Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thumbs downOnly 30 minutes on the Exile re-issue DVD
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 28, 2010 21:23

Is it just me or does only a 30 minutes DVD release a bit tight?

Classic rock magazine reviewed the Ya-ya's release and mentioned that (as we all know) 30 minutes bonus material is only the tip of the iceburg. but of a wasted opportunity with the wealth of stuff available.

now looks like the same thing is happening with the Exile release. Parts of @#$%& blues, clips from the new documentary to be shown on BBC etc.

Other bands really put a lot of effort in making sure that a package is really value for money. lots of bonus material etc. A shame that these release's don't fully fulfil that potential. especially for a hudred squid.

rant over!! ah better>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-28 22:50 by Monkeytonkman.

Re: thumbs downOnly 30 minutes on the Exile re-issue
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 28, 2010 22:43

We will get the complete Ladies & Gentlemen (possibly with bonus material, who knows) on DVD and Bluray, as well as the 60 minute In Exile documentary this year. So that makes up for it to some extent. And I'm convinced that we will see more vault material in the future; this (along with Ya-Ya's) is hopefully just the beginning.

But yes, it doesn't really make sense to make a super deluxe edition of the Exile reissue and include a dvd with a mere 30 minutes of material. It's more like a promotional disc with no real value in itself. Because of this, I think few people will buy the super deluxe version and instead opt for the 2 CD package. That's what I will do myself, and then buy the complete L&G on dvd and watch the 60 minute docu in one way or another.

Re: thumbs downOnly 30 minutes on the Exile re-issue DVD
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:04

Although I would love to see/have Ladies And Gentleman or Skoolboy Blues (ha ha) I'm much more interested in the extra disc of leftovers than anything else. So I'll only be buying the double album edition.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:15

If I understand correctly the bonus CD in the Exile box is just a foretaste of DVDs to be released later this year (at least some of them). There are 20 (?) minutes excerpts of each Stones In Exile, Ladies & Gentlemen, and CS Blues on it. Is this correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-28 23:16 by midnrambler.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:19

No. Just 10 of each.

The only real reason to get the box set is if you absolutely HAVE to own the booklet.

You should be able to buy the 2-CD set, the double vinyl and the full-length DVD (which will be released a few weeks later) for an amount which when combined will be considerably less than the box set (which contains a shorter edit of the DVD)

Date: March 28, 2010 23:33

midnrambler
If I understand correctly the bonus CD in the Exile box is just a foretaste of DVDs to be released later this year (at least some of them). There are 20 (?) minutes excerpts of each Stones In Exile, Ladies & Gentlemen, and CS Blues on it. Is this correct?

If this ise case then it's a clear example that Rolling Stones Plc. is simply using the new DVD as a promotional toil, to be paid for by the fans under the illusion a quality, value for money package.

Many, many bands now release new material, with a feature length bonus DVD provided for a nominal fee. The Stones charging top whack and still not including valuable product smacks of the (well known) contempt and neglect that is obviously being held for the dedicated fan.

Woah. Vex! now i'm totally bummed.

Better now. Hahaa.

Rock on. always

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:34

I'm a bit confused. Is the DVD 60 minutes AND 30 minutes of Bonus (extras)???

Date: March 29, 2010 00:38

NorthShoreBlues2

I fear. the only DVD material is the faux promotional 30 minute DVd subversively advertising forthcoming materials that you just GOT's ta have!

Gimme at least an hour long DVD of material, without filler. That;s not asking too muc is it man

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2010 01:08

NorthShoreBlues2

No. The 30-minute version is an EDIT of whats on the standalone DVD release. The content of the bonus material on THAT release hasn't been confirmed yet.

The DVD thats being issued in June will consist of the 1-hour TV special being shown in the US and UK around the time of the Exile reissue's release in May 2010.

'Stones In Exile is the story of the making of the classic album Exile On Main Street, which was released in 1972 as a double LP and is considered by many to be their masterpiece. This title is due to be released in June with substantial bonus material and follows the broadcast of the main show by the BBC in late May, and the reissue of the album at the same time' - press release.

Date: March 29, 2010 01:16

Gazza
NorthShoreBlues2

'Stones In Exile is the story of the making of the classic album Exile On Main Street, which was released in 1972 as a double LP and is considered by many to be their masterpiece. This title is due to be released in June with substantial bonus material and follows the broadcast of the main show by the BBC in late May, and the reissue of the album at the same time' - press release.

Without doubt. Other bands would have included this release with the Exile album release. Not wait till they can release this as an independent release to garner further coffers

Woah Nelly!! Haha. I think I’m starting to see the light. ha

Super Deluxe Exile re-issue rip off ?
Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:14

Have just seen photos of new exile on the net.Am i right no postcards! well not 12 anyway.No separate cases for cds or dvd.Dvd only lasts 30 mins and all this for over a 100 quid! Think i will just get the cd version.

Re: Super Deluxe Exile re-issue rip off ?
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:19

It does seem rather costly .

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:20

I kind of agree with you. Especially the DVD seems to be only some kind of advertising DVD for other later released full DVDs. Quite poor...

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:24

Man, the Stones are milking this like a cow.

Date: March 28, 2010 23:26

I hear ya bro. other bands have released box sets of a comprable price and managed to provide far better value for money.

