Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT:Roger Waters - The Wall US Tour 2010
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 12, 2010 18:01

Roger Waters’ will be performing his rock opera The Wall in a series of concerts on The Wall Tour 2010. The US dates have been announced on his new website in what is thought to be the first leg of the tour. Hopefully Europe will happen in 2011.

Commencing on 15th September 2010 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, the tour will see The Wall performed live 35 times for what is one of the most eagerly anticipated tours of the Pink Floyd members past and present.

Roger Waters The Wall Tour 2010 Dates, Venues & Tickets

September 15: Toronto -- Air Canada Centre
September 20: Chicago -- United Center
September 21: Chicago -- United Center
September 26: Pittsburgh -- Consol Energy Center
September 28: Cleveland -- Quicken Loans Arena
September 30: Boston -- TD Garden
October 5: New York -- Madison Square Garden
October 8: Buffalo -- HSBC Arena
October 10: Washington DC -- Verizon Center
October 12: Uniondale -- Nassau Coliseum
October 15: Hartford -- XL Center
October 17: Ottawa -- ScotiaBank Place
October 19: Montreal -- Bell Centre
October 22: Columbus -- Schottenstein Center
October 24: Detroit -- Palace of Auburn Hills
October 26: Omaha -- Qwest Center
October 27: St Paul -- Xcel Energy Center
October 29: St. Louis -- Scottrade Center
October 30: Kansas City -- Sprint Center
November 3: New York -- Izod Center
November 8: Philadelphia -- Wachovia Center
November 9: Philadelphia -- Wachovia Center
November 13: Fort Lauderdale -- Bank Atlantic Center
November 16: Tampa -- St. Pete Times Forum
November 18: Atlanta -- Philips Arena
November 20: Houston -- Toyota Center
November 21: Dallas -- American Airlines Center
November 23: Denver -- Pepsi Center
November 26: Las Vegas -- MGM Grand Garden Arena
November 27: Phoenix -- US Airways Center
November 29: Los Angeles -- The Forum
December 6: San Jose -- HP Pavilion
December 10: Vancouver -- General Motors Place
December 11: Tacoma -- Tacoma Dome
December 13: Anaheim -- Honda Cente

Inspiration Behind The Wall

The Wall album was inspired by Roger Waters feelings towards the large scale concerts they had found themselves doing on The Animals Tour of 1977, particularly on July 6th when Roger found himself spitting at a fan who was screaming and shouting whilst Pink Floyd were trying to perform their intimate music to the large crowd. Having severe stomach cramps on 29th June at The Spectrum in Philadelphia and being injected with a muscle relaxant to “ease his pain and get him back on his feet again” instead of diagnosing him for the condition he had also had an influence as heard in a verse in Comfortably Numb! These events amongst many others gave him feelings he was becoming more and more isolated from his audience and people in general hence the feeling of a wall developing around him. The seeds for The Wall were sown!

Roger started writing The Wall in September 1977 and by January 1978 had assembled the songs into a conceptual form resulting in a tentatively titled “Bricks In The Wall” 90 minute demo tape. He presented this to the band along with another project The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking at a meeting in Britannia Row in July 1978. The band decided on The Wall as their next project and Roger would go on to release The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking as his first solo album in 1984.

[www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-13 18:24 by Nikolai.

Re: Roger Waters - The Wall US Tour 2010
Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 12, 2010 18:11

The Marquee will read: "Puppet Show and Roger Waters."

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 12, 2010 18:25

European dates are indeed to be annonced for 2011.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 12, 2010 18:57

this sounds awesome .

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 12, 2010 19:04

I wonder how much he's gonna soak people for tickets?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 12, 2010 19:47

first, you may want to add an ole ot at the head of this and then
oh no not him and the wall again!
)

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: April 12, 2010 20:08

Ticketprices 55 - 250 dollar

Date: April 12, 2010 21:08

Anyone tell me why Waters can't leave The Wall alone. He even issued two albums of refried outtakes from it (The Final Cut and Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-12 21:11 by Nikolai.

