Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme Shelter live in 2003
Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 23:44

Listenig to the version of Gimme Shelter from the Twickenham Show out of the Four Flicks DVD, it brought me good memories of the Licks Tour. I remember being in a show and when the band was returning from the B-Stage, this atmospheric music starts to sound, mostly keyboard and piano.

As the band member were arriving they just continued playing it and it turned out to be Gimme Shelter. Although I missed the classic guitar intro, the song worked and they nailed it. A great gig that one, one of the bests I've been to.

So the thing is, this version will never top the one with the well known guitar intro by Keith but... I kinda like it.

At least it was something really different and fresh in an oldie, quite a surprise coming from the Stones.

Maybe it's sacrilegous for most of you, maybe you like it. I'm just curious about your thoughts on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-28 23:45 by milio77.

Re: Gimme Shelter live in 2003
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:06

They nailed it? In order to NAIL this song, you need to PLAY guitar...Absolutely worst version EVER. Bass, keyboard and drums...and a Lisa Fisher that blows Mick off the stage. Embarrising is the word!!!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:25

I agree, this version is unlistenable. What the hell are they doing instead of playing their guitars. Bjorn is right, this is the worst version ever , it`s so lame and emberassing...and they chosed it as an official version. Sometimes you don`t know what`s going on in their heads. This is an perfect example for a piece of music that really needs overdubs!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:31

electricmud
I agree, this version is unlistenable. What the hell are they doing instead of playing their guitars. Bjorn is right, this is the worst version ever , it`s so lame and emberassing...and they chosed it as an official version. Sometimes you don`t know what`s going on in their heads. This is an perfect example for a piece of music that really needs overdubs!

But how do you know that it wasn´t overdubbed ?

I like the MSG version January 18th 03 very much.
Such a shame it didn´t make it on Four Flicks.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:35

well, in this case I mean much more overdubs!

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:37

Bjorn
They nailed it? In order to NAIL this song, you need to PLAY guitar...Absolutely worst version EVER. Bass, keyboard and drums...and a Lisa Fisher that blows Mick off the stage. Embarrising is the word!!!
word

Date: July 29, 2009 00:52

electricmud
Agree,which consequently means: should´ve been better dropped out instead presenting
such a poor performance on the Four Flicks DVD set.
Leads to the conclusion that the Twickenham show was regarded as relative weak anyway represented with a small 16 track set (incl. Gimme Shelter ),MSG with 18,Paris 19.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2009 01:10

The only good thing about that version is that I can JUST about see myself taking a photo of the band coming back from the b-stage - just after Keith tries to kick Woody up the arse at about 0:43 and again around 0:50 just before it zooms in on Lisa singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 01:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2009 01:14

shortfatfanny
electricmud
Agree,which consequently means: should´ve been better dropped out instead presenting
such a poor performance on the Four Flicks DVD set.
Leads to the conclusion that the Twickenham show was regarded as relative weak anyway represented with a small 16 track set (incl. Gimme Shelter ),MSG with 18,Paris 19.

I think its more a reflection on them trying to minimise the amount of songs being duplicated, myself - and thats more likely to be the case on the stadium setlists on that tour

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 19:12

Bjorn

Well I wasn't at the Twickenham show, I was at the Madrid one. I recognize they played it much better in Madrid.

Anyway, it seems there opinions are quite unanimous against this live version.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 19:17

Gimme Shelter in '97 was one of highlights of that show for me. I didn't know the song before that concert, and I can still remember being completely blown away at how well Lisa sang her part. I do believe she's since lost a bit of her range, but damn, she was ON FIRE that night!!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:52

Bein' an ol' conneiseur of Gimme Shelter, I have now listened to this rendition quite a few times.
I still can't decide whether I like or not. Will return to the issue.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 29, 2009 23:35

I don't like this version at all!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 30, 2009 00:32

I love the song Gimme Shelter and (just for clarity) I really enjoy the current version of the band. However,the versions of Gimme Shelter they've offered over the last 10-15 years just don't do it for me.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:00

Come on - it's not that bad - even the guitars. Heard better. heard worse.

The drums do get on my nerves towards the end - a bit tired and automated/robotic.

And the link from B-stage to main one was 'cool'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 02:18 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: July 30, 2009 01:40

Agree basically with Four Stone Walls.
Yet the intro is approachin' the earlier renditions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 01:40 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:44

not a great version to me..just SLEEPY..needs more powerrrr

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 30, 2009 02:06

I like it! But it was better in Copenhagen 2003. The intro is gr8 too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 30, 2009 02:24

was that the only 03 show that they played it that way? I was at Giants stadium 02 and i seem to remember it being played sort of like the twick version, cant remember for sure i have to check the boot

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:43

<<But it was better in Copenhagen 2003>>

Not saying much imo. I thought the Cph version was dull and lifeless. Stood in stark constrast to the Respectable/Just Wanna Make Love To You/Street Fighting Man run at the b-stage, which was performed with such conviction and commitment

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: July 30, 2009 06:09

I actually like the music . . . anything to re-work a warhoarse, i will take. BUT for me its unlistenable because of Jagger's singing . . . absolutely terrible, HE can't sing his own songs! I can't beleive i'm saying it. Christ sakes, i'd take the '81 Jagger vocal over this weird accented off key crap.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 30, 2009 10:58

melillo
was that the only 03 show that they played it that way? I was at Giants stadium 02 and i seem to remember it being played sort of like the twick version, cant remember for sure i have to check the boot

This was the standard arrangement for Gimme Shelter at stadium shows on the Licks tour. As the band returned from the b-stage.

Posted by: k ()
Date: July 30, 2009 11:33

I like it a lot. Just the 0:54 mark makes the song for me.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 30, 2009 19:31

One thing's for sure...they've disrespected the song by having the loop play in the beginning and then completely skipping a proper guitar intro for it.

Date: July 30, 2009 23:47

NorthShoreBlues2
I actually like the music . . . anything to re-work a warhoarse, i will take. BUT for me its unlistenable because of Jagger's singing . . . absolutely terrible, HE can't sing his own songs! I can't beleive i'm saying it. Christ sakes, i'd take the '81 Jagger vocal over this weird accented off key crap.

Errr.. GS is Keef's song.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 04:18

Baboon Bro
NorthShoreBlues2

Errr.. GS is Keef's song.

Indeed it is a keith song, what part of my rant caused you to state this? Is it "can't sing his own songs"? Christ sake dude, you know what i meant, its his singing of gimme shelter (yeah, we all know its written by Keith).

Point being his singing has changed dramatically since '89. Sometimes i don't mind it, but for me i haven't fully enjoyed his singing in a long time. Kinda sucks when your favorite band's singer doesn't do it for you anymore . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-31 04:19 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: July 31, 2009 04:36

BLASPHEMY! Mick's voice is the best thing about the band these days!

Date: July 31, 2009 12:40

That's an OK version. Nothing more, nothing less. And yes, they are playing guitars here winking smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 31, 2009 12:53

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-18 20:47 by UrbanSteel.

Date: July 31, 2009 13:07

Thanks Urban,one cannot get enough Shelter...
And I agree with you,the Bremen 98 version is absolute faboulus as the Paradiso
one for sure.

Still searching for that MSG Jan 18th 2003 one...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home