Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones shows in a rainstorm...
Date: February 17, 2010 20:02

Durham,North Carolina in October 2005 ( part of the concert only ) .

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 17, 2010 20:11

Louisville 06...rainyist gig I've ever seen...

Date: February 17, 2010 20:16

IT will always amaze me. How can they play that good, often better, under hard rain? IT must be so uncomfortable.

One funny story, i remember the face of the guy of our hotel when my friends and myself came back from the Den Haag show in 98. Covered with mud from the feet to the balls. For one minute we thought that he would never open the door. We've been very close to be homeless for one night in Den Haag.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 17, 2010 20:18

i've seen other acts play in the rain and it's not at all unusual for them to play even better than usual. forces a better level of concentration, maybe....

Date: February 17, 2010 20:36

Johnny Halliday, our "so called" french rock star, cancelled his stadium show because of the rain in Paris, the same night the Stones played brilliantly in Den Haag.
Concentration is one thing, but as a (bad) guitarist myself, i can't imagine playing guitar on a wet instrument, with wet clothes stuck on my body.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: February 17, 2010 20:42

Voodoo Lounge, Philadelphia, September 22nd. Amazing show, and POURING with rain. Mick and Keith just stood out there...soaking! It was close to the best show of the tour, I thought. Saw 18 shows that tour. They seemed to be much more intense. They had so much more energy than any band at half their age. I will never forget it.

We were all tight down there on the floor, real close, I mean a GREAT time, just pouring. The band kept looking down at us, just grinning.

The thing is about American shows, is the seats have numbers that close, so you can get beer, and do stuff up until the band hits the stage, and not lose your place. I never leave after the band hits.

There was this dude there that ripped his shirt, and had a tattoo on his chest, a tongue, and a heart...said HEART OF STONE on it.

Man I loved that tour, many firsts! Here were some of my favorites played that night, besides the regulars

You Got Me Rockin
Shattered
Beast
Sparks....I kinda liked that song live.
I Go Wild
All Down The Line
Love Is Strong
Monkey Man

Of course BS and JJF

Awesome rain show, they had something to prove, and didn't cut us short one bit.

I love The Rolling Stones, I always got my money's worth.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 17, 2010 20:59

San Diego in the 90's
Giants Stadium NJ
can't pick the exact dates in this moment.
San Diego was a drenching.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 17, 2010 21:07

Giants Stadium, the last show of a 5 night run, I beleive Aug 19th 1994. For a bunch of my friends it was there first Stones show and they loved it. Mick made a comment in between songs to watch out for the brown acid going around..

Posted by: Dick Reinders ()
Date: February 17, 2010 21:13

The Hague, Malieveld 1998
Paris, Longchamps 1995
Nijmegen 2006
Bergen 2006

Date: February 17, 2010 21:27

Hound Dog
Giants Stadium, the last show of a 5 night run, I beleive Aug 19th 1994. For a bunch of my friends it was there first Stones show and they loved it. Mick made a comment in between songs to watch out for the brown acid going around..

Hound Dog was this the show that Counting Crows opened...I vaguely recall they cut their set short on account of lightning, and the Stones just followed quickly, apparently less concerned then the Crows....oooh its all so blurry....

Date: February 17, 2010 21:29

Jumpinjackflash59
i can't imagine playing guitar on a wet instrument, with wet clothes stuck on my body.

and you call yourself a rocker?

Date: February 17, 2010 21:33

Bergen 2006 was pretty wet...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 17, 2010 21:39

Hound Dog
Giants Stadium, the last show of a 5 night run, I beleive Aug 19th 1994.

I was at that show too. A rainy Wednesday night, if I recall. I went on a whim after work. I was able to easily and cheaply buy a ticket from a scalper because of the rain. I could sit wherever I chose to ...

Interestingly, IMO they played better than when I saw them a few days earlier in nice weather . (Could also have partly been my poor tickets a few days earlier...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-18 00:22 by schillid.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 17, 2010 21:44

On the boot Seventh Of July Mick says something right before either Ruby Tuesday or Almost Hear You Sigh about there being a little bit of rain.

I've never played in the rain but I have played in extreme heat and the results were, from what I could tell, almost the same - thoroughly soaked, wet guitar, wet strings, wet everything. It's hard to see, it's hard to play. It can be difficult to play but not nearly as difficult to play as it is in the cold.

