Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Fool To Cry
Date: June 19, 2017 11:17

Nice chords, nice vibe, great single.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 19, 2017 12:48

Fool to Cry is a baby song for infants.

Date: June 19, 2017 12:52

Chris Fountain
Fool to Cry is a baby song for infants.

No, it's a heartfelt song for daddies.

Date: June 19, 2017 13:00

If it is such a great song then why don't they play it in concert? As a Warhorse?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 13:05

Well you could say the same thing about other great songs such as Rocks Off, Monkey Man, Let It Loose etc. That's really not an argument...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2017 13:05

If it is such a great song then why don't they play it in concert? As a Warhorse

In case there's a riot ..... ... They don't want the security guys tearin' up big time

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 13:06 by Rockman.

Date: June 19, 2017 13:08

Chris Fountain
If it is such a great song then why don't they play it in concert? As a Warhorse?

I think you missed the humour intended here, but they do play it now and again. It's probably a bit hard for Mick to sing, though.

Regarding warhorses, I don't think they ever had a ballad in the warhorse-section. Nor have they played Back Street Girl, Let It Loose, Heaven or other great ballads even once in concert - so who knows why?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 13:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 13:17

It would have been a great song with real lyrics and a better string arrangement with real strings.

I just like their mid-seventies ballads with the E-piano like on Worried and Memory.

Date: June 19, 2017 13:23

Rockman
If it is such a great song then why don't they play it in concert? As a Warhorse

In case there's a riot ..... ... They don't want the security guys tearin' up big time

As usual very funny. However, I think for this tour - they should be totally unpredictable in selection of songs. Why not? 1981 tour was great even Voodoo Lounge or Four Licks- I like when they mix it up. They did not do it last tour.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 13:38

I'm fairly sure the 'Keith falling asleep whilst playing this song live story' allegedly happened at a show in Germany in 1976, only a couple of months after it was released as a single. Stuttgart or Frankfurt springs to mind. Can any of our German IORRians confirm ? I'm sure one of us was present if this really did happen.

The story I heard was that he stumbled on his wah-wah pedal and he woke back up again very quickly grinning smiley

FWIW I've never really personally 'got' this song but Mick sang it with real emotion so it's obviously very heartfelt.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 19, 2017 13:42

wandering spirit
way too long, in my humble opinionsmiling smiley))

The extra 2-3 minutes could make a difference when it comes to a slow dance at a school party. With some girls you had to take your time...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 19, 2017 17:00

stonehearted
Witness
I am another to be counted among those who do like "Fool to Cry".
Yes, count me in as well, I've always liked it. No reason, I always just liked it.

It's probably the first time where Mick Jagger sounds like an actual grownup on record, probably for his daughter, years ahead of when John Lennon was singing his "Beautiful Boy" ballad to his son.

Even rock stars can be loving parents, too!

To me the song is not addressed to all fathers, though, only to one individual father, who sings about it.

The song would be much reduced, if I were to experience it as a "father song".

Date: June 19, 2017 17:03

Witness
stonehearted
Witness
I am another to be counted among those who do like "Fool to Cry".
Yes, count me in as well, I've always liked it. No reason, I always just liked it.

It's probably the first time where Mick Jagger sounds like an actual grownup on record, probably for his daughter, years ahead of when John Lennon was singing his "Beautiful Boy" ballad to his son.

Even rock stars can be loving parents, too!

To me the song is not addressed to all fathers, though, only to one individual father, who sings about it.

The song would be much reduced, if I were to experience it as a "father song".

As a father, one might recognise some of the feelings Mick conveys in this song, though. That's perhaps what Stonehearted meant. He may have a heart of stone, but I think he's onto something...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 19, 2017 17:20

"They don't want the security guys tearin' up big time"
weeping? Needing hankies? ;-)

And I thought it was 'Angie' that Keith fell asleep on? Isn't there a video of him nodding out on the lullaby? (no need to find and post it, thanks)

I don't see 'Fool to Cry' in a Fatherhood way.
To me, the lyrics are saying he's lonely, hurting,
and can't bridge it w/ the people in his life.
If he tries/ begins to,
met with 'you're a fool to cry, look at your life, should be grateful, not hurting'

Date: June 19, 2017 18:14

((Info below copied from website songfacts.com))

The Canadian duo Tegan and Sara covered this in 2013 for the soundtrack for the HBO drama Girls. Their version can be found on the album, Girls, Vol. 1 (Music From the HBO Original Series). "Lena Dunham (Girls creator and star) reached out about us doing a track for the soundtrack," Tegan told the Toronto Sun. "When she said which one we were going to do I went and listened to it. I was like, 'Oh my god, this is a nightmare! How are we going to do this? It's like he's talking, he's meandering.' I was like, 'What the f---?"

