Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Please tell me... What is so horrible with Streets Of Love???
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: March 28, 2010 21:34

Have faith. We'll get new songs. There parents all lived to around 90 years old or more didn't they? If they are really done with the mammoth tours, I think they'll settle in and start making records again on a more regular basis, not needing them for big publicity. Bob Dylan is older than any of them. Willie Nelson is way older. Johnny Cash was way older.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:01

For me, its the first song that Mick voice sounds 'strained' and the build up is weak.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:13

There's no need to make records on a regular basis. Mick can hardly be bothered to listen to vintage leftovers. A Bigger Bang was it it's seeming.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:25

nonfilter
Have faith. We'll get new songs. There parents all lived to around 90 years old or more didn't they? If they are really done with the mammoth tours, I think they'll settle in and start making records again on a more regular basis, not needing them for big publicity. Bob Dylan is older than any of them. Willie Nelson is way older. Johnny Cash was way older.

[www.non-filters.com]

Bob Dylan is all of eight days older than Charlie Watts and plays 100 shows or so a year. Every year , and Cash was still recording up to his death at 71, which was only a couple of years older than what Charlie is now. He recorded probably a couple of hundred songs in the last decade of his life.

Considering their work ethic and drive to create in their later years are both light years away from that of the Stones, its maybe not a great comparison...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 03:43 by Gazza.

Date: March 29, 2010 00:38

What's funny about Dylan is he still wants to play. He's not charging prices like the Stones. Johnny Cash played as long as he could. He still wanted to play - and record. The Stones can't be bothered. They've made it such a big thing that for them to even THINK about thinking they need to call a meeting. Perhaps they are too big. Their egos demand such financial incentive that if it's not enough they won't bother. At least Charlie is honest about it all - and has possible zero ego about it as well. Ronnie, well, he'll agree with anyone. Keith...ha ha ha - whatever Mick says. Mick says...he really can't be bothered.

It sure seems that way. Of all the bands that could have really put out a nice box set of unreleased tracks and B-sides etc it's The Rolling Stones. But noooo, Mick can't be bothered.

And Keith has turned into a spineless little man, only waiting for Mick to call him to tell him to do something...when Mick can be bothered. Where's the attitude? Where's the charge? Ahhhh, it's been dropped like a vase and broken into a lot of tears all over the Streets Of Love. He's Keith Richards all right but he hasn't exuded any Rolling Stonesness since 1980, back when he was going ape shit about getting back on the road, recording more albums and wanting to just continue to go bonkers. That Keith is gone.

As he well should be - it's 2010. Certainly it's expected (and looking more and more like it's been achieved) that their days of recording, yet alone a lot, are done. As well as the gigantic tours probably. Because they've DONE IT.

I just want a box set dammit.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:51

skipstone
What's funny about Dylan is he still wants to play. He's not charging prices like the Stones. Johnny Cash played as long as he could. He still wanted to play - and record. The Stones can't be bothered. They've made it such a big thing that for them to even THINK about thinking they need to call a meeting. Perhaps they are too big. Their egos demand such financial incentive that if it's not enough they won't bother. At least Charlie is honest about it all - and has possible zero ego about it as well. Ronnie, well, he'll agree with anyone. Keith...ha ha ha - whatever Mick says. Mick says...he really can't be bothered.

It sure seems that way. Of all the bands that could have really put out a nice box set of unreleased tracks and B-sides etc it's The Rolling Stones. But noooo, Mick can't be bothered.

And Keith has turned into a spineless little man, only waiting for Mick to call him to tell him to do something...when Mick can be bothered. Where's the attitude? Where's the charge? Ahhhh, it's been dropped like a vase and broken into a lot of tears all over the Streets Of Love. He's Keith Richards all right but he hasn't exuded any Rolling Stonesness since 1980, back when he was going ape shit about getting back on the road, recording more albums and wanting to just continue to go bonkers. That Keith is gone.

As he well should be - it's 2010. Certainly it's expected (and looking more and more like it's been achieved) that their days of recording, yet alone a lot, are done. As well as the gigantic tours probably. Because they've DONE IT.

I just want a box set dammit.

that post made poor stonestod cry - it is so beautifully and honestly written that it couldn't have possible come from the desktop of skippystone!

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 01:11

is this one of Mick's songs that "I wrote the lyrics on the way to the studio" . . . sure sounds like it.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 29, 2010 03:01

T&A

i coined the term "catastrophically sober" here many moons ago to describe the problem. nothing that half a bottle of jack can't solve - for either the singer or the listener...

Brilliant observation, and so true!!!!!!!!! >grinning smiley< smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 04:51

Is there any recording of the Atlantic City version? Everyone keeps saying it was amazing.

