Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ron has never sung a song with the Stones, Why?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2010 18:28

NICOS
Ron has never sung a song with the Stones, Why?

Stupid question

yes, but it gives us an excuse for stupid answers....

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 21, 2010 18:42

A good question to start a discussion.....

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:42

I saw Ronnie sing on the 'late night with Jules Holland' show and it was terrible, really bad, so no Ronnie, just play guitar.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:48

Funny Question, w/obvious answer...

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:55

For a while he sang backing vocals live but hasn't done that in years. YEARS ago he wasn't a terrible singer, Ooh La La as an example. But years of smoking and drinking have ravaged whatever voice he had and he should not sing.

keith on the other hand doesn't seem to have been impacted by the booze and smokes in the same way that Ronnie has, as far as singing is concerned. While Keith would never be mistaken for a top-notch singer, he can carry a tune.

Wayne

Date: April 21, 2010 21:01

ronnie always sings backup on starfukker - even on more recent tours.

Posted by: 120V60Hz ()
Date: April 21, 2010 21:16

I never thought singing was the strong point of any Stone. The songwriting was their strength imo.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 21, 2010 21:58

I have thought for the last few years/tours that they should toss Ronnie a bone and let him sing one song. They let Billy Preston do two(!) back in '75 and he had no connection to the band. Everyone would be happy--Mick would get another mid show breather and the fans get a longer set list. He could do a Stones related song like I Can Feel the FIre or Sure the One You Need, whioch would flow with the rest of the song better than Outta Space!!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 21:58

StonesTod
NICOS

Stupid question

the person asks a simple question and gets insulted for it? what a load of crap. last week fans also got bashed because they like the new song. this place has become insult central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 22:01 by ghostryder13.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2010 22:06

HalfNanker
I have thought for the last few years/tours that they should toss Ronnie a bone and let him sing one song. They let Billy Preston do two(!) back in '75 and he had no connection to the band. Everyone would be happy--Mick would get another mid show breather and the fans get a longer set list. He could do a Stones related song like I Can Feel the FIre or Sure the One You Need, whioch would flow with the rest of the song better than Outta Space!!

Its all about the intensity level of the show. Its hard enough to keep the 'casual' fans interested when Keith does two songs. If you give one of those to Ronnie, then it brings the momentum down even further. To extend it to THREE songs without Jagger being onstage would be absolute idiocy and would even test the patience of most 'committed' fans . The shows are already expensive and short enough as it is. Its not like theyre going to compensate for it by adding extra songs to the set.

Plus, as they dont play songs from their solo albums at Stones shows as a matter of policy, its not going to happen as Ronnie has never sang lead on a song on a STONES recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 22:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 21, 2010 22:16

steffiestones
Keith always sing at least 2 songs every stonesconcert, Ron is also a singer songwriter, why he never has sung a song with the Stones?

Wood did sing Sure the One You Need with Keith on the first couple of '75 shows. At this tour he was a hired hand, in '78 he was a Stone but not a main one and not in the possesion of the bargain rights.

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2010 22:26

Yep. Two shows early on the '75 tour - Kansas City and Milwaukee. But it was played instead of 'Happy' (when Keith usually got one song per show) and not in addition to it.

Plus Jagger used to stay onstage for the whole show back in those days (even during Billy Preston's set), so at least the momentum didnt dip too much or for too long.

Date: April 21, 2010 22:44

ghostryder13
StonesTod
NICOS

Stupid question

the person asks a simple question and gets insulted for it? what a load of crap. last week fans also got bashed because they like the new song. this place has become insult central

i'm offended!!! my feelings are really hurt. well, not really. but, maybe next time...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 21, 2010 22:53

The traditon is that Mick Jagger is the voice of the Rolling Stones and Keith Richards sings songs that usually don't fit Mick's persona. I don't believe that a Ron's song would add anything to the stones' songbook and performance that isn't already there. Ron has his solo career so there isn't any need for him to push for an opportunity to sing on a Stones' album.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: April 21, 2010 23:07

Gazza
Yep. Two shows early on the '75 tour - Kansas City and Milwaukee. But it was played instead of 'Happy' (when Keith usually got one song per show) and not in addition to it.