Re: OT:Roger Waters - The Wall US Tour 2010
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2010 21:17

Perhaps this will answer your question Nikolai...

Why am I doing the Wall again now?
Roger Waters, 2010

I recently came across this quote of mine from 22 years ago:

” What it comes down to for me is this: Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?”

I believe this is still a supremely relevant question and the jury is out. There is a lot of commercial clutter on the net, and a lot of propaganda, but I have a sense that just beneath the surface understanding is gaining ground. We just have to keep blogging, keep twittering, keep communicating, keep sharing ideas.

30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old.

It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with it’s concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever! All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.

This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years.

In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more ‘humane’ ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another.

I disagree.

In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.

I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, ” You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

- Roger Waters, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waters to celebrate 'Wall' anniversary with tour

[www.sfgate.com]

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer
Monday, April 12, 2010
Jeff Christensen / AP

Recording artist Roger Waters poses for a portrait in New York, Wednesday, April 7, 2010.
Images
Recording artist Roger Waters poses for a portrait in New...Recording artist Roger Waters poses for a portrait in New... View Larger Images

(04-12) 10:03 PDT New York (AP) --

It's been 30 years, but Pink Floyd's "The Wall" still means a great deal in the rock world — and to its co-creator Roger Waters.

So to commemorate the groundbreaking album's anniversary, Waters plans a tour this fall of the music from the concept album, with new staging that will bring the story — loosely inspired by his life — to a new generation.

"In the 30-odd years since I first performed this piece, it's taken on some new meanings for me," Waters, co-founder, bassist and main lyricist for Pink Floyd, said in an interview last week.

"Thirty years ago when I was kind of an angry and not very young lad, I found myself driven into defensive positions because I was scared of stuff, and I've come to realize that in that personal story, maybe somewhere hidden in there exists an allegory for more general and universal themes, political and social themes," he said. "It's really for that reason that I decided that I'd try and create a new performance of this piece using a lot of the same things that we did all those years ago."

But Waters said he won't just be dusting off the show that the now-defunct Pink Floyd performed decades ago. In fact, Waters said part of the excitement surrounding his new staging of "The Wall" involves new technology that allows him to do things he could only dream about in the 1980s and '90s.

"Projection systems now are completely different from what they were then, which means that I would be able to project over the entire 250-foot expanse of the wall ... which we couldn't do in those days," he said.

Though the tour promises plenty of grand theatrics, more important to Waters is the legendary album's political and social commentary, which he believes is still relative.

"When we did it then, we were after the end of the Vietnam War, and we're right now in the middle of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, so there's a very powerful anti-war message in `The Wall.' There was then and there still is now," he said.

Waters plans a segment in the show that will pay tribute to soldiers who lost their lives, not only in the recent wars, but also in other conflicts.

The U.S. tour will kick off Sept. 15 in Toronto and end Dec. 15 in Anaheim, Calif. It will also head to Europe.

For Waters, the concerts will likely mark the end of his performing days.

"I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm not like B.B. King, or Muddy Waters," the 66-year-old said. "My friend Eric Clapton ... he'll be playing guitar and he'll be on stage 'til the day he dies, because that's what he does."

"I'm not a great vocalist or a great instrumentalist or whatever, but I still have the fire in my belly, and I have something to say," he continued. "I have a swan song in me and I think this will probably be it."

Date: April 12, 2010 21:25

Thanks Hairball.

"I have a swan song in me and I think this will probably be it."

As in: this is the last time ....

I may well go. I saw a Radio KAOS show at Wembley Arena. It was ludicrous and actually quite a lot of fun. Waters is like an exiled tyrant, isn't he?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 12, 2010 21:35

swan song? baloney. clapton's had a few swan songs, too. when the swan actually sings, i'll believe it...

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 12, 2010 21:37

used to be my fave (hence my nick) but now I couldn't care less...

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: April 12, 2010 21:50

Ironic that Waters first conceived "The Wall" as a reaction to Pink Floyd's megatours, and now here he is about to take it on one! I remember reading in a Floyd bio that some promoter offered them big bucks to perform "The Wall" at Shea Stadium or something (this was when they were performing it in LA and NY in '80). The other three were game, but Waters refused because he thought it would seem hypocritical. Clearly he's changed his tune over the years, but I get the idea that this "Wall" tour is Roger's big retirement package.