Date: March 29, 2010 06:38

StonesTod
that post made poor stonestod cry - it is so beautifully and honestly written that it couldn't have possible come from the desktop of skippystone!

Hey, I know it's hard to believe most of the time according to some people around here, ha ha ha ha, but I really am a Stones fan and I do indeed love the band/music/history/etc. Don't give up on me yet.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: March 29, 2010 06:38

Back to my example of Bob Dylan...in 1990 he released 'Under The Blood Red Sky' in 1997 he released 'Time Out of Mind'. He said in his autobiography that he was planning on never recording again. There were those two folky cover albums in between but no originals. They were recorded in his garage. Johnny Cash also was about ready to quit recording until Rick Rubin re-inspired him. I'm hoping Jack White produces whatever comes next and relights the fire in these guys the way Tom Waits reportedly did for Keith in the 1980s. I still have faith.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2010 20:48

dcba
"My ex-wfie still has my copy of ABB, and I don't care. I don't want it back."

Another story about the journey of a ABB cd : a famous rock journalist got an advance copy for review. He was so disgusted by the "musical" content of the disc that couldn't bring himself to either review it or even keep it...

He then gave it to a good friend of his who has an encyclopedic knowledge of rock and blues. This friend was so disgusted by the "musical" content of the disc that couldn't bring himself to keep it...

This friend then gave it to one of his friends a Stones fan that is me. I was so disgusted by the "musical" content of the disc that I couldn't bring himself to keep it... but I did eventually (I don't know why, probably for 2 trax : Infamy and DB ).

(true story btw). ABB is worth the price I paid for it, that is zero.
it's like a chain letter that no one want's

Date: March 30, 2010 00:05

You know, a lot of people on here seem to think the Stones can recapture what made them great, that they are wasting time, in a sad decline, etc etc.

When you look at the facts though...they have been a in a decline for DECADES with only moments or flashes of previous glory. There is usually 2-3 great songs on a cd but down to facts: nobody is playing like they used to , writing like they used to, singing like they used to.

And what's worse is that the only ones or seem to care are the fans.

Even in the 70s people were saying that GHS and IORR were a step down for them and with Dirty Work and Steel Wheels they came a notch further down.

We may get new songs or albums or even tours but the fire is gone.

Talking as if they can recapture the kind of work they did in their 20s is unrealistic because they couldn't even do that in their 30s!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2010 00:13

"Even in the 70s people were saying that GHS and IORR were a step down for them and with Dirty Work and Steel Wheels they came a notch further down."

How about all the garbage from SG, Emotional Rescue and Undercover. makes Streets Of Love sound like an opus.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 30, 2010 00:27

More Hot Rocks
How about all the garbage from SG, Emotional Rescue and Undercover. makes Streets Of Love sound like an opus.

...not to forget all the garbage from Beggars Banquet,Let It Bleed,Sticky Fingers,Exile.....

Date: March 30, 2010 00:41

nonfilter
Back to my example of Bob Dylan...in 1990 he released 'Under The Blood Red Sky' in 1997 he released 'Time Out of Mind'. He said in his autobiography that he was planning on never recording again. There were those two folky cover albums in between but no originals. They were recorded in his garage. Johnny Cash also was about ready to quit recording until Rick Rubin re-inspired him. I'm hoping Jack White produces whatever comes next and relights the fire in these guys the way Tom Waits reportedly did for Keith in the 1980s. I still have faith.

[www.non-filters.com]

I think the main difference is that Cash & Dylan were feeling creatively dried up. Writers block is something that most artists go through at some point.

Dylan, however, still continued to tour during that period and still cared enough about his performance art to the extent where he was re-inventing his songs onstage.

I simply dont think its a case of the Stones not recording because they feel unable to create (well, Jagger anyway - Keith's songwriting output seems to have slowed down to a trickle, as since 1994 barely ten of his compositions have been released, all by the Stones). Its more because they're not motivated because the financial return from it isn't worth the effort.

Dylan and Cash are two very different animals entirely and are more artistically-driven (not that I'm suggesting Dylan doesnt like money - he does - its just not what drives him). They'd continue to record other people's material if the need or desire arose. I cant exactly picture the Stones making an album of blues covers anymore, can you? It might be a nice idea, but as a record it wouldnt sell and the audience they're targetting for their concerts aren't interested in that type of music, unfortunately.

Besides, the Stones already went through a bigger gap between new material than Dylan did - 8 years between BTB and ABB aside from the 4 songs on 40 Licks. To give it some perspective. The Stones have been a band for 48 years, so 'Dirty Work', which is regarded as a 'latter day' Stones album is actually at the half way point of their career. They have released just FOUR albums of new material in the 24 years since that record came out. Dylan has released eight, plus 3 covers albums and a few other non-album compositions.

