Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Please tell me... What is so horrible with Streets Of Love???
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:15

It can indeed.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:25

...if there was better material written by KR...or even just riffs....we probably wouldn't have gotten Streets of Love...and that in the end.... is the real issue...

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:27

Yes, you are right , it can, but didn`t say Keith in an interview that Mick came up with this (nearly) finished song?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:37

nearly finished? well at least. there is keith, ron, daryl, charlie and chuck on it.
don´t think he came with it finished.

and if so this is something keith should keep secret and better concentrate on writing some songs himself.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:49

if anyone is an expert on unfinished songs, it's keith....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:54

If Mick's slant is "to bring in a new demographic" then there you go. His marketing skills have obviously waned if he thinks something as trite and boring as a song only worthy of being on a US soap opera, which is mainly watched by people that have retired or ones that generally do not see the light of day and sit around eating Cheetos and trying to bump their weight up to 400 pounds.

@#$%& @#$%& (Matt Clifford). That pre-production obviously means it's a solo song and was recorded (demoed) before A Bigger Bang.

Streets Of Love does not exist in my collection because I deleted it.

Why doesn't Keno's information show that someone (Mick) played the acoustic guitar? Isn't that rather obvious?

Date: March 27, 2010 18:57

skipstone
Streets Of Love does not exist in my collection because I deleted it.

i think there should be a contest for who hates SOL the most. My personal bid includes this fact:

i first listened to SOL on a cdr i burned from the download that became available prior to its release. i listened while i drove (not a safe thing to try, btw); then i ejected the disc and tossed it out the window.

please submit details of your own entry in this sweepstake....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:59

its not terrible to be honest but there is no way it should have been the first single, RJ AND ONNYA are much better tunes, classic stones riffs there

Date: March 27, 2010 19:01

StonesTod
i think there should be a contest for who hates SOL the most. My personal bid includes this fact:

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! I would think that I'm up there pretty high in the ranks of that. Maybe in the Top 20.

Date: March 27, 2010 19:03

skipstone
StonesTod

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! I would think that I'm up there pretty high in the ranks of that. Maybe in the Top 20.

having it out of your collection is a nice start; probably qualifies you for top 40 anyway....

Date: March 27, 2010 19:04

ABB was an excuse to go on another warhorse filled world tour$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Date: March 27, 2010 19:14

melillo

Because of such stellar tunes as Streets Of Love, Rain Falls Down and Back Of My Hand? Heh! I still cringe thinking about that live performance of Rain Falls Down on some awards show I think it was.

Date: March 27, 2010 19:21

I agree thats why the album was an excuse to go on the road again, not because it was any good, just so they can do the greatest hits show

Date: March 27, 2010 19:27

You mean, ha ha, so that Mick can say, "Look, we put a new album out. We're still writing, we're still relevant. We're not like The Beach Boys, just playing the same songs year after year - we play new ones."

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:28

mickscarey
Great song.

Brilliant/highlight in Atlantic City

Yeah.I was there. people's jaws dropped at Jaggers performance. Speachless, It was that good!

Date: March 27, 2010 19:28

yes exactly

Date: March 27, 2010 19:36

why can´t people understand that mick is a rolling stone??

if keith writes a song and gives it mick to sing it´s a stones song.

if mick writes a song and sings it himself it´s a solo song.

that´s rubbish. mick is the rolling stones at least for 40 years now since the last time keith was in charge.

and even back in the old days. keith didn´t even write brown sugar.

Date: March 27, 2010 19:47

Oh come on. That's not true. Just because it says Jagger-Richards does not mean that at all. Thief In The Night? You Don't Have To Mean It? You really think Mick had anything to do with those tunes? Flip The Switch and Low Down certainly.

Although Mick's ideas with Black And Blue are obvious with the songs he came up with, specifically Fool To Cry, Worried About You and Memory Motel, it's possible the only thing Keith had to do with Fool To Cry was he played guitar on it, Worried About You certainly seems Jagger-Richards and Memory Motel is possibly a good example of 'Hey I've got this bit' and that's what Keith sings.

Just because Jagger directs the band on tunes as Summer Romance or Hang Fire does not mean they are his ideas alone. But the tunes that are a bit off course certainly seem solo Jagger, as in no hand in writing was done by Keith.

But it's been way way more solo Jagger than any collaborative effort the past few albums than ever before, seemingly. And when Keith says all he did was put a little guitar on Streets Of Love, it's OBVIOUS it's a Jagger solo song that he "saved" for the Stones.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:51

melillo

No one remember those times?
2004/05 Charlie with cancer, Stones and stonesfans lived in fear ...

A Bigger Bang
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Streets Of Love
[www.timeisonourside.com]

This album/tour was some regarding of getting old and some trying to fight against time, with some Bigger Bang to Shine A Light ...