I dunno...I love Pink Floyd, but I've never been a big fan of "The Wall". IMO it's okay if you're a depressed, self-absorbed teenager but as a fourty two year old I find all the whinging self pity in the thing a bit much. I haven't listened to the entire album in years. I'd sooner see Waters bust out "Animals" in its entirety (sorta like '77)- "Animals" has always been my favourite of the Floyd's.

...Maybe the Stones could take a page from this. As a final farewell, what with all the hype surrounding the upcoming "Exile" repackaging, do a tour where they perform "Exile" in its entirety (along with the obligatory warhorse encores), maybe have Mick Taylor sit in New York or something...but, you know, as if...cool smiley

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 12, 2010 21:55

don't be fooled! this is not THE Wall tour! it's something entirely new. Waters wrote a concept album about his facebook wall and how nobody ever writes on it and the loneliness and emptiness he feels because of it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 12, 2010 22:21

Dude's got issues.moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 12, 2010 22:53

US Tour that will start in Toronto, that's funny.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 13, 2010 00:25

It's kind of like how Mel Brooks keeps shoving "The Producers" down everyones throat.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 13, 2010 01:24

Nikolai
Anyone tell me why Waters can't leave The Wall alone. He even issued two albums of refried outtakes from it (The Final Cut and Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking).

Because he considers it to be his masterpiece, which it may well be. The fact that it is NOT also Pink Floyd's best album should tell something about whether or not Roger was all there was to Pink Floyd.

Date: April 13, 2010 01:33

trainarollin
It's kind of like how Mel Brooks keeps shoving "The Producers" down everyones throat.

I guess you could say the same thing about PT and Tommy and Quadrophenia, but that's how it is with these concept albums. They take on a life of their own and never really go away. It's interesting that after doing solo shows in '84, '85 and '87, Roger took 12 years off from the road. Since his '99 comeback tour, he's been relatively active as far as touring goes. It's almost as if he was waiting to make sure Dave wasn't gonna be taking HIS version of Pink Floyd on the road anymore. By '99, it had been five years since the last Gilmour-as-Floyd show and Roger, confident that he wouldn't have Dave to compete with anymore, returned. "Here I am!" he seemed to say. "I'm all there is now! It's me or nothing!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-13 03:00 by tatters.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 13, 2010 02:33

Roger Waters *In The Flesh *DVD his left handed Guitarist and vocalist Doyle Bramhall.ll is brilliant and his wife does backing vocals shes a bit of alright to.Andy Fairweather said he was influenced by The Stones and The Beatles hes done work with Bill Wyman I think.Roger Waters whole band is brilliant I wouldnt mind seeing him if he toured over here again.He was actually over here a few years ago on tour he loves his fishing he spent quite a bit of time on our Lakes trying to get the big ones.

Date: April 13, 2010 02:52

His band is fine, but they don't sound like Pink Floyd. Dave's guitar, and Dave's voice, is the sound of Pink Floyd. Still, if you're a Floyd fan, you pretty much HAVE to see this tour. I'd love to see him at Nassau Coliseum, where Floyd performed The Wall in a five-night stand in Feb. 1980.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 03:18

Yeah, I am of mixed feelings. Actually, the Wall is one of my least favorite Floyd discs. It has its moments, but actually I prefer Pro's and Cons! And that disc is not outtakes from The Wall, but actually a completely separate concept, as was The Final Cut. I am more bummed that I missed his Dark Side of the Moon tour! That would have been incredible!

Date: April 13, 2010 04:10

tatters
trainarollin

I guess you could say the same thing about PT and Tommy and Quadrophenia, but that's how it is with these concept albums. They take on a life of their own and never really go away. It's interesting that after doing solo shows in '84, '85 and '87, Roger took 12 years off from the road. Since his '99 comeback tour, he's been relatively active as far as touring goes. It's almost as if he was waiting to make sure Dave wasn't gonna be taking HIS version of Pink Floyd on the road anymore. By '99, it had been five years since the last Gilmour-as-Floyd show and Roger, confident that he wouldn't have Dave to compete with anymore, returned. "Here I am!" he seemed to say. "I'm all there is now! It's me or nothing!"