"In the end I loved doing it," she continued, "I thought it was so great. I haven't really listened to a lot of them other than the popular Rolling Stones songs but it was cool to get into a deep cut. And the response has been insane. These teenage girls are like, 'I love this song!' And I say, 'You're welcome, Rolling Stones. We just got you into another generation.'"

Date: June 19, 2017 18:47

No wonder they sold the 'who can use our songs' decision rights.
My God who wants to take the heat for making a wrong move/error decision?
(hello Trump) Girls, etc. And hundreds of offers to sift thru prolly.
Conversely I've had the delight of the off guard perfect fitting RS music or 'Trouble' Crosseyed Heart
notes come thru enhancing up to date present
Anyway, back to the salt mines here.
(ETA: my feel 'salt mine' work here may look like paradise to another who could say 'bitche, you're a fool to cry')
see?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 19:14 by 35love.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 19, 2017 20:59

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

I think you missed the humour intended here, but they do play it now and again. It's probably a bit hard for Mick to sing, though.

Regarding warhorses, I don't think they ever had a ballad in the warhorse-section. Nor have they played Back Street Girl, Let It Loose, Heaven or other great ballads even once in concert - so who knows why?

[www.youtube.com]

After 1976 itself (+El Mocambo) Fool To Cry was only played here: Copenhagen 95, Nijmegen 95 II, Toronto rehearsals 97, Winnipeg 97, Amsterdam 98 V, Pittsburgh 99, Philadelphia 99 II. That's six times in concert!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 21:02 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: June 19, 2017 21:59

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

[www.youtube.com]

After 1976 itself (+El Mocambo) Fool To Cry was only played here: Copenhagen 95, Nijmegen 95 II, Toronto rehearsals 97, Winnipeg 97, Amsterdam 98 V, Pittsburgh 99, Philadelphia 99 II. That's six times in concert!?

Sounds about right. That means they have played it 48 times more than Let It Loose and TWFNO in concert..

Date: June 19, 2017 22:07

I never counted the 1976 shows to be honest. Yes, it's not very likely that they will ever play Fool To Cry again in public, but it's still more likely than live appearances of the tracks mentioned. Maybe they will play TWFNO, but only if they close the show with The Last Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 22:48 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: June 19, 2017 22:07

TWFNO in concert?? When?

Date: June 19, 2017 22:13

TheflyingDutchman
TWFNO in concert?? When?

Read my post again smoking smiley

Date: June 19, 2017 22:57

Monsoon Ragoon
I never counted the 1976 shows to be honest. Yes, it's not very likely that they will ever play Fool To Cry again in public, but it's still more likely than live appearances of the tracks mentioned. Maybe they will play TWFNO, but only if they close the show with The Last Time.

I see your subtle joke, here.

Date: June 19, 2017 22:59

35love
Monsoon Ragoon

One More Try and One More Shot would be nice for the encore, then? winking smiley

Date: June 19, 2017 23:14

DandelionPowderman
35love
Monsoon Ragoon

One More Try and One More Shot would be nice for the encore, then? winking smiley

I have recently rediscovered One More Try, one of the official mid 60s tracks that are relatively unknown in Europe perhaps as it wasn't released on an European LP at the time. A real nice unique Rhythm and Blues track. But of course it's has no chance to be played live. They don't even play things like this in clubs.

Date: June 19, 2017 23:23

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
35love
Monsoon Ragoon

I have recently rediscovered One More Try, one of the official mid 60s tracks that are relatively unknown in Europe perhaps as it wasn't released on an European LP at the time. A real nice unique Rhythm and Blues track. But of course it's has no chance to be played live. They don't even play things like this in clubs.

Maybe Try A Little Harder, then?

Date: June 19, 2017 23:41

One More Try is good IMHO, Try A Little Harder is Oldham Orchestra bullshit.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 20, 2017 11:57

35love
Conversely I've had the delight of the off guard perfect fitting RS music or 'Trouble' Crosseyed Heart
(ETA: my feel 'salt mine' work here may look like paradise to another who could say 'bitche, you're a fool to cry')
see?

Uh, no I don't see. But thanks for mentioning Tegan and Sara's version which I naturally had to give a spin.

Verdict: unenhanced.
These fools excised the original’s slobbering cathartic ejaculatory ending. Wtf? What’s left is the equivalent of a chick flick.

Date: June 20, 2017 12:33

Swayed1967
35love
see?

Uh, no I don't see. But thanks for mentioning Tegan and Sara's version which I naturally had to give a spin.

Verdict: unenhanced.
These fools excised the original’s slobbering cathartic ejaculatory ending. Wtf? What’s left is the equivalent of a chick flick.

The HBO show 'Girls' was the equivalent of a chick flick, too.

Track Talk: Fool To Cry
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 7, 2023 23:53

The Rolling Stones - Fool to Cry (Official Lyric Video)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 8, 2023 14:43

I really liked the El Mocambo version with Billy Preston.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home