Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: Fool To Cry
Posted by: René ()
Date: May 17, 2010 10:25

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Fool To Cry
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Musicland Studios, Munich, West-Germany, December 12 & 15, 1974 &
March 22 - April 4, 1975, Mountain Recording Studios, Montreux, Switserland,
October 19 - November 29, 1975 and Musicland Studios, Munich, West-Germany,
December 3 - 16, 1975

Mick Jagger - vocals, electric piano
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Wayne Perkins - electric guitar
Nicky Hopkins - piano, string synthesizer

When I come home, baby and I've been working all night long
I put my daughter on my knee and she said: Daddy, what's wrong?
She whispered in my ear so sweet, you know what she said, she said:
Ooh, daddy you're a fool to cry, you're a fool to cry and it makes me wonder why
Daddy, you’re a fool

You know, I got a woman and she live in the poor part of town
And I go see her sometimes and we make love so fine
I put my head on her shoulder, she said: Tell me all your troubles
You know what she said, she said:
Ooh, daddy you're a fool to cry, you're a fool to cry and it makes me wonder why
Daddy, you’re a fool to cry, oh, I love you so much baby, daddy, you’re a fool to cry
If you want to sigh sometime, yeah, yeah, she said: Oh, daddy you're a fool to cry
You're a fool to cry and it makes me wonder why
She said: Ooh ooh, daddy you're a fool to cry, ooh ooh, daddy you're a fool to cry
Ooh ooh, daddy you're a fool to cry, ooh ooh, daddy you're a fool to cry

Even my friends say to me sometimes and make out like I don't understand them
You know what they say, they say:
Why, why, I'm a fool baby, yeah, yeah, I'm a fool babe, yeah, yeah
I'm a certified fool babe, yeah, yeah…

Produced by The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Fool To Cry / Hot Stuff” 7” single
(Rolling Stones Records RS 19304) US, April 8, 1976

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 18:31 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Fool To Cry
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 17, 2010 10:45

One of their worst so far...sad smiley

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 13:07

I disagree..One of my personalfavorite Light Rock Stones songs...Its this diversiy that makes the Stones so great....There's nothing worse than a one trick pony!

Charlie

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 13:38

Great R and B from The Stones.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: May 17, 2010 13:40

My favorite "slow" song!

-TomR

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: May 17, 2010 14:12

One of my favourites, a beautifully poignant song.The ending coda just floods you with emotion.The whole band at its best.It's a shame that this brilliant song is so underrated due to some people deeming it too soft for The Stones.I mean, just listen to those fantastic Jagger's exclamations near the end of the song.It's one of the best moments in The Stones' history.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 17, 2010 14:35

A lovely song and one that worked really well for them on their European tour in 76 as it created a great dynamic between the r'n'b bluster of Ain't Too Proud To Beg and the all out funk of Hot Stuff.

The song is one of the first where Jagger bears his soul for all to see - here we get a different kind of Mick to the usual cocksure womaniser. Here's upset, hurtin' and it's more than likely that he knows the end has come for his marriage to Bianca. Little Jade is the daughter on his knee and it's a very touching scenario.

There's some really beautiful guitar playing on it too - not sure if it's Keith or Wayne but really emotive wailing. Yes, definitely one of their best slow songs.

You can also just picture this scene being played out in New York - perhaps in an appartment with one of those West Side Story type outside staircases, Mick looking wistfully at the moon as he reflects. And the last verse is said in that same New York voice that we get in Fingerprint File, Heartbreaker, and Shattered. It conjures up some great images.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 17, 2010 14:42

Was Fool to cry the first song ever that Mick played an instrument on on stage?

(Not counting the harmonica and all sorts of percussions, of course).

Date: May 17, 2010 15:10

marcovandereijk

Almost certainly. I know that he played a guitar at some Danish gig rehearsal in 1970 but 99 per cent sure the string synth was his first live instrument.

Date: May 17, 2010 15:42

I think that Black and Blue was one of their most crucial albums in the sense that they completely reinvented themselves with that album.After Exile and Goat's head they seemed to have nowhere else to go.After very weak IORR which is more or less Stones by numbers without much excitement to most of the tracks, Black and Blue was like a breath of fresh air.It wasn't an album which could be taken as seriously as Exile or Let it Bleed but the band sounded fresh and relaxed as if the whole point of the record was just to go out there and have fun disregarding what the final results might be.As such the results are quite satisfactory with couple of tunes being the pinnacle of their post-Exile work.I don't think that Some Girls is a better album.It was just more focused.If the band had been just slightly more focused when recording Black and Blue they would have included songs like Worried about you and Slave and the record would have been a near masterpiece for it

