Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Please tell me... What is so horrible with Streets Of Love???
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 31, 2010 16:45

nanker phelge
skipstone
Hey nanker - it wasn't worth it was it!

No not really- I was a bit disappointed- they should have released Rough Justice

+1

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 1, 2010 00:30

Well, the deal, it seems, with those Black And Blue songs with all that sha la la stuff is back then it was new and different and maybe accepted just enough but obviously it changed with Miss You and Emotional Rescue and whatever else that had lots of oh's and odd things. Now, or at least with SOL, maybe that kind of thing is just...awful bad.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 3, 2011 03:52

Sometimes I don't get it if some of you guys are still alive...Come on! SOL WAS great live and Keys To Yer Love and Blinded By Rainbows are also great soul songs.
The C C/B E-minor (instead of the predicted Aminor) in SOL is a little glimpse of the Glimmer genius IMHO.

It's just that the production could've been better.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 3, 2011 04:42

Awful tune. The weakest guitar solo, if you can call it that, on any Stones record, EVER. Sappy and quite sucky IMO. A MT solo might have made the tune palatable.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 3, 2011 05:31

MadMax
Sometimes I don't get it if some of you guys are still alive...Come on! SOL WAS great live and Keys To Yer Love and Blinded By Rainbows are also great soul songs...

As bad as Streets Of Love is, somehow Keys To Yer Love is worse. I really don't see how one calls them great soul songs. As for Blinded By Rainbows, I can't tell you why but I always liked that one.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 3, 2011 09:19

Doh! Streets of Love and Biggest Mistake is two strong reason for buying ABB(A)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 3, 2011 10:01

If you had two fingers, you could play that solo like a pro, OOOOF! Put on a ballad like "Winter" and hear the weaving and solo work by MT.Quite brilliant. Now, take 1/2 of that kind of guitar work on 'Winter"and place it on SOL. i'd like it alot then.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: May 3, 2011 12:50

Blueranger you are brave, standing Up for the things people put down !
I totally agree, "Streets of Love" is a great tune, thats the song that turned my daughter into the Stones.

It was great to hear it Live in Bergen 2006, but to bad they didn't play it in Oslo 2007 when my daughter went to her first Stones concert ever.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 3, 2011 12:59

stoneswashed77
don´t know what´s horrible.

love this song.

and want many more like this.

pop is better than rock. and mick is wise enough to know that.

you also like stonewashed jeans? ;-)

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 3, 2011 13:01

i cant tell you whats so horrible, because i cant listen to it. its so bad, my ears refuse to work!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 3, 2011 15:26

It's not one of their great ballads. But same goes for tracks like Rough justice as not beiing one of the real good rockers.
But SOL is not as bad as many say.No classic but a nice pop song for radio.
Although not a favourite I still can listen to it . .

Date: May 3, 2011 15:53

CousinC
It's not one of their great ballads. But same goes for tracks like Rough justice as not beiing one of the real good rockers.

Why is that? I've always liked RJ, one of the best tracks on ABB. In fact, one of the best rockers since Steel Wheels, imo.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 3, 2011 16:47

this song is 'a-w-f-u-l- baaad'

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:17

I like it very much, its no Angie or Lady Jane but it will do.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:21

Silver Dagger
It was amazing in the cool blue night at Berlin's Olympia Stadion in 2006. The song took on a new identity live.

Fully agree, Silver Dagger. Great version live in Berlin, especially in the end the song turns into a real Jagger STAX-soul- number. Still love to listen to this live version. One never expected highlight of the evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-03 17:31 by electricmud.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:28

a simply marvelous tune. i couldn't wait to see it live and sing my heart out along with it at twickenham. i still get emotional thinking back to that. sigh.

Date: May 3, 2011 18:07

compared to street fighting man, it sucks

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 3, 2011 19:01

electricmud
Silver Dagger
It was amazing in the cool blue night at Berlin's Olympia Stadion in 2006. The song took on a new identity live.

Fully agree, Silver Dagger. Great version live in Berlin, especially in the end the song turns into a real Jagger STAX-soul- number. Still love to listen to this live version. One never expected highlight of the evening.

me too, Street Of Love, Rain Fall Down and Biggest Mistake are really good new Rolling Stones songs,

Rough Justice is only a little Rock 'N Roller, just like Hang Fire, Sad Sad Sad, Sparks Will Fly, a.s.o., for all those fans, who need to get always the same tunes on any Rolling Stones album ...

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 3, 2011 19:48

Yup. SOL is no Angie.

(IMO, Angie is not only the worst Stones song, it's the worst song by any major, talented, rock act. Most similar song -- Barry Manilow's Mandy. Ugh.)

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 3, 2011 21:58

The problem with "Streets Of Love" is that its album version is an underworked demo at best. The repetition of the word "awful" doesn't help it either. Had they worked on it some more before they recorded the album version, which they did for the concert performances, it would surely be better. They could have even replaced the sections that were copied straight out of "Out Of Tears" and "Already Over Me", two songs that are much superior to "Streets Of Love".

The studio version may be radio friendly, but radio friendly equals boring and bland these days.

There is nothing wrong with it being a Jagger song. So is the beautiful "Don't Stop" that people on this board also like to ridicule for no particular reason other than there is not much Keith on it.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 3, 2011 22:27

There are 2,417,027 views of SOL on on YouTube. Judging from the posts most of the audience are young people who became interested in the Stones with this song. So Jagger was right in believing that the song will attract a new audience.
I personally do not like ballads much, but this song is OK, and if the mood is right - I like it.
as for the lyrics
And a woman asks me for a dance
Oh it's free of charge, just one more chance

for those two lines I'm ready to forgive everything else.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 3, 2011 23:03

DandelionPowderman
CousinC

Why is that? I've always liked RJ, one of the best tracks on ABB. In fact, one of the best rockers since Steel Wheels, imo.

Yeah,both songs are okay to me.
But I meant SOL is no Wild Horses as RJ is no JJF or Brown Sugar.
From their later albums it may well be one of the better rockers nevertheless.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 3, 2011 23:05

Great in Atlantic City. GREAT!

Great Album too

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 4, 2011 00:38

the only awful thing about SOL is the guitar solo

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 4, 2011 16:09

The song really takes a hold of you live. It's a song that'll always stand out in my memory...it was just beautiful!! It was all Mick.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 16:27

Blueranger
I gave A Bigger Bang a spin this morning.
When I reached Streets Of Love I became reminded of how much bashing this song gets here.

Why?

I don't understand it. Sure, it's no Ruby Tuesday, but it's a well-crafted pop song with a nice chours and and I feel it's a highlight on this album.

When I saw it on the last tour, it was one of my favourite moments of the whole show.

So tell me, because I can't hear it, what is so horrible with Streets Of Love???

Nothing. It´s a very nice song.

Date: May 9, 2011 02:19

I agree. Think it's a great song. Like Following The River it starts off a little bitch like but recovers well. I think songs like Rough Justice and Back of my Hand are a little forced.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 9, 2011 03:33

.....splish or splash. So long as Jagger controls the production it doesn't sound like we'll ever get the Stones to sound like the Stones again unless they release old material. So lets have 'em and on with the show....I did and do... still like Rain Fall Down from ABB....I thought it was a modern Fingerprint File.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home