Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: OT - Mississppi Delta Abomination Oil Spill
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2010 15:14

Looks like someone from BP was drinkin' some SOS because they ran their little ROV into the top hat.

Goddamn what a joke. That piece of shit 'top hat' isn't doin' a whole lot to begin with. Why don't they fix the coffer dam and put it over it instead?

AUGH! I want to KILL BP!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 24, 2010 15:47

Perhaps Tony Heyward will tell them to try using Charlie's top hat:

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 25, 2010 01:08

Edith Grove
fuman
Appeal's are a normal part of the process.

Of course they are, and the administration claims they are appealing the judge's ruling.

In the meantime however, they are issuing a re-worded moratorium, essentially creating a "de facto" moratorium for the simple sake of having their way, thus my Mommy/Daddy analogy.

This is a spineless way of getting around a judge's ruling.
It's a bold stand up move to protect the @#$%& planet. Jack leg that stud.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:42

OK...let's put a moratorium on off-shore drilling and give the hard working people another kick in the nards...accept no help from nobody or country that can truly help us...wake up citizens and kick 'em where it hurts in November!!!

Date: June 25, 2010 02:45

shadooby
OK...let's put a moratorium on off-shore drilling and give the hard working people another kick in the nards...accept no help from nobody or country that can truly help us...wake up citizens and kick 'em where it hurts in November!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2010 07:34

shadooby

Now, I don't profess to know everything about this, but isn't the moratorium only on any NEW deep water wells drilled for a period of 6 months, what they are calling a 'time out'? The current blow out 'conservatively' is supposed to keep spewing until August (although no one actually believes that)

And from what I heard on CNN, isn't this moratorium supposed to represent less than 1% of all the wells pumping in the Gulf currently?

So my question, given the utter devastation that's occuring, and all the jobs being decimated in the fisheries/shrimperies/tourism, don't you think that on balance, it might be prudent to say, "OK, whoa, let's just take a step back here and make sure THAT doesn't happen again!"?

I mean, I don't want anyone to lose their job, or to create suffering unnecessarily, but aren't we already seeing suffering as a result of NOT doing it right the first time?

What does it serve if there is another blowout? Who are they going to blame?

The fellow sitting in the White House, that's who, for not 'taking control'.

Just imagine if something else happened out there now...do ou think people would finally say...OK, now we gotta do something!

Probably not, because there are too many stupid people.

Date: June 25, 2010 13:30

treaclefingers
isn't the moratorium only on any NEW deep water wells drilled for a period of 6 months

It's my understanding that this moratorium would apply to ALL deep water wells, including those that are currently producing.

The fear is that these operations would move to other countries if they are forced to shut down, even for six months.

I'd like to hear why these rigs can't be inspected while they are in production.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2010 16:35

Edith Grove
treaclefingers
isn't the moratorium only on any NEW deep water wells drilled for a period of 6 months

It's my understanding that this moratorium would apply to ALL deep water wells, including those that are currently producing.

The fear is that these operations would move to other countries if they are forced to shut down, even for six months.

I'd like to hear why these rigs can't be inspected while they are in production.

Hi Edith, I can understand your concern, if that were the case. I don't believe it is though. I do believe it is a moratorium on new drilling, and it has been widely reported this would amount to approx. 1% of the total number of wells being drilled in the Gulf currently.

I think all the other 'noise' that we are hearing is political misinformation and opportunism.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 25, 2010 19:52

Very sad news. A fisherman from Alabama who had been interviewed on CNN when the spill first ocurred walked into the wheelhouse of his boat and comitted suicide. Tony Heyward got his life back. But this guy won't.

Date: June 27, 2010 00:49

From what it sounds like the moratorium is not just for deep water wells but for everything. Hence the big problem.

Doug Suttles is a prick.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: June 27, 2010 01:43

What the Gulf Can’t Afford

In late May, with a broken pipe spewing tens of thousands of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, President Obama imposed a six-month moratorium on new deep-water drilling in the gulf and suspended operations at 33 exploratory deep-water wells. These were common-sense moves — a timeout while a presidential commission figured out why the disaster occurred and recommended ways to prevent future calamities.

[www.nytimes.com]

Watched Gasland a couple of nights ago. They talk about 'mud' a lot in the documentary. Except it's not 'mud' as we know it. Mud sounds much nicer than carcinogenic compound. Makes me wonder about the 'mud' they use for deep water drilling in the gulf. WTF is going on in America?

trailer: [vodpod.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:49

"Members of a panel of experts brought in to advise the Obama administration on how to address offshore drilling safety after the Deepwater Horizon disaster now say Interior Secretary Ken Salazar falsely implied they supported a six-month drilling moratorium they actually oppose."...

[www.nola.com]

Date: June 27, 2010 04:09

Natlanta
"Members of a panel of experts brought in to advise the Obama administration on how to address offshore drilling safety after the Deepwater Horizon disaster now say Interior Secretary Ken Salazar falsely implied they supported a six-month drilling moratorium they actually oppose."...