Date: February 17, 2010 21:47

skipstone
On the boot Seventh Of July Mick says something right before either Ruby Tuesday or Almost Hear You Sigh about there being a little bit of rain.

I've never played in the rain but I have played in extreme heat and the results were, from what I could tell, almost the same - thoroughly soaked, wet guitar, wet strings, wet everything. It's hard to see, it's hard to play. It can be difficult to play but not nearly as difficult to play as it is in the cold.

what a bunch of whiney wimps here! i played clarinet in the high school marching band through blizzad conditions at the maple festival in vermont! now - THAT'S rock'n'roll, my friends!!!

Date: February 17, 2010 21:51

StonesTod

I don't call myself a rocker. I'm only a pretty bad guitar player who think that playing this instrument is hard enough without rain, wind or cold.

Date: February 17, 2010 21:52

Jumpinjackflash59
StonesTod

I don't call myself a rocker. I'm only a pretty bad guitar player who think that playing this instrument is hard enough without rain, wind or cold.

fair enough. you might try what i did when i realized what a bad guitar player i am: stop playing.

Date: February 17, 2010 21:55

StonesTod
Jumpinjackflash59
StonesTod

fair enough. you might try what i did when i realized what a bad guitar player i am: stop playing.

..unless you hate your neighbors...

Date: February 17, 2010 22:05

StonesTod
what a bunch of whiney wimps here! i played clarinet in the high school marching band through blizzad conditions at the maple festival in vermont! now - THAT'S rock'n'roll, my friends!!!

Ha. Trumpet, middle of winter, over a river down the main street of a town. Go blow that one out your reed!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 17, 2010 22:09

Sheffield 99 and 2006, but by far the wettest Dan Hauge 98.There was a cloud burst as Keith played the first notes of satifaction. I got seperated from party and lost after the show (I was sober btw) and ended up on the wrong tram at the wrong end of the city.Oh how I laughed about that night..................eventually !

sc uk

Date: February 17, 2010 22:13

OK so whatever. Was anyone here at that Seventh Of July Urban Jungle show?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 17, 2010 22:23

Yes I was.Just in front of mixing desk.
Having seen them in 82 including the final show and having gone through most of the 80s thinking it was all over,this was an amazing and emotional day for me. So glad it was recorded by the beeb.

scuk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 22:30 by straycatuk.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 17, 2010 22:23

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 22:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 17, 2010 22:49

MKjan,
Yes it was a blurry day.. yes the Counting Crows opened and I remember their singer slipping a few times on the wet stage and people cheering. Funny a guy almost twice his age then takes the stage and dances his arse off and never slips once.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 17, 2010 22:51

Groningen 1999, although the raim stopped when the stones started the field was a complete mess ..muddy...no way to sit down if your legs getting tired.

First of all it took me 3 hours to get to Groningen 45 min. walk from the parking lot to the venue, 6 hours standing in the field, 1 hour back to the parking lot (because I was tired) 2,5 drive back home (because it was middle of the night), almost fell asleep when driving home Man!!!! that was a fun day...........I only remember they platyed Gimmi A Shelter which waS GREAT.

nEXT TIME A TAKE A HOTEL

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 17, 2010 22:54

DandelionPowderman
Bergen 2006 was pretty wet...
[www.stonesvikings.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: February 17, 2010 23:32

Hound Dog
MKjan,
Yes it was a blurry day.. yes the Counting Crows opened and I remember their singer slipping a few times on the wet stage and people cheering. Funny a guy almost twice his age then takes the stage and dances his arse off and never slips once.

Yeah, the Stones performed well, I think Jagger made a comment to the effect that The Crows were scared, but we're here to rock you, something to that effect.
My friends and I had a great time...

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: February 17, 2010 23:46

Seem to recall a Giants stadium show on the VL Tour... It was on a night I was not there.

Date: February 17, 2010 23:48

StonesTod

I did the Bill Wyman way and started playing bass, which is much easier even if it hurts your fingers. But i quickly realized that girls don't give a shit about bass players (except if your are a Rolling Stone)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 17, 2010 23:58

Yeah, let's not forget Nijmegen 2006. The hottest day of the year, then crazy thunder and torrential rain out of nowhere. Support act Van Morrison got washed off, literally. And local train timetables all screwed up too.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home