to the vaults tomorrow morning with ya!

Nah, it is time for a new album. Ofcourse we are all happy about Exile being nr 1 in UK, but, as some one pointed out earlier, the Stones have hit the nr 1 spot allover the world with their latest studio albums (Babylon, Bigger Bang) incl the nr 1 spot on the worldwide album charts with Bigger Bang. The going back to the Get Yer vaults didn't do much. And to be a real party boober, Plundered My soul hit the nr 3 in the Dutch charts, but was out of the charts only two weeks later. And i wouldn't be surprised if Exile goes the same way, nr 1 this week and gone out of the charts within two to three weeks. Now, if Exile will remain on the 1 spot for many weeks to come, and some months in the charts as a whole, you may have a point, but untill such time we will have to waite and see.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:43

Such a great achievement. And I'm proud it's in their own country where they are supposed not to have their main fan base these days!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:47

Behroez, an album from 1972 cannot be "monster" seller in 2010. But the sucess is ALREADY big...

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:54

stickydion
Behroez, an album from 1972 cannot be "monster" seller in 2010. But the sucess is ALREADY big...

I agree, but that doesn't take away anything from what i wrote earlier as a specific response to a specific remark.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:57

James Kirk
Happy Times!!!

Hat's off to the GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD!

If someone had told you in 1964 that the Stones would have the #1 album in 2010 you would have thought they were nuts,
The Stones would have thought any saying that was nuts! Remember when they started out that the didn't expect to be around but for a few years...

Date: May 24, 2010 01:23

behroez
Gazza
Yes, indeed.

Nah, it is time for a new album. Ofcourse we are all happy about Exile being nr 1 in UK, but, as some one pointed out earlier, the Stones have hit the nr 1 spot allover the world with their latest studio albums (Babylon, Bigger Bang) incl the nr 1 spot on the worldwide album charts with Bigger Bang. The going back to the Get Yer vaults didn't do much. And to be a real party boober, Plundered My soul hit the nr 3 in the Dutch charts, but was out of the charts only two weeks later. And i wouldn't be surprised if Exile goes the same way, nr 1 this week and gone out of the charts within two to three weeks. Now, if Exile will remain on the 1 spot for many weeks to come, and some months in the charts as a whole, you may have a point, but untill such time we will have to waite and see.

It was a boxed set. Hardly likely to have huge sales.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 01:31

I did not buy the Ya Ya's box.....too expensive for me.

Mark McCabe
Herndon, VA
USA

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 24, 2010 01:37

somehow, I feel proud, pretty strange, haven't had that feeling for a while.
Watching bbc 1 right now

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2010 01:45

behroez
Gazza
Yes, indeed.

In one of his first interviews concerning EXILE, Jagger said that there would not be money in this kind of project but in order to make some others he wanted it still "do well enough" (or something to the effect). I would say that so far the success of EXILE has surprised all the expectations Jagger and co. ever had or hoped; their back catalog has sold awfully in recent years, and I don't think anyone could have assumed that a re-issue - even with a heavy promotion - could sell anything like a new album. And now, they have a number one - their first in their homeland for 16 years - and we know how much Jagger just LOVES numbers ones.

I think what is the most promising aspect here is the proof that there actually is money in these kind of re-issue/vaults projects (if they are done properly). Perhaps EXILE will not sell as much as A BIGGER BANG did worldwide but I think Jagger might think twice if to bother to make another solo album that will have trouble to make Top Forty or try to do one more Rolling Stones pastishe album from the scratch - and needing to cope with Keith - with which he seems to bored even before it is released. At least he has now new options.

Hitting #1, selling nicely and gathering glory and attention = I take that that to be the very language Mick Jagger understands...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-24 01:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 24, 2010 01:56

doubt if there is much in the way of a new audience though. the kids - and i mean anyone 25 or younger aren't buying albums period. i know - i got three between 20-25 and they are all music fans, and the last time any of them bought a cd was during the johnson administration, i think. andrew johnson.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 24, 2010 02:18

good post doxa

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 24, 2010 02:24

Rolling Hansie
#2 In Holland at Dutchcharts Album Top 100.
[www.dutchcharts.nl]
Who is Caro Emerald and what are these Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor?
And if they were deleted, what are they doing taking up the place that rightfully belongs to Exile?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:37

bbc: [news.bbc.co.uk]

the independant: EOMS Stones' first #1 in 16 years

"It was "quite easy, really" to record while on drugs, Jagger said. "It can be done. But I'm not saying it's really great to smoke pot and sing."

