Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT:Roger Waters - The Wall US Tour 2010
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 13, 2010 17:26

T&A
swan song? baloney. clapton's had a few swan songs, too. when the swan actually sings, i'll believe it...

There's no reason not to believe Roger when he says "This will probably be it". Wnen he announced his DSOTM tour a few years ago he said it would be the last time he'd ever play DSOTM, and it would now appear that he's kept that promise. And considering how rarely Dave tours (only TWO solo tours ever, '84 and '06), this could very well be the last chance to hear Pink Floyd music performed live by someone who was actually IN Pink Floyd.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 18:04

Too bad, I would have loved to see that show. And why not break out Animals! That one is my fav by far!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 13, 2010 18:08

whitem8
Too bad, I would have loved to see that show. And why not break out Animals! That one is my fav by far!
Animals is really good. Doesn't get a lot of attention. But whenever I go back and listen to it,it sounds really good.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-13 19:11 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 13, 2010 18:11

tatters
T&A
swan song? baloney. clapton's had a few swan songs, too. when the swan actually sings, i'll believe it...

There's no reason not to believe Roger when he says "This will probably be it". Wnen he announced his DSOTM tour a few years ago he said it would be the last time he'd ever play DSOTM, and it would now appear that he's kept that promise. And considering how rarely Dave tours (only TWO solo tours ever, '84 and '06), this could very well be the last chance to hear Pink Floyd music performed live by someone who was actually IN Pink Floyd.

it'll be it unless it's not; until then there's no it

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 13, 2010 18:27

whitem8

Same here, Whitey. What an album - dark, bitter, twisted and angry. Dogs is also strangely true (no surprise, given its creator). Thoroughly anticipated the 80s did that song.

Date: April 13, 2010 18:29

sweetcharmedlife
whitem8
Animals is really good. Doesn't get a lot of attention. But whenevr I go back and listen to it,it sounds really good.

It needs a full upgrade, as they did with Dark Side of The Moon (the latest version - released on SACD) sounds almost as good as the album did on vinyl, which is saying something.

The best way to hear Animals (and Wish You Were Here, Meddle and The Wall) is still on vinyl. For now.

Date: April 13, 2010 19:16

tatters
trainarollin
Doyle Bromhall II was IMHO not a good fit in for Waters band. IMHO fans want to hear the solos they know and love, not a tex-mex version. I saw them a couple times and solos in some cases were left for Doyle to create. Other than that I liked Doyle's work in Arc Angels.

It's impossible to find a guitar player who'd be a good fit for Roger's band because only Gilmour sounds like Gilmour. I saw Roger's very first solo shows back in '84 when he had CLAPTON playing guitar and even Eric wasn't a good fit. None of the Gilmour "atmosphere". None of Dave's "space".

I've got a couple of boots from that tour. They're very good, but you're absolutely right. Floyd songs don't sound right without Gilmour.

That said, what did you make of the post-Waters Floyd shows? I didn't think much of the albums, but I saw both tours and they were brilliant - especially the Division Bell/Pulse shows.

Date: April 13, 2010 19:19

Nikolai
tatters
trainarollin
Doyle Bromhall II was IMHO not a good fit in for Waters band. IMHO fans want to hear the solos they know and love, not a tex-mex version. I saw them a couple times and solos in some cases were left for Doyle to create. Other than that I liked Doyle's work in Arc Angels.

It's impossible to find a guitar player who'd be a good fit for Roger's band because only Gilmour sounds like Gilmour. I saw Roger's very first solo shows back in '84 when he had CLAPTON playing guitar and even Eric wasn't a good fit. None of the Gilmour "atmosphere". None of Dave's "space".

I've got a couple of boots from that tour. They're very good, but you're absolutely right. Floyd songs don't sound right without Gilmour.

That said, what did you make of the post-Waters Floyd shows? I didn't think much of the albums, but I saw both tours and they were brilliant - especially the Division Bell/Pulse shows.

I saw 1 post Waters show. It was good. But I think the Gilmour solo show I saw in 2006 when he had Rick Wright playing with him. Was even better. Of course it was in a theatre.so that helped.

