Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 22
PMS Background Vocals Sounds Like KEITH
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 21, 2010 07:56

Keith isn't listed as backup vocals on Plundered... but there's someone singing that sounds a lot like Keith's typical old hollering style of singing.

As Mathijs said, "Nice that Jagger acknowledges Keith's backup vocals on Exile are a big part of its legacy."

Re: PMS Background Vocals Sounds Like KEITH
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 21, 2010 07:59

Many have said that was Mick sounding like Keith....?

Plundered my friggin' Soul
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 20, 2010 20:50

And I just utterly, utterly love the track! Just as with Exile, I needed a couple of days. I didn’t like Jagger’s vocals at start, I thought the track didn’t have a real hook, and I thought Jagger’s falsetto to mimic Richards was, well, cheap.

But man did I start to like this track! No, there isn’t a real hook, but then again –Tumbling Dice doesn’t have a hook either. What Plundered has in spades is GROOVE! Watts and Wyman once and for all prove they where the best rhythm section to ever grace a stage or to be recorded. The way they interlock is just unbelievable. And to add: I love Charlie’s old Gretsch (this cracking snare!) and the sound of Wyman's warm Ampeg B50. Fantastic!

Then the rest: Richards’ open G sounds generic at start, and yes it is a bit a Tumbling Dice rip-off (well, that’s why it’s an outtake…) but man how I love the sound of a Tele through an Ampeg! The Watts-Wyman-Richards trio, helped here by Keys on the tenor, is what made the Stones the greatest band on this planet, and even though the track remains an outtake, it is better than anything they did after ’83.

Jagger’s vocals grew on me –It’s very Goddess, and the faux –Richards backup vocals sounds a bit cheesy. but after some spins Jagger’s vocals sound more and more catchy, more Wandering Spirit than Goddess. It’s a great track to sing (or scream) along with, and that’s something the Stones haven’t had for a very, very, long time.

Taylor is generic in my opinion. It’s not the fluid Taylor we expect (then again, he hardly plays anything fluid on Exile), it sounds heavily edited to my ears, and it’s just not the most inspiring licks ever laid to tape. It’s prominent and has a great sound, but it just isn’t memorable enough. I can see why they didn’t finish it in ’72.

It’s the most groovy track released since ages, and it sure has the best sound since the Chris Kimsey’s ’77 to ’81 years. When listening to the snippets of the Deluxe set posted on YouTube I truly didn’t like what I heard. But I am going to give it some time, just as all good Stones music need time to grow. Get used to the new vocals, which sound very over-done and over-acted on first listen, but let’s see if, just as with Plundered my Soul, I start singing along in a couple of days.

Mathijs

Re: Plundered my friggin' Soul
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 20, 2010 20:54

hey look! it's the first thread about Plundered My Soul!!!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:09

great post Mathijs, with results such as plundered my soul, i wouldn't mind if the stones continue using past instrumental tracks to create new songs

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:17

Agree withy everything you said Mathjis, except "Tumbling Dice doesn't have a hook". It doesn't?

Great post.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:22

yeah, it's great. but it lacks a solo & Jagger singin' and groovin' more easy and lightly, he's pushing himself and acting too much. we've got a new Stones single and another's a-coming ee yeah ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-20 21:22 by Amused.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:23

I really like PMS a lot, it gets better and better every day.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:38

Growing on me too!

When I was eleven, at first I didn't like SFTD either.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:45

Yes - Tumbling Dice have a hook........for god´s sake...

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:48

I really love it too!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:49

and more & more I'm amazed at what Bobby's playing... I'd call it rhythm saxophone smiling smiley

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:58

For me, it's maybe the best Stones single since Waiting On a Friend.

Or possibly She Was Hot.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:02

Yes, it's got groove alright, that great swagger we all love

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:03

Great review Mathijs ........looks like my thoughts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-20 22:14 by NICOS.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:09

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-24 20:36 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:37

you're all blinded by love...haha
but that's not a bad thing...;-)
i think the track is boring and the new layers sound like %&/*&%....especially jaggers singing.
and the production is just a crime...

