Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: George Harrison's slide technique
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 13, 2010 06:09

Harrison said his interest in Indian music and its use of microtones helped a great deal in his slide playing. HE also double-tracked a lot of his slide playing and didn't rely on basic blues scales. Some are in open tuning, but most aren't, I don't think. And his blue (later psychadelic) Strat handled most of his slide parts post-Beatles. He has the most unique slide guitar playing I've ever heard. It's almost a Hawaiian tone. My favorite solo is on THe Lord Loves The One
from Living In The Material World. Melodic, blusey, and Indian all at once.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 06:13

tomk, you are so right! That is one of his most beautiful leads. It is so melodic and hums with beauty. And check out Rocking Chair in Hawaii, a beautiful piece that he actually started during ATMP, but finished shortly before his death. It is on Brainwashed. It is beautiful! I have a great boot with a fun acoustic version from ATMP, no slide though,

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 13, 2010 06:38

Bad news about "Let It Be" on DVD: It's mostly done. There is bonus footage and a "making off" documentary with director Michael Lyndsay-Hogg. However, Michael told me today that the Beatles are going easy on releasing new product this year since so much was done last year. Next will be the "Magical Mystery Tour" film, followed by "Yellow Submarine". They want "Let It Be" to be last. Even then, Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia will all have to sign off on the final cut. Apparently Paul and Ringo approve the project in principle, but we might have to wait until 2013 to see it. Michael said he is urging Paul to move up the release. That's all I have for now.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 13, 2010 06:50

Better not rush it. We need time to prepare ourselves for all that harrowing darker side footage where they're getting on each other's nerves.

Date: March 13, 2010 07:51

Yeah, I thought so. I actually doubt they will release it while they are still alive. I ain't holding my breath. And why release Yellow Submarine AGAIN! They should release a director's cut of The Anthology with complete performances.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 13, 2010 08:13

Clapton's guitar is a Gibson Byrdland. I think he sold it with a bunch of other guitars (including the Layla Brownie strat and Blackie) about ten years ago.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 13, 2010 13:07

Tumblin_Dice_07
Mathijs
whitem8
That was on the studio take, but on both the Concerts for Bangladesh and Live in Japan it is only Clapton playing the slide with George on accoustic. Interesting isn't it? Another great slide one is Sue Me Sue You Blues, and of course one of the most famous and controversial is his slide on Lennon's How Do You Sleep. I have a longer bootleg version where Harrison is just evil on the slid, with a much longer intro and solo, and extra verses. Great!

Most parts by Clapton on the Bangladesh concert where overdubbed later on by George and Jesse Ed Davis, as Clapton was too far out at the time.

I always assumed Harrison played slide in standard tuning, not true? His touch and feel are much like Taylor's, and on The Tin Man Was A Dreamer it's sometimes hard to hear who plays what exactly.

Mathijs

Harrison played the slide part on "My Sweet Lord" in standard. I don't know about any other songs.

I'd like to know your source for what you said about Clapton's parts being overdubbed as well. I've never heard that before and besides, you'd think if they were going to overdub Eric's parts, they would have overdubbed that horrible ending solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", but instead they leave the bums notes and all in there.

I know Eric was under-rehearsed but I actually don't think he played all that poorly for most of the show, the exceptions being the songs on which he used that damn big hollow body guitar.

I rather like his playing during the film when he's using a strat, for example on "Wah Wah".

It was stated in the NME when the Deluxe Edition came out, and listen to most parts where Clapton plays or should play -he plays sharp as a knife, and the sound is way too clear to be from the concert itself. It is overdubbed no doubt.

Mathijs

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 14:23

George Harrison's slide technique ???? confused smiley

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: March 13, 2010 15:11

harrison plays a slide guitar wich is nearly identical to some of chris reas last blues albums. well, chris rea plays a slide like....

Date: March 13, 2010 15:19

whitem8
Yeah, I thought so. I actually doubt they will release it while they are still alive. I ain't holding my breath. And why release Yellow Submarine AGAIN! They should release a director's cut of The Anthology with complete performances.

