Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones v ACDC Live
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:07

Angus brilliant? At what? Same tone, same licks over and over and over and over.......

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:20

What's the name of that guy out front who sceeeeeeems ?....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:39

yeah great to see some decent arguments! Actually I agree with many (not all) of the pro Stones comments and repeat I do not suggest ACDC is the "better band". Brian Johnson or whatever his name is an honest battler but obviously no where near Jagger as a singer or front man (in fact his voice is pretty horrible if you ask me). ACDC as a band have no where near the depth, range, complexity and history of the Stones. They have four or five great songs compared to 40 or 50 ( and they didn't even play their two best songs, Long Way and Jailbreak (aka Gloria!!). Or their two great covers ( Baby Please Don't Go and School Days-both brilliant covers by the way). Nevertheless they are a great live "experience" and as such shadow the Stones at their peak. Angus Young plays minor pentatonic licks just like 10 million rock guitarists before and after him-but he plays them very very well. The real point I wanted to make was seeing ACDC suggested what the Stones could be (or could have been) with a decent lead guitarist. Which they haven't had for 36 long years. But that's another debate altogether!!

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:45

and a maybe final word. you don't see too many girls hankering for the chance to show their assets on the video screen at Stone's concerts these days. one's worth seeing anyway

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 19, 2010 00:18

When was the last time the Stones worked up a crowd like this?

[www.vevo.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2010 01:51

All I see is a bunch of drunks.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: February 19, 2010 06:32

Wuudy
If you put personal taste aside, which is the only way to compare something like this, IMHO you can say that AC/DC still sounds very powerfull compared to the stones. Unfortunately, Keith and Ronnie are past there prime more than Angus and Malcom which ahows in concerts.

I love both though but I think AC/DC are overall more consistent these days then the stones.

Indeed. I agree. But my personal opinion is all I have, so I've said it once and I will say it again: AC/DC sucks.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 19, 2010 07:31

NorthShoreBlues2
Wuudy
If you put personal taste aside, which is the only way to compare something like this, IMHO you can say that AC/DC still sounds very powerfull compared to the stones. Unfortunately, Keith and Ronnie are past there prime more than Angus and Malcom which ahows in concerts.

I love both though but I think AC/DC are overall more consistent these days then the stones.

Indeed. I agree. But my personal opinion is all I have, so I've said it once and I will say it again: AC/DC sucks.

...well, you're a Pearl Jam fan. I would expect that.

I am convinced that I am the only person in the world who likes the Stones, AC/DC and Pearl Jam

Date: February 19, 2010 10:50

BluzDude
NorthShoreBlues2
Wuudy

I am convinced that I am the only person in the world who likes the Stones, AC/DC and Pearl Jam

Make that two, even though I think Pearl Jam is a bit uneven.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: February 19, 2010 15:34

BluzDude
NorthShoreBlues2
Wuudy

Lol. Indeed. Yeah, I mean c'mon I do like alot of old AC/DC and to look at it objectively, they do blow the stones off the stage, no doubt. I just couldn't take a whole show, thats probably why I turned down going to see them when I had the chance . . .

But I know alot of PJ fans who like that kind of hard rock, not sure why you would expect it.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 19, 2010 15:49

dcba
"I must say the ACDC gig in Melbourne last Saturday was one of the best concerts I have ever been to"
I got a pre-DL-sample taste of some OZ 2010 shows and what struck me is how slow ACDC are these days. They REALLY drag! The wall-of-sound that comes from the P.A. his this but the aud tapes don't lie.

I hope you also compared this aud tape to the Stones audience tapes of the past 3 world Tours ?? They certainly don't lie !

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: February 19, 2010 17:28

I agree with buffalo7478. I too was at Sarsstock in 2003 and had the same impression. You can't talk to anyone who was there who didn't have the same experience. I used to loathe AC/DC but after seeing them in 2003 I was greatly impressed. First of all Angus Young plays guitar like his life depends on it. I also took my daughter and son to see them in Buffalo last fall after my daughter requested to go. I was less impressed there but part of that was the singing which was notably weaker than at Sarstock. I agree Jagger is a much better singer and frontman. Having said all of this I do have one other observation about Sarstock. Yes AC/DC were the best band on that day but the two best moments of the day happened during the Stones' set. First the way Keith Richards absolutely stared down the people who threw water bottles at Justin Timberlake during his guest spot. I mean you may not like Justin Timberlake but noone is going to throw bottles at a guest of the Rolling Stones and have Keith remain silent about it. Secondly, the actual emotional core of the whole event occurred during Keith's two song set when he sang "The Nearness Of You" dedicated to the people who actually died of SARS. Two tears came down my face during that performance. I hear Keith once received a phone call from Hoagy Carmichael concerning Keith's version of the song on the Honeymoon Tapes. Well somewhere in the universe I would like to think that Hoagy smiled again over that performance.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2010 17:36

"The songs are NOT slow. They are played at the correct tempo - as they were written."

Wrong : it felt looking at a car passing by with 4 flat tires. Can't say it was correct or the way it should be especially after getting (from the same site) their fabulous 1979-11-02 Hammersmith Odeon show...

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: February 19, 2010 18:40

I'll never forget my very first AD/DC concert. August 1976 at the Marquee Club in Wardour Street. Must have been one of their first shows in the UK. I'd never heard of them, and just happened to be there. Pure luck! I was amazed. That 16 or 17 year old guitarist blew my mind, and it wasn't tricky to hear the Stones inspiration, either. We were so struck by this talent that we forgot to drink our beers. My friends and I were not the only ones standing there - with our mouths open, not believing what we heard.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 19, 2010 18:59

BluzDude
NorthShoreBlues2
Wuudy

Your not.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 20, 2010 00:10

They don't have the depth or diversity of material, but they always deliver. And they always sound like a rock band, which quite frankly the modern incarnation of the Stones can't always achieve.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 20, 2010 00:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-20 00:29 by texas fan.

Posted by: folke ()
Date: February 20, 2010 01:07

Nerds!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home