Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Fight
Date: January 25, 2015 03:01

I like his singing in the choruses. "Can't get out of it"...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 27, 2015 16:59

Mick's heart was not into the entire DW album. He was terrible on this album he is singing like he does not want to be there. Fight, Hold Back, Back To Zero, Winning Ugly are simply some of the poorest songs in the Stones cannon.

Date: January 27, 2015 17:17

But One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work and Had It With You all had great singing by Mick..

And I don't think it's necessarily his singing that is the main problem with Back To Zero and Winning Ugly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2015 17:34

DandelionPowderman
I like his singing in the choruses. "Can't get out of it"...

Those lines weren't suppose to be in there initially...I guess he just felt inspired while singing the song.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 27, 2015 17:46

One thing I always found weird about this song is midway it seems to break down into the "Too Tough"/"Cellophane Trousers" riff which had been on the previous album

Date: January 27, 2015 22:23

stewedandkeefed
One thing I always found weird about this song is midway it seems to break down into the "Too Tough"/"Cellophane Trousers" riff which had been on the previous album

I noticed that right away as well. "Da-da...".

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 28, 2015 06:12

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Fight rocks. What's wrong with that?

The vocals. They can obviously make or break a song and Fight is a perfect example of break, imo. Don't know if it's the angry style Mick tries to convey, that he is trying too hard to convey it or that he is just not very believable as a fighter. peace

Interesting how we all interpret things in our own way as I love Jagger's sound and delivery on this song. Actually the only thing thru the album I consistently like is his vocals. Keith's lead work is on fire in parts but the songs are just so weak. Esp BTZ and Keith's numbers to me.

Don't know who exactly is responsible for all that horrible drenching reverb and delay that haunts the album but it's awful. I think Bill was being very kind when he said Lillywhite did an "adequate job".
I'd love to get a hold of the raw tapes and remix and remaster this record. And cut it to 8 songs. Even then it'd still be a bit of a stinker by Stones standards smoking smiley

Date: January 28, 2015 11:26

OzHeavyThrobber
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Fight rocks. What's wrong with that?

The vocals. They can obviously make or break a song and Fight is a perfect example of break, imo. Don't know if it's the angry style Mick tries to convey, that he is trying too hard to convey it or that he is just not very believable as a fighter. peace

Interesting how we all interpret things in our own way as I love Jagger's sound and delivery on this song. Actually the only thing thru the album I consistently like is his vocals. Keith's lead work is on fire in parts but the songs are just so weak. Esp BTZ and Keith's numbers to me.

Don't know who exactly is responsible for all that horrible drenching reverb and delay that haunts the album but it's awful. I think Bill was being very kind when he said Lillywhite did an "adequate job".
I'd love to get a hold of the raw tapes and remix and remaster this record. And cut it to 8 songs. Even then it'd still be a bit of a stinker by Stones standards smoking smiley

This guy...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2015 12:00

Stones did in all cases their best videos at the time of the ' Fight '.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2015 16:46

Come On
Stones did in all cases their best videos at the time of the ' Fight '.

Jumpin' Jack Flash?!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2015 22:20

One Hit To Da Body???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 18, 2015 08:44

Does anyone know if Keith is playing this song in Open G? His solo is definitely played in standard tuning, but those chords sound like Open G to me.

Date: April 18, 2015 11:25

The rhythm guitar is in open G. His solo is standard tuning, with some slide playing either spliced in or done on the spot.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 18, 2015 13:08

slew
Mick's heart was not into the entire DW album. He was terrible on this album he is singing like he does not want to be there. Fight, Hold Back, Back To Zero, Winning Ugly are simply some of the poorest songs in the Stones cannon.

DIRTY WORK is to me as well one of their weakest albums. And, again to me, "Fight" is probably its weakest song. Neither am I that more pleased by "One Hit". Compared to those songs, even "Hold Back" is tolerable. But only seen that way. Within the context of a highly moderate Stones album, I quite like "Winning Ugly" and almost "Back to Zero". The former of those songs I am even charmed by. A few others songs of the album may be somewhat better still.

Sometimes I more or less may like tiresome songs. However, that does not apply to the album's first two songs. Where "One Hit" to me sounds hollow, "Fight" tends only to be almost annoying.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 30, 2017 20:30

The guitars just tear!* in this song. Slashing, aggressive weaving.

