Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: George Harrison's slide technique
Date: September 8, 2015 21:24

Irony, my friend smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2015 23:52

DandelionPowderman
Irony, my friend smileys with beer

Ah, I of all people, appreciate that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 01:09

We've been here before. George really didn't start playing slide until after he left The Beatles. Delaney Bramlett inspired him to take up slide, and as George has said in interviews he became bored with the guitar and immersed himself in the sitar. Then Delaney Bramlett inspired him to get back into guitar.
For example This Boy doesn't have a slide on it. It is a double tracked guitar with heavy reverb and echo. The slide on For You Blue? That is John! ("this cats got nothing on Elmore..." "Go Johnny go!") Really there are no Beatles songs with a slide on it, unless John was playing, as For You Blue. This also was one of McCartney's major reasons for not wanting the slide on Free as a Bird as he thought that sounded too much like George's solo stuff, I am glad he lost because that slide is blisteringly beautiful!
Welcome back tele71!!!!!
Get on Hogg's tail about Let it Be! Come on Ringo let it all out!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 9, 2015 01:31

whitem8
We've been here before. George really didn't start playing slide until after he left The Beatles. Delaney Bramlett inspired him to take up slide, and as George has said in interviews he became bored with the guitar and immersed himself in the sitar. Then Delaney Bramlett inspired him to get back into guitar.
For example This Boy doesn't have a slide on it. It is a double tracked guitar with heavy reverb and echo. The slide on For You Blue? That is John! ("this cats got nothing on Elmore..." "Go Johnny go!") Really there are no Beatles songs with a slide on it, unless John was playing, as For You Blue. This also was one of McCartney's major reasons for not wanting the slide on Free as a Bird as he thought that sounded too much like George's solo stuff, I am glad he lost because that slide is blisteringly beautiful!
Welcome back tele71!!!!!

Paul plays slide on Drive My Car.
Actually Harrison's reinterest in the guitar comes around mid-1968. After fimling Raga in California, Shankar was asking him where his "roots" were. On the way home, he ran into Clapton and Hendrix in New York and figured "Well, I may as well get back to it, 'cause I'll never be a great sitarist." On the David Frost Show in 1971, Harrison picked up a sitar, said "It's been three years," and played the basic sitar scale.

Re Let It Be. Doesn't ABKCO have a say in this? I know Macca isn't too keen on it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 9, 2015 02:57

tomk
whitem8
Welcome back tele71!!!!!

Paul plays slide on Drive My Car.
Actually Harrison's reinterest in the guitar comes around mid-1968. After fimling Raga in California, Shankar was asking him where his "roots" were. On the way home, he ran into Clapton and Hendrix in New York and figured "Well, I may as well get back to it, 'cause I'll never be a great sitarist." On the David Frost Show in 1971, Harrison picked up a sitar, said "It's been three years," and played the basic sitar scale.

Re Let It Be. Doesn't ABKCO have a say in this? I know Macca isn't too keen on it.

I think this is just an Apple (Beatles) thing. All four former members or widows have to agree. At one time they did, then someone changed their mind.

Yes, there is a noticeable change to George's guitar playing starting with the White Album, and he really takes off on Abbey Road. Much more fluid.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 04:38

Yes good point! Macca does play slide on Drive My Car, I forgot that one. But again, George didn't play slide while in The Beatles and worked hard to rebrand himself as a slide rock guitarist. It worked! I find his slide playing sublime. Tasteful and full of soul. Cloud Nine is stupendous. Cheer Down is another great one. I highly recommend to fans check out the live from Tokyo video included in the bonus disc with the deluxe Living in a Material World. He is incredible on it!

And yeah, it is Clapton and Harrison playing dual slide on My Sweet Lord. George did a lot to influence Clapton's sound and material in the 70s.

George also is fantastic on Coming Home live with Delany and Bonnie and Friends. And check out the young pure Bobby Keys! WOW!

You can see him lurking in the back behind Delany. Cool.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 05:14

Very cool
Btw bobby keys was in the music business longer than George Harrison; he played with buddy holly even!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 13, 2015 18:56

I always like Harrison's slide work on the Badfinger tune.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 13, 2015 19:01

Here is George on slide on a Balinda Carlisle tune at about 3:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-13 19:03 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 13, 2015 19:59

Nice finds MHR!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2156
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home