Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT:Roger Waters - The Wall US Tour 2010
Posted by: Strider ()
Date: April 14, 2010 16:39

The Greek
roger waters is a genius .david gilmour is a great guitarist !

^^^This sums it up.
If Roger didn't play bass in Floyd it would almost be like Elton John and Bernie Taupin.
Pink Floyd would not have had the success they did without BOTH of them in the band.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2010 16:55

Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.
If Roger didn't play bass in Floyd it would almost be like Elton John and Bernie Taupin.
Pink Floyd would not have had the success they did without BOTH of them in the band.

Roger is a CONCEPTUAL genius, but Dave is the MUSICAL genius. When Roger began to insist on doing everything himself, when Floyd albums became more and more like Roger Waters solo albums, the music suffered. DSOTM and WYWH were great because they were true GROUP efforts, with Roger creating the concepts and writing all the lyrics, and Dave and Rick writing much of the music and doing much of the singing. Animals, though still great, comes very close to being a Roger solo album. The Wall even more so. Musically, it's Gilmour who provides the highlights. (Comfortably Numb was ALMOST written in time to make it onto Dave's 1978 solo debut, and the album would have been a chart-topper if it had.) With The Final Cut (a Floyd album in name only) and Pros and Cons, it's all about THE WORDS, lyric sheets that go on FOREVER, with seemingly very little thought put into THE MUSIC. Which sounds more like a Pink Floyd album to you? Pros and Cons? Or About Face?

Btw, I was a little bothered by Roger deciding to take DSOTM on the road last time out. It seemed like he was trying to claim it for himself, as if it was HIS album. It's not. Dave and Rick wrote a good deal of it, and Roger barely even sings on it. I thought it was a little disingenuous of Roger to present it as HIS masterpiece. The Wall I don't have a problem with. That's pretty much HIS baby. It makes more sense for him to do it than it would have made for Gilmour, Wright, and Mason to do it ... which is why they didn't do it, except for a few of the better songs, which, not coincidentally, were the same ones that Dave had been largely responsible for.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 17:07 by tatters.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 14, 2010 17:50

tatters
Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.

Roger is a CONCEPTUAL genius, but Dave is the MUSICAL genius. When Roger began to insist on doing everything himself, when Floyd albums became more and more like Roger Waters solo albums, the music suffered. DSOTM and WYWH were great because they were true GROUP efforts, with Roger creating the concepts and writing all the lyrics, and Dave and Rick writing much of the music and doing much of the singing. Animals, though still great, comes very close to being a Roger solo album. The Wall even more so. Musically, it's Gilmour who provides the highlights. (Comfortably Numb was ALMOST written in time to make it onto Dave's 1978 solo debut, and the album would have been a chart-topper if it had.) With The Final Cut (a Floyd album in name only) and Pros and Cons, it's all about THE WORDS, lyric sheets that go on FOREVER, with seemingly very little thought put into THE MUSIC. Which sounds more like a Pink Floyd album to you? Pros and Cons? Or About Face?

Btw, I was a little bothered by Roger deciding to take DSOTM on the road last time out. It seemed like he was trying to claim it for himself, as if it was HIS album. It's not. Dave and Rick wrote a good deal of it, and Roger barely even sings on it. I thought it was a little disingenuous of Roger to present it as HIS masterpiece. The Wall I don't have a problem with. That's pretty much HIS baby. It makes more sense for him to do it than it would have made for Gilmour, Wright, and Mason to do it ... which is why they didn't do it, except for a few of the better songs, which, not coincidentally, were the same ones that Dave had been largely responsible for.

Very well put, mate. All that you're written is spot on.

No one's mentioned Radio KAOS. I used to like the album when it first came out, but it sounds very dated now. I saw the second Wembley Arena show (when a bloke claiming to be Syd Barrett 'rang' Roger on stage - "When are we going to play together?" - which really freaked Roger out and left him visibly shaken up afterwards). General consensus was that it was a better tour than Pros & Cons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 17:51 by Nikolai.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 14, 2010 22:08

sweetcharmedlife
Yeah in all honesty I would have to say that Wish You Were Here is actually my favorite PF album. It always gets overshadowed by Dark Side and very little of it has ever been played live other than the title track and Shine on. Altough when I saw the Gilmour solo tour in 2006 and he played all of SOYCD as well as Echoes. It was simply suberb.

One of the best Floyd boots you'll ever hear is 'Animal Instincts' from the '77 In The Flesh tour (Oakland I think). Consists of Animals and WYWH in their entirety plus a sprinkling of DSOTM & Careful With That Axe. Brilliant. It's generally regarded as such a good recording that with a bit of tweaking could have been an official release.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 14, 2010 22:15

Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.
Pink Floyd would never have had success if it weren't for Syd Barrett.
i'm amazed at how many people claim to be Pink Floyd fans but when i ask them if they like Syd's solo material as well, they respond with "who's Syd Barrett?"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 14, 2010 22:31

ROLLINGSTONE
sweetcharmedlife
Yeah in all honesty I would have to say that Wish You Were Here is actually my favorite PF album. It always gets overshadowed by Dark Side and very little of it has ever been played live other than the title track and Shine on. Altough when I saw the Gilmour solo tour in 2006 and he played all of SOYCD as well as Echoes. It was simply suberb.

One of the best Floyd boots you'll ever hear is 'Animal Instincts' from the '77 In The Flesh tour (Oakland I think). Consists of Animals and WYWH in their entirety plus a sprinkling of DSOTM & Careful With That Axe. Brilliant. It's generally regarded as such a good recording that with a bit of tweaking could have been an official release.
Yeah I think that was the show I had a ticket for. But being only 15 at the time. I gave into pressure from my big brother and gave my ticket to his friend.