They're acting as if Let It Be was NEVER released, as if they had it all ready to go in 1970 and then decided to shelve it. I'm pretty sure they DID release this movie. I seem to remember seeing it in a movie theatre, in a midnight double feature with Yellow Submarine. If they could release it 40 years ago, why can't they re-release it now? Are they trying to re-write history, and have us believe that they got along like it was A Hard Days Night right up until the breakup? If they were still getting along like it was A Hard Days Night, they wouldn't have broken up.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 13, 2010 15:50

That's Harrison also playing slide on Badfinger's Day After day. Love It.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:47

There are so many GH slide solos that I love, but this is probably on the top of my list.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 02:08

I just learned the slide parts (George Harrison and Pete Ham) for "Day After Day". The slide is played in standard tuning.

Date: March 14, 2010 02:38

tatters
whitem8

They're acting as if Let It Be was NEVER released, as if they had it all ready to go in 1970 and then decided to shelve it. I'm pretty sure they DID release this movie. I seem to remember seeing it in a movie theatre, in a midnight double feature with Yellow Submarine. If they could release it 40 years ago, why can't they re-release it now? Are they trying to re-write history, and have us believe that they got along like it was A Hard Days Night right up until the breakup? If they were still getting along like it was A Hard Days Night, they wouldn't have broken up.

Yeah, this is frustrating revisionist history at work. Somewhat like Let it Be Naked. Of course the film was released! And it was even released on VHS, back in the day. A shame, it isn't an outstanding film, and actually a bit boring in some places, but a great snapshot of a group breaking up, and the roof top concert is worth the price alone.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:50

There was a theatrical release,wasnt there? I have a beautiful quality dvd that is sourced from a Japanese Laser Disc. And theres LOADS of outtakes on the 2 disc dvd set "Get Back...Winter Of Discontent"( cant remember the label) but of course I'm sure we will never see the hours and hours of film that was shot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 03:51 by scottkeef.

Date: March 14, 2010 04:03

Yes there was a theatrical release and it even won an oscar for original soundtrack.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: March 14, 2010 04:04

George's Slide playing style is totaly unique..I beleve he is in standard tuning most of the time...As for the Yellow Sub stuff before Let it be, I beleve that would be The Disney 3D remake that is in the works....

Date: March 14, 2010 13:16

Mathijs,
I have watched Bangla several times this weekend, especially While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and I just can see the overdubs. In fact there are a few errors that are in there, so wouldn't those have been overdubbed. I really doubt they were overdubbed.

Date: March 14, 2010 16:50

whitem8
tatters
whitem8

Yeah, this is frustrating revisionist history at work. Somewhat like Let it Be Naked. Of course the film was released! And it was even released on VHS, back in the day. A shame, it isn't an outstanding film, and actually a bit boring in some places, but a great snapshot of a group breaking up, and the roof top concert is worth the price alone.

That's right, there WAS an official VHS release at the dawn of the VCR age in the early 80s, but it was very quickly withdrawn. I think I tried to have my local video store order me a copy circa 1985 and it was already no longer available. The copy I have today is just a bootleg VHS made from the Japanese laser disc someone else mentioned in this thread. The 1982 VHS documentary The Complete Beatles, has just a bit of LIB in it, but they used an incredibly bad print of the film. The large chunks of LIB that appear in The Beatles Anthology look great, however.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 18:02

whitem8
Mathijs,
I have watched Bangla several times this weekend, especially While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and I just can see the overdubs. In fact there are a few errors that are in there, so wouldn't those have been overdubbed. I really doubt they were overdubbed.

I did this as well. I don't believe Clapton's parts were overdubbed. There might have been a couple of spots where he was mixed down, or perhaps they mixed Eric down and Davis or Harrison played a part over top of Eric's, but I just don't believe that what we hear Eric play is actually George Harrison or Jesse Ed Davis pretending to be Eric Clapton.

Besides, there's that terrible solo that Eric plays on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". If they were gonna do overdubs, why not clean that one up?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 18:33

Besides, there's that terrible solo that Eric plays on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". If they were gonna do overdubs, why not clean that one up?

and why on earth didnt george play it himself and on the studio version as well?
(and play lead guitar on get back , JL is terrible!

