Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Following the River
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 20, 2010 05:00

I wish it could have had Mick Taylor providing a "river" of beautiful guitar to flow behind Jagger's vocals. Then it would be perfect. Not bad at all as is however.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: May 20, 2010 05:56

I was playing it on my computer when my friend was walking by . He goes " Is That Elton John " and he wasn't joking . He can't stand the Stones . But I'm a big Elton John Fan . Does this ring true with any other STONERS ?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 20, 2010 06:22

....yeah I hear the Elton vibe..not my favorite song..but I'll give it some more time to grow on me.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 20, 2010 09:56

This song shoul have been much better with some solo guitar licks between lyrics (just like PMS)

I am of the opinion that MJ sings much better every time...............
I wonder how many IOORians are patologically insatisfied with everything related with RS:
. RW is ............
. KR can't play guitar anymore, everytime he sings worse, everytime he is playin worse guitar licks.....
. MJs voice is...............
. This is not a band since the Vegas era.
. ABB souns so comppressed and digitally..............
. Chuc Leavell is.........
. MT was much better.....
. We miss B. Wyman.............

Maybe there is some truth in these, but i prefer to enjoy what i have. I prefer to have some new music from RS, i've always liked them. An i know (and we all know) that the gold era is faraway in the past.
I prefer to hear something new from RS than from any new group..........
Maybe it is better to follow Stasailor's or Coldplay's career (i think i should better spend my money in new Cristina Aguilera's album tahter than in the new EOMS)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 09:59

I think Mick's voice is fine on this one.

Date: May 20, 2010 10:06

PMS's is very very nice because Jagger's work

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 20, 2010 10:49

tumblingdice
I wish it could have had Mick Taylor providing a "river" of beautiful guitar to flow behind Jagger's vocals. Then it would be perfect. Not bad at all as is however.

Yeah, a meloncholic Winteresque guitar there... (but then it would have been less EXILE, more GOATS HEAD SOAP...)

- Doxa

Date: May 20, 2010 10:54

Winter's mellancholic atmosphere is unique!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't mind EOMS or GHS, the song is fine whereever you put it (put it into Dirty Work to improve the album)

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 20, 2010 11:13

Jaggers voice combined with gospel-style backing vocals always does it for me, and this one is no exception. Great. Agree though that some decent Taylor guitar could have lifted Following The River even higher because Taylor is usually simply breathtaking on melancholic stuff like this (see Winter, Time Waits For No One, Angie live versions in 1973 - whatever),

Then again, some Keith soloing could have totally destroyed it, so I am perfectly happy with it as it is.

Date: May 20, 2010 11:16

Sometimes KR's soloing is nice............ if he has a nice day

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 20, 2010 12:05

Doxa
tumblingdice

Yeah, a meloncholic Winteresque guitar there... (but then it would have been less EXILE, more GOATS HEAD SOAP...)

- Doxa

The Bonus CD has almost nothing to do with Exile anyway, thus: so what? A very undoxian way of thinking you use here, nota bene being Doxa himself!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 20, 2010 12:06

Sooo beautiful!!! Not often I listen to a song over and over again...but this one...amazing!!! I love it!!!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 20, 2010 13:36

Don Was mentions in the NPR interview that "Following..." had another title when he found the 6 minute version. Do we have any info on what it was called?

BTW, I like it a lot.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2010 13:38

according ta Mick ....The backing track ta Following The River was originally titled Wally’s Whistling Saw

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 20, 2010 13:52

Thanks!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: May 20, 2010 14:20

There's something I should tell you
Why don't you sit there in that chair
You're looking good today
I love the way your comb's tucked in your hair

My cards are on the table
but the drinks have all run out
There's been some other lads in this room with me
we're really quite a crowd
It's hard to break it gently
but I really thought it through
I don't think there's much future left
for me and you, me and you

I've been following the river
til it joins hands with the sea.
I've been thinking of you so bad
Cause you always saw the best in me

You'll probably forget me
and I'll fade back in the bar
Just a face disappearing without trace
I'll be lost, I'll be lost

One day I'll hear some laughter in a out-of-town cafe
I'll be reaching for your number
I'll be calling out your name
calling out your name

I've been following that river
gonna join hands with the sea
I've been thinking of ya all the time
Cause you always brought the best in me
I'll be following the river - oh my!
Till it spills out in the sea

When I first think about ya oh dear
(always brought the best in me)
I'll be following the river (yeah!)
Gonna join hands with the sea

Ah if I can't have ya
I'll be dreaming all about ya
I'll be following the river
gonna join hands with the sea

I'll be thinking about ya
cause you always brought the best in me

(Jagger/Richards)

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 20, 2010 14:36

This is a load of s****!