The Rolling Stones have now had 12 UK number one albums, including their 1970 live record, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! Last night's album success is the band's first such achievement since 1994's Voodoo Lounge. The Stones have released 22 studio albums in the UK, the most recent of which, A Bigger Bang, peaked at number two."

Date: May 24, 2010 03:47

Doxa
behroez
Gazza
Yes, indeed.

In one of his first interviews concerning EXILE, Jagger said that there would not be money in this kind of project but in order to make some others he wanted it still "do well enough" (or something to the effect)..
I would say that so far the success of EXILE has surprised all the expectations Jagger and co. ever had or hoped; their back catalog has sold awfully in recent years, and I don't think anyone could have assumed that a re-issue - even with a heavy promotion - could sell anything like a new album. And now, they have a number one - their first in their homeland for 16 years - and we know how much Jagger just LOVES numbers ones
I think what is the most promising aspect here is the proof that there actually is money in these kind of re-issue/vaults projects (if they are done properly). Perhaps EXILE will not sell as much as A BIGGER BANG did worldwide but I think Jagger might think twice if to bother to make another solo album that will have trouble to make Top Forty or try to do one more Rolling Stones pastishe album from the scratch - and needing to cope with Keith - with which he seems to bored even before it is released. At least he has now new options.

Hitting #1, selling nicely and gathering glory and attention = I take that that to be the very language Mick Jagger understands...

- Doxa

"Let's see how well this one does, shall we? If it does shit, I'm not going through all this again..." - Mick Jagger, early 2010.

Over to you, Mick.

Date: May 24, 2010 03:50

Gazza
Doxa
behroez
Gazza
Yes, indeed.

In one of his first interviews concerning EXILE, Jagger said that there would not be money in this kind of project but in order to make some others he wanted it still "do well enough" (or something to the effect)..
I would say that so far the success of EXILE has surprised all the expectations Jagger and co. ever had or hoped; their back catalog has sold awfully in recent years, and I don't think anyone could have assumed that a re-issue - even with a heavy promotion - could sell anything like a new album. And now, they have a number one - their first in their homeland for 16 years - and we know how much Jagger just LOVES numbers ones

- Doxa

"Let's see how well this one does, shall we? If it does shit, I'm not going through all this again..." - Mick Jagger, early 2010.

Over to you, Mick.

he doesn't have to go thru anything. let don was have at the '77 sessions and stay away from the studio. this would be a good time to have laryngitis, mick. please.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:53

What's next Mick? Sticky Fingers or Some Girls?

ok, not really important - just start it!

Date: May 24, 2010 03:55

behroez
Gazza
Yes, indeed.

Nah, it is time for a new album. Ofcourse we are all happy about Exile being nr 1 in UK, but, as some one pointed out earlier, the Stones have hit the nr 1 spot allover the world with their latest studio albums (Babylon, Bigger Bang) incl the nr 1 spot on the worldwide album charts with Bigger Bang. .

How on earth can you equate the magnitude of achieving a number 1 album with a 38 year old REISSUE with NO concerts or live performances whatsoever to promote the product with a number 1 studio album released to coincide with what was at the time on each occasion the biggest tour in history?

Absolutely no comparison whatsover. If the Stones release a studio album, then go on the road playing songs from it to around SIX MILLION people, then theres absolutely NO reason why it shouldnt be topping the charts. Especially in the US, which is where they always tour when the record is first released.

Fantastic bit of promotional work by Universal once they were finally given a product they were able to get behind properly. Shows EMI up for the underachieving amateurs that they are. No wonder their company is up shit creek without a paddle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-24 03:56 by Gazza.

Date: May 24, 2010 03:58

StonesTod
Gazza
Doxa
behroez
Gazza
Yes, indeed.

- Doxa

Over to you, Mick.

he doesn't have to go thru anything. let don was have at the '77 sessions and stay away from the studio. this would be a good time to have laryngitis, mick. please.

I agree.

Dont think he'll need to do anything with most future reissues. Exile was an 'expanded' release of sorts already, so the number of bonafide releasable leftovers was probably minimal.

Date: May 24, 2010 04:01

normally i don't wish illness upon ppl, but this is for the greater good.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home