Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Where's the EXILE news?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:22

Gazza
...what I was alluding to was Mick's comment in that Italian interview that for the purposes of this Exile release, he considered the 'start' date of the 'Exile' sessions to be July '69, as that was when they first cut 'Loving Cup'.

Its a strange definition. By that yardstick, you could define anything left off 'Goats Head Soup' as a 'Tattoo You' outtake.

That's what's so funny about what he said. What would he say, ha ha, for Sticky Fingers? Post some month 1968? Or like you said, Goats Head Soup? Or Tattoo You? Therefor, 'Save Me' should have been on Tattoo You! I understand what he means, that Exile included work done prior to the actual recording for the album and that they wanted to clear the decks so to speak. But obviously 'Loving Cup' was not 'finished' in 1969 according to what boots we've heard. But that is just that and that only - nobody truly knows as far as the outside world goes.

Which, if these previously unreleased tracks confirm, they did not exactly 'clear the decks'. Maybe they aren't finished (from the initial sessions finished) and that's what he meant, just finished tracks, when he alluded to a clearing of the decks.

Date: February 18, 2010 23:33

Here's some news! It's in regards to a clothing line that will celebrate the 1974 EP reissue of Exile On Main Street!!!! I found this under the rolling stones exile on main street on Google News:

[www.vogue.co.uk]

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:42

So, were the exile songs that were outtakes from Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers rerecorded? Or are the versions on Exile the actual recordings made during the making of LIB and SF?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:47

As you can imagine, definitive info remains a bit sketchy, but in general a lot of the songs come from 1970, with overdubs being added in LA in late 1971/early 72 (there are a lot of session musicians credited, and those folks generally werent at Nellcote or at the sessions in London)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:52

Yes, Sicilian, I am aware of keno's rather odd opinion that Exile is overrated. My response is: They're wrong too.

Date: February 18, 2010 23:58

I'm not going to give it a bump but I don't recall there being anything said about Exile getting a revamp like this in that 'UME To Reissue 19 Stones Albums' thread.

Of course, that thing was entertaining as it was even with its errors.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 19, 2010 00:37

Yes, Gazza, I think that's correct about Highway Child. I didn't report that because the source didn't cite that as the reason when I asked if the song was being used, and I didn't press it. The Stones camp actually seems to think that Aladdin Story and Potted Shrimp were not recorded at the same time. They also seem to have confirmed that Waiting On A Friend was first laid down during Sticky Fingers sessions. It could be that the information we've always had is wrong (which is what my source says), or that the Stones camp is wrong. I know that Scarlet was always reputed to be from a '74 session with Keith and Jimmy Page ("named for Jimmy's daughter"), but I also know that Jagger recorded a solo version. This leads me to believe that it is actually a Stones song from '69-'72 that was not used, and that both Keith and Mick tried to revisit it.

Date: February 19, 2010 00:45

TeddyB1018
Yes, Gazza, I think that's correct about Highway Child. I didn't report that because the source didn't cite that as the reason when I asked if the song was being used, and I didn't press it. The Stones camp actually seems to think that Aladdin Story and Potted Shrimp were not recorded at the same time. They also seem to have confirmed that Waiting On A Friend was first laid down during Sticky Fingers sessions. It could be that the information we've always had is wrong (which is what my source says), or that the Stones camp is wrong. I know that Scarlet was always reputed to be from a '74 session with Keith and Jimmy Page ("named for Jimmy's daughter"), but I also know that Jagger recorded a solo version. This leads me to believe that it is actually a Stones song from '69-'72 that was not used, and that both Keith and Mick tried to revisit it.

Teddy, any more on the Taylor overdub sessions? Have they actually taken place?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 19, 2010 01:39

Gazza
As you can imagine, definitive info remains a bit sketchy, but in general a lot of the songs come from 1970, with overdubs being added in LA in late 1971/early 72 (there are a lot of session musicians credited, and those folks generally werent at Nellcote or at the sessions in London)

For the sake of everyone being on the same page, when one refers to "overdubs" are we speaking about

guitar or other parts added to recording
or
guitar or other parts changed on a recording

Date: February 19, 2010 02:18

TeddyB1018

Quite believable, when one considers how much revision there has been done over the last 10-20 years when trying to pin down songs from these sessions.

The fact that the Stones have recorded so much of their material (in that period anyway) with their mobile studio as opposed to simply recording at regular studios makes it a pretty hard task to get a definitive picture of where and when everything was recorded .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-19 03:35 by Gazza.

Date: February 19, 2010 02:22

The Sicilian
Gazza

For the sake of everyone being on the same page, when one refers to "overdubs" are we speaking about

or

Both, I suppose. Most of Mick's vocals on Exile apparently werent finished until he did them in LA, for example, but a lot of the additional 'fairy dust' such as Al perkins' steel guitar, Bill Plummer's stand up bass, the backing 'choir' on Tumbling Dice, Shine A Light etc were added to the existing basic tracks

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:23

TeddyB1018

If this reissue works out, there is talk of following up with Goats Head Soup and, specifically, Some Girls.

