Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: George Harrison's slide technique
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 12, 2010 05:09

OK, Georgie started playing his trademark slide style around the time of Abbey Road (admittedly he then beat it to death for decades). Can any guitar players here tell me anything about how he developed this particular style (think "My Sweet Lord" and nearly everything after)? I am assuming he used open E for it? Grateful for any insight. Hare Krishna.

(sorry, feeling Beatle-y today).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 05:16 by 71Tele.

Re: OT: George Harrison's slide technique
Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 12, 2010 05:28

I can't really help you, but you might be interested in this current thread at the Steve Hoffman forums.
[stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 12, 2010 05:36

Great topic - can't wait to hear what guitarists say.

sidebar: I love "For You Blue" - you can tell the slide is pretty new for him - how he digs playing, and his lovely self-deprecating "Go Johnny go!" and "Elmore James got nothing on this baby!"

Date: March 12, 2010 05:41

swiss

sidebar: I love "For You Blue" - you can tell the slide is pretty new for him - how he digs playing, and his lovely self-deprecating "Go Johnny go!" and "Elmore James got nothing on this baby!"

It wasn't self-deprecating. It was "Johnny" Lennon on lap steel! Haven't you seen "Let It Be"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 17:19 by 71Tele.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:42

71Tele
Hare Krishna.

(sorry, feeling Beatle-y today).

I think that religion, or cult was invented by a guy named Harry Kirshner.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 07:45

"Go Johnny Go!" Yeah that is Lennon but it isn't a lap steel, but just his guitar on his lap. Great stuff! Actually, Harrison doesn't really play much slide on Abbey Road as well, he really started it with All Things Must Pass. That came from him hanging out with/and playing with Delaney and Bonnie (He is on the On Tour w/ Eric Clapton disc). Delaney introduced George to slide in '68, but George admitted he wasn't comfortable playing it much yet, but by ATMP he was very sure of himself as a slide player. Actually, his slide "trademark" really was from more his solo years. The most famous being My Sweet Lord, which is actually Clapton and Harrison playing in unison, and on the Concerts for Bangladesh it is only Clapton playing the slide bit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 08:34 by whitem8.

Date: March 12, 2010 07:47

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) is another great simple, yet sublime slide part from George! One of my fav's though is Cloud 9, which is scoarching live off Live in Japan, as is Cheer Down.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 12, 2010 08:12

I agree this is a good topic. George Harrison had a very elegant style of slide playing that really wasn't as blues-based as his peers, but more melodic. I have never really tried to figure out his style but I wouldn't mind tackling it someday. And I never knew that 'My Sweet Lord' was his guitar in unison with Clapton's. Tell me more!

Date: March 12, 2010 08:16

That was on the studio take, but on both the Concerts for Bangladesh and Live in Japan it is only Clapton playing the slide with George on accoustic. Interesting isn't it? Another great slide one is Sue Me Sue You Blues, and of course one of the most famous and controversial is his slide on Lennon's How Do You Sleep. I have a longer bootleg version where Harrison is just evil on the slid, with a much longer intro and solo, and extra verses. Great!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 12, 2010 08:21

71Tele
swiss

It wasn't self=deprecating. It was "Johnny" Lennon on lap steel! Haven't you seen "Let It Be"?

Yes, I've seen it many times...but as a teenager and not for about 20 years. Mea culpa I forgot! (jeeesh!)

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 12, 2010 09:25

Actually Lennon does play a lap steel on For You Blue (unknown make). George mostly played slide in open E. He used his Rocky I Am The Walrus Fender strat for slide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 09:40 by terraplane.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 12, 2010 09:50

whitem8
That was on the studio take, but on both the Concerts for Bangladesh and Live in Japan it is only Clapton playing the slide with George on accoustic. Interesting isn't it? Another great slide one is Sue Me Sue You Blues, and of course one of the most famous and controversial is his slide on Lennon's How Do You Sleep. I have a longer bootleg version where Harrison is just evil on the slid, with a much longer intro and solo, and extra verses. Great!

Most parts by Clapton on the Bangladesh concert where overdubbed later on by George and Jesse Ed Davis, as Clapton was too far out at the time.

I always assumed Harrison played slide in standard tuning, not true? His touch and feel are much like Taylor's, and on The Tin Man Was A Dreamer it's sometimes hard to hear who plays what exactly.

Mathijs

Date: March 12, 2010 12:59

I also thought GH to play in standard tuning. I THINK it is in a John Lennon film maybe - where they are in the studio, and you can tell from George's left hand that they are obviously in standard tuning. But at one point he does some of that slide stuff on same guitar.
On "Far East Man" - are they not also both p[laying slide? I think even in unison in the intro; but I always thought Ron's slide on that song is a tribute to George';s playing.

Date: March 12, 2010 13:50

Terreplane I stand corrected! I guess I hadn't watched Let it Be in so long I always remembered it just as Lennon's regular guitar.

Mathijs where have you read that Clapton's guitar parts on Bangla are overdubbed? I have never read that before.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 12, 2010 15:59

Actually I should say the Harrison songs that I am familiar with that have slide are mostly in open E: Sue Me Sue You, Wah Wah, some of the licks on What Is Life. I thought he uses open E slide on Lennon's Imagine album but it has been such a long time since I listened and I am too lazy to try and work it out.

