Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Super Deluxe Exile re-issue rip off ?
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 29, 2010 02:37

redsock

(I also got pissed reading that Mick edited one of the longer outtakes down -- since the disc it will be on has only 40-45 minutes of music on it. FILL IT UP! Keith has talked about playing back the first run-through of Happy, which was only him, Bobby Keys and Jimmy Miller -- where the F is that recording? Arrggg.)

Preach the truth brother!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2010 03:01

redsock
Gotta have the outtakes, so the 2-CD set is a go.

But I own several complete copies of both CSB and L&G, as well as six (or maybe seven) vinyl copies of Exile, as well as some dandy vinyl rips. I'm pretty sure the *entire* BBC special will be available via torrent somewhere after it airs.

So it seems like I'd be paying (in Canada) an extra $90 for the book -- and the pretty package it all comes in.

I really want to see the book, but damn .....

(I also got pissed reading that Mick edited one of the longer outtakes down -- since the disc it will be on has only 40-45 minutes of music on it. FILL IT UP! Keith has talked about playing back the first run-through of Happy, which was only him, Bobby Keys and Jimmy Miller -- where the F is that recording? Arrggg.)

Maybe wasnt recorded and as it was a 'first run through' was most likely barely listenable.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 29, 2010 03:57

His Majesty
ghostryder13
never understood the point of digitally remastered vinyl all i'm interested in is the bonus tracks

Same here on both counts!

same.
even if it means downloading off the web rather than purchasing !!
You can have the remastered stuff...

Re: The Words of One Syllable Department
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 29, 2010 10:45

tumbling phil
Have just seen photos of new exile on the net.Am i right no postcards!

ffs - on the other thread they were complaining that there are postcards: [www.iorr.org]

i love the Rolling Stones ... and i mean exactly the Rolling Stones

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 29, 2010 11:34

tumbling phil
How can you remaster vinyl?, isnt this the true 1972 sound .LEAVE IT ALONE!

What is the "true" 1972 vinyl-sound?
Standard LP? Or MFSL [www.popsike.com] ?

HighwireC

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 11:38

but then... which postcards?

the ones on the US edition or the UK?

they were different.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:38

Gazza
redsock
Gotta have the outtakes, so the 2-CD set is a go.

But I own several complete copies of both CSB and L&G, as well as six (or maybe seven) vinyl copies of Exile, as well as some dandy vinyl rips. I'm pretty sure the *entire* BBC special will be available via torrent somewhere after it airs.

So it seems like I'd be paying (in Canada) an extra $90 for the book -- and the pretty package it all comes in.

I really want to see the book, but damn .....

Maybe wasnt recorded and as it was a 'first run through' was most likely barely listenable.

Yes. Rough sketches and jams do have historical value, but obviously Keith and especially Mick are going for bonus tracks which sound as completed as possible on this reissue.

I wonder, if they will do similar bonus CDs in the future, with albums such as Beggars Banquet and Some Girls -- will they also be "Tattoo You"-like projects like this one? Then we'll be sitting with a bunch of (hopefully decent sounding) semi-new albums but still no real proper historical anthology of the Stones most important sessions.

This Exile reissue is very exciting (and I do prefer completed songs over rough outtakes myself), but in a few years when all the excitement has weared off, maybe it won't feel so amazing to hear Mick's 2010 studio work on old Exile tracks. Besides, Mick obviously thought this reissue was a lot of work that he won't repeat if it doesn't sell. But if he could for once leave the research work to someone else (read: Bill Wyman) he wouldn't have to bother, and we could get comprehensive vaults releases with historically correct tracks and dvds and booklets and everything for the sake of the future, our listening pleasure and the Stones' legacy.

End of rant.

Date: March 29, 2010 15:30

redsock
I also got pissed reading that Mick edited one of the longer outtakes down -- since the disc it will be on has only 40-45 minutes of music on it. FILL IT UP! )

They've always edited songs down to make them more suitable for release.

Most of the songs on 'Some Girls' were edited for example. Just because a song is longer, doesnt necessarily mean that it's better.

Date: March 29, 2010 15:34

LieB
This Exile reissue is very exciting (and I do prefer completed songs over rough outtakes myself), but in a few years when all the excitement has weared off, maybe it won't feel so amazing to hear Mick's 2010 studio work on old Exile tracks. Besides, Mick obviously thought this reissue was a lot of work that he won't repeat if it doesn't sell. But if he could for once leave the research work to someone else (read: Bill Wyman) he wouldn't have to bother, and we could get comprehensive vaults releases with historically correct tracks and dvds and booklets and everything for the sake of the future, our listening pleasure and the Stones' legacy.

End of rant.

Agreed, although in fairness (unless I've missed something as there's been a lot of info to take in) theyve indicated that he's only added a 'new' vocal to one song - and that was because it was an instrumental which didnt have any lyrics to begin with.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 29, 2010 15:47

I've read on the Dutch Stonesforum that there are rumours that they're planning to work on a Sticky reissue as well. But the source was very vague to me, so I can't say anything meaningful about that. In the meanwhile I've been thinking about the factors that set the (different!) prices for the different versions of the Exile reissue. Difficult for even an economist to answer that question. It's not simply a question of supply and demand.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home