Date: April 13, 2010 19:31

sweetcharmedlife
Nikolai
tatters
trainarollin

I saw 1 post Waters show. It was good. But I think the Gilmour solo show I saw in 2006 when he had Rick Wright playing with him. Was even better. Of course it was in a theatre.so that helped.

I regret not seeing Gilmour live at the Albert Hall.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2010 19:35

Nikolai
Hairball
I'm a big fan of THE WALL, but then again I was fortunate to see the original WALL tour in L.A. in 1980 twice.
The memories are intermingled with the music and the entire live spectacle, and when I hear anything from the Wall these days,
I have "flashbacks" from those concerts. It's not my favorite Pink Floyd album musically (that would be Dark Side, then Wish You Were Here, and followed by Animals),
but THE WALL was an album that needed to be experienced live with all of the theatrical elements to experience it properly in my opinion.
Now everyone will have their chance...minus Gilmour and Richard Wright of course.

I did see the Roger Waters Dark Side tour (and several other times in the past),and it was great...but there was definitely something missing, specifically Gilmours guitar and vocals.
On the other hand, I've seen Gilmour solo shows several times in the past, and it seemed more like a Pink Floyd tribute show than anything else.
When there's no Roger, there's no Pink Floyd in my book. Sad they couldn't reunite for this, it would have been the ultimate reunion of a lifetime.

You like 'Meddle' at all, Hairball? I always include that in the peerless run of albums Floyd released in the 70s.

I saw The Wall too - at Earls Court. I was all of 13 at the time and into punk. Pink Floyd were meant to be 'the enemy', but a friend of mine's dad had tickets, so we went. I thought it was an amazing show.

It's a shame Gilmour and Waters won't reunite for a final tour, but some rifts are too deep. And neither need the money or the hassle.

Yes...I love it Nikolai! But I consider the three I mentioned above (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals) as the 'Holy Trinity",
Probably because those are the ones that I grew up with the most (I was 9 when Dark Side came out), and my older bro played it endlessly.
Meddle came out just a bit before my time, and was something I discovered later. Just like all the ones before it, and the Syd-era stuff...I didn't discover or grasp until later.
The when the Wall came out I was 17 and in High School, and it seemed to speak to me at that time (even though as you say, they were considered the "enemy" ).
I was getting into punk and reggae, had seen the Clash, and didn't really have time for "classic rock". But I made room for it, and am glad I did.
I've always loved Stones, Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, etc., right alongside The Clash, Marley, Sex Pistols, X, etc., and like to consider myself a well-rounded fan of all types of music!

Date: April 13, 2010 20:24

Hairball
Nikolai
Hairball
I'm a big fan of THE WALL, but then again I was fortunate to see the original WALL tour in L.A. in 1980 twice.
The memories are intermingled with the music and the entire live spectacle, and when I hear anything from the Wall these days,
I have "flashbacks" from those concerts. It's not my favorite Pink Floyd album musically (that would be Dark Side, then Wish You Were Here, and followed by Animals),
but THE WALL was an album that needed to be experienced live with all of the theatrical elements to experience it properly in my opinion.
Now everyone will have their chance...minus Gilmour and Richard Wright of course.

I did see the Roger Waters Dark Side tour (and several other times in the past),and it was great...but there was definitely something missing, specifically Gilmours guitar and vocals.
On the other hand, I've seen Gilmour solo shows several times in the past, and it seemed more like a Pink Floyd tribute show than anything else.
When there's no Roger, there's no Pink Floyd in my book. Sad they couldn't reunite for this, it would have been the ultimate reunion of a lifetime.

You like 'Meddle' at all, Hairball? I always include that in the peerless run of albums Floyd released in the 70s.

I saw The Wall too - at Earls Court. I was all of 13 at the time and into punk. Pink Floyd were meant to be 'the enemy', but a friend of mine's dad had tickets, so we went. I thought it was an amazing show.

It's a shame Gilmour and Waters won't reunite for a final tour, but some rifts are too deep. And neither need the money or the hassle.