Date: April 15, 2010 00:05

ROLLINGSTONE
sweetcharmedlife

I think it's the best Animals tour boot. The quality is superb for an audience recording from that era.

Date: April 15, 2010 00:07

bernardanderson
Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.
i'm amazed at how many people claim to be Pink Floyd fans but when i ask them if they like Syd's solo material as well, they respond with "who's Syd Barrett?"

You get that too? There are still quite a few Syd Barrett outtakes in the vaults. They probably won't see the light of day.

Date: April 15, 2010 01:29

Nikolai
tatters
Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.

Very well put, mate. All that you're written is spot on.

No one's mentioned Radio KAOS. I used to like the album when it first came out, but it sounds very dated now. I saw the second Wembley Arena show (when a bloke claiming to be Syd Barrett 'rang' Roger on stage - "When are we going to play together?" - which really freaked Roger out and left him visibly shaken up afterwards). General consensus was that it was a better tour than Pros & Cons.

I thought Radio KAOS was a better album than Pros and Cons. At least it had a few actual SONGS on it. A couple of them even had catchy hooks. The Radio KAOS concert I saw at Madison Square Garden was probably the best Waters concert I've been to. Unlike the Pros and Cons show, where he did a Floyd set, followed by a Pros and Cons set, the Radio KAOS show had the solo material interspersed between the Floyd songs in a roughly 2 to 1 ratio. He'd do two Floyd songs, then one from Radio KAOS. Much more enjoyable that way. The "phone calls" that were received onstage by the Los Angeles DJ Jim Ladd (a good friend of Roger's, whose voice is also heard on the album) were fake and pre-recorded. They were funny, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-15 01:34 by tatters.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 15, 2010 02:29

bernardanderson
Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.

I'd agree with you to an extent Bernard. There is no doubt on the strength of the first album that Syd gave the band the platform of quality and mystique to propel them to initial fame and success. Having said that, one could argue that had Syd not fell apart then Dave Gilmour may never have joined and the band would probably have gone in an entirely different direction.Possibly disappearing. Who can say if Roger Waters would ever have come to the fore as a song writer?
What Syd certainly also lent the band, albeit by default was the backdrop subject matter to DSOTM, WYWH(in particular) and big chunks of The Wall. By Roger's own admission many of his musical strategems were based around Syd and his persona/psyche for those albums. So to that end, Syd never really left the band.

It's a fair point about some 'mainstream' Floyd fans not knowing about Syd but a large part of that may be a generational issue. I'd guess if you asked a lot of people who claimed to be Stones fans under a certain age about Brian Jones it's doubtful they'd know much about him. Maybe a hazy recognition of the name at best.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 15, 2010 03:10

According to the link from the 1st post on this thread, Doyle Bramhall is not even in the band so discussing him with this 2010 tour is a mute point.

"The band currently consists of Roger Waters on Bass/Vox, Snowy White and Dave Kilminster on guitars and California group Venice doing male backing vocals."

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 15, 2010 09:19

Im anxious to see this show, because I want to know how much of Floyd's 1980-81 stage show Waters will bring back. I would think it only natural for him to build an actual wall across the stage and tear it down, but will he come out of a hole in the wall and sing "Nobody Home", or will a "surrogate band" perform the material? If Waters recreates some of the more memorable parts of Floyd's stage show it will be entertaining.

Date: April 15, 2010 16:26

I read something about there being a 240-foot wide wall. That's gotta be a mistake. No way a 240-foot wall is gonna fit inside an arena. Not even if it's erected across the length, as opposed to the width, of the arena. Maybe it was in reference to the wall he built for the 1990 Berlin performance, which was outdoors.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: April 15, 2010 17:08

Roger seems to still get the great surround sound that Pink Floyd did in the 70's. Gilmour seemed to have the best sound I have seen him with in his 2006 tour. But, nothing like Waters sound.

I have seen Waters tours the last two times around. When I saw him at an Ampitheater, it was good. But, when I saw him indoors where he could have the proper sound system, it was amazing. I'd go see him just to hear the incredible sound that he can produce with his engineers. The 'sound' at his concerts is unbelievable. I'm there!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 15, 2010 17:08

Seriously, someone's gonna watch this show? I'm planning to visit Liberaces grave instead...

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 15, 2010 18:51

Come On
Seriously, someone's gonna watch this show? I'm planning to visit Liberaces grave instead...

[www.gravehunter.net] here ya go

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 15, 2010 22:00

I think I'd still not mind checking out this tour...

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 15, 2010 22:35

Pink Floyd is brilliant especially Roger Waters..when I was doing my apprenticeship as a Bricklayer we had *Another Brick in The Wall* on most days..excellent.

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: April 16, 2010 00:04

ROLLINGSTONE
bernardanderson
Strider
The Greek

^^^This sums it up.

I'd agree with you to an extent Bernard. There is no doubt on the strength of the first album that Syd gave the band the platform of quality and mystique to propel them to initial fame and success. Having said that, one could argue that had Syd not fell apart then Dave Gilmour may never have joined and the band would probably have gone in an entirely different direction.Possibly disappearing. Who can say if Roger Waters would ever have come to the fore as a song writer?
What Syd certainly also lent the band, albeit by default was the backdrop subject matter to DSOTM, WYWH(in particular) and big chunks of The Wall. By Roger's own admission many of his musical strategems were based around Syd and his persona/psyche for those albums. So to that end, Syd never really left the band.

It's a fair point about some 'mainstream' Floyd fans not knowing about Syd but a large part of that may be a generational issue. I'd guess if you asked a lot of people who claimed to be Stones fans under a certain age about Brian Jones it's doubtful they'd know much about him. Maybe a hazy recognition of the name at best.

^^^ROLLINGSTONE - Well said.^^^

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home