PT has overdone the Tommy thing.

Date: April 13, 2010 04:13

Doyle Bromhall II was IMHO not a good fit in for Waters band. IMHO fans want to hear the solos they know and love, not a tex-mex version. I saw them a couple times and solos in some cases were left for Doyle to create. Other than that I liked Doyle's work in Arc Angels.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2010 04:59

I'm a big fan of THE WALL, but then again I was fortunate to see the original WALL tour in L.A. in 1980 twice.
The memories are intermingled with the music and the entire live spectacle, and when I hear anything from the Wall these days,
I have "flashbacks" from those concerts. It's not my favorite Pink Floyd album musically (that would be Dark Side, then Wish You Were Here, and followed by Animals),
but THE WALL was an album that needed to be experienced live with all of the theatrical elements to experience it properly in my opinion.
Now everyone will have their chance...minus Gilmour and Richard Wright of course.

I did see the Roger Waters Dark Side tour (and several other times in the past),and it was great...but there was definitely something missing, specifically Gilmours guitar and vocals.
On the other hand, I've seen Gilmour solo shows several times in the past, and it seemed more like a Pink Floyd tribute show than anything else.
When there's no Roger, there's no Pink Floyd in my book. Sad they couldn't reunite for this, it would have been the ultimate reunion of a lifetime.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2010 10:08

Saw Watersless Floyd do Dark Side of the Moon in 1994 in Toronto, and Waters doing the same album in 2007. Very different sounding shows, both excellent.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 13, 2010 10:19

Hairball
I'm a big fan of THE WALL, but then again I was fortunate to see the original WALL tour in L.A. in 1980 twice.
The memories are intermingled with the music and the entire live spectacle, and when I hear anything from the Wall these days,
I have "flashbacks" from those concerts. It's not my favorite Pink Floyd album musically (that would be Dark Side, then Wish You Were Here, and followed by Animals),
but THE WALL was an album that needed to be experienced live with all of the theatrical elements to experience it properly in my opinion.
Now everyone will have their chance...minus Gilmour and Richard Wright of course.

I did see the Roger Waters Dark Side tour (and several other times in the past),and it was great...but there was definitely something missing, specifically Gilmours guitar and vocals.
On the other hand, I've seen Gilmour solo shows several times in the past, and it seemed more like a Pink Floyd tribute show than anything else.
When there's no Roger, there's no Pink Floyd in my book. Sad they couldn't reunite for this, it would have been the ultimate reunion of a lifetime.

You like 'Meddle' at all, Hairball? I always include that in the peerless run of albums Floyd released in the 70s.

I saw The Wall too - at Earls Court. I was all of 13 at the time and into punk. Pink Floyd were meant to be 'the enemy', but a friend of mine's dad had tickets, so we went. I thought it was an amazing show.

It's a shame Gilmour and Waters won't reunite for a final tour, but some rifts are too deep. And neither need the money or the hassle.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 13, 2010 12:44

Pros And Cons was not made up of Wall outtakes as it was proposed alongside the Wall as a project for Floyd in 77.

As Waters is performing in arenas how can this be hypocrasy because he said he wouldn't play stadiums?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2010 15:37

roger waters is a genius .david gilmour is a great guitarist !

Date: April 13, 2010 16:47

trainarollin
Doyle Bromhall II was IMHO not a good fit in for Waters band. IMHO fans want to hear the solos they know and love, not a tex-mex version. I saw them a couple times and solos in some cases were left for Doyle to create. Other than that I liked Doyle's work in Arc Angels.

It's impossible to find a guitar player who'd be a good fit for Roger's band because only Gilmour sounds like Gilmour. I saw Roger's very first solo shows back in '84 when he had CLAPTON playing guitar and even Eric wasn't a good fit. None of the Gilmour "atmosphere". None of Dave's "space".

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home