Date: May 17, 2010 16:32

stones_serb
I think that Black and Blue was one of their most crucial albums in the sense that they completely reinvented themselves with that album.After Exile and Goat's head they seemed to have nowhere else to go.After very weak IORR which is more or less Stones by numbers without much excitement to most of the tracks, Black and Blue was like a breath of fresh air.It wasn't an album which could be taken as seriously as Exile or Let it Bleed but the band sounded fresh and relaxed as if the whole point of the record was just to go out there and have fun disregarding what the final results might be.As such the results are quite satisfactory with couple of tunes being the pinnacle of their post-Exile work.I don't think that Some Girls is a better album.It was just more focused.If the band had been just slightly more focused when recording Black and Blue they would have included songs like Worried about you and Slave and the record would have been a near masterpiece for it

Great review of Black And Blue stones_serb. With you on that one

Date: May 17, 2010 16:47

Silver Dagger
stones_serb

Great review of Black And Blue stones_serb. With you on that one

Thanks, Dagger.I know that many share my opinion.In contrast, some fans are dismissive of this great record and in a way I can understand that.To be fair The Stones could never reach the same heights as they did with the great four and that seems to bother a lot of loyal fans.The truth is there is only a handful of artists who could record something as remotely great as those four stunning masterpieces.Seeing things that way one shouldn't dismiss post -Exile work just because it doesn't live up to the golden standard set by the The Stones themselves and few others.Just enjoy music for what it is and Black and Blue is one helluva record.

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:48

Mick played guitar on Fingerprint File in 1975

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 17, 2010 20:17

I always find it irritating that the chorus continues with the "daddy". For the woman and the friends it should be "baby", maybe. And not "daddy". If this was changed it would be a great song.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 17, 2010 21:03

always a fave of mine - one of the first that really hooked me on the band....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2010 21:08

Prefer Memory Motel, but still think this is a good track.
I agree with the overall Black & Blue assessments as well...

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 22:51

soulsurvivor1
I disagree..One of my personal favorite Light Rock Stones songs...Its this diversity that makes the Stones so great....There's nothing worse than a one trick pony!

Charlie

I 100% concur. Fantastic story/song. It is one of those tunes that on the one hand is firmly planted in the mid-70s, but on the other hand it doesn't sound the least bit dated. Classic.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 17, 2010 22:52

I like it...in fact I like Black & Blue generally, it is nothing near the quality of the likes of EOMS, LIB,BB, SF, but some great songs and it needs to be heard in it's mid 70's context against the disco zeitgeist. Interestingly, Fool to Cry is one of Keith's most hated stones songs and he actually fell asleep playing the solo on stage...he really does not like it - trust me!

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 17, 2010 23:04

Great song from an album that is generally under-appreciated. Stones-serb is on the money with his comments.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 17, 2010 23:07

>> he actually fell asleep [during the number] on stage <<

yeah (although you exaggerated a little - it wasn't really during his solo! eye popping smiley)
he also played somethin just fiercely beautiful on it at Les Abattoirs on 6.6.76
for Tara i imagine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 20:16 by with sssoul.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 17, 2010 23:11

with sssoul
...for Tara i imagine

Poor little baby, so sad.

Have to admit, I don't particularly care for this song. I usually skip over it. Haven't heard it in years.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 18, 2010 00:00

That is true...Les Abbatoirs was my first stones gig, and he played his heart out that night.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 18, 2010 03:52

Silver Dagger
marcovandereijk

Almost certainly. I know that he played a guitar at some Danish gig rehearsal in 1970 but 99 per cent sure the string synth was his first live instrument.

Mick used a Hohner Clavinet on Fool To Cry live in 1976, Billy Preston played ARP Solina String Ensemble synthesizer and Hammond organ.

I feel I shouldn't like Fool To Cry, but for some reason I do.

The classic 76 performance...

thumbs up

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 18, 2010 04:13

I have always liked this song. The last 45 seconds or so are very memorable.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:07

His Majesty

I feel I shouldn't like Fool To Cry, but for some reason I do.

Me too. Very untypical Stones (although that doesn't bother me the way it does some people) and Mick doing one of his most mannered and artificial vocals (which sometimes does spoil a song for me). Soul is not one of my favourites among the many genres this band uses, and I'm not that fond of synths and the Hammond organ - but in spite of all the things I think I'm not going to like, if I do hear it, it works, and I usually find myself singing the chorus for ages afterwards.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:07

Good Song. I liked it immediately when it came out...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:09

Without any doubt the weakest track on Black and Blue and a disappointment after a great ballad like Angie. I dislike the falsetto voice of MJ in general, the composition lacks structure and momentum,it's quite simply boring. Otherwise the album is good (Melody, Cherry Oh Baby, Hot Stuff, Crazy Mama) or great (Hey Negrita, Memory Motel, Hand of Fate). The Stones are well versed in the art to release the weakest track a single (e.g. Miss You from Some Girls).

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:13

agreed no doubt the weakest on black and blue but also i think one of the worst ever, i cant stand that song.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:50

Better than that horrid Hot Stuff, cannot stand that shite! grinning smiley

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:02

love it! Great slow-jam track, with an irresistible chorus, elegant keyboards by mick, and tasty guitar from keith.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home