(*tear, like cut, rip, not like a dew drop from your eye)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 31, 2017 01:27

It's such a bad song, I'm almost tempted to listen again just to remember how irritating it is on the ears ... 'almost' I said, but I opted not to.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 31, 2017 01:35

I like it. Hard rockin´ stuff (also lyric-wise).

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 31, 2017 06:00

I like the way it comes storming like waving a saber around while on horseback or something. One more time Bill Wyman totally leaves me breathless...
hampered I think by the production stuff we sometimes discuss here;
for example the mechanical same-ness of the drums; and someting about the production, man it's always just given me a headache somehow. I don't know who mixed or compressed the masters but I don't think it's in synch with what they're best at and who I like to think they really are as rockers...
But ace prime example; AGAIN; how essential that center-piece, center-channel bass guitar is...Bill.
this LP needed Charlie and didn't need that post production thing imo.
Bill is amazing; Check him out on Winning Ugly too; the band never recovered this loss. They could have too. With another player. They did not.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 31, 2017 13:21

I love that album! Raw energy and great guitars! But, not for beginners...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 31, 2017 13:31

hopkins
I like the way it comes storming like waving a saber around while on horseback or something. One more time Bill Wyman totally leaves me breathless...
for example the mechanical same-ness of the drums; and someting about the production, man it's always just given me a headache somehow. I don't know who mixed or compressed the masters but I don't think it's in synch with what they're best at and who I like to think they really are as rockers...
But ace prime example; AGAIN; how essential that center-piece, center-channel bass guitar is...Bill.
Bill is amazing; Check him out on Winning Ugly too; the band never recovered this loss. They could have too. With another player. They did not.

No bill on Winning Ugly. Session man, can't remember the name.

C

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 31, 2017 14:01

liddas
hopkins

C

John Regan.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 31, 2017 14:52

According to www.nzentgraf.de, The Complete Works site the bass in Fight is played by Ronnie Wood...

"Fight": MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bas, bvoc)/CW (dr)/Chuck Leavell (org)/
Ivan Neville, Steve Jordan & Charley Drayton (bvoc)

..........Oh.... and I see René also lists this on the first page of this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 14:53 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 31, 2017 15:12

liddas
hopkins

C

Thank you, did not know and missed that. Does a nice job whover it is. I know better than to trust Keno at this point, tho he does a nice job with the lyrics usually.
I heard Winning Ugly in passing the other day and really did enjoy the bass. I don't know exactly why the sonics on that thing always exhausts my ears.
Seriously, not even talking about the material or presentation; there is something about that release that's not right. In my consistent experience anyway.
I have approached it many times over the years...and do always pretty quickly get the same impression
I had when I bought the official cassette pretty much the day, or just a few days after it's actual original release.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 31, 2017 17:00

Don't like the song at all. No rhythm or beat and the lyrics are embarrassing. Can you imagine listening to to that song in front of people with those idiotic lyrics.

IF you are over 16 the answer should be no. One thing i never understood about the Stones is the way their music sometimes got more juvenile as they got older. They were a mature sounding band in the 68-72 period then after that as they got old they sometimes sounded like young kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 17:03 by stanlove.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 31, 2017 17:04

It's a serviceable rocker with some ferocious guitar work. Even if you think the lyrics or vocals are garbage, it's at least a good song for kicking up the energy of the album.

Date: July 31, 2017 20:54

Keith's solo, a combination of slide playing and a nod to Berry, is really unique. Never heard it like that, before or after...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 31, 2017 21:14

Fight is pure energy and has lots and lots of great guitar playing. It really kicks ass.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 1, 2017 08:22

I was in my last year of high school when Dirty Work was unleashed on us. There was nothing like pulling into the school parking lot in my ‘78 Gremlin with a smoke dangling from my lips and ‘Fight’ blasting from my Blaupunkt speakers. I would’ve been a real badass if not for all the paisley.

The song rocks but as noted it kinda borrows from Too Tough and the lyrics were obviously written by a very rich man surrounded by bodyguards. I don’t mean to beat a dead horse but Mick wrote far better lyrics when he was still a ‘poor boy.’

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2017 08:50

Whenever I think of this song, which is rarely, I can't help but to think of Hulk Hogan.

Or Macho Man Randy Savage.

"Gonna pulp you to a mess of bruises
'Cos that's what you're looking for
There's a hole where your nose used to be
Gonna kick you out of my door..."

Awesome in the most unintentionally funny way.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 1, 2017 11:36

Fight is not a great song - but: The guitar part in the middle is thrilling.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home