Date: March 15, 2010 01:42

Well the reason George didn't play it in the studio was that John and Paul were not really interested in doing his songs. And the atmosphere during the making of The Beatles (White Album) was tense and fractious. So George thought, why not bring in a guest and that usually brings out the best behavior, and perhaps then they will actually give my song a try. And it worked! Actually, Clapton's solo during the studio track is fantastic and he recreates it wonderfully on Live in Japan. Paul plays piano and does excellent backup vocals as well. According to George he doesn't even think Lennon plays on the studio version.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 04:40

straycatblues73

and why on earth didnt george play it himself and on the studio version as well?
(and play lead guitar on get back , JL is terrible!

I love the studio version. I think Eric is great on that one. It's just that on the Bangla Desh concert, he used that big Byrdland guitar and it didn't have a cutaway so he could access the higher frets. When he tried to go for a high position, he couldn't reach the notes and it got pretty shaky.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 17, 2010 07:40

71Tele
Hey Swiss, no offense intended...By the way the director tells me that the Let It Be DVD with extra footage is supposed to finally come out late this year. Then we cann all see it again. Cheers.

That'll be great, Tele...I'm beyond embarrassed at my initial faux pas, can't even tell you. I've seen and heard a lot of extra stuff from Let It Be, believe it or not from my stupid comment --- in high school my boyfriend had (still has) giant boot collection of Let It Be sessions. I can never get enough of all that. It's awesome and bittersweet because of where they were at, how they were doing as individuals and as a band. There's a bunch of stuff on youtube, btw. I haven't read the other posts on this thread yet, so it's likely that other people have mentioned that. take care...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 17, 2010 07:46

Swiss, I am lucky to have the director of Let It Be (as well as Rock & Roll Circus) as a friend and customer. Whenever I need a fix of Beatles or Stones gossip or nostalgia, I give Michael a call and he always indulges me. very nice man. He invited me to the premier of R&R Circus back in the 90s. I took my seat in the samll theater at Lincoln center in New York. before the film started I got up to stretch my legs and looked around. Sitting behind me were Keith Richards and Yoko Ono, among others. Lots of fun.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 17, 2010 08:30

Sounds like lots of fun - a wonderful friend and client to have!

Date: March 17, 2010 09:01

Indeed tele...so did you chat at all with Keif or Yoko? I met Yoko once at an art show in Michigan and she was very nice, and very interesting!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 12:33

71Tele
OK, Georgie started playing his trademark slide style around the time of Abbey Road (admittedly he then beat it to death for decades). Can any guitar players here tell me anything about how he developed this particular style (think "My Sweet Lord" and nearly everything after)? I am assuming he used open E for it? Grateful for any insight. Hare Krishna.

(sorry, feeling Beatle-y today).

If you listen to the 'work in progress' takes of Strawberry Fields on Anthology Vol 2, you can actually hear George's signature slide sound pretty much fully formed. This being at the beginning of 1967. He seemingly then kept it hidden for a few years.

My favourite slide playing of his has to be on How do you sleep? off the Imagine album. Restrained, melodic and really funky. He was one of the greats.

Date: March 17, 2010 14:06

YEah, so true about Strawberry Fields! Right on! And I also mentioned How Do YOu Sleep, especially the Lennon Anthology version and one from the Lost Lennon Tapes boot.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 7, 2015 07:06

Roll73
71Tele
OK, Georgie started playing his trademark slide style around the time of Abbey Road (admittedly he then beat it to death for decades). Can any guitar players here tell me anything about how he developed this particular style (think "My Sweet Lord" and nearly everything after)? I am assuming he used open E for it? Grateful for any insight. Hare Krishna.

(sorry, feeling Beatle-y today).

If you listen to the 'work in progress' takes of Strawberry Fields on Anthology Vol 2, you can actually hear George's signature slide sound pretty much fully formed. This being at the beginning of 1967. He seemingly then kept it hidden for a few years.

My favourite slide playing of his has to be on How do you sleep? off the Imagine album. Restrained, melodic and really funky. He was one of the greats.

Sorry if I bump an old thread (but it's a good topic). The "slide" on the early takes on Strawberry Fields are not a slide guitar but a Mellotron. George Martin mentioned this on that Making of Sgt. Pepper" documentary, but he's in error.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home