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:45

you're right, guitarbastard. some people ARE blinded by love. what if "streets of love" was released as an Exile outtake with contributions from Taylor? some would be hailing it as the second coming.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:46

Glad to know you like it Mathijs, for me it is also the best groove I've heard from A 'new' song in years, and yes after a few spins you want to sing along.
For me it took 3 spins to really like it, and it keeps getting better. (no it's not a classic, but a great tune for a re-worked outtake)

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:49

It is the groove that makes Plundered My Soul worthwhile despite Jagger's awful vocals.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:49

71Tele
Agree withy everything you said Mathjis, except "Tumbling Dice doesn't have a hook". It doesn't?

Great post.

TD is loaded with hooks of all shapes and sizes.

Date: April 20, 2010 22:55

StonesTod
71Tele

Great post.

With 6 shapes and 3 sizes

Date: April 20, 2010 22:58

StonesTod
71Tele

Great post.

Well, TD does not have a hook as in a catchy signature riff (Miss You, HTW), a sing-along chorus (YCAGWYW), a signature riff (SMU), a driving rythm (Paint IB, BS) or a great solo (fill in your favorite solo).

As Jagger has stated Exile does not really have any singles. The power of TD is the groove of the intro, verses and outro, there's not really anything to sing along with, instead you play along with Charlie and Jimmy. Even the horns play the groove, and not some funky pattern.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:59

"Taylor is generic in my opinion. It’s not the fluid Taylor we expect (then again, he hardly plays anything fluid on Exile), it sounds heavily edited to my ears, and it’s just not the most inspiring licks ever laid to tape. It’s prominent and has a great sound, but it just isn’t memorable enough. I can see why they didn’t finish it in ’72." Quote Mathijs.

"Agree withy everything you said Mathjis

Great post." Quote 71Tele.

71Tele, I'm totally speachless. Don't you really understand what this guy is actually saying? It's just a sneer to Taylor, don't you see that? Of course it's not the best Taylor has ever played, not by far. But in the context of the song it's just great. Period. It's the best the song has to offer and it compensates Jagger's lousy vocals for a great deal. Without Taylor's guitar this song would be nothing to talk about. Well, you might endlessly talk about how great the drums and the bass sound, not to forget the piano, the sax, the percussion and the backup vocals.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:01

bernardanderson
you're right, guitarbastard. some people ARE blinded by love. what if "streets of love" was released as an Exile outtake with contributions from Taylor? some would be hailing it as the second coming.

isn't that more or less what this is? i know at least I'm SOL with this one...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:05

Mathijs

Taylor is generic in my opinion. It’s not the fluid Taylor we expect (then again, he hardly plays anything fluid on Exile), it sounds heavily edited to my ears, and it’s just not the most inspiring licks ever laid to tape. It’s prominent and has a great sound, but it just isn’t memorable enough.

Good track that would have been much better if (1) Jagger had reined in the histrionics and (2) Taylor had been given space to stretch out and play a la "Time Waits For No One".

Drew

Date: April 20, 2010 23:07

If the song sounded like "Time Waits For No One" we would have an other thing to complain .................

Date: April 20, 2010 23:14

kleermaker
"Taylor is generic in my opinion. It’s not the fluid Taylor we expect (then again, he hardly plays anything fluid on Exile), it sounds heavily edited to my ears, and it’s just not the most inspiring licks ever laid to tape. It’s prominent and has a great sound, but it just isn’t memorable enough. I can see why they didn’t finish it in ’72." Quote Mathijs.

"Agree withy everything you said Mathjis

Great post." Quote 71Tele.

71Tele, I'm totally speachless. Don't you really understand what this guy is actually saying? It's just a sneer to Taylor, don't you see that? Of course it's not the best Taylor has ever played, not by far. But in the context of the song it's just great. Period. It's the best the song has to offer and it compensates Jagger's lousy vocals for a great deal. Without Taylor's guitar this song would be nothing to talk about. Well, you might endlessly talk about how great the drums and the bass sound, not to forget the piano, the sax, the percussion and the backup vocals.

Kleermaker, you're not going to hijack this tread with endless ranting again he?

It's not "just a sneer" to Taylor as I have no reason to do that. Taylor's playing is what it is, nice but not outstanding. It might be shocking to you, but there's more goodStones tracks whithout a blistering lead guitar by Taylor.

Mathijs

Date: April 20, 2010 23:20

Oops

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:21

The female backing vocal is the best part.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home