Yes...I love it Nikolai! But I consider the three I mentioned above (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals) as the 'Holy Trinity",
Probably because those are the ones that I grew up with the most (I was 9 when Dark Side came out), and my older bro played it endlessly.
Meddle came out just a bit before my time, and was something I discovered later. Just like all the ones before it, and the Syd-era stuff...I didn't discover or grasp until later.
The when the Wall came out I was 17 and in High School, and it seemed to speak to me at that time (even though as you say, they were considered the "enemy" ).
I was getting into punk and reggae, had seen the Clash, and didn't really have time for "classic rock". But I made room for it, and am glad I did.
I've always loved Stones, Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, etc., right alongside The Clash, Marley, Sex Pistols, X, etc., and like to consider myself a well-rounded fan of all types of music!

Cracking post, mate! You're right about The Holy Trinity. Those three albums are peerless. I love Animals the most. That was a right howl of disgust at and about humanity.

I hear you on The Wall. I thought, in some ways, it was the most 'punk' of their albums. Not in the music, but in the attitude. Another Brick in the Wall was a playground favourite.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2010 21:14

i used to play the hell out of the wall .i bought the wall the first day it came out .my mother hated when i blasted another brick in the wall (we dont need no education)

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 13, 2010 21:15

maumau wrote:

first, you may want to add an ole ot at the head of this and then
oh no not him and the wall again!
)

Yeah, right! Can you believe it. Roger doing The Wall again. He must lack good ideas. Ideas that need Gilmour and Mason to flesh out. I guess he`s still one of the "angry young men". I`m sure he votes for Labour party.

Date: April 13, 2010 21:33

noughties
maumau wrote:

first, you may want to add an ole ot at the head of this and then
oh no not him and the wall again!
)

Yeah, right! Can you believe it. Roger doing The Wall again. He must lack good ideas. Ideas that need Gilmour and Mason to flesh out. I guess he`s still one of the "angry young men". I`m sure he votes for Labour party.

I don't think he does. He supports The Countryside Alliance. Plus I don't think he's released an album of original songs since Amused To Death in the early 90s.

Date: April 14, 2010 01:46

whitem8

Because he knows he'll sell more tickets touring the The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon. If he REALLY wanted to do something artistically satisfying, and at the same time take care of some unfinished business, he'd tour The Final Cut, which has NEVER been performed in its entirety. But he'd have trouble filling theatres if he did that. The Wall will pack arenas, and COULD play stadiums if he wanted it to.

Date: April 14, 2010 01:57

Nikolai
tatters
trainarollin

Didn't see Floyd in 1987-88, but I did see them at Yankee Stadium in 1994. One of the 3 or 4 most enjoyable concerts I've ever been to. I was out of my mind that night. Delirious. "GOLD lasers, man!" Also caught a Gilmour solo show at the Beacon Theatre in '84. I think he played all of his About Face album, a couple things off the first solo album, and two or three Floyd songs. Sorry I didn't get to see him in 2006.

Date: April 14, 2010 03:07

tatters
whitem8

Because he knows he'll sell more tickets touring the The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon. If he REALLY wanted to do something artistically satisfying, and at the same time take care of some unfinished business, he'd tour The Final Cut, which has NEVER been performed in its entirety. But he'd have trouble filling theatres if he did that. The Wall will pack arenas, and COULD play stadiums if he wanted it to.
He'd have trouble filling a laundromat if he played all of The Final Cut.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2010 03:34

The Final Cut is definitely a tough one to grasp, definitely not for the meek or timid...or most people for that matter.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 03:35

sometimes I wish our Rolling Sotnes were a bit more intelectual as they aged, not just "sparks will fly, sharks will cry . . ."

Date: April 14, 2010 05:38

NorthShoreBlues2
sometimes I wish our Rolling Sotnes were a bit more intelectual as they aged, not just "sparks will fly, sharks will cry . . ."
What about this recent classic:
Everybody's talking
Showing up their wits
The moon is yellow but I'm like jello
Staring down your tits

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 05:47

I positively love The Wall. In fact, for me, Pink Floyd begins and ends with The Wall. No other album of their's is needed. I've never understood the love that Darkside gets. Granted I've not listened to a whoooooooooooole of Pink Floyd and I've always felt like I was missing something, as really big intellectuals always loved them and I could never get into them aside from The Wall, which is one of the 50 greatest albums of all time IMO.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 14, 2010 05:57

tatters
His band is fine, but they don't sound like Pink Floyd. Dave's guitar, and Dave's voice, is the sound of Pink Floyd. Still, if you're a Floyd fan, you pretty much HAVE to see this tour. I'd love to see him at Nassau Coliseum, where Floyd performed The Wall in a five-night stand in Feb. 1980.