Every song is from the Exile era, so it has EVERYTHING to do with this album.

As for the bonuses: We have been constant craving for archive material for decades. People have expressed their wish of even hearing outtakes instead of a new album! Then something finally arrives and people hate it. Some fans always want to see things negatively!

"Just outtakes" someone said. Yes, exactly: Outtakes. What do people expect lying in the archives? A new "Brown Sugar"??? Forget it. The best of the lot is already out there, so enjoy these new tracks for what they are: Archival material!

By the way, further archive releases depends on how the fans react to this new release. If people can't keep their mouth shut for a while, then forget releases of Paris Sessions and so on.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 20, 2010 14:51

Blueranger
This is a load of s****!

Every song is from the Exile era, so it has EVERYTHING to do with this album.

As for the bonuses: We have been constant craving for archive material for decades. People have expressed their wish of even hearing outtakes instead of a new album! Then something finally arrives and people hate it. Some fans always want to see things negatively!

"Just outtakes" someone said. Yes, exactly: Outtakes. What do people expect lying in the archives? A new "Brown Sugar"??? Forget it. The best of the lot is already out there, so enjoy these new tracks for what they are: Archival material!

By the way, further archive releases depends on how the fans react to this new release. If people can't keep their mouth shut for a while, then forget releases of Paris Sessions and so on.

Don't be afraid, Blueranger. The Stones Company doesn't care about our opinions, whatever they are. Only the salesnumbers are decisive. And most of us, the critics included, have bought it. So no need to worry about these discussions and opinions here as for new releases of old material. The only possible effect of criticism could be that they'll do it better next time, provided that the salesnumbers satisfy them of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 17:26 by kleermaker.

Date: May 20, 2010 16:30

I'm happy to have some new RS music to buy this week
I do not mind if there are MT's overdubbes or if MJ's voice is........
I'll be happy anyway
Congratulations to everyone , we have another chance to enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!

Date: May 20, 2010 17:48

Strange that if a bootleg with For Your Precious Love appears people jump on the Stones, accusing them to make the wrong choices with the selection of material for their offocial albums (in this case, Steel Wheels), hailing songs like For Your Precious Love as "lost classics" -

- and when the Stones release stuff like "Following The River", it is slaughered as sounding like "Elton John".

What can the Stones learn from this? Keep outtakes officially unreleased, and if you want people to hear them, give them to bootleggers, because then your fans will like any stuff, no matter how half-baken and unfinished it may be.

Seems like outtakes on boots add considerably to the myth, while releasing them officially destroys it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 20, 2010 17:56

alimente
Strange that if a bootleg with For Your Precious Love appears people jump on the Stones, accusing them to make the wrong choices with the selection of material for their offocial albums (in this case, Steel Wheels), hailing songs like For Your Precious Love as "lost classics" -

- and when the Stones release stuff like "Following The River", it is slaughered as sounding like "Elton John".

What can the Stones learn from this? Keep outtakes officially unreleased, and if you want people to hear them, give them to bootleggers, because then your fans will like any stuff, no matter how half-baken and unfinished it may be.

Seems like outtakes on boots add considerably to the myth, while releasing them officially destroys it.

funny. maybe some of this is true - but actually, i was sorely disappointed in precious love when it first surfaced in '06....the myth didn't live up to its promise then.

Date: May 20, 2010 18:17

StonesTod
funny. maybe some of this is true - but actually, i was sorely disappointed in precious love when it first surfaced in '06....the myth didn't live up to its promise then.

Fair enough, theres obviously no rule without an exception.

Date: May 20, 2010 18:23

alimente
StonesTod

and i'm a big elton (70's) fan, too, so being "too elton" can be a good thing.

Date: May 20, 2010 18:36

StonesTod
alimente
StonesTod

and i'm a big elton (70's) fan, too, so being "too elton" can be a good thing.

you are extremely brave to admit this on this site, so I follow in yoir footsteps and say: ME TOO!

Date: May 20, 2010 18:46

up through caribou...but i even liked most of captain fantastic and most of blue moves...not much since then, though.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 20:32

I really like this ballad.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 20, 2010 20:38

...there's good Elton and bad Elton...this is Eltonish.....'the cards are on the table' makes me cringe...I must admit..some of the other parts I love...it's gonna take some time...

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:13

for me the song is getting better and better.....smiling smiley

great ballad !

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:26

it's disgusting, horribly sugary and over the top...

Date: May 20, 2010 21:31

Lorenz
it's disgusting, horribly sugary and over the top...

in other words, an SOL companion-piece. now we have a set of matching bookends.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home