[www.nola.com]

"Falsely implied?"

Ain't that the same thing as lying?

Date: June 27, 2010 06:39

Unloose truth?

Date: June 28, 2010 15:48

Part of the risk of doing business - name association. It doesn't matter if the people who own the stations are not "part" of BP - the station says it's BP and people are pissed. If it puts them out of business which puts more people out of jobs away from the Gulf Of Mexico then maybe BP will actually see how serious their mess is.

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 1, 2010 23:27

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Public outrage over the BP oil spill fouling the Gulf of Mexico has focused on water pollution. But an air pollution health threat may also be serious, according to UCI researchers.

A team of UCI scientists, including Nobel laureate F. Sherwood Rowland and Chemistry department Chairman Donald Blake, has detected concentrations of toxic chemicals such as alkyl nitrates, methane, hexane and butane compounds that can irritate or burn skin and eyes or cause dizziness, according to studies.

So far, air samples from about 400 canisters the group collected on a recent trip to the oil spill do not show levels above government safety thresholds. But the concentrations are higher than those found over heavily polluted urban areas, such as Los Angeles, Mexico City or Oklahoma oil tank farms.

The blown-out well is 50 miles off Louisiana and is gushing oil into the gulf at a rate between 35,000 and 60,000 barrels a day. Several cleanup workers have been hospitalized with respiratory complaints.

UCI researchers say it is unclear whether the noxious gases in the air around the spill are the result of oil, of chemical dispersants or of other sources. More funding and government coordination are needed, they said.

The scientists have submitted their findings to the Environmental Protection Agency and to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. NOAA followed up with a monitoring flight, but the results have not yet been released.

The UCI team is collecting more samples with an eye toward publishing a peer-reviewed paper in the near future.

--Margot Roosevelt

this is a coverup it's been reported elsewhere and copied right on this thread weeks ago that EPA was measuring benzene hydrogen choloride and other cancer causing agents as THOUSANDS of PARTS per million and in some measurements billion, of these toxins in the AIR which, as some of you might remember from kindgarten gets BLOWN around by the WIND over what's known as LAND where PEOPLE including little CHILDREN live and they ingest, respirate, inahle this poision in clouds of slow death and it's not on the news because after all it is bad for business. innit? one thing tho; any kid from louisiana, mississippi, florida etc....will absolutely kill in any spelling bee that springs 'leukemia' on them!!! so, let's get back to work everybody.

Date: July 1, 2010 23:29

and just when you thought that irony had breathed it's last tired breath in the u ess of a:

Toxic FEMA Trailers Get New Life Thanks to BP Oil Spill
Date Published: Thursday, July 1st, 2010

Formaldehyde-laced travel trailers, the same trailers that made life even more miserable for survivors of hurricanes Katrina and Rita, have shown up along the Gulf Coast again. This time, they are being used to house people working to clean up the BP oil spill.

The problems with the travel trailers first surfaced when the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) distributed 120,000 of them in the wake of Katrina and Rita. By 2006 the agency was getting reports from field workers along the Gulf Coast that residents of FEMA trailers where getting sick from the air in the toxic trailers. The first suspect was formaldehyde, an invisible gas that is known to cause cancer. It can also cause other illnesses ranging from nose bleeds to chronic bronchitis. Commonly used in manufactured homes, formaldehyde can cause respiratory problems and has been classified as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and as a probable carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency.

In late 2007, FEMA and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) finally conducted air quality tests of 519 trailers. The CDC tests confirmed that the FEMA trailers posed a serious danger to residents still living in them. The average formaldehyde levels found in the toxic trailers measured 77ppb (parts per billions), significantly higher than the 10 to 17 ppb concentration seen in newer homes. When it announced its findings, the CDC urged FEMA to move residents from the toxic trailers as quickly as possible, with priority given to families with children, elderly people or anyone with asthma or other chronic conditions.

The government ended up banning such trailers from ever being used for long-term housing again. Not wanting to pay storage costs for the unwanted trailers, it then started selling them. More than 100,000 trailers have been sold so far in public auctions, and many have gone to businesses and individuals in Louisiana.

Despite the sales, the government says the trailers are not supposed to be used as temporary housing. A FEMA official told The New York Times that: “Subsequent owners must continue to similarly inform subsequent buyers for the life of the unit.”

But now the toxic trailers have new life, as thousands of oil spill clean up workers look for temporary housing along the Gulf Coast. One owner of a disaster contracting firm recently told The New York Times that he sold more than 20 of the trailers to cleanup workers and the companies that employ them in Venice and Grand Isle, La.

Most of the workers in the Gulf are not living in the trailers but in newer quarters provided by BP, but many others have purchased trailers so that they can stay with their wives and children after work. Dozens of companies contracted to do clean up work have also purchased trailers to house workers.