Both of those would be great. What I'd most hope for with "Some Girls" would be the unedited long versions of the songs -- i.e. the 7 min. Imagination and the longer title track.

Sadly, sounds like they won't consider "Black and Blue" which would be incredible with the full versions of the album tracks -- some tasty jamming for sure -- and the many outtakes.

J

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:31

TeddyB1018
In lieu of official news, I have assembled the following from a pretty much unimpeachable source, though things can always change:

In addition to the three Jagger has confirmed, "Following The River", "Plunder My Soul" and "Sophia Loren", look for the following to be on the new CD: "Scarlet" (Stones version, said to be amazing), "Loving Cup" (original version), "I Ain't Signifying" (aka Ain't Gonna Lie), "Aladdin Story" (with unbootlegged original Jagger vocal) and "Soul Survivor" (with original Keith vocal). They are looking to include at least some things that have not been bootlegged in these versions.

Don't look for these to be on this reissue: "Potted Shrimp" and "Highway Child". At least one of these has been determined to come from the Goats Head Sessions ("Potted Shrimp" I believe).

If this reissue works out, there is talk of following up with Goats Head Soup and, specifically, Some Girls.

I can understand them wanting to Deluxe Some Girls, but can't understand why they would Deluxe GHS before Sticky Fingers.

Date: February 19, 2010 03:20

JMARKO
TeddyB1018

Both of those would be great. What I'd most hope for with "Some Girls" would be the unedited long versions of the songs -- i.e. the 7 min. Imagination and the longer title track.

Thats something I've always thought would be a great idea in the CD age. The full length versions of the songs on side 1 of Some Girls would clock in around 40 minutes alone - the same length as the entire released album.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 19, 2010 03:27

misterfrias
An aside -- I wish SWINGIN' PIG would release an ALTERNATE GOATS HEAD SOUP. I really think that album has been (unfairly) maligned over the years. sad smiley

The "Swingin' Pig" are releasing an alternate Goat's Head Soup as we speak.

Date: February 19, 2010 03:32

tatters
TeddyB1018
In lieu of official news, I have assembled the following from a pretty much unimpeachable source, though things can always change:

In addition to the three Jagger has confirmed, "Following The River", "Plunder My Soul" and "Sophia Loren", look for the following to be on the new CD: "Scarlet" (Stones version, said to be amazing), "Loving Cup" (original version), "I Ain't Signifying" (aka Ain't Gonna Lie), "Aladdin Story" (with unbootlegged original Jagger vocal) and "Soul Survivor" (with original Keith vocal). They are looking to include at least some things that have not been bootlegged in these versions.

Don't look for these to be on this reissue: "Potted Shrimp" and "Highway Child". At least one of these has been determined to come from the Goats Head Sessions ("Potted Shrimp" I believe).

I can understand them wanting to Deluxe Some Girls, but can't understand why they would Deluxe GHS before Sticky Fingers.

GHS certainly seems an odd choice. Maybe there are a lot of finished songs left over, just like there are for Some Girls? There certainly are a lot of 'unverified' (ie, uncirculated) titles cut for that record, although as they only recorded in Jamaica for three weeks, its hard to imagine too many songs being developed enough to the extent where they decided to finish them the following year.

Might it also be the case that the majority of finished (or nearly finished) songs that they recorded during the Sticky Fingers ended up being used on Exile (or on the upcoming deluxe version)? Most of whats left could be alternate versions of the released songs (not that thats necessarily a bad thing!)

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 19, 2010 05:19

should be an interesting release, mick seems to really be into it

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: February 19, 2010 05:25

Hillside Blues
misterfrias
An aside -- I wish SWINGIN' PIG would release an ALTERNATE GOATS HEAD SOUP. I really think that album has been (unfairly) maligned over the years. sad smiley

The "Swingin' Pig" are releasing an alternate Goat's Head Soup as we speak.

Thanks for the heads-up, Hillside Blues! I'll keep on the look-out for it.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-19 05:33 by misterfrias.

Date: February 19, 2010 08:33

My guess is like Gazza's, that GHS and SG were mentioned because of the richness of outtakes available, especially with SG. Sticky Fingers would seem to be preempted by the Exile release, as the extras were carried over. Tele - let me be delicate in my answer. Whatever additional instrumental work has been added to the Exile outtakes has been completed and they are being mixed in LA. They are trying to get an authentic analogue sound that Exile fans will hopefully approve of.

Date: February 19, 2010 09:21

TeddyB1018
My guess is like Gazza's, that GHS and SG were mentioned because of the richness of outtakes available, especially with SG. Sticky Fingers would seem to be preempted by the Exile release, as the extras were carried over. Tele - let me be delicate in my answer. Whatever additional instrumental work has been added to the Exile outtakes has been completed and they are being mixed in LA. They are trying to get an authentic analogue sound that Exile fans will hopefully approve of.