I agree Dave Gilmour is Pink Floyd. Love his voice. Its a pity Dave can't join forces with Roger. As for going, I think I will pass, I prefer Dave's voice. I'll just have to bring out my 3 bootleg dvds to watch.

Date: April 14, 2010 06:04

Yeah in all honesty I would have to say that Wish You Were Here is actually my favorite PF album. It always gets overshadowed by Dark Side and very little of it has ever been played live other than the title track and Shine on. Altough when I saw the Gilmour solo tour in 2006 and he played all of SOYCD as well as Echoes. It was simply suberb.

Date: April 14, 2010 06:13

Yeah WYWH is incredible. I will never forget hearing it the first time, SHine on with that incredible lead riff that Gilmore repeats at the beginning. SO POWERFUL! It is hard to say which is the best from the trinity, but for some reason Animals is so dense and complex, not as easily accessible, but so powerful. And only FIVE songs! Some fantastic and complex melodies on that and incredible lyrics. I have a cool boot, called Raving and Drooling with early live versions of Animals.
And another thing about Meddle, it has one of their most beautiful songs, FEARLESS! Wow what a stunner that is!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 14, 2010 11:41

"The Wall" is Pink Floyd for men in suits, your granny, and all the casual fans...

Date: April 14, 2010 12:24

whitem8
Yeah WYWH is incredible. I will never forget hearing it the first time, SHine on with that incredible lead riff that Gilmore repeats at the beginning. SO POWERFUL! It is hard to say which is the best from the trinity, but for some reason Animals is so dense and complex, not as easily accessible, but so powerful. And only FIVE songs! Some fantastic and complex melodies on that and incredible lyrics. I have a cool boot, called Raving and Drooling with early live versions of Animals.
And another thing about Meddle, it has one of their most beautiful songs, FEARLESS! Wow what a stunner that is!

Meddle's a great album, and I'm glad you've picked up on the sublime Fearless. Beautiful beautiful song.

Question for you - is Seamus their worst ever song?

Raving and Drooling (later rewritten as Sheep) and You've Got To Be Crazy (Later rewritten as Dogs) are a case in point that Floyd needed Waters, as much as he needed them. They're great songs in their own right, but Waters tying them into his misanthropic take on humanity really transformed them. Animals, as an album, was almost a perfect counterpoint to Wish You Were Here. The latter is an angry album (most of the ire directed at the music industry), but it's a fragile, heartbroken one too. Animals, on the other hand, is relentlessly dark and plain nasty. Not even Pigs on the Wing redeems it.

Date: April 14, 2010 12:27

Now, we've all talked about the Holy Trinity/Quartet - DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall.

How do you all rate the earlier albums?

My list goes thus:

1). Meddle
2). Piper
3). Saucerful
4). Atom Heart Mother
5). Ummagumma

I've excluded the soundtracks. We can bicker about those later.

Date: April 14, 2010 14:14

Ok,
my top five of the early ones are exactly as you have them Nikolai! More is fantastic and I might put that one in above Ummagumma....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2010 15:07

to me floyd is roger waters (i love dave gilmours guitar),but floyd's genius is the demented twisted briliant mind of roger waters .you can not replace his voice .i saw both post waters floyd tours and have caught roger waters live with the above mentioned doyle bramhal (who i like on the lefthanded strat).to bad we could not put them all together for one more tour but now with the passing of rick wright live 8 was the final cut and thank god they reunited for one last time .talk about artistic integrity where they always resisted the lure of the big money .i love animals big time some of the floyd's best work if you ask me .

Date: April 14, 2010 15:51

There was an interesting moment in Roger's recent DSOTM concerts. I think it was during a song from the Amused To Death album. There was some sort of inflatable "astronaut" floating high above the crowd. And out of the sound system came the voice of the HAL 9000 computer from the film 2001. It was from the part of the movie where Dave is "disabling" HAL.

"Dave .... my mind is going .... my mind is going ..... I can feel it ..... I can feel it ..... Dave .... I'm afraid ..... I'm afraid ..... Dave"

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 16:21 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home