The trailers are commanding prices of $2,500 and up, the Times said.

In many cases, sellers are not bothering to inform prospective owners about the trailers’ risks. Officials with the inspector general’s office of the General Services Administration announced yesterday that they have opened at least seven cases concerning buyers who might not have posted the required certification and formaldehyde warnings on trailers they sold, the Times said.

<

Date: July 1, 2010 23:30

Date: July 1, 2010 23:34

[techie-buzz.com]

track the spill live via vid; ez instructions and also pix at this link...

Date: July 2, 2010 00:44

Grand Isle concert to take place of 2010 Tarpon Rodeo
Published: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 1:11 PM Updated: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 1:44 PM
The Times-Picayune

Grand Isle Island Aid Concert will be held Saturday, July 24, from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., officials announced today.

It will take place on the beach directly across from the Community Center, 3811 Highway 1.

The concert will take the place of this year's Tarpon Rodeo, which has been cancelled because of the BP oil spill.

Admission is $10 per person for the all-day concert. Revenue from ticket sales will go to the Grand Isle Alive Promotion Fund to raise money to aid in rebuilding the fishing and tourism industry in Grand Isle.

The event will feature two entertainment stages, food, crafts, clothing, commemorative Island Aid Concert memorabilia and more. The lineup includes Three Dog Night, Little River Band, Doug Kershaw, Lorrie Morgan, Amanda Shaw, Top Cats and the Wise Guys.

For information, check the Tarpon Rodeo website: [www.tarponrodeo.org]

Date: July 2, 2010 07:46

there are going to be federal indictments. soon.

Date: July 2, 2010 12:18

Beelyboy
there are going to be federal indictments. soon.

Is that why Tony Hayward got outta here?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 2, 2010 12:42

Texaco left HUNDREDS of tons of oil-soaked mud in the countryside when they left Ecuador a few years ago (was probably "too expensive" to clean).
So don't blame the English too fast, you're not all white either...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-02 12:43 by dcba.

Date: July 2, 2010 13:17

dcba
So don't blame the English too fast, you're not all white either...

It really does make me sick how some Americans are focusing their anger at the people of Britain over this disaster, so I'm not too happy with this comment.

My problem is with BP, and there's nothing good to say about this insensitive little prick known as Tony Hayward who has done a piss-poor job of representing his organization.

Date: July 3, 2010 17:03

according to USA Today:

spill "likely" to reach florida keys this weekend.

Date: July 3, 2010 18:01

Wrong. Not until mid-August will it/could it hit the Keys and the east coast of FLA. Of course it could hit sooner if the currents change or a storm takes a goofy track.

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: July 4, 2010 04:21

Let's talk about this redistribution of wealth, shall we?

[www.nytimes.com]

When the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform set off the worst oil spill at sea in American history, it was flying the flag of the Marshall Islands. Registering there allowed the rig’s owner to significantly reduce its American taxes.

The owner, Transocean, moved its corporate headquarters from Houston to the Cayman Islands in 1999 and then to Switzerland in 2008, maneuvers that also helped it avoid taxes.
But an examination of the American tax code indicates that oil production is among the most heavily subsidized businesses, with tax breaks available at virtually every stage of the exploration and extraction process.

So their @#$%& the Gulf States, and the Gulf States are contributing money to get the @#$%& shaft . . .

Date: July 4, 2010 07:09

fuman
Let's talk about this redistribution of wealth, shall we?

[www.nytimes.com]

When the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform set off the worst oil spill at sea in American history, it was flying the flag of the Marshall Islands. Registering there allowed the rig’s owner to significantly reduce its American taxes.

The owner, Transocean, moved its corporate headquarters from Houston to the Cayman Islands in 1999 and then to Switzerland in 2008, maneuvers that also helped it avoid taxes.
But an examination of the American tax code indicates that oil production is among the most heavily subsidized businesses, with tax breaks available at virtually every stage of the exploration and extraction process.

So their @#$%& the Gulf States, and the Gulf States are contributing money to get the @#$%& shaft . . .

thank you for this excellent post. today is Independence Day in the country I was born in and the country that I love. big oil is bad for America.
Big oil is bad for America. and the world.

Date: July 4, 2010 10:12

[naturalnews.tv]

first amendment suspended. the united states of mega corporation shows it's true colors. erasing reality ala bernays. history keeps getting reduced and dumbed down to disinformation and hate rhetoric, and now with new technology, faster and more comprehensively than ever before. what a sad thing to read on American Independence Day. shameful. vid included here worth your time and comments imo.

Date: July 5, 2010 17:22

I tried to find it at nola.com but it's not there. It's the same article in all newspapers I believe.

If anyone is truly worried about BP and the boycotting of it from US citizens, don't be - the US government is making sure that BP stays, ah ha, afloat:

[seattletimes.nwsource.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home