I can see where you're coming from and I still think they DO have another good album in them. I just think they dont give a toss, however.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-30 00:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2010 02:52

shortfatfanny
More Hot Rocks

...not to forget all the garbage from Beggars Banquet,Let It Bleed,Sticky Fingers,Exile.....

Please don't cry about it.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 30, 2010 03:21

They're approaching their 70s so give them a break and stop crying.

They don't owe us anything and if they go on the road again or make a new album, that's cool.

But if they don't, the sun will still rise in the mornings and we can still listen to the Moon Is Up at night.

In many ways they've provided the soundtrack to my life and for that I'll always be grateful.

Date: March 30, 2010 03:44

tomcat2006
They're approaching their 70s so give them a break and stop crying.

They don't owe us anything and if they go on the road again or make a new album, that's cool.

But if they don't, the sun will still rise in the mornings and we can still listen to the Moon Is Up at night.

In many ways they've provided the soundtrack to my life and for that I'll always be grateful.

Yep. I agree. I dont feel that they 'owe' me another record or another tour. Never really did, to be honest. Being able to 'follow' a band for this long without having to talk about them in the past tense is a bonus.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 30, 2010 11:11

More Hot Rocks
shortfatfanny
More Hot Rocks

Please don't cry about it.

Me ?
Don´t worry...just thought to add some more crap to underline the brilliance
of this touching "opus"...

Date: March 30, 2010 17:54

Not sure why but my post was deleted.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:57

KeefintheNight82
Not sure why but my post was deleted.

i have just the opposite curiosity about my posts...i guess it all evens out.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:22

To me it's bad because it's an attempt by the Rolling Stones to write a Rod Thomas song and get radio play on pop stations.

Not a bad idea from a business point of view, but it sounds like a strained attempt to get air play. The one time bad boys of rock writing Rob Thomas clones doesn't sit right with me.

They should stop trying to compete on that level and just make great music... I'm thinking latter day Johnny Cash.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 30, 2010 19:06

Dylan can write his songs and publish them without asking other people about their opinion. The same with Macca, Cash (could), Neil Young, Clapton etc.
Mick needs to involve others in the project to make it a Stones record - that makes it more complicated.
If the others show little interest there is no record. Jagger making a record by himself doesn't make too much sense - Stones fans want Stones records and not Jagger solo record (sales figures confirm this).

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 30, 2010 20:13

Gazza
Blueranger
I gave A Bigger Bang a spin this morning.
When I reached Streets Of Love I became reminded of how much bashing this song gets here.

Why?

I don't understand it. Sure, it's no Ruby Tuesday, but it's a well-crafted pop song with a nice chours and and I feel it's a highlight on this album.

When I saw it on the last tour, it was one of my favourite moments of the whole show.

So tell me, because I can't hear it, what is so horrible with Streets Of Love???

To quote Jagger's own lyrics - it's 'awful bad'.

In concert, it was, as you say, pretty good but on record, its clumsily written mush.

What didnt help was that after keeping us waiting eight years for a new Stones album, THIS (being the first song released to radio stations and the first single in most countries) was what they chose to tell the world that they were 'back'.

Yeah I thought it was a strange choice as THE first song. I remember getting into trouble at work (late for a meeting) cos I sat in my car waiting for the Radio 2 'World Exclusive' first play.

Date: March 30, 2010 20:54

Hey nanker - it wasn't worth it was it!

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:10

skipstone
Hey nanker - it wasn't worth it was it!

No not really- I was a bit disappointed- they should have released Rough Justice

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:45

WHY does a post like this get so many responses, is it because of the word horrible?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:49

NICOS
WHY does a post like this get so many responses, is it because of the word horrible?

no - because SOL is a polarizing song for stones fans...

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: March 31, 2010 13:05

SwayStones
The worst part of the song,IMO is the "Ouh Ouh Ouh Ouh" ......

...for what it's worth: I disagree. that's not better nor worse then the "sjalalala..." in "Memory Motel", f.e.; and one on IORR would hopefully néver ditch thàt song for such corny (yet: effective!) backingvocal 'fill'.

IMO, "Streets" may be cheesy, but it's definitely Stones' cheese. Ripe, sharp, and tasty. True: it's a 'radio-cut' pop tune (ad by far NOT one of their best, I aggree...); but the Stones do master that specific format too- so why not 'exercise' it every now & then?! They've been doing that for decades, haven't they... It's like making fun of yourself, a bit.

furthermore, and again: IMO, as a Stonesfan I take much more 'insult' in tunes like "Don't Stop" (etc.etc.etc. ...) - now there's a Bon Jovi leftover for ya! talking about 'taking the easy way out'... They should do much, much better.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home