Date: March 12, 2010 17:13

whitem8
"Go Johnny Go!" Yeah that is Lennon but it isn't a lap steel, but just his guitar on his lap. Great stuff! Actually, Harrison doesn't really play much slide on Abbey Road as well, he really started it with All Things Must Pass. That came from him hanging out with/and playing with Delaney and Bonnie (He is on the On Tour w/ Eric Clapton disc). Delaney introduced George to slide in '68, but George admitted he wasn't comfortable playing it much yet, but by ATMP he was very sure of himself as a slide player. Actually, his slide "trademark" really was from more his solo years. The most famous being My Sweet Lord, which is actually Clapton and Harrison playing in unison, and on the Concerts for Bangladesh it is only Clapton playing the slide bit.

You are right. I was really talking about the style he developed on ATMP and later.

Date: March 12, 2010 17:21

swiss
71Tele
swiss

It wasn't self=deprecating. It was "Johnny" Lennon on lap steel! Haven't you seen "Let It Be"?

Yes, I've seen it many times...but as a teenager and not for about 20 years. Mea culpa I forgot! (jeeesh!)

Hey Swiss, no offense intended...By the way the director tells me that the Let It Be DVD with extra footage is supposed to finally come out late this year. Then we cann all see it again. Cheers.

Date: March 12, 2010 17:44

Well it would be fantastic if it did finally come out, but I am not too confident, This is from Wiki:
An anonymous industry source told the Daily Express in July 2008 that, according to Apple insiders, McCartney and Starr blocked the release of the film on DVD. The two were concerned about the effect on the band's "global brand ... if the public sees the darker side of the story. Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves ... There’s all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo’s lifetime.”[41]

Date: March 12, 2010 17:51

whitem8
Well it would be fantastic if it did finally come out, but I am not too confident, This is from Wiki:
An anonymous industry source told the Daily Express in July 2008 that, according to Apple insiders, McCartney and Starr blocked the release of the film on DVD. The two were concerned about the effect on the band's "global brand ... if the public sees the darker side of the story. Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves ... There’s all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo’s lifetime.”[41]

Michael Lyndsay-Hogg told me it was finally coming out. It had indeed been blocked more than once by the powers that be. He told me he ran into Paul on an airplane and Paul agreed it should come out. He has now done all the work: The feature film, extra footage, and a "making of" section. This info is a few months old. I will try to reach Michael and see where it stands.

Date: March 12, 2010 17:55

Wow! that is good news! I am anxiously awaiting it, especially with the new footage. There was a treasure trove discovered in Amsterdam when a bootlegger was busted and the footage was returned to Apple. Also the original remastered version done in '92 was going to include an extra DVD of bonus material, and was production was overseen by Neil Aspinal, however, the release was scrapped...
Let me know what you find out tele! That is very cool!

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: March 12, 2010 18:00

I never thought the "dark side" of what is shown in Let It Be was all that bad. Even the infamous Paul/George fight was pretty laid back. Plus, I've seen a lot of outtakes where the band is laughing and having a good time playing, especially once they moved back to Apple.

Date: March 12, 2010 18:00

whitem8
Wow! that is good news! I am anxiously awaiting it, especially with the new footage. There was a treasure trove discovered in Amsterdam when a bootlegger was busted and the footage was returned to Apple. Also the original remastered version done in '92 was going to include an extra DVD of bonus material, and was production was overseen by Neil Aspinal, however, the release was scrapped...
Let me know what you find out tele! That is very cool!

I'll post something here when I have an update.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 12, 2010 18:05

LET IT BE on youtube...part one of nine. (parts 2-9 are on there as well)

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 12, 2010 19:38

I really love Harrison's touch on slide. Subtle, economical and played with great feel. His solo on "Handle Me With Care" is a text book example of great one and making every note count. One of my favorites!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 12, 2010 19:41

one thing about a guy like harrison - though technically limited - he had a signature that nobody ever quite replicated - you always knew when george was playing....

Date: March 12, 2010 20:21

StonesTod
one thing about a guy like harrison - though technically limited - he had a signature that nobody ever quite replicated - you always knew when george was playing....

I don't think he was as technically limited as people say. Listen to his part in the "three-guitar battle" in The End. It is melodic and fluid, and quite skilled (even though I am more moved by John's honking horns distorted lead line in that song).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 12, 2010 20:28

71Tele
StonesTod

I don't think he was as technically limited as people say. Listen to his part in the "three-guitar battle" in The End. It is melodic and fluid, and quite skilled (even though I am more moved by John's honking horns distorted lead line in that song).

everyone (aside from hendrix) is/was technically limited, so it's a matter of degrees....i think george's limitations, in a sense, were the source for his importance as a guitarist - he did what he did and didn't try to be "something" he wasn't or couldn't be.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 21:18

Mathijs
whitem8

Most parts by Clapton on the Bangladesh concert where overdubbed later on by George and Jesse Ed Davis, as Clapton was too far out at the time.

I always assumed Harrison played slide in standard tuning, not true? His touch and feel are much like Taylor's, and on The Tin Man Was A Dreamer it's sometimes hard to hear who plays what exactly.

Mathijs

Harrison played the slide part on "My Sweet Lord" in standard. I don't know about any other songs.

I'd like to know your source for what you said about Clapton's parts being overdubbed as well. I've never heard that before and besides, you'd think if they were going to overdub Eric's parts, they would have overdubbed that horrible ending solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", but instead they leave the bums notes and all in there.

I know Eric was under-rehearsed but I actually don't think he played all that poorly for most of the show, the exceptions being the songs on which he used that damn big hollow body guitar.

I rather like his playing during the film when he's using a strat, for example on "Wah Wah".

Date: March 13, 2010 00:09

Hihi, I read an interview with Clapton where he said he had no idea why he played that huge guitar, that didn't suit him at all for the Bangla Desh show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 13, 2010 05:35

This seems to be the same guitar (or similar) from the Hail! Hail! Rock N' Roll movie...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home