I'm gonna get the £100 set, but primarally for the vinyl records. but saying that they coulda at least put the new tracks on a new LP. It's these kinda touches that make a difference in my mind.

Keep on rockin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 00:01 by Monkeytonkman.

Date: March 28, 2010 23:26

Just think, they've yet to advertise the souvenir t-shirt!!!

Date: March 28, 2010 23:42

it costs way too much.

Date: March 28, 2010 23:44

I just think that the postcards are a must in a reissue of exile.Remember the virgin collectors reissues,they had the postcards.This is like sticky fingers without the zip!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:55

"Beware of repackaging" the Stones said after Decca put out Stone Age.

Now, I've nothing against the release of previously unissued material as long as it's of an acceptable quality and sold at a reasonable price.

The Stones are now rip-off merchants and not much else.

A Bigger Bang contains a few good tracks but is generally of a poor standard in my opinion. Not only that but they then had the nerve to issue it with two extra tracks in the hope that suckers would buy the same product (well,almost) twice.
The ticket prices on that tour were another rip-off and Keith's playing isn't what it was.

I'm tired of giving my hard-earned pay to multi-millionaires and not getting value for money.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:14

hmmm, what are you crying for ...?

1. You can get a remastered CD, because you like it or because you want to fill up the box you've bought (ca. 12€)

2. You like to hear those "horrible" forgotten songs. So you'll get the D-CD (ca. 20€)

3. You are a vinyl-freak, you can get those Exile-LPs (ca. 25€)

4. You want more, so buy thoses Exile Super Deluxe Boxes with D-CD, promo-docu-DVD, four cards, a booklet and the Exile-LP-sized Box (ca.80€)

No one is forced to buy anything of those things, but I'm very sure: Many fans will buy everything in different cases and boxes, they will run for those 7" Plundered vinyl, too.

And don't forget those SHM from Japan, you'll really "need" them, too ... moody smiley

So don't cry: Mick, Keef and UMC are going to give you all what you want ... winking smiley

HighwireC

PS.: I'll buy the D-CD, listen to the "new" songs and after that I can wait ...
Perhaps I'll get the box, if I'll still want it, for 50 €, next year ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 00:16 by HighwireC.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:28

HighwireC
hmmm, what are you crying for ...?

It´s less crying but more calculating...

As Gazza wrote in the other thread,the only reason to get the super deluxe edition
is the booklet...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:28

Not sure why they would bother to remaster the vinyl edition. That seems like a time and effort for the label since the original master is what sounds the best - on vinyl - and a waste of money for a Stones fan.

Hell, the reissued vinyl editions that CBS put out will sound better then the UME vinyl editions if they make the vinyl albums brickwalled...ha ha - better get a bungee cord for your needle arm to strap it down tight to the vinyl record.

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:32

Am I missing something? Are people being forced to buy the Exile remaster? Are squads of Stones goons rousting people from their beds and marching them down the street to the nearest music store, or forcing them to download it from iTunes?

You people are a bunch of whining crybabies. "Waaaaaa!!! Waaaaa!!! My opinion matters too!!! Listen to me!! I'm important!!! I listen to music!!!"

Go have your caretakers nuke some Gerber for you so you can enjoy a hot meal.

Date: March 29, 2010 00:34

...ha ha - better get a bungee cord for your needle arm to strap it down tight to the vinyl record.[/quote

Bwaaahahahaa.

I totally hear you there. time to get the pennies out and balance 'em on the needle!!!

Love it. but maybe not from a brang new vinyl release. sloppy neglect again maybe?.....

Ah well,

It's only rock n roll man. But I live it

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:52

saulsurvivor

Am I missing something? Are people being forced to buy the Exile remaster? Are squads of Stones goons rousting people from their beds and marching them down the street to the nearest music store, or forcing them to download it from iTunes?

Yes,exactly.
If you don´t buy the Exile remaster squads of Stones goons will

- cook you in Goat´s Head Soup,then
- beat you up to Black And Blue,after this
- throw you off the Bridges To Babylon and finally give you
- A Bigger Bang before they
- Shine A Light for you...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:59

smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 01:39

never understood the point of digitally remastered vinyl all i'm interested in is the bonus tracks

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 29, 2010 02:04

ghostryder13
never understood the point of digitally remastered vinyl all i'm interested in is the bonus tracks

Same here on both counts!

Date: March 29, 2010 02:18

How can you remaster vinyl?, isnt this the true 1972 sound .LEAVE IT ALONE!

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: March 29, 2010 02:28

Gotta have the outtakes, so the 2-CD set is a go.

But I own several complete copies of both CSB and L&G, as well as six (or maybe seven) vinyl copies of Exile, as well as some dandy vinyl rips. I'm pretty sure the *entire* BBC special will be available via torrent somewhere after it airs.

So it seems like I'd be paying (in Canada) an extra $90 for the book -- and the pretty package it all comes in.

I really want to see the book, but damn .....

(I also got pissed reading that Mick edited one of the longer outtakes down -- since the disc it will be on has only 40-45 minutes of music on it. FILL IT UP! Keith has talked about playing back the first run-through of Happy, which was only him, Bobby Keys and Jimmy Miller -- where the F is that recording? Arrggg.)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home