Plus Jagger used to stay onstage for the whole show back in those days (even during Billy Preston's set), so at least the momentum didnt dip too much or for too long.

it's a keith lead vocal on the RW album - as it was on the '75 stage...

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: April 21, 2010 23:33

He could do "Can't Cut The Mustard"... that would be something...

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: April 22, 2010 00:50

The Stones have make it really great, consider no one of them can sing.

(but they write great songs) smileys with beer

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 22, 2010 08:11

As time goes on, it's become harder for the Stones to mix things up a bit in concert. It really comes down to what the paying customers expect: they want the familiar songs, Mick jumping about, and a big stage with big effects.

The average concert-goer doesn't expect or want Ronnie to suddenly step up to the mike and sing one of his songs that most of them have never heard.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 22, 2010 10:49

Yeah, and what about Charlie?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 22, 2010 12:03

skipstone
No, Bill can't sing In Another Land. He did sing it. That wasn't even going to be included on the album to begin with.

Ronnie can't sing. Er, well, put it this way - he makes Bob Dylan sound like Pavarotti.

Bill is a brilliant singer (Monkey Grip for example) but a lousy bassplayer...

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 22, 2010 12:12

Personally I say no for Ron singing...he's not a singer in the Stones, I've never wanted him to sing in the Stones and if I want to hear him I'd put on his cd's I have or see a solo Ron show. Can't imagine why anyone would want him to sing at a Stones show........but that's just my opinion.

Date: April 22, 2010 12:56

I think Ronnie sings great. But he isn't the LV for the Stones.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2010 15:45

skipstone
No, Bill can't sing In Another Land. He did sing it. That wasn't even going to be included on the album to begin with.

Ronnie can't sing. Er, well, put it this way - he makes Bob Dylan sound like Pavarotti.
When I first read your post, I thought it said "he makes Bob Dylan sound like a parrot".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2010 15:46

StonesTod
ghostryder13
StonesTod
NICOS

Stupid question

i'm offended!!! my feelings are really hurt. well, not really. but, maybe next time...
dont let this pity pot whining bother you .you gotta keep on keeping on .you have a responsibility to continue to critique.i continue to look forward to your knowledge and wisdom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 22, 2010 16:39

I would love to hear the Stones messing around with Stay With Me in the studio, just for laughs. It would be fun to listen to their treatment. I'd also like to hear the Stones messing around with Take It So Hard or Couldn't Stood You Up.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 22, 2010 17:25

I think the Stones would have really blasted Josephine! Great song and I can totally hear Mick singing it. Same with Buried Alive, well yeah, he sings on that one!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 23, 2010 12:06

I would have much preferred to see Ronnie do a song on the '76 tour than Billy Preston's spot! Since then, the Stones have stuck to a formula. Personally, I think a Ronnie song would have been a great idea, but it's not going to happen now. I know a lot of people here seem to detest Ronnie now, but he's a skillful writer and musician and I think it's been a missed opportunity.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 23, 2010 14:04

I cannot imagine Ronnie Wood singing a song in a Stones concert, but it would be really great if he got one song on the next Rolling Stones album. He really should write a song with Jagger and Richards for himself to sing, especially if it's their final album.

His singing was fine for his style on his last outing "Not For Beginners". I wonder what his voice sounds like today. I'm really looking forward to "I Feel Like Playing".

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: April 23, 2010 14:29

StonesTod
Gazza

it's a keith lead vocal on the RW album - as it was on the '75 stage...

I think you are right! There is a boot of the KC show. STOYN is a train wreck.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 23, 2010 20:38

I think Ron has enough trouble staying sober and focused on guitar. I don't see how adding lead vocal to the mix would benefit anyone, particularly the audience.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home