OK, Teddy, I can read between the lines. But it seems to me if Taylor were involved they would want to publicize it, not keep it hushed up, so I don't understand the need for delicacy. Thanks for the update.

Date: February 19, 2010 10:56

Just consider the main players, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, and the delicacy of the situation may come into focus for you. Both have to sign off on the mixes. Until this thing is released, we won't know for certain what we'll get, but as of two weeks ago things were on track.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 19, 2010 11:07

TeddyB1018
Just consider the main players, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, and the delicacy of the situation may come into focus for you. Both have to sign off on the mixes. Until this thing is released, we won't know for certain what we'll get, but as of two weeks ago things were on track.[/

So Keith is involved in the project? quote]

Date: February 19, 2010 11:44

As involved as he chooses. He was in LA listening to mixes. Nothing will be released without his approval.

Date: February 19, 2010 14:34

klrkcr
So Keith is involved in the project?

Yeah, Keith mentioned in 'Rolling Stone' back in September that he and Mick had been going through some of the songs to see what was there, so it would appear he's certainly had a fair amount of input.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2010 15:16

Gazza
The Greek
why oh why cant we all get along ?

smileys with beer
Hi Gazza, during the Olympics we are all supposed to have a cease fire ,untill the completion of the games.then we can resume our hostilities .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 19, 2010 16:13

Gazza
tatters
TeddyB1018

GHS certainly seems an odd choice. Maybe there are a lot of finished songs left over, just like there are for Some Girls? There certainly are a lot of 'unverified' (ie, uncirculated) titles cut for that record, although as they only recorded in Jamaica for three weeks, its hard to imagine too many songs being developed enough to the extent where they decided to finish them the following year.

Might it also be the case that the majority of finished (or nearly finished) songs that they recorded during the Sticky Fingers ended up being used on Exile (or on the upcoming deluxe version)? Most of whats left could be alternate versions of the released songs (not that thats necessarily a bad thing!)

Well, for starters, a Deluxe Sticky would have the Eric Clapton Brown Sugar, wouldn't it? You might be right about there being more GHS material in the vaults than Sticky material, but I'd much prefer alternate versions from the Sticky sessions to unreleased songs from the GHS sessions. Besides, How many people are gonna buy a Deluxe GHS? You gotta Deluxe the albums that were big sellers in the first place, like Sticky and Some Girls (the exception, of course, being the not-such-a-big-seller Exile, which is deserving of Deluxe treatment on artistic merit alone).

And with Sticky, you get artistic merit AND commercial viability!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-19 17:02 by tatters.

Date: February 19, 2010 17:51

The Sicilian

or

When one reads in some liner notes (I do not recall ever reading this in any Stones liner notes but other bands) "Additional recording done at" said studio, that's overdubbing. Overdubbing is not necessarily the act of changing what's recorded but adding to - whether they do it for six months on the same track or not because the guitar player or whatever player came up with a better line is moot. It's still overdubbing.

It's all overdubbing. Even if it's 30 some years later.

Date: February 19, 2010 17:56

tatters
Gazza
tatters
TeddyB1018

Well, for starters, a Deluxe Sticky would have the Eric Clapton Brown Sugar, wouldn't it? You might be right about there being more GHS material in the vaults than Sticky material, but I'd much prefer alternate versions from the Sticky sessions to unreleased songs from the GHS sessions. Besides, How many people are gonna buy a Deluxe GHS? You gotta Deluxe the albums that were big sellers in the first place, like Sticky and Some Girls (the exception, of course, being the not-such-a-big-seller Exile, which is deserving of Deluxe treatment on artistic merit alone).

Yep. I'm with you all the way on the SF v GHS front. I'm just lookin' at it from the perspective of whats been left over from each session.

'Deluxe 'em all, baby', I say. Original album + outtakes/alternates CD(s) + dvd

An even better alternative than a box set or two.

Pricier in the long run, but for a band that's created such a great body of work, worth the investment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-19 17:59 by Gazza.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 19, 2010 18:38

Gazza
klrkcr
So Keith is involved in the project?

Yeah, Keith mentioned in 'Rolling Stone' back in September that he and Mick had been going through some of the songs to see what was there, so it would appear he's certainly had a fair amount of input.
Well that's good to hear that Keith is involved/ At least in listening. If not playing.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 19, 2010 23:58

Gazza
tatters
Gazza
tatters
TeddyB1018

Yep. I'm with you all the way on the SF v GHS front. I'm just lookin' at it from the perspective of whats been left over from each session.

'Deluxe 'em all, baby', I say. Original album + outtakes/alternates CD(s) + dvd

An even better alternative than a box set or two.

Pricier in the long run, but for a band that's created such a great body of work, worth the investment.

that would be great, maybe after exile the flood gates will open

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home