Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Fight
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:12

I think this song is okay, but nothing more. Lillywhite's production is way over the top, Jagger's vocal is more like a rabid dog than anything else, but the guitars are vicious and the lyrics have a nice bite, a nice edge to them. A good song to bark along with if you are feeling angry with the world. I like the last 30 seconds, lots of adrenaline flowing there.

Drew

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:14

Why are we re-visiting this thread?? Fight is horrilble case closed!!!

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:19

No good. MEZ

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2010 06:39

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................................

Wake me when it's over

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 17, 2015 11:41

One of the weakest rockers the Stones ever have recorded. Trying to sound aggressive, but just so stones-by-numbers it ever can get. If Jagger's heart is not there, it destroys a Stones track, no matter how much the guitar axis boys try. Makes one feel uncomfortable, and not in a good way.

Why to review it now? - well, I just randomly rushed into it. Listening to DIRTY WORK properly now (and probably first time for years), and the over-all impression of thr album is that it was not the day's production that destroys the album - the problem lies in the substance.

- Doxa

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 17, 2015 11:52

I don't even know that song.............

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 17, 2015 12:03

RomanCandle
I don't even know that song.............

Some homework to do...

- Doxa

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 17, 2015 14:55

Don't care for the song or it's production but oddly I love Mick's voice on it. Aside from the two singles the album is pretty forgettable.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 17, 2015 16:05

slew
Why are we re-visiting this thread?? Fight is horrilble case closed!!!

Well it's revisited again. And I agree w/ you, simply terrible.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 17, 2015 16:37

Terrible song, terrible album. I sometimes wonder if it would have been better if Lily-white was not involved. It may have been. But the songs are still weak, especially this one.

Shit with different wrapping is still shit.

Date: January 17, 2015 16:41

buffalo7478
Terrible song, terrible album. I sometimes wonder if it would have been better if Lily-white was not involved. It may have been. But the songs are still weak, especially this one.

Shit with different wrapping is still shit.

Great line at the end ... regarding Lily-white, I have a feeling he made it better, so imagine how bad it could have been!

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 17, 2015 16:48

I was disappointed with Dirty Work as well. It seemed like they were doubling down on the violent theme of side 2 of Undercover. Too much blood, Pretty beat up, Too tough..and then they give us "Fight, Had it with you and One hit....

The Stones do not make convincing tough guys. Tough businessmen yes, hard partyers yes. It reminds me of when you see some actor on TV playing a cop and you just cringe because it so unbelievable.

So after what? Three years they come out with Dirty Work and it was the beginning of the end of their creative prowess. The break-up rumor's, the "I'll slit his thought" hyperbole, the solo albums.....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2015 17:37

Doxa
One of the weakest rockers the Stones ever have recorded. Trying to sound aggressive, but just so stones-by-numbers it ever can get. If Jagger's heart is not there, it destroys a Stones track, no matter how much the guitar axis boys try. Makes one feel uncomfortable, and not in a good way.

Why to review it now? - well, I just randomly rushed into it. Listening to DIRTY WORK properly now (and probably first time for years), and the over-all impression of thr album is that it was not the day's production that destroys the album - the problem lies in the substance.

- Doxa

The production helps absolutely zero with this LP with the exception to Harlem Shuffle somehow. I've always found Fight to be the... better of the rocking tracks on this deplorable LP. But only because of its surroundings. It is Stones-by-numbers. As I recall Keith had a bad day and in his words out came this Jumpin' Jack Flash-esque tune.

There aren't enough songs on this album. There's the two covers, the title track and Keith's Sleep Tonight.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: January 17, 2015 18:39

Of course it would never happen, but I would love to hear the better songs on DW remixed. Pearl Jam did this with their Ten remix. They released the remixed version that removed all of the early 90s echo and reverb on everything and the difference was astounding. Took a great record that sounded very dated today and made it sound fresh.

Not saying DW is a great record, but the cheesy 80s production is hard to ignore. And at least this album has some balls. Steel Wheels, which was I loved when it first came out, has aged worse than this, and just sounds completely wimpy today.

Date: January 17, 2015 19:24

Jimmy C
... I would love to hear the better songs on DW remixed...

Both of them?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 17, 2015 19:53

Even though it sounds like both Mick and Keith threw everything they had at this one, it unfortunately ends up as just another forgettable song.

peace

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 17, 2015 20:06

This is Rock & Roll with some great guitars

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:48

If the song was mixed properly without all the lousy 80s production (man those tones are so ugly), it would be a decent song. Jagger's screaming vocals drag the song down.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:50

flacnvinyl
If the song was mixed properly without all the lousy 80s production (man those tones are so ugly), it would be a decent song. Jagger's screaming vocals drag the song down.

Yeah...makes it unlistenable.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 17, 2015 22:03

...not a great "SONG" but a very good agressive rock'roll track..!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 05:18

In a Keith profile he participated in to promote Talk is Cheap in a now defunct magazine, Patti said how Keith was happier "now" than around the Dirty Work album. She said Keith "had a lot of anger" around the time of Dirty Work. Gee, I never would've guessed it!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 05:45

Trying hard to sound tough the Stones sound awful. Ridiculously over wrought song

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 18, 2015 07:46

Maybe Bill being on it would have made it groove a bit more. The bass is pretty...us, spotty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 18, 2015 08:30

Doxa

- Doxa

You trying to put yourself to sleep?
Or just personal punishment?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 18, 2015 12:37

Terrible weak song,lousy production. I skip it everytime i put on the cd.

Jeroen

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 18, 2015 12:48

And don't forget the lyrics. Weak, weak lyrics. As mentioned before, completely unconvincing attempt to play the hard man.

Date: January 18, 2015 12:58

It's the result of what happens when a band no longer functions as a unit; as a band. When, during playbacks, each member is fcusing only on their own performance, and not on the overall song quality.
It's true; that is a very good guitar solo, but Keith was probably telling Ronnie "Check oiut this great solo" and that was enough for them. Jagger did what he did for his own reasons, and left it there. Lillywhite added 'his' drums because by then they were his.
So there are 3 factions checking off their individual contributions, but no one was looking out for the song.

I have often noted that: to be in the studio, and the drummer is listening to the playback, and his drums might be loud, and they are tight, and for him it is all said and done: to him it is already a great song, no matter what happens now.

Add: I do find it fits that "Fight" has a very small amount of posts. It really doesnt call for that much... I wonder if Rene knows which song so far has drawn the least amountof posts. "Stealing My Heart"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 13:01 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 18, 2015 13:10

I like the singing, love the guitars, but the song is so-so.

Date: January 18, 2015 13:30

Just gave it a listen; its actuallt a lot better than I remembered. Dont mind the snare although the Hi Hat sounds like a shaker. Guitars are really hot. And I like Chuck Leavell on this one. Like the thread says: if Jagger had given it more it would have made the difference.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 18, 2015 18:34

Blurprint for Sad Sad Sad (the "verse" ). Horrible song. Doxa is spot on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 18:34 by Redhotcarpet.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home