Time Waits For No One
HighwireC

Date: March 27, 2010 19:55

"Thief In The Night? You Don't Have To Mean It? You really think Mick had anything to do with those tunes?"

no, but it is obviously o.k. if keith is on his own trip.

"you don´t have to mean it" or "infamy" are less stonesy than is sol.

i would join the who hates "you don´t have to mean it" the most club any day and win the competition though.

i don´t need 3 keith songs on a stones record and i don´t need keith to sing 2 songs out of 18 on a stones show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 19:56 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:07

Gazza

I merely stopped the car, took a knife from out of the glove compartment and cut off my testicles in protest.

So it is easier nowadays for you, Gaz, to join to sing-a-long to the chorus of "Street of Love" with T&A? To catch all those high notes... >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 20:07 by Doxa.

Date: March 27, 2010 20:19

stoneswashed77
"Thief In The Night? You Don't Have To Mean It? You really think Mick had anything to do with those tunes?"

It seems that Keith's own trips are far more interesting and tuneful, at least to me anyway.

stoneswashed77

As opposed to Send It To Me or Shattered? Less Stonesy than Streets Of Love? HA!

stoneswashed77
i don´t need 3 keith songs on a stones record and i don´t need keith to sing 2 songs out of 18 on a stones show.

I partially agree with that point of view. Some of the songs on the albums have been just wastes of time (Can't Be Seen, Thru And Thru and Infamy are downright awful) and space (giving good emplore to the skip or stop buttons!). Live he's done some good ones in the past - perhaps the Bridges/No Security and Licks tours have actually been his finest moments in terms of his Stones catalogue and covers but lately it's just bad no matter what songs he does, as Shine A Light so brightly highlights yet alone whatever from the Bang tour, at least based on my observations anyway.

Date: March 27, 2010 20:27

stoneswashed77

i would join the who hates "you don´t have to mean it" the most club any day and win the competition though.

Meanwhile here is an other little competition:

Keef with heart and soul

and Mick like a puppet on a string

I like both in their different way,
but I'm very happy when I can find them together in one show:

The Rolling Stones.

HighwireC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 20:31 by HighwireC.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:33

Its like a Jagger solo song I just don't like the feel. It does not sound like a STones song very poor song though I will give his vocal effort an A Mick sang this song very well.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:55

StonesTod

My ex-wfie still has my copy of ABB, and I don't care. I don't want it back.
The video for it was shot in my city, when I heard what song they were doing - I didn't even try to go.

When I picked up ABB and heard it for the first time, the passenger in the car said "this is your favourite band? What the $%#& is this @#$%?". I had no defense.

This song actually broke my heart. The first listening was intense - it actually made me feel that I'd wasted yaers following a thankles bunch of old croaks who spit out this crap after 8 years. I still love the band, but Streets of Love actually made me feel ashamed to be a fan for a while.

How's that for an entry?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 27, 2010 20:57

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod

The video for it was shot in my city, when I heard what song they were doing - I didn't even try to go.

When I picked up ABB and heard it for the first time, the passenger in the car said "this is your favourite band? What the $%#& is this @#$%?". I had no defense.

This song actually broke my heart. The first listening was intense - it actually made me feel that I'd wasted yaers following a thankles bunch of old croaks who spit out this crap after 8 years. I still love the band, but Streets of Love actually made me feel ashamed to be a fan for a while.

How's that for an entry?

made me weep with empathy; if you don't win you're at least assured a luxury suite in your final destination, be it heaven or hell.

Date: March 27, 2010 21:03

And here you can listen to a song
fans do really like very much, in spain, texas, and somewhere else ....

smileys with beer

HighwireC

Date: March 27, 2010 21:04

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod

How's that for an entry?

did you try to sing sol to your wife to get her back??
might have worked.

"When I picked up ABB and heard it for the first time, the passenger in the car said "this is your favourite band? What the $%#& is this @#$%?". I had no defense."

lol

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: March 27, 2010 21:33

What a minute....Mick wrote this for Tom Jones and he turned it down. Now it is all starting to make sense.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 27, 2010 22:24

I havn't read everything that has been said on this thread but i get the feeling that Streets of Love has been given a slating. Well i think a lot of you look far too deeply into the stones songs. these guys are in their sixties and STILL writing songs that people like to hear, i think that is quite amazing. Streets of love is a good song, just enjoy what they are giving us and don't pull them apart. They have done it all and don't have to prove anything else, they don't need the money and don't have to tour but they still do so they must enjoy it. Lets just hope they carry on and write more songs, it will never be a sticky fingers albm or Exile but who cares, I don't, I'm just glad they are still